some tips for farming keys/recipe ...

Hardcore
for my HC friends ><

if you don't need help, move along as there is nothing to see here! (lol) this is for those individuals who struggle and want to farm more/better/faster/SAFER.

act 4 (Silver Spire 1)

first off, for me personally, a4 keywarden (kw) is/was the hardest - the "reduce healing by 75% is a big time debuff". so what i did is carefully clear EVERYTHING is silver spire 1 (which is where he is) and then AS SOON AS i spot him on my screen, i hauled !@# back to the portal that i arrived from. he would jail me once or twice, but use a CC-breaking ability and continue. once at portal, if you have enough life, do some damage to him - as much as you are comfortable with BUT STAY CLOSE to portal (he does a knockback/jailer combo sometimes) and click the portal as needed to avoid a HC death. once thru the portal, you can sit and regen and wait for CDs to come available again then when ready, go back thru portal and rinse/repeat as needed until he is dead.

i recommend trying this on mp0 then 1 then 2 etc .. personally i think the KW is +2 higher than the other mobs/elites in the zone - meaning that if i can comfortably clear mp5 for example, then he is mp7 which of course scares me into only doing mp3 or even 2 so that i can farm him without much risk of death. using this method means you can farm him at higher mp levels with less risk.

lastly, and this applies to all acts for farming keys/recipes .. select the best quest line so that an NPC will aid you. yes, i know, they don't do much in the way of dps - but they can provide a nice blocker/distraction. when properly utilized, you can stand behind Tyrael and let him shield you from damaging attacks (some, not all). the same goes for Leah - she can eat some of those nasty fire balls if you position yourself properly.

that being said, for act 4 farming, select PRIME EVIL quest and when you get to Silver Spire 1, Tyrael will join you (the downside is you must 5 stack without using silver spire 2)

act 3 (Stonefort)

he's just a pain .. lots of cold on ground - raining bodies - illusionist ability - teleporting ...

save your CDs to escape here as needed and regroup. nothing says you have to die while attacking him .. RUN AWAY if you need to and teleport out and heal and come back.

choose SIEGEBREAKER quest line and first teleport to RAKKIS CROSSING WP and then Tyrael will join and aid you for the remainder of the session (even 5 stacking)

act 2 (Dahlgur Oasis)

pretty straightforward (for me as melee tank anyhow) .. does mortar and vortex and spinning thing like other mobs in area .. again, use caution and clear safe area that you retreat back into if you need to.

choose BLOOD & SAND quest line and Leah will aid you (even with 5 stacking)

act 1 (Fields of Misery)

to be honest, i'm not sure what he does - i close my eyes (as melee) its pretty easy - perhaps someone else can provide more/better information.

select THE DOOM IN WORTHAM to have Leah help you get 5 stacks and kill him.

i hope this helps at least one person not die and if so, it was well worth my few minutes to post this ... helping others = WIN

take care out there

be safe

GOOD LUCK
no +1?

no trolls?

the website must be down for maintenance ><

lol, at least 11 people have viewed ...
Thanks for the writeup. I still dont get this whole process, care to explain?

Do I need a key from the key wardens in each act to fight the uber bosses? I havent really searched for the answer to this, because I feel that I will die to the uber bosses, heh.
here are some links to help explain (from blizzard)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7540457/?utm_content=left-banner&utm_medium=launcher&utm_source=internal&utm_campaign=d3

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7597724/New_Event_The_Infernal_Machine-10_15_2012

first off - you're welcome

secondly - uber bosses have a chance to drop "organs" .. there are 3 random different uber boss encounters that you may face. you have no control over which you face if you only have one portal device. that being said, if you have 3 portals and use them all one at at time, you will get a random 1 in 3 chance for a certain uber boss - but in that same game, if you then make another portal, you cannot get that same uber boss encounter so you will get one of the other 2 and then after that, if you make a third portal, you will get the last remaining encounter. you need 1 of each encounter organ to finally form a "HELL RING" which can be a very, very, very nice legendary ring.

