Gearing without the AH... anyone doing it??

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
ah is good you can upgrade and still be like hell yeah. got a gg piece of gear not that i have anything lol there is no trade games anymore now if you wannna trade. you put it up in the auction house and play maybe someone wants maybe they dont either way you are not wasting your time waiting for someone to join just to spam your game or mf spots you havent made it to yet. ah is no different than trading except now it is less time consuming. i know d2 was an all day event when it came to trading at times. also i like the current stash rate now you cant have 14 accounts full of stuff you are waiting to trade when you create a new char you want to gear up.
I've done nothing but gear w/out the AH since release.
I'm another monk who has played self found since the game came out. I also beat Inferno the week before 1.05 hit (Vrkhyz both inspired and encouraged me to finish up when I stalled for a bit after the hell rifts).

I'm currently working on a second full clear of MP2. After that I'll probably try MP3 again. I started out on MP3 when 1.05 was released, but it took too long to take down elites. I've found a bunch of upgrades and sidegrades since then, which will hopefully be sufficient to steadily progress.

My only attempt at using the auction house came when I was still around level 35, and I placed a bid on some mediocre rare weapon. I was outbid, and have never been back. I certainly don't begrudge anyone who uses the AH. I've just found enough upgrades on my own to feel like I'm progressing, which is enough for me. I could see an occasion far off in the future, when I have 4 out of the 5 pieces of a set that I really wanted, when I might take a gander at the AH again. But I'm not even close to that point now, so I have no intention of visiting the AH any time in the near future.

As for what I do with good gear that my monk can't use . . . I wouldn't even know what good gear for another class is. I keep all of the legendaries I find just in case I ever want to play another class, but all of the rare items are vendored. If I ever get a decent blacksmith pattern I'll start salvaging stuff again, but for the time being it's all going to the vendors. It's certainly possible I've lost out on some real money doing this, but I'm just not interested in researching other class gear to figure out what might be worth anything on the AH.
I've mostly done it, but I've had some people give me stuff. I never can find cheap upgrades. Things seem WAY over priced and even if I could afford it, wouldn't pay it. I haven't tried MP yet. Inferno act 1 normal difficulty is just right for me. Surprised you can do mp5. Inferno right? Maybe I'll give it a shot. Our stats (looking at your Barb) are around the same.

dude add me ive got a bunch of stuff to give u..

K, I will as soon as the game is back up. Thanks!!!

I noticed you haven't beat Inferno, yet have great gear. Have you not tried, or is it still too hard? Hope not, that's discouraging for me lol.
Not once used AH of any form.

It is not required.

Maybe you should get to inferno first and then tell us again if its required.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Asmodaeus-1438/
10/24/2012 09:36 PMPosted by Gadra
Even if you where truely following a plan of not using the AH it would still take you nearly 100000 years to get a good set of gear and another 1000000000000000 to get a godly set of gear. Gonna play this game till your in your grave? The randomness of the item generation is far too broad and the randomless zones make this game more like a chore/job than an enjoyable ARPG

I don't believe people can pass A2 of inferno without using AH. however , if you manage to grind through it, it must be a very tedious experience.

Many good stuff on AH doesn't require selling a kidney to procure, total ignore the AH make little sense, and BE CAREFUL you might be flag by Bliz for anti-AH on this forum . jay bonus depend largely on the profit from AH. it is the soul of D3.

As one who never bought or has been donated any gear, I was able to gear up a ww barb at 1.03. Beat 1.04 no sweat. And now all five classes can roll 1.05.

AH is fine, but people are wrong thinking it's impossible to go without AH. You only need to do the right farming and take advantage of the system (and which seller hasn't?).

Gearing up your team by actually finding things is fun. It's precious experience where you feel real excitement every time you upgrade. And you can proudly tell people otherwise whenever they say AH is inevitable ;)
Gearing up your team by actually finding things is fun. It's precious experience where you feel real excitement every time you upgrade. And you can proudly tell people otherwise whenever they say AH is inevitable ;)

This.
10/25/2012 05:40 AMPosted by Niymiae
Even if you where truely following a plan of not using the AH it would still take you nearly 100000 years to get a good set of gear

It took me 2 weeks of farming (about 2 hours per day) in 1.0.4 (Act 1 Inferno) to gear up for Act 3/4 Inferno. Managed to kill Diablo Inferno 2 days before 1.0.5, without using AH - both for buying and selling.
Wizard, by the way.

And it was a !@#$load of fun and an achievement i'm proud of :)

After 1.0.5 i managed to find some good upgrades, now i'm stuck between MP3/MP4, waiting for a good main hand weapon (hopefully Chantodo's Will - since i've dropped the set source).

Going to use AH to speed up leveling for alts, anyway :P

What does this person mean by dropping the set source?
Agree with this 1000%.

