[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.7

Demon Hunter
Prev 1 6 7 8 25 Next
you should look at getting some life percentage on your gear. Drop the ruby in your helm for a higher level amethyst. You have a lot of vit, but not very much HP. Your armor level is good, as are your resists, what is your LoH?
10/06/2012 05:49 PMPosted by DirkGently
you should look at getting some life percentage on your gear. Drop the ruby in your helm for a higher level amethyst. You have a lot of vit, but not very much HP. Your armor level is good, as are your resists, what is your LoH?

my LoH is about 1400 w/ 2.5% life steal
At that DPS, LS isn't doing you any favours. I'd drop that for more LoH instead..
10/06/2012 05:56 PMPosted by Archetype

act3 you will need more LoH to survive really. also like dirk said try to find some life% gear it helps you get your hp up higher with less vit.

something else that could help you is not using strafe.
i realize its cool and all. i know this because i use it :p
however, if your gear isnt strong enough it will only kill you at this point in time. maybe in 1.05 when the mechanics are reworked it will be more viable for more people.

i would suggest your secondary ability be..
1) cinder arrow. this will help with killing single target enemies and gives you higher dps and LoH vs single targets.

or

2) cluster arrow. i say this because i notice you have lots of crit damage. it could help you take out targets a little faster.
Get LS once you hit 100k DPS.. Below 75k unbuffed with ShSh? Just go with LoH :)
I liek dmg & disc
does shuriken cloud have the same effect as before pre 1.04 patch?

is crit chance important for tank type build?
10/06/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Morogoth

act3 you will need more LoH to survive really. also like dirk said try to find some life% gear it helps you get your hp up higher with less vit.

something else that could help you is not using strafe.
i realize its cool and all. i know this because i use it :p
however, if your gear isnt strong enough it will only kill you at this point in time. maybe in 1.05 when the mechanics are reworked it will be more viable for more people.

i would suggest your secondary ability be..
1) cinder arrow. this will help with killing single target enemies and gives you higher dps and LoH vs single targets.

or

2) cluster arrow. i say this because i notice you have lots of crit damage. it could help you take out targets a little faster.

Thanks! I think I'll just go with a fat LoH weapon and a socket next time and add LoH to it. Should help a lot.

And yeah, i was only trying out strafe for a bit because you were using it =P. Didn't work out to well and went back to traps, which has been working out a LOT better than shurikens btw.

After a bit more practice I've been able to burn down elite packs in about 2 turrets (so about 1 minute) which I think is pretty darn good. Haven't been dying as much either. I'll try to start buying some more % life gear. Thanks again for the help!
[quote]

i think i went straight down the left side.
he really doesnt do much except die :p
...then again i dont need him except for
1) he is a MF mule
2) his buffs

i know i took the heal, the heal over time, and the resource regen.

also, yes strafe works great in 1.04 and 1.05.
i use it now. check my profile, i even have it on the front page :p

i plan to switch to cull the weak though instead of perfectionist. extra dps for me later. :D

edit: also CoT got buffed again making all chains users even better :)

I guess i have to lower AR for more armour. Too expensive and beyond what i can afford now to have both now but i will be waiting to see how it works in 1.05.

Buffed again? Another stealth buff and nerf? BTW what is the new hellfire ring? They nerf the uber powerful ring? Sorry, was out of country for a few days

Sentry

Cost changed from 10 Discipline to 30 Hatred
Increased from weapon damage from 55% to 88% 175%
Players can now have two turrets active at once, but an 8-second cooldown has been added to compensate
Sentry can no longer critically hit
Skill Rune – Spitfire Turret

Weapon damage increased from 8% to 15% 30%

Skill Rune – Vigilant Watcher

Vigilant Watcher has been redesigned and now reduces the cooldown of Sentry by 2 seconds instead of increasing the duration

Skill Rune – Chain of Torment

Weapon damage increased from 80% to 100% 125%

Some changes on sentry in PTR

Buffed again? Another stealth buff and nerf? BTW what is the new hellfire ring? They nerf the uber powerful ring? Sorry, was out of country for a few days

patch notes link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7390518/7390518

yes, buffed again.
CoT was buffed again on this one (10/4) its been changed twice now. first they tried 100% now its set to 125% weapon damage.
the other sentry runes as well were buffed, but they dont interest me any.

the hellfire ring from finding all the items was fixed (read by most as nerfed). it was apparently scaling with the mainstat and weapon dps damage modifiers and becoming uber OP doing millions of damage.

..and on to stealth changes.
-the watchtower zone changes (moved, and zone size changed)
-the rapid fire change (fire support, 2 rockets. live is 3 rockets)
-the proc change to ember strafe (equilibrium 25% proc, emberstrafe 5% proc)
-the proc change to echoing blast (bandolier 50%, echoing blast 16.5% or almost 50% counting 3 explosions)
-the explosion radius of rocket storm was increased (live 2-3 yards?, PTR 8-10 yards?.. alot bigger)

its possible that rapid fire had its rocket explosion radius changed as well. i cant log on to check tho :P my ptr is messed up.
Thanks for all the updates. I realise in PTR, it is quite difficult to put in more than 2 sentries. PReparation wih the hatred generator seems more useful than battle scars
10/07/2012 09:23 AMPosted by RaveaAngel
Thanks for all the updates. I realise in PTR, it is quite difficult to put in more than 2 sentries. PReparation wih the hatred generator seems more useful than battle scars

ya, prep:punishment is very helpful.

this is the build im currently looking at on the PTR for WW DH :D
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WiSkVj!cXb!ZcZbZb
*make sure to use a cold damage off hand
*optionally use numbing traps instead of cull the weak. then you dont "need" a cold weapon, but it does help.

edit: very crit% demanding build^
you NEED a lot to sustain discipline, to be able to use prep, to be able to strafe, to be able to heal yourself while you kill stuff.... lol
10/07/2012 07:56 PMPosted by Morogoth

*optionally use numbing traps instead of cull the weak. then you dont "need" a cold weapon, but it does help.

you NEED a lot to sustain discipline, to be able to use prep, to be able to strafe, to be able to heal yourself while you kill stuff.... lol

My crit% is very low right now (Maybe 5%?). What do you mean by cold weapon? I am thinking of using my danetta set. Which one is considered the cold weapon? Does it matter which is off hand and main hand?