ok, i sidetracked a bit there ... basically, you need a key from a1 & from a2 and from a3 and then in order to make the plans, you need a recipe which is found in a4. all 3 keys as well as the recipe have the exact same drop % rate which is ... in mp0 = 5% and mp1 = 10% and mp2 = 20% and every higher mp# you raise it to, there is 10% greater chance for drop .. all the way to mp10 which then gives you 100% drop chance.

the very most deckout players in the world are farming mp10. DO NOT TRY if you are reading this - you will your character to the first white/trash mob you try and kill ><

if you were in inferno pre-patch and, for example, cleared a1 .. that is probably in my estimation, equivalent to running on mp1-mp2. so doing mp0 (if you are at that level) should be much easier. WARNING: if you could clear INF a1 pre-patch and now are able to do some mp2, do not try a3 keywarden or a4 keywarden - or do so at your own risk. i would suggest trying mp0 then mp1 then ... see how it goes and raise as you feel comfortable with.
10/19/2012 08:31 PMPosted by Palatinae
when properly utilized, you can stand behind Tyrael and let him shield you from damaging attacks (some, not all). the same goes for Leah - she can eat some of those nasty fire balls if you position yourself properly.

Note that you can do this in general against any mob that has something you don't want to hit you as long as you have *any* npc you can stick between the thing you don't want to get hit by, and you, as long as it's something the npc will stop. I have no idea how many times I've intentionally moved so I could put my templar between myself and the succubi tracking-debuff-ball, but it's a *lot*. (although that debuff may not actually matter that much, depending. I avoid them if I can anyway, and that's one of the ways I do it).

Just wanted to throw that out there, in case there's someone who benefits from it.
Note that you can do this in general against any mob that has something you don't want to hit you as long as you have *any* npc you can stick between the thing you don't want to get hit by, and you, as long as it's something the npc will stop. I have no idea how many times I've intentionally moved so I could put my templar between myself and the succubi tracking-debuff-ball, but it's a *lot*. (although that debuff may not actually matter that much, depending. I avoid them if I can anyway, and that's one of the ways I do it).

Just wanted to throw that out there, in case there's someone who benefits from it.

Awesome - ty Anomie

you should see me farm elites in a place like Field of Misery or Dalghur Oasis - all of those great obstacles to hide behind (like trees and buildings and grassy islands) ... whenever i get an affix with arcane, i run for them and simply kite them around and around and take almost zero damage. with practice you can line them up/bunch them up and "line of sight" them around a mini-corner and basically their special abilities (charge, vortex, mortar, knockback etc) won't hit you which allows for maximum melee time. this works very well in the Keeps (in act3) as well - except for teleporters ><
i like getting Leah and Tyreal through current questline, very nice
My act4 run -

Roll the last part of the kill Diablo quest.

Do level 1 and level 2 where the large black things you destroy to move past are, the corruption or whatever. (The first actual area in act4)

Go in all side dungeons, most of them have R chests, or elite mobs. Once at 5 stacks take the portal to Crystal colonnade and walk to spire 1.

Slowly clear the area, take care not to double pull, a nasty dual champion pack can be fatal.

For fighting the warden:

I figured out his drain life spell doesn't take effect for a little bit into the fight. I hit blinding flash and pummel him until it runs out and then I get a seven sided strike in. At this point I just wait for blinding flash to come back and if he uses the life draining skill and it gets me down to about 30% I pop serenity. By this time blinding flash should be up and repeat.

I did about 6 runs last night and I plan to do more today. I joined up with a buddy and it was significantly easier with 2 monks than solo. (We both pretty much equal in dps / armor)
Guide looks good, what class are you? I try pulling up your pforile but it shows your WoW char. And did you get a Hellfire ring?
Good stuff Fatzero! (ty)

10/20/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Immortal
Guide looks good, what class are you? I try pulling up your pforile but it shows your WoW char. And did you get a Hellfire ring?

