Gearing without the AH... anyone doing it??

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
10/24/2012 08:23 PMPosted by Dogf
I don't know if some of you are totally full of crap, or if you are total hoarders, but what do you do with good stuff that you don't need. Just vendor it? Hoard it? What do you do?

Fill the stash then vendor the overflows. You have to be willing to kill your darlings =[

I've got a stash full of the best gear I've found for other classes, should I ever decide to roll them. _Second_ best gear gets vendored also.

....my heart hurts
I don't know if some of you are totally full of crap, or if you are total hoarders, but what do you do with good stuff that you don't need. Just vendor it? Hoard it? What do you do?

Fill the stash then vendor the overflows. You have to be willing to kill your darlings =[

I've got a stash full of the best gear I've found for other classes, should I ever decide to roll them. _Second_ best gear gets vendored also.

It should be done in the beginning. :)

I rolled 5 classes before beating normal and 10 characters before nightmare.

I know the feeling. "For the greater good!"
10/24/2012 08:27 PMPosted by KyoUK
I rolled 5 classes before beating normal and 10 characters before nightmare.

i did similar myself. i found myself hoarding things way too much when i played my first character, so after i got to 60, i leveled all 5 classes up to 60 before i did any inferno farming.

its a lot easier to see what you might need when you can just equip the useful items on the class you think will use it immediately.
The Blues don't need the Auction House. They have a version of the game that has the Dev console in it. lol Just kidding. I once read a post by a blue on wow that they get the same version of Blizzard games we get. Makes sense.
For all of those that are saying that you never use AH.....how many mules do you have? I can't imagine if i had never sold any of my good items on AH at this point. I looked at my transactions log in AH and i have made 2478 transactions (lots of cancelled or not sold), but still. I mean, at least 500-600 items sold?

I've sold about 40 items, none of which netted me more than 975,000 until I sold a Chantodo's Will earlier this week for over 20 million. I have a stash full of different resistance gear for my monk so I can play mix-and-match when ifind good enough combos. My current working rule is sell anything with a price over 1,500 and salvage anything under that. I pick up rares and legendaries only in 1.0.5.
I've been only gearing my characters since 1.0.5 with found drops. With the increased drops, the possibility of lower level items being viable, and the adjustable difficulty, i feel like its much more reasonable to be able to get half decent gear without using the auction house.

As is, my DH and my barb are both viable for MP5+ playing, and im slowly working on my other toons.

I'm even going so far as to refuse handouts from most of my friends, I want to feel like all of my progress is the result of my own efforts.

The best part about this, it makes many more drops give me that "Yay!" feeling. i know i could upgrade many of my pieces with less than 100k, but im having a lot more fun this way, and its giving the game quite a bit more longevity for me.

is anyone else trying this? or have given it a shot at least? How well is it working out for you?

Even if you where truely following a plan of not using the AH it would still take you nearly 100000 years to get a good set of gear and another 1000000000000000 to get a godly set of gear. Gonna play this game till your in your grave? The randomness of the item generation is far too broad and the randomless zones make this game more like a chore/job than an enjoyable ARPG
Im up to 50k dps on my wiz never used the auction house :D
I don't believe people can pass A2 of inferno without using AH. however , if you manage to grind through it, it must be a very tedious experience.

Many good stuff on AH doesn't require selling a kidney to procure, total ignore the AH make little sense, and BE CAREFUL you might be flag by Bliz for anti-AH on this forum . jay bonus depend largely on the profit from AH. it is the soul of D3.
This is what me and my friends are doing...

I'm not going to lie... I used to buy items on AH before I stopped playing Diablo 3 (I stopped for a while, and came back only now). If anyone look at my profile, he'll notice that I have crappy pre-patch legendaries ... even though I found a lot of better gear for less than 200k gold on AH I won't buy upgrades on this new playthrough.

I probably have about 5 hours of net play 1.0.5 on my lvl 60 wizard, and I already found 3 upgrades for my gear.... (Belt, Bracer, Ring)
My Barbarian has no AH items and is geared with either crafted or found items from mostly solo play. He has been doing ok in Act I Inferno so far, but I'm guessing he will need to farm a little bit more before moving on to Act II. I just started a Wizard, too, and I think I’ll level the same way with at least 2 levels of Monster Power.

takes a long time to find your own gear worth using after a2. I know ztking who IMO is the MF king was playing the game w/out AH for a good while, beat inferno w/ his WD and then started using the AH to farm a3 efficiently.

Yeah, I played 100% without AH for a long time, including not being carried by people using the AH and not selling things on the AH to pay for gems or the like. Beat inferno 1.0.3 on my monk that way and 1.0.4 with WD and Barb (monk and barb solo, WD with my non-AH wife's DH). After those three, I decided I wanted to become as OP a possible and I felt like I had completed the basic game on my own terms, so I have since started using the AH on my WD (all other characters are still on their original found gear). It's still fun but very different.

Edit: BTW, took around 10k elite kills.
Been doing it recently and it's way more fun.
I haven't done it...but I will say I had 5 of the items I'm currently wearing drop for me. Which is nice.
10/24/2012 04:47 PMPosted by Grimiku
My Barbarian has no AH items and is geared with either crafted or found items from mostly solo play. He has been doing ok in Act I Inferno so far, but I'm guessing he will need to farm a little bit more before moving on to Act II. I just started a Wizard, too, and I think I’ll level the same way with at least 2 levels of Monster Power.

Sweet! Making a Wizard! Hopefully you'll see how garbage the Wizard is now and pass along community ideas to the development team so it can be fixed for the next patch.
Even if you where truely following a plan of not using the AH it would still take you nearly 100000 years to get a good set of gear

It took me 2 weeks of farming (about 2 hours per day) in 1.0.4 (Act 1 Inferno) to gear up for Act 3/4 Inferno. Managed to kill Diablo Inferno 2 days before 1.0.5, without using AH - both for buying and selling.
Wizard, by the way.

And it was a !@#$load of fun and an achievement i'm proud of :)

After 1.0.5 i managed to find some good upgrades, now i'm stuck between MP3/MP4, waiting for a good main hand weapon (hopefully Chantodo's Will - since i've dropped the set source).

Going to use AH to speed up leveling for alts, anyway :P
Yep...no AH here. My perspective is that this game is all about finding loot...why would I want someone else to do the finding for me...doesn't make sense and ruins the fun. All the gear on my characters has been found by me. I just recently completed Inferno...took quite a few deaths but got there in the end.