Throw + Rend + Traditional WW

Barbarian
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
Rend and throw are great counters to ranged and fleeing monsters for the WW build. I think this build is good for the specific area you are running, assuming you want to kill everything (you don't have to). Rakkis has a lot of ranged and fleeing monsters on it. I don't think that this 'proves' rend is better than overpower. But it is probably better for the area you are in and the way you play. I think overpower is better in more areas if you loot rares. You need to be in melee range anyway to pick stuff up. There's also no rule stating you have to kill everything either.

Rend also has a cast animation that can be interrupted. Maybe with your gear level you don't have stagger animations, but most barbs do, which means rending in the center of a group often leads to death. Overpower has none of these issues and buffs your damage.

Also, this build requires you have 3 offensive passives. Throw will let you stay out of molten for ranged, but now you have no defensive cushion for melee molten/fire chains, etc. So yeah, if you have really high defensive stats (expensive gear), throw as a generator can work because you can sacrifice a passive.
Sub overpower crit chance for wep throw and you might have a decent build

2grand in rmah gear obviously doesnt make you good at d3

check out my build for a real build, havent spent a dime on the rmah
I tried this yesterday and I'd say it takes a lot of concentration and management to use. You definitely do a lot of thinking while doing it so I'd say this takes a little more skill to use than other builds. I'll try it again today and see if I have any better luck with the build, it just takes a while to get used to!
10/29/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Souljah11
I tried this yesterday and I'd say it takes a lot of concentration and management to use. You definitely do a lot of thinking while doing it so I'd say this takes a little more skill to use than other builds. I'll try it again today and see if I have any better luck with the build, it just takes a while to get used to!

It may sound silly but it takes practice. I started throw barbs in 1.01 patch and those barbs were squishy as DH/Witch Doctor because all spells were offensive and inferno mobs hit way harder without the same quality of gear we have available to use now. The playstyle was similar to DH and not barb-like at all. It took a while to get used to.

Likewise for WW build. The first time I did WW/Torando in 1.02, it took a lot of practice, even having to remap my Force Run hotkey to space bar as per Dino's post in diablo3 EU forums.

Don't be afriad to practice. It takes time getting use to using a ranged fury generator while desiring to WW/Torando and/or Rend.
Totally agree with Keik
but for now and because my gear is not at that level yet i do what cloud9 says just ignore them at higher mps

And btw Keik thanks for your awesome loh vs ls advice (waited to sell my loh offhand to say this lol ), i've completely removed loh from my gear and couldn't be happier even with just 5.6 ls :)
@Boohaha -- great summary, thank you. Much better than I could have done! I wanted to expand on the concept of the 300th Spear as a damage utility.

Throwing weapons alternates the damage between both hands. Since the off-hand conversion to the main-hand still applies, you're actually doing more damage over time than you would be with a 300th Spear -- it's because the attack speed from a natural off-hand actually provides less downtime between throws while the 300th Spear does more DPS per throw.

Regarding Rend -- everyone has a varying experience with the skill. For me, it's a way to continue DPSing while I look around for another pack or high density mob to continue my streak. It allows me to accumulate high massacre bonuses while doing an insane amount of damage. My main leeching comes from my tornadoes, so I don't utilise Rend as a leeching skill. It's a great skill and one that really shines when you're surrounded by mobs or walkers/casters.
I could not have been bothered to read all the crap after the first couple of posts in this thread. acrimony, thanks for pointing me in the direction of weapon throw. There will always be haters. BTW, Buffed with WOTB and battlerage I am hitting max crits of over 740k. Multiply that by 1.5 APS and a secondary ranged attack that has the ability to do over 1m damage a second is pretty awesome.

In regards to efficient farming, for me, mp 7 is efficient to farm. With buffed paper dps of 260k and another 27% damage against elites, any lower level and !@#$ dies too fast to generate fury. Mp 4 and lower and I one shot kill a lot of trash.
Ok, I read everything. I guess it wasn't all crap and you guys made up. I did like what Boohaha said about mp 10 uber magdha. I found myself doing that with a group on mp 9 today while she was in the corner. The demon hunter and wiz I was with would one shot die when they got hit with her butterfly crap and I just kept absorbing it and instantly refilling my health.....it was awesome!
I could not have been bothered to read all the crap after the first couple of posts in this thread. acrimony, thanks for pointing me in the direction of weapon throw. There will always be haters. BTW, Buffed with WOTB and battlerage I am hitting max crits of over 740k. Multiply that by 1.5 APS and a secondary ranged attack that has the ability to do over 1m damage a second is pretty awesome.

In regards to efficient farming, for me, mp 7 is efficient to farm. With buffed paper dps of 260k and another 27% damage against elites, any lower level and !@#$ dies too fast to generate fury. Mp 4 and lower and I one shot kill a lot of trash.

Skorn builds even with some ias will have a hard time maintaining wrath. However, i cant imagine youre getting much exp/min on mp7 due to hp scaling.
@KillerElite, why do you have -weap throw on belt AND no escape passive? One or the other is obviously necessary, but why both?
10/29/2012 02:39 PMPosted by VeePow
@KillerElite, why do you have -weap throw on belt AND no escape passive? One or the other is obviously necessary, but why both?