I am a Barbarian 60(19). http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/palatinae-1188/hero/27358006
i had 6 keys (2 of each) so i have 2 portal devices now ... am grinding out a 3rd today and then going to team up with some in-game friends (i hope) that also each have 3 and hopefully get my ring this weekend - altho we aren't going to do the Ubers on very high MP so more than likely will need a second set of (3) portals to get organs needed.

act 1 (Fields of Misery)

to be honest, i'm not sure what he does - i close my eyes (as melee) its pretty easy - perhaps someone else can provide more/better information.

update: i remember what he does (sort of) ... a knockback (not very often) and he shoots 3 fireballs (one left - one middle - one right) which either don't hit melee or are irrelevant based upon a decent amount of +atr. basically, i encounter him and walk him over to a wall and back him up to the wall and then pin him up against the wall so he doesn't move and i pummel him until dead and LEAP if need be after knockback.

Get those rings!

good luck and be safe ><
bump to keep on front page

~in hopes of eliminating/reducing the "rip threads" about keywardens~

also, feel free to share helpful tips here as well

IT'S GOOD FOR THE GAME!
update on Act3:

altho the keywarden can probably spawn anywhere in Stonefort, i have found that over 50% of the time he is after the 2nd catapult and usually closer to the 3rd.

my last pass there, he was neatly tucked into a cubbyhole type area and it was SO WIN ...

after 2nd catapult area, go down the stairs (only way to go) and there is a small area before getting into the large open area which leads to 3rd catapult. thats where he was. he was pretty much confined to that area ... his illusions were in that area (so was the aoe damage btw) but as a barb, i was able to pretty much stand still and rend/revenge/frenzy and he was dead. i will definately try and kite him to this area again next time and see what happens when i move him here >< good luck to all!
good tips. just wanted to add that in act 2, if you select "the scouring of caldeum", talk to them in hidden camp then go talk to them in lower city, you get adria AND leah as followers. you can also then farm any area in the act (desolate sands, VOA, etc).
Can you do it in public or does it have to be private?
Im lvl 60(9). If you wanna look at my guy please let me know what you think i would need to gear up correctly to fight some of these people. Im not out of a2 inferno yet though. And if you have any gear youd might want to sell me.
10/20/2012 06:10 PMPosted by JAMES
good tips. just wanted to add that in act 2, if you select "the scouring of caldeum", talk to them in hidden camp then go talk to them in lower city, you get adria AND leah as followers. you can also then farm any area in the act (desolate sands, VOA, etc).

awesome - i didn't know that!
and, of course, i will now be doing that >< thank you!

10/20/2012 06:17 PMPosted by DizzyBags19
Can you do it in public or does it have to be private?

i don't co-op (much) but from what i've seen i would be comfortable in saying "yes you can do in either private, public or solo games".

as far as gear goes .. if you wanna add me in-game, i farm .. ALOT .. so prob have something in stash you can use and if not, i can always keep an eye out for something you want. (fyi, if you add me, we don't have to stay added "friends" since you don't know me .. just saying, it's easier for the purpose of what you want to do it this way)
update on act3:

this last pass, the keywarden was pretty close to beginning so i decided just to run back to stonefort teleportal .. cant run too far ahead or KW parks so need to let him catch up a little while kiting him back .. once he got near portal, i teleported out and waited for my WotB (barb big dps CD) to come available .. then i went in the Keeps lvl 1 to get full fury .. then teleported back into Stonefort / popped WotB / and he was dead before WotB wore off and he didn't move at all ... was near perfect ><

to some this might seem like a hassle .. to kite and do all that - but he's a real pain in the a$$ for melee - especially tanks and especially tanks without +MS on boots ><
Yea id add you but at work if you can add me thatd be great.
Dizzybags19#1410
i just did 1 MP higher than i normally do .. kited KW back to stairs by teleport (in case i had to bail to avoid dieing) ... worked like a charm! he stayed still - never moved and neither did i - since i had 100% melee uptime on him, i never fell below 90% HP even standing in the falling bodies and the DoT frost crap on ground ... so much easier to spend extra 1 min doing this and have extra 10% drop .. got another a3 key! ><

Yea id add you but at work if you can add me thatd be great.
Dizzybags19#1410

k will do - no promises tho as i don't know what gear you have but if i have something you cna use ...
bump for late night "stay alive" factor
bump for a new day .. Happy Football Day ><

be safe