Beware of user: Blizzard01

General Discussion
well, i just hope you are perma-banning these a**w*****

not that it would matter since i would assume they are all clean accounts...

so in the end a few gullible people fall for it and lose tons of money, while the scammer gets away with it :(
11/08/2012 04:57 PMPosted by Lylirra
We actually do a lot of work behind the scenes that simply isn't visible to our players

yup. fair enough.

i understand you cannot explain everything you're doing as that simply provides the infringing people with information as to a way to develop a workaround.

i guess my response is purely that we only ever see "hey guys, if this happens to you please report this" whereas a simple change to "we are aware or this happening, and are actively working to combat this, but to ensure we can do this effectively we need you to continue reporting these cases".

theres a subtle difference there. at least in my mind.
Got the same message today and did the same thing! So, i removed the whole post since its inadvertent advertising.
i've reported a lot of spams and yet they still keep popping up in the general chat. how is this so, blizz?
The best thing you can do whenever you receive these kinds messages is to report the senders via the right-click > Report Spam or Report Harassment option. Don't click on any links that the message may refer you to, though, as they may contain malware like Trojans and keyloggers. You'll want to avoid sharing the links publicly, since that could put other players' accounts at risk, too.

If you want to learn a bit more about phishing attempts and how to help safeguard yourself against them, there's lot of great information on our security website:
http://us.battle.net/en/security/theft

Problem here though is that this person was reported for harassment with a clear explanation of what he was doing at least two weeks ago. I know because I've reported him myself at least three times starting two weeks ago and he was STILL at it as of last night.

I understand how you do things as far as gold site spammers and that they might be around for a while before you ban them but if someone is reporting harassment I would think those reports should be looked at on a daily basis and if found to be accurate, action should be taken immediately.

Sure most people are smart enough not to fall for something like this but these guys do not do this because nobody falls for it. There was a comment on the ban post made on the blog today by someone who obviously has no clue this is not a Blizzard employee and who will probably make the mistake of going to the site to "save his account". Had you taken action when reports first came in about this scam I'm quite sure some people would be saved from having their accounts cleaned out and you (Blizzard) would have less to deal with in the way of customer support/account rollbacks.

An ounce of prevention as it were.
Not sure if at all possible but cant the IP of these nuisances be banned? I know an IP can change but it would seems to me that the locking of IP addresses should slow down these guys and the gold site spam i receive at least 5 times a day in the form of friend invite requests.

It's a good idea, but since IP's are so dynamic nowadays, it can be difficult, and can cause issues to other legitimate players.
What I do with my I-Net Security is if I get a bunch of issues (spam, attack-attempts) from a certain domain, I'll simply lock out the entire domain. I actually got the idea from my ISP, for they do the same thing on occasion, and sometimes all it takes are router-logs. May sound draconian, but it works.
Really Blizzard? How many screenshots do you need? Would you like me to add mine from tonight? If I add 'Apathy' to my resume' will you hire me too?
Anyone who responds to these or any of the other phishing scams gets their account stolen. Which is then used to create more spam after being cleaned out.

So banning the spamming accounts doesn't do much. The bots just log into another account and remake the character every time one is caught. And as mentioned above, they figure out new ways around anything done to stop them as fast as they're put in.

It's been this way as long as online games have been out. Since it's been going on for well over a decade, there is NO easy fix.
We actually do a lot of work behind the scenes that simply isn't visible to our players. For example, "Blizzard" is a restricted name for BattleTags -- as are several variant spellings -- and has been for a very long time. It's very likely that the player in question (the one mentioned in the OP) was actually spelling their name "B-I-i-z-z-a-r-d," with a capital I. That variant wasn't restricted previously, but it's now been added to the appropriate list.

Even though we are consistently trying to remove their influence from the game, the individuals who want to advertise in Diablo III are very persistent and excel at coming up with new ways of getting around the roadblocks we put up. So, it's a constant battle, but one that we're willing to fight.[/quote]

amen, we know you are. those spammers are VERY determined.
99% of all in game advertising and phishing attempts can be alleviated. After reporting the person I then hit block communication. I blocked about 8 to 10 people and I have only seen 1 in chat advertisement and received 1 fraudulent friend request since then. (About 2 weeks or more)
I reported this guy lat week (I think it's the same guy), but apparently he's still active...
Allow me to turn off Friend Requests and much of the FR spam problem is solved. If I want to add a friend I can turn it back on.
why isn't the name "blizzard" or any other imitations not filtered out when naming a character or making a battletag?

that guy has been active for a while.
The best thing you can do whenever you receive these kinds messages is to report the senders via the right-click > Report Spam or Report Harassment option. Don't click on any links that the message may refer you to, though, as they may contain malware like Trojans and keyloggers. You'll want to avoid sharing the links publicly, since that could put other players' accounts at risk, too.

Whats the point of the report harassment feature or any of the block communication options? I have been doing that with goldsellers for months and nothing has happend.
I'm just going out on a limb reading this post and reactions.

I'm gonna make an educated guess there are probably hundreds of "reports" on this blizzard01 (with a Cap I instead of lowercase L) yet the messages keep coming.

Same goes for those selling gold ... just sayin
I've reported this guy a couple times now. Once a couples weeks ago and once again a couple days ago.

And each time I reported him I gave a full description of what occurred and reported it under harassment (or at least I think it was harassment).
I've reported this guy a couple times now. Once a couples weeks ago and once again a couple days ago.

And each time I reported him I gave a full description of what occurred and reported it under harassment (or at least I think it was harassment).

As I said above I too have reported this person multiple times under harassment going back three weeks now and yet as of last night I saw people talking about getting PM's from him in game chat.

Someone needs to remove their collective cranium from their !@#$ here Blizz and do something about this guy already, this is beyond ridiculous.