How to drop or sell [Plan: Staff of Herding ]

Bug Report
I have the same problem and all ten characters are being used (I, incidentally, am annoyed at ONLY being allowed 10 characters but that's the subject of a different problem and thread) so DELETING a character to get rid of it is stupid and annoying. Really, we need to be able to drop useless items or at least, as suggested, sell to a merchant for 1g so that unneeded items can be gotten rid of. Removing the ability to drop or get rid of something is just unacceptable.
ok
11/30/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Friar
I have made multiple comments, but still NO FIX?!?

And why would your comments, or those of anyone else on this forum, make this get fixed any faster? Programming requires work, not just wishes. If anything, every comment just delays some fix by a couple seconds, because somebody has to take the time to read them. And at the rate people post to this forum, it's no wonder bugs get fixed so slowly.

Lylirra did post their plans for fixing this issue in a thread in the general forum:
11/09/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Lylirra
The Staff of Herding recipe is currently bugged, so it's kind of difficult to get rid of (i.e. put the recipe in your stash, create a new character, move the item to the new character's inventory, and then delete the character). We've already got a fix planned, though, that will allow you to drop the item on the ground or "sell" it for 0 gold to a vendor.
F > having less than 10 chars
> put the plans in your stash
> create a new char
> put the plans on that char from the stash
> delete this char

ELSE IF > having 10 chars
> delete the least used one

Quote: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004457196
hey..same problem with the staff of herding. Can't you guys add a special NPC where you can sell this if you grab it by mistake?
The simplest (and possibly code-safest) way is to simply permit the blacksmith to learn this recipe again.

That way the correct user behavior is always the same: take it to the blacksmith and hit "train", and the user doesn't have to figure out whether he already knows it or not. Perhaps on second learns (or even every learn) the blacksmith can kick back some gold or mats, so this is worth doing. Since the recipe drops in normal mode, a few gold and normal mats makes sense in all cases.

Bugwise, worst case is the blacksmith would stop rejecting any recipe he already knows, which I don't see as all that big a bug.
Hi guys,

We changed these items to not be dropped in the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6457499"]1.0.3 patch[/url] because players were throwing them away and then reporting that the item "disappeared". The developers are currently looking for alternatives for this, but right now it is intended for the item to not be dropped.

busticat3d has a good workaround for you to use in the meantime.

Suggestions -
1 - Non discardable items should be allowed to be dropped only in a specific area(s) (Cain's house, Boss Arenas, etc...)
2 - Non discardable items should be allowed to be sold at wandering merchants.
3 - Make a dumpster or trashcan, thats not similar to the chest, located on the other side of the waypoint directly opposite of the chest for all items to be re-circulated in the server like normal.

I dont know.. Your the experts.
think i will make a new toon put the plans on the toon's person and delete that toon
Just make a new toon put the plans on the new toons person! and DELETE that toon!!! Plans be gone..lol
1.07 patch was introduced, however, the problem of getting rid of some items still exists.
This applies not only to the plan for the staff. A similar problem is also with the staff already made. The infernal machine can not be disposed of in any way.
It is enough to make it possible to sell for 1 gold to the trader in the city. In this way you can sell the parts reqiured to create a ring of hell fire.

What should a player who has 10 characters on a championship level do?
Getting rid of the unwanted itens by removing one of these characters is absurd! : (
Patch 1.0.7 is currently on the PTR, and not on the live client. According to the patch notes, it fixes both the staff and the plans:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8414570/
  • Plans: Staff of Herding can now be dropped on the ground, or sold to a vendor for 0 gold
  • All Staves of Herding can now be sold to a vendor for 0 gold

The Infernal Machine is consumed on use, and thus there is a way to get rid of it.