Legendaries need to be redone, AGAIN

General Discussion
Were we not promised epic legendaries for 1.04?

We were given a few really really good ones, but let me just enumerate some legendaries that just simply are not usable & are bad.

Just take a look at these items & compare them to their predecessor:

1 .D2 Maras My favorite ammy from D2... it seemed as though you tried to emulate the stats but it failed because + skills is > +damage on specific skills only.

Required Level: 67
+2 To All Skills
All Resistances +20-30 (varies)
+5 To All Attributes

D3 Maras

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/maras-kaleidoscope

THE BAD: + damage to skills don't have the same effect as +overall skills. +Skills in D2 affected everything, movement, passive-like skills, active skills, resource management etc. The new one has no chance to roll trifecta and has a bad fixed stat attribute.

THE FIX: Make the new maras give 50 to all stats, chance of 150-250 (or 300 in 1.05) max roll on a single primary so we get a little boost to vit str int dex. The all resist is already OK. Just needs to improve on the +skill damage, perhaps raise the values to something that would be relevant like 20-30% damage on a single random skill. Next, give it chance to roll 3 random props to give us the dream of trifecta.

2 .D2 Homunculus Great overall offhand, perhaps the BIS especially for summoner necros. Had everything, high block, resists, plus skills, mana regen props

Defense: 177-213 (varies)(Base Defense: 58-70)
Defense: 58-70
Required Level: 42
Required Strength: 58
Durability: 20
Chance To Block: 72%
(Necromancer Only)
+150-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)
+5 To Mana After Each Kill
40% Increased Chance of Blocking
30% Faster Block Rate
+2 To Necromancer Skill Levels
+20 To Energy
Regenerate Mana 33%
All Resistances +40
+2 To Curses Skills (Necromancer Only)

D3 Homunculus

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/homunculus

THE BAD: Too Low DPS to be useful at all. This is probably the most frustrating one of the lot BECAUSE I PREDICTED THIS WOULD HAPPEN BEFORE THE PATCH. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6308662613

THE FIX: Raise offhand damage - ilvl 62-63 only please no one wants ilvl 58 items in inferno... and if you designed it for hell mode, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. In the patch preview I distinctly remember Andrew Chambers mentioning that he's excited about the new homunculus in particular and would be fun for summoner WD... I guess he thinks we're all bad. Summon CD reduction does not justify a 10k-20k dps drop when we're talking about BIS items.

3.D2 Azure Wrath - Really good IAS on this made this a great weapon in D2.

One-Hand Damage: (102-114) To (115-129) (108.5-121.5 Avg)
Required Level: 85
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Base Weapon Speed: [-30]
+230-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+30% Increased Attack Speed
Adds 250-500 Magic Damage
Adds 250-500 Cold Damage, 10 sec. Duration (Normal)
+1 To All Skills
+5-10 To All Attributes (varies)
Level 10-13 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped (varies)
+3 To Light Radius

D3 Azurewrath

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/azurewrath

THE BAD: 40-50 on all attributes? Did this count for 4 affix rolls or something? The IAS bonus is nice, so is the chance to freeze, but if it has no socket it is worthless.

THE FIX: Socket. More random rolls. Possibly higher IAS so it will be more distinctive and truer to the original. For gods sakes 50 attributes is bad. Refer to my suggestion for Maras.

Here's a list of D2 items that did not transition well and need to be reworked too... will probably offer in depth analysis if I'm not too lazy to. I'm only touching on the D2 legendaries too since they were supposed to be epic...

Tal Rasha set - set bonus is bad, set pieces don't compare to zunimassa hence wiz/wd share 1 set and jacks up their prices, bad item diversity there
SOJ - needs more affixes
Hellrack, Buriza, The Grandfather - either have no socket or ilvl / dps too low
Messerschmidt's reaver - bad attribute distribution again, out done by Skorn by so much
Wiz spike - no random rolls or no chance to socket either
Windforce - not sure about this one, think it's OK but manticore out does it by so much it's now just a follower item mostly
Frostburns - Since trifecta is pretty much what we need on gloves, we pass on this. What's fail here is that in the developer blog preview, it was mentioned that cold damage was the reason ppl used Frosties. Wrong, we used them for the added mana %.

General Comments:

Most fixes I suggested are really quite simple... just a little tweaking of numbers. The reason why I used D2 uniques as an example is because these were the iconic uniques that everyone knows... to be blunt, they were not given justice. I am not excited whenever / if ever I find the legendaries I listed above.

For weapons: Sockets are a MUST. Either let it roll or fixed, doesn't matter.

For the rest, why are we still having these mid ilvl legendaries? Hell mode is a 1 time pass, why the hell would I invest on gear to clear hell mode? Isn't like 90% of the player population in inferno already? Just keep 10% of legendaries in norm/nm/hell and give them good affixes (like Leoric's signet). Give the lower level players good unique items that will make their farming not go to waste, so the inferno mode players will buy their items at high prices since they don't want to do farming in the lower levels. Things like plus EXP is always a great affix for low level gear... we need more of those.

I like how the D3 team took a look at the D2 items and tried to get their qualities & tried to transition them into D3. Good vision... bad execution. You need to have a sense of what is BiS or at least a really really good item. I think one of the main problems in D3 right now is that most legendaries are still quite awful. I don't think this was intended... they were supposed to be at least viable for end-game. Blizzard, please revisit these horrible legendaries and make them better, I'm not asking them to be BIS... just make them have the chance to roll well & not instant salvage/garbage. Otherwise I don't see the point.

