Please Make Game Colorblind Friendly

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
10/09/2012 11:29 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We try our best to make our games as colorblind-friendly as possible, and in patch 1.0.5 we will be adding some new features which will make Set Items and Legendaries more visible. When one drops, not only will a new audio effect be played, but it will also ping your mini-map and a beam of light will shine upwards from the item to make it extremely noticeable within the scenery of Sanctuary.

Is this a some attempt at humor? Because it sounds like it.
10/09/2012 11:32 PMPosted by uwish
We try our best to make our games as colorblind-friendly as possible, and in patch 1.0.5 we will be adding some new features which will make Set Items and Legendaries more visible. When one drops, not only will a new audio effect be played, but it will also ping your mini-map and a beam of light will shine upwards from the item to make it extremely noticeable within the scenery of Sanctuary.

I just...

Nevermind...

Well, I have to...

REALLY?! THIS is what you're investing your time and man-power into? Shining rays of light? A mini-map ping makes sense, maybe even an alert in the text-box which warns you to check the items on-screen more carefully because a rare dropped... But I don't need Musak and a huge God-Ray shining down...

Man you just made me laugh so loud :DDD !!!

I just...

Nevermind...

Well, I have to...

REALLY?! THIS is what you're investing your time and man-power into? Shining rays of light? A mini-map ping makes sense, maybe even an alert in the text-box which warns you to check the items on-screen more carefully because a rare dropped... But I don't need Musak and a huge God-Ray shining down...

Would be funny to see you keep hearing the pinging and you still can't find the legendary when it was dropped by another player across the map. I would say have an option to turn the pinging off if you can't find the legendary.
i dont care about this game being colourblind compliant because i am not colourblind

i would rather they focus on patches that bring extra content like 1.0.5

I just...

Nevermind...

Well, I have to...

If you wonder why we don't see many blue posts anymore just look in mirror.
i dont care about this game being colourblind compliant because i am not colourblind

i would rather they focus on patches that bring extra content like 1.0.5

Thanks for clarifying you care only for yourself, and not anyone else. As such, don't be surprised that people can care less about what you want as well.
Sound drop, short ping then beam of light.

Speaking of colors there's something that bothers me...In game the inventory background color of SET items are brown(same as legendary) and not green. Should be green like in our profiles or no?
LoL! I can see a great ray of light highlighting a useless piece of legendary (at least most of the time).
I have to agree with the OP and several others. I am either not getting any legendary or set item drops at all or am missing them when they do fall thanks to this constant online BS causing the loot to fall long after I'm past it (latency). Only stuff I have I had to trade for or GAH.

I got slaughtered a few nites ago, ran back the way I had came from and found Fist of Az laying on the ground. How the heck this happen?? I always use ALT to look for loot after a cluster of mobs, to look for the almost (nearly) invisible tomes and jewels and never once seen this weapon. I'm guessing it popped out of a container/corpse as I was moving my toon around after I moved on. Yet another fail on being constantly online gaming.

It def isn't this comp that is a guarantee, although my 15 megs down/ 5 up might have caused some sort of lag where I missed this drop.

I never played D2 so I thought maybe I just had no idea on how to farm legendary drops or if they were just something other ppl always get except me. I'm lucky to get a weapon with 700 dps at 325 mf.

Trolls, go take your goats and bridges and bother someone else. We all know you get 20 legs everyday and several set pieces and everyone else is fail, now !@#$. XD

I love the idea :) Will make finding Legendaries feel all the more exciting and memorable. And yes, the ping on the map makes a huge difference. The column of light is a good touch and probably only took a few hours to implement.

From someone that suffers from being partially colorblind thank you so very much!

A further optional feature request is to do some sort of low level highlighting frame around set and legendary items in inventory. If your feeling abitious, provide a color wheel so that color blind folks can pick a visible contrasting color. I have to mouse over everything to find these pieces and always worry that I will DE the wrong thing on accident because I did not notice the color.

Thanks again for a wonderful game.

I just...

Nevermind...

Well, I have to...

Yes, making the game more accessible is a bad thing... I mean, it's not like their are organizations devoted to awareness for the less-abled. Gee, what a horrible thing. Next thing you know, Blizzard is going to give to charity!!! How dare they stoop to this level! /smh @ you
10/09/2012 08:07 PMPosted by ymwong
I wish they had a function where you could change the colors in the game to make it so color blind people could tell the difference between a set drop and a rare. I'm sure a lot of other people have problems too...

totally agree!
hold alt+ctrl, mouse over the items laying on the ground and check the stats...
Maybe having a voice singing whenever a legendary item drops.

That would be better than a beam of light shining upwards from the item to make it extremely noticeable within the scenery of Sanctuary.

OOOOOOOouch!
10/09/2012 11:33 PMPosted by Google337

yo tell your developer to make the ping last forever until you pick up the god damn legendary items ok?

not ping for 3 seconds and disappear..

thanks
Maybe have it diminish over a period of 3 or 5 seconds, but not entirely vanish.
Why are you trying to play a video game if you're blind/deaf go read a book or wank or something LOL blizzard please dont bother with these people, put effort into actual content for the rest of us

Okay, so, speaking as a colorblind player, while I am grateful for the legendary fix (it is badly needed), your colorblindness support is incredibly lacking in this game. Here are the four major, major issues remaining:

• Your health bars are red on black. I cannot read a monsters health bar without squinting at it really hard. It all just looks black.
  • The health globes are red on dark backgrounds. At a glance, the globe looks exactly the same to me when it is completely full and nearly completely empty. I play Hardcore. This is a problem.
  • Set pieces and rares look exactly the same. The yellow of rares and the green of the set pieces are completely interchangeable for me, just as others have mentioned
  • The colorblind mode, eet does nothing. I honestly have no earthly idea what the colorblind mode changes. After discussing the mode with other colorblind players, they have no idea either. This is either brilliant trolling or a very poorly implemented function.

I know this will probably get lost in the morass that is the forums, but it badly needs to be said.

P.S.- On an entertaining/pathetic note, I played Diablo 2 for about 9 years as a Barbarian before I realized the world turns green when you are poisoned.

this is exactly the bs i foresee coming. I mean don't get me wrong, i am sympathetic to colorblindness. and I am not saying this is a bs medical condition. what i am saying is, this is a video game. where do we draw the line on catering to people's needs? will we make improvement for quadriplegics? what about deafness? or dare i say blindness? i think by addressing directly to this thread is the wrong move. if you want to make changes indirectly to help these people, that's fine. but now the flood gate is open. and good luck.

The amusing thing here is that people responding to the guy I am quoting are quoting my original text too, so the net result of his post is more visibility for my feedback. So thanks for your efforts.

The point is, a Blizzard staff member showed up and claimed that Blizzard had good support for colorblindness in this game, which is simply not true, though the legendary change is a step in the right direction. I then gave feedback on how they could actually make that a true statement.

The changes they would need to make are fairly simple. All they would have to do is to tweak the already existing and useless colorblindess mode to change some colors in the UI here and there. This has nothing to do with you. Move along now.
Is this thread for serious? You can see that an item is a set item when it has flavour text and shows that the item shows the various pieces of the set. I guess it would take all of 5 minutes to add an option to change this, but knowing Blizztard, it'd take about 12 years before they released it, and then it'd still not work properly anyway.