Test on this Loot Server tinfoilhat BS

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next
I have some friends on the inside who have access to these records (they are not publicly available), and all of them confirm this theory.

In fact, the difference is pretty large. Like somewhere in the 300-400% increase range.

This data has been collected over 10,000+ games.



Why hide the data if it exists?

The theory is known by everyone. Surely they would be happy to share their data and take the credit for proving a widely known theory.

As we all know, extraordinary claims (theories), require extraordinary proof/data.

IE not a total lack of any data or saying your mate has the data but wants to keep it secret.
anecdote ≠ proof

correlation ≠ causation

/thread
anecdote ≠ proof

correlation ≠ causation

/thread


Perhaps.

Though if you have not done so already, follow the guide and try it yourself. Report back your findings.
No thanks.

Just for the same reasons I don't try to follow what my horoscope suggests each day.

When someone presents some *evidence* or if Blizz ever confirms any of the theories then they are worth looking at/acting upon.

Until then its /tinfoilhat mode.
correct !!

It's pretty much confirmed if you ask me.

Blizzard didn't make random loot, they just made random servers with loot and randomized your chances to join those servers.

Don't be surprised if next patch the servers go down every hour and randomize their drops based on IP to mask it.

Next theory to prove is that certain accounts are "blessed with drops" because I have a feeling its true.

I have two accounts, one account has more MF never gets drops, another account has no MF and it just rains legs on it all day, the higher paragon goes though the worst it gets (less drops).

They probably blessed about 10% of the accounts with bonus legendary find.

they probably want 90% of the players buying from 10% that gives you unofficial price control.

If you guarantee 10% of the players get drops than your guaranteeing that the other 90% will be forced to BUY from them on RMAH.

The basic model of the RMAH requires such a setup in order to guarantee that it is used and profitable.

Thats why they hide the names of sellers on RMAH.... because half the items up there are probably from the same 10 % of players and players would notice that they are always buying from the same people.
Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but these address commonalities are likely the result of load-balancing. It is highly unlikely that any of these IP's are associated with a single server node, rather a cluster of them, being distributed via round-robin for load balancing. Sure, you may run into the same IP on occasion, but they are likely all going the same place overall.

They probably have multiple site locations which replicate data back and forth, but other than that, it would be a bigger headache to maintain a server with it's own specific ruleset and drop list rather than apply the variable at a global level. Having all nodes synonymous makes it easy to pull nodes in and out of the cluster quickly for maintenance and hardware failures. Blizzard would be crazy not to do this.

Anyways, I'm not pretending to know everything, I'm guessing like the rest of us. I happen to do this for a living but this is the internet, so I'm sure you've heard that one before.
correct !!

It's pretty much confirmed if you ask me.

Blizzard didn't make random loot, they just made random servers with loot and randomized your chances to join those servers.

Don't be surprised if next patch the servers go down every hour and randomize their drops based on IP to mask it.

Next theory to prove is that certain accounts are "blessed with drops" because I have a feeling its true.

I have two accounts, one account has more MF never gets drops, another account has no MF and it just rains legs on it all day, the higher paragon goes though the worst it gets (less drops).

They probably blessed about 10% of the accounts with bonus legendary find.

they probably want 90% of the players buying from 10% that gives you unofficial price control.

If you guarantee 10% of the players get drops than your guaranteeing that the other 90% will be forced to BUY from them on RMAH.

The basic model of the RMAH requires such a setup in order to guarantee that it is used and profitable.

Thats why they hide the names of sellers on RMAH.... because half the items up there are probably from the same 10 % of players and players would notice that they are always buying from the same people.


Wow.

This actually makes sense. (not trolling)
correct !!

It's pretty much confirmed if you ask me.

Blizzard didn't make random loot, they just made random servers with loot and randomized your chances to join those servers.

Don't be surprised if next patch the servers go down every hour and randomize their drops based on IP to mask it.

Next theory to prove is that certain accounts are "blessed with drops" because I have a feeling its true.

I have two accounts, one account has more MF never gets drops, another account has no MF and it just rains legs on it all day, the higher paragon goes though the worst it gets (less drops).

They probably blessed about 10% of the accounts with bonus legendary find.

they probably want 90% of the players buying from 10% that gives you unofficial price control.

If you guarantee 10% of the players get drops than your guaranteeing that the other 90% will be forced to BUY from them on RMAH.

The basic model of the RMAH requires such a setup in order to guarantee that it is used and profitable.

Thats why they hide the names of sellers on RMAH.... because half the items up there are probably from the same 10 % of players and players would notice that they are always buying from the same people.