I would probably use something similar to you.
Strafe demolition,
preparation punishment,
Turret COT
Vault TOC
Hungering arrow cinder / Bola shot
(I have not decided yet but i like hungering arrow at the moment)
Pets
(undecided yet. boar is very tanky and bat is useful for the extra hatred generation)

Passive
Perfectionist
Custom Engineering/Numbing Traps/vengeance for the 2 skills

I will most likely play MP 3. It takes too long to kill anything in MP 5. Gets rather boring
You may look into gloom somewhere in any build running CoT.

You can cast it before your CoT for a 30 second lifestealing chain. You can cast it before everything except shuriken cloud as far as I can tell.

For example, I am currently at 60k dps, which gives a 38k swing, 47.5k/sec CoT@test realm

If I gloom first, the 3% lifesteal will heal ~1400 health/second for 30 seconds, if I can keep something in the crosshairs.

I never gave CoT a chance before or ever really because it is clunky, but it may be the ticket to higher monster levels and seems like the only way to get close to nats without nats.

Edit..gloom only 3% LS on test.
You may look into gloom somewhere in any build running CoT.

You can cast it before your CoT for a 30 second lifestealing chain. You can cast it before everything except shuriken cloud as far as I can tell.

For example, I am currently at 60k dps, which gives a 38k swing, 47.5k/sec CoT.

If I gloom first, the 4% lifesteal will heal ~1900 health/second for 30 seconds, if I can keep something in the crosshairs.

I never gave CoT a chance before or ever really because it is clunky, but it may be the ticket to higher monster levels and seems like the only way to get close to nats without nats.

I think i would need gloom in place of pets or preparation in higher MP. My limited testing in MP5 seems to tell me i run of hatred more often than discipline. With COT as a hatred skill, i will only be using TOC most of the time and preparation when i am desperate, so gloom will be a i will be desperate skill as well LOL.
10/07/2012 09:43 PMPosted by RaveaAngel

My crit% is very low right now (Maybe 5%?). What do you mean by cold weapon? I am thinking of using my danetta set. Which one is considered the cold weapon? Does it matter which is off hand and main hand?

for crit% you will want to be above 25%. i dropped below this since i had to give up archery and its harder to keep disc up (though not impossible).

a cold damage weapon is one that says "x-x cold damage". this is elemental damage.

i suppose it doesnt matter which is your main and offhand weapon. the main point is cold damage weapons (look them up compared to any other) have a lot lower damage potential for their dps. this is because cold rolls lower then all the other ones (since it has a snare). main reason i like having it in the offhand is because it wont get upgrade much likely. if you happen to find an upgrade, or you are looking for one on the AH your main hand is the one that shows up (unless you hit alt) so i just stick my main damage weapon in my main hand slot.

some notes:
cold damage slows the target and so it works great for cull the weak. additionally something i found out is M4D:GR allows the elemental properties of the hit to persist. so if you hit the main target with cold damage, everything around it is hit with cold damage. its pretty sweet.
basically this amounts to anything in the M4D area being:
*snared (easier to hit and control)
*takes 12% damage from M4D on main target and splash damage to others
*15% damage from cull the weak

vengeance makes it more sustainable some pick radius is good.

this build has ONLY your gear and its LoH/LS/LoK to protect you. if you cant survive the hits you may want to try switching to a gloom build.
Thanks for the explanation, I understand your cold damage build better. Unfortunately Danetta weapon set does not have cold damage. Gloom maybe a better option than pets, got to test to find out
10/08/2012 09:38 AMPosted by RaveaAngel
Thanks for the explanation, I understand your cold damage build better. Unfortunately Danetta weapon set does not have cold damage. Gloom maybe a better option than pets, got to test to find out

np, and ya gloom is still good assuming you werent completely reliant on it before.
the gloom+pet build (like the gloom/boar/perf build) can be really tanky!
Update for you guys, the Boar Companion (tested) and most likley wolf and spider (untested), has been Stealth nerfed and die's Very quickly before its even been cooldowned to be able to spawn another, to the point where its nonviable to have on the action bar. I am Very upset about this because the Boar helped me a tremendous amount for my tank build!
10/08/2012 08:24 PMPosted by SoCo
Update for you guys, the Boar Companion (tested) and most likley wolf and spider (untested), has been Stealth nerfed and die's Very quickly before its even been cooldowned to be able to spawn another, to the point where its nonviable to have on the action bar. I am Very upset about this because the Boar helped me a tremendous amount for my tank build!

i heard people talking about this i think maybe yesterday or the day before.
i guess im going to have to go test those critters again.

edit: my boar seems to be doing fine. on mp5 he rarely dies. on mp10 (which i have a lot of trouble doing a die alot) the boar dies, but it takes a significant amount of damage to kill him. half the cooldown is over by the time he dies.

sooo.. i think its probably your gear. your pet gets resists/armor/vit/etc. scaled to it from your gear.