Because I have a slow !@# skorn with only 31% extra IAS. AS far as the belt, there were reallly no other skills that I could benefit from. I can reset the WOTB timer pretty fast if I get into trouble. Without 'no escape', I would still get into to trouble keeping WOTB up with my slow APS. This skill was exactly what I needed to keep WOTB up 100%. Perhaps a skorn wasn't the best choice for WW but I get to do some big dps and I didn't have to spend hundreds of millions on a MH and OH.
Lorenze is right in that skorn WW builds have a very hard time maintaining enough fury to WW let alone perma WOTB. I do admit that I could keep WOTB up as long as there were 3 or more monsters to hit and as long as they stayed alive but that last elite or act boss usually meant wotb would go down. Just using bash with slow APS is not enough to reduce the WOTB timer. It may not look like it but I have made it work so that I keep fury and WOTB up 100% of the time with my slow !@# build.

As far as exp/minute, I am still key farming. In my efforts to make 16 hellfire rings, all of which are !@#$, I have gone from paragon 46 to 53. I will let you know how the EXP/minute goes when I get back to exp farming.
I do admit that I could keep WOTB up as long as there were 3 or more monsters to hit and as long as they stayed alive but that last elite or act boss usually meant wotb would go down. Just using bash with slow APS is not enough to reduce the WOTB timer. It may not look like it but I have made it work so that I keep fury and WOTB up 100% of the time with my slow !@# build.As far as exp/minute, I am still

I would greatly appreciate any data regarding exp/min with skorn. I want to collect data from other players with varying builds to get a good sense of build/gear level vs xp/min for varying mp levels. for some reason, skorn just does not seem as popular on these boards as they once were a few weeks ago.
What kind of testing would you like to see? Exact time and EXP earned on certain levels? It won't be in depth but it will be honest and it may take a day or two since I work full time and have a wife so my play time is not as much as it could be. The only factor that I can see being an issue is losing WOTB due to fury issues. I may need to take 3 or 4 seconds every now and again to bring the WOTB timer down with weapon throw but I can otherwise Keep WOTB up well beyond the cooldown cycle.
10/29/2012 03:27 PMPosted by KillerElite
What kind of testing would you like to see? Exact time and EXP earned on certain levels? It won't be in depth but it will be honest and it may take a day or two since I work full time and have a wife so my play time is not as much as it could be.

Its simple, just take a screen shot with the clock on the upper right and your cursor over your exp bar at the start of your run. do it again at the end of your run. We just divide the exp difference by time difference to get exp/min. 3 trials - assuming the numbers are fairly consistent should be more than enough. do it at what ever mp you feel like your exp/min is highest.
10/29/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Lorenze
What kind of testing would you like to see? Exact time and EXP earned on certain levels? It won't be in depth but it will be honest and it may take a day or two since I work full time and have a wife so my play time is not as much as it could be.

Its simple, just take a screen shot with the clock on the upper right and your cursor over your exp bar at the start of your run. do it again at the end of your run. We just divide the exp difference by time difference to get exp/min. 3 trials - assuming the numbers are fairly consistent should be more than enough. do it at what ever mp you feel like your exp/min is highest.

Ok that sounds easy enough. Do you care what level is played such as keep depths level 2 or whatever?
10/29/2012 03:34 PMPosted by KillerElite

Ok that sounds easy enough. Do you care what level is played such as keep depths level 2 or whatever?

Do your most efficient path, i assume most people use the alkaizer route but as long as its consistent and fairly efficient its up to you.
Do you find No escape to be absolutely necessary?

i havent tried, but i imagine that with high crit (50%+) and ias and maybe the 10% crit from overpower rune instead of rend then into the fray could allow you to just spam wep throw with no -wep throw from gear.

I feel like if you had the stats then "unforgiving" would make a better passive than no escape

When i swap out for some more ias ill give wep throw a go
Up. I fully edited the first post. Please let me know if there's an error.

@KillerElite -- thank you :) -- you should try Rend at some point. With the Skorn, the damage would be insane.

@Jook -- I do find it necessary. I'm actually about to make the choice of a -5 resource cost to Rend or Weapon Throw on my IK belt sometime tonight. I don't think the impact of either will have much effect on the build other than for Weapon Throw's start up requirements (reducing it by 5 fury resource would make it much easier to start up the build. You most definitely need the passive to generate the fury necessary, though your thoughts on Unforgiving (and I'll try Animosity) is interesting as well. I'll test that out tonight.

Do your most efficient path, i assume most people use the alkaizer route but as long as its consistent and fairly efficient its up to you.

Do you want me to upload the screenshots? My average on mp 7 is 35.9m exp/hour. That was based on doing Tower of the damned level 1, Tower of the cursed level 1, Core of Arreat, Keep depths level 2, Fields of slaughter. After I did the first run I realized I left out Arreat crater level 2 which is a great place for exp so I left it out on the next 3 runs. I killed all the elites as well as more than 95% of the trash. I also picked up high level rares. I use photo bucket and it resizes large photos so the exp and time stamp may not be readable. Any suggestions on what I can use?