NOTE: All D2 item data was taken from classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/ ARREAT SUMMIT
preaching to the choir. GL getting a blue in here.
10/08/2012 07:39 PMPosted by runit3
preaching to the choir. GL getting a blue in here.

I don't need a response... I just need them to read this like they say they do. AND ACT ON IT.
Ironically, I use both the Azurewrathe and Windforce on my Templars and Scoundrel, respectively.
10/08/2012 07:43 PMPosted by SeeknDestroy
And reroll existing legendaries? looool time to regear

This is D3. Historically, we've re-geared with each patch.

10/08/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Tropicalypso
Ironically, I use both the Azurewrathe and Windforce on my Templars and Scoundrel, respectively.

True, they have their uses as follower items but is that what the iconic D2 uniques stand for now?
I think legendaries should only be ilvl 60-63 items only. A player goes from normal to inferno mode in less than a week.

And one of the problems on current legendaries is that their atributes are waaay too random. DPS on weapons should be as less random !@# posible.
Some of the new legendaries are garunteed to be useless because they werent given a random affix (wizardspike, frostburns), others completely invalidate rares in that slot because they are overpowered (the witching hour, manticore), and still more have useless gimmicky procs or effects that are just for show and do nothing for build diversity. Overall I see the legendary update as a failure.
10/08/2012 08:00 PMPosted by DonChuck
I think legendaries should only be ilvl 60-63 items only. A player goes from normal to inferno mode in less than a week.

This is so true. There is literally no reason to create more than 1 of the same character, and with paragon levels people invest time into one class only. 99% of their game time is spent in inferno. I have never ever seen a low level legendary drop in the previous acts, all that art design = wasted
I think everyone is forgetting exactly how many patches D2 went through to get to where it is today.. it wasn't released as a perfect copy.. D3 wasn't either.
each patch everything reset. new economy every patch made it fun!
all legendarys need to come with
main stat
vit
cc and cd as one attribute
indestructible doesnt count as affix
chance to summon meteors for 500k dmg and stun for 2 seconds
LOH
1 socket
Resource regen

This is so true. There is literally no reason to create more than 1 of the same character, and with paragon levels people invest time into one class only. 99% of their game time is spent in inferno. I have never ever seen a low level legendary drop in the previous acts, all that art design = wasted

Completely Agree with this post on all points. Agreed with everything said by the OP so far.

Sockets on weapons and certain legendaries ( Manticore & Skorn ) Are amazing because of CD. CD is to good its gonna get nerfed eventually & Emerald will get nerfed... I'm thinking that may reduce the absolute need to have the socket.

They straight up need to convert many of the lower level legendaries to become Ilvl61+ items, they then can go back and touch up on the leftover lower level legendaries to become excellent leveling items, that will be sort after for that purpose.
I know in a description i read about d3 that they didnt want to make legendaries a focus, like they were must haves like in d2. But, thats all people want. Seriously. Having a legendary over a rare makes you feel soo much better. Its plain and simple.

d2 had a huge selection of uniques (legendaries) to choose from. The sample size of legendaries is too small, you need more. the more you have, the happier people will be.

one quote from this old guy i used to work with when i was 16 that has forever stuck with me is "if it aint broke, dont fix it!" I wish they would look to their predecessor (d2) for guidance. Every move in every patch that people have liked was something from d2. So really, just think about it.
Sockets on weapons and certain legendaries ( Manticore & Skorn ) Are amazing because of CD. CD is to good its gonna get nerfed eventually & Emerald will get nerfed... I'm thinking that may reduce the absolute need to have the socket.

I can't think of a two hand better than skorn and I can't think of a bow/xbow better than manticore. That's straight up wrong, there's gotta be more options than that. They overdid certain legendaries as a previous poster said. Now, the challenge is to re-design the other legendaries to make them comparable at least... The BiS items are Lacuni, Witching Hour, Vile Ward, Innas pants etc. That's why they sell for so much, they are usable by each class and there's not much alternative to them.

I am hoping they don't nerf anything, but instead buff the other items significantly.

I know in a description i read about d3 that they didnt want to make legendaries a focus, like they were must haves like in d2. But, thats all people want. Seriously. Having a legendary over a rare makes you feel soo much better. Its plain and simple.

d2 had a huge selection of uniques (legendaries) to choose from. The sample size of legendaries is too small, you need more. the more you have, the happier people will be.

one quote from this old guy i used to work with when i was 16 that has forever stuck with me is "if it aint broke, dont fix it!" I wish they would look to their predecessor (d2) for guidance. Every move in every patch that people have liked was something from d2. So really, just think about it.

I think the D3 team had really big shoes to fill and they chose to go about it their own way. Their design choices are so radical compared to D2, it's barely recognizable anymore as a sequel. They're slowly learning just as you said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't get me wrong though, they did a lot of improvements too... but the item hunt at it's core feels wrong. People attribute it to the Auction house mostly, while it does factor in, it's more on the lack of variety & uninspired items that they need to work on.
Bump for Legendary JUSTICE
blizzard should hire you dude~ =)
10/09/2012 04:12 AMPosted by Flecher87
blizzard should hire you dude~ =)

I know right? :)

Seriously they need a players perspective sometimes.... I feel the devs are out of touch with their player base especially when it comes to item/class balancing
The whole problem is that everything is based on weapon damage. What a horrible system...