Or perhaps it's possible that those few percent of players just brute force their way straight through the RNG by playing nonstop?
Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but these address commonalities are likely the result of load-balancing. It is highly unlikely that any of these IP's are associated with a single server node, rather a cluster of them, being distributed via round-robin for load balancing. Sure, you may run into the same IP on occasion, but they are likely all going the same place overall.

They probably have multiple site locations which replicate data back and forth, but other than that, it would be a bigger headache to maintain a server with it's own specific ruleset and drop list rather than apply the variable at a global level. Having all nodes synonymous makes it easy to pull nodes in and out of the cluster quickly for maintenance and hardware failures. Blizzard would be crazy not to do this.

Anyways, I'm not pretending to know everything, I'm guessing like the rest of us. I happen to do this for a living but this is the internet, so I'm sure you've heard that one before.


Agreed. Still, every server on a cluster is allowed to pull local config files, like property files.

I don't like this tinfoil hat business, and you can take a look at my profile. I'm not well geared on any of my characters, but I've killed about 8k elites and haven't seen a single set item, and in all this time, only TWO legendary drops.

It's just annoying, really. I'm almost giving up on this game.
What a completely stupid and pointless waste of time.

I feel sorry for anyone who even comes to consider the possibility that their loot is governed by which server they are connected to. Just to even reach that initial conclusion is a sign of a ridiculously cynical and conspiratorial mindset. Well withdrawn from reality.

Same with the idiotic idea of "blessed with drops" or otherwise innate MF on certain characters. It's absolutely idiotic. Pretty much all of you are in desperate need of a skeptical education. I recommend starting with things like confirmation bias.


You hit the nail on the head.

Most of this thread reads as "I know what gifts you got me mom, so why don't you just tell me?!!!!"
Real question: when you find a "good server", if you leave the game when you finish a run and start a new one, does it reset? How are people staying on the same server for multiple runs if this is true?

As for all the "this is real" v.s. "you're all bat @#$! crazy", I put myself in the "don't know enough about the science and technology behind servers to have an opinion" category. I'm fairly certain legendaries can drop from any server, even, odd, above or below 100, as evidenced by people posting their findings. This is irrespective of trends, it's just a fact.

However.

I would actually be willing to try this out when I get home. Not because I think people have unconvered an amazing exploit, but because there's no real harm in trying. Unless it takes 30+ minutes to generate a "good server", I might try to get on one, and if I find a legendary, or multiple legendaries in 1 run, I might try again. It's why I sometimes buy a random lottery ticket, because hey it *might* turn out. Probably won't. But it's fun for a moment. And at this point in the game, I'm willing to try anything that makes farming a little more exciting and less monotonous.

As another anecdote, my legendaries have come both in continuous streams, and in bunches. I'm paragon 35 now, and have found exactly 20 legendaries (2 set) since 1.0.4. I had a string of 1-2 per day (which was about 6-7 Alkaizer runs each day) for 4 days straight, and I haven't found anything in the last 4 paragon levels. That's just RNG. Though I should mention that I'm a WW barb and I always have the uncomfortable feeling that one of my tornados has killed a mob and it dropped a legendary and I just didn't see it... totally can't wait for 1.0.5 to remedy that!
Anyone know the answer to the server switching question?
It takes roughly 20 seconds to join a game, run netstat -n, and the leave,. Every time you start a new game, it changes the connection.

Now, I write software for a living, and to me, the theory is total garbage... HOWEVER... I have noticed better drops on the supposed loot servers, and it isn't' out of the question that they use a machine specific attribute during the seeding of the random number generator.
Server 69, 76 and 78 are the way to go ;)
I just wish there was a quicker way to get into the .7x servers.
12.130.245.80
US
act3
369% (with nv)
2 set amulet (traveller's pledge, blackthorne)

strange coincidence, 2 set amulets in 1 game
...

I would actually be willing to try this out when I get home. Not because I think people have unconvered an amazing exploit, but because there's no real harm in trying. Unless it takes 30+ minutes to generate a "good server", I might try to get on one, and if I find a legendary, or multiple legendaries in 1 run, I might try again. It's why I sometimes buy a random lottery ticket, because hey it *might* turn out. Probably won't. But it's fun for a moment. And at this point in the game, I'm willing to try anything that makes farming a little more exciting and less monotonous.


Thank you for actually being willing to try rather than letting your doubt cause you to simply refuse.

I personally doubt it makes any difference. However, I was willing to put forth the 15 minutes of effort to report back my findings. Whether they were founded or not is a totally different story.

What I can say is that last night I did a single Alkaizer run that took about 15 minutes on one of those listed servers and found a legendary just a couple minutes in. Was it a coincidence? Probably. But it does make me wonder...

Join the Conversation

Return to Forum