So far, my Monk and WD are looking healthy in their level 30s, with no AH gear whatsoever, and I don't plan on buying them any gear from the AH ever. Beauty part of leveling them at the same time is that they often find stuff for each other. Honestly, it makes me want to start up a Barb and a DH just to have a character of all five classes.

My Wizard, on the other hand, is wearing four pieces of armor bought from the GAH, however as I've said to other people, I've come soooooooooooooo close to finding gear to upgrade some of them and I haven't been in the AH in at least a few weeks, so honestly, I've been staying out of the AH for the most part, and it's proving really fun.

There are still stragglers saying the item drops still suck. Eh. I don't really agree. For one thing, I've found more legendaries in the short time since the patch than I have from launch till 1.0.5. Freaking amazing. Also, with the Inferno drops being worth so much more to vendors, I made the 1.75 mil to craft the Infernal Staff of Herding just from farming and vending. No hitting the lottery for me, no "oh look, this crappy legendary will sell for a half mil on the AH, most of the way there!" Nope. Farmed all that gold, and I'm proud of it. It feels like I EARNED that staff, as opposed to magic bulleting my way there.

Tonight, unless my bros want to farm Keywardens, I'm gonna work more on my Monk and WD. Really looking forward to them hitting level 60 so my Wizard can find gear for them, too, :-)
Not once used AH of any form.

It is not required.

I'm not the person you quoted, but I have cleared MP2, and can thus state the AH is not required to clear inferno through at least that level (and I don't pretend I'm the best or most geared no-AH player out there . . . I'd be really surprised if someone hasn't cleared through at least MP4 already, and I wouldn't be shocked if it was even higher than that).
I was doing such before the first patch that improved drops. I played D1 and D2, and believed I can go through the content with gear from drops.
Yet, Inferno was too difficult in the past and noticed that people are getting good gear from the AH. So, a few weeks before that patch, I decided to use the AH to keep up.
I got to Act 1 Inferno with my DH without buying anything from the AH. But once I for to Act 2, my damage and resistance were pitiful, and the only way to deal with that (apart from endless, increasingly hopeless Act 1 runs) was to go to the AH. Buying gear for the initial upgrades wasn't too expensive, and I think the prices for that 'starter level' of good gear have fallen.

However, like many players I've found that there's a glass ceiling once you try to move up. The prices for the next level of gear are manageable - with a bit of perseverance, you can farm enough gold to buy stuff that's above the entry level. Then there's a very steep rise in prices. I find legendaries on a fairly regular basis, but they are largely rubbish. I haven't found anything valuable enough sell for the kind of gold needed to acquire the seriously powerful gear, and I think this is a common issue. So I am stuck in a kind of limbo - unless I'm prepared to die multiple times playing the MP lottery in the hope of a high-value find, or farm basic Inferno endlessly.
My Monk ZergOP -> http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Brainiac-1186/hero/22244007

Was stucked on A1 patch 1.0.4 but i gonna run it on the new patch soon XD
My group (four of us) have done nothing but gear up from our own drops (and just trading drops between us).

It's been fine .. luckily we've played slowly and by the time we really delved into Inferno .. the reduced damage and improved drops of 1.04 and 1.05 have helped make the game viable with just drops.

Still not happy with the legendary drop rate (especially since they are still somewhat random) and while crafting SHOULD be an option for people who don't want to use the AH (what else will you spend money on) .. it simply is way too costly for the gamble.

I'm not the person you quoted, but I have cleared MP2, and can thus state the AH is not required to clear inferno through at least that level (and I don't pretend I'm the best or most geared no-AH player out there . . . I'd be really surprised if someone hasn't cleared through at least MP4 already, and I wouldn't be shocked if it was even higher than that).

I'm not saying that its required to use AH but what I was trying to say is that if you dont even have character with lvl 60 you are not the right person to make that kind of statement.
The only drops on my wiz are my bracers (bad) and my rings (good). I can spend 50M and get a similar bracer with high int but that would only get me a few k DPS. I have decided to just start saving up for int/6CC/resall lacuni.

My barb is 100% found gear except the chest which was really cheap and I only bought it because she was dying on MP1-2.

DH is about 50% found gear but I was in the process of gearing her to be a super low budget MF runner...then 1.04 came out.
Would be possible if drops were halfway decent. Seriously, got a WD mask that had Fury on it yesterday. And have also gotten wizard hat with monk spirit boost. Class specific item seem to have issues. Geared all my characters up to level 10-15 w/o AH, but been having to pay ever since.
i found 3 upgrades post 1.05. 2 for my wizard and 1 for my monk.

pre 1.05...gold auction house geared my monk and 2 alts. had my monk since launch.
10/24/2012 01:46 AMPosted by Dogf
Yes, been doing it since release.
I'm doing this with the low-level DH I just started playing again.