5 GREAT IMPROVEMENTS that take 5 mins to code

General Discussion
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next
I liked your number 3. If my memory serves me right while playing D1, having bonus to all stats is equivalent to a good item. There should be enough incentive to consider the other stats and this makes for a more dynamic AH. After all, a godly character in most games is a well rounded one with intelligence, agility, and strength.

Obsidian ring of the Zodiac in D3 is trash.
I like your post, but I just wanted to address one thing at the end.
You said it was mathematically impossible to roll an identical item...but I recently did just that. I rolled two 61 cloaks one after the other and they rolled identical name and stats...it was creepy as hell. I've never had anything even come close to rolling that way.
Anyway, again, I like your post and I looooove your idea about secondary stats. To add to that maybe they could make Dex for my DH a little more useful too. =\
You lost me with #4. The enchantress saying "The darkness fades, I can see again" just as she runs into another pile of plague or desecration and falls over unconscious again makes those endless slogs enjoyable.
Heh Guys All your suggestions are on target but remember all these guys that work for D3 are not from the Diablo1 and Diablo2 series these new workers are fresh off the Caravan If that Caravan wheels came off of the wagon that means those worker do will try to hold the wagon of that one broken wheel and carry it to its destination instead of stopping and taking a look at it and figure that oh we should put the wheel back in and patch it up with a new screw voila good to go!
Great post thank you for it, it has the community looking after it :D
Suggestions are good, 5 minutes is something I highly doubt.
I think we can all be happy with 1 and 2
Monsters in Act 1 and 2 already have worse ilvl 63 drop rates so why not increase the flow
and Especially #1 ESPECIALLY!
If they fixed all of the legendaries again so that 70% aren't complete garbage. I would not mind if they did that and made the legendary drop rate 1/6th of its current rate. I found probably 24 legendaries so far. 23 of them were either a brimstone or to a merchant and the 24th legendary was just good enough to sell on the auction house for 230k. If they fix the weapons make the have better potential then they can nerf the drop rate by 1/4 or 1/5 and I would be so happy.
I am a software engineer too. I found what you said doesn't make sense. While it probably takes only 5 minutes to code (I highly doubt that), it takes hours or even days of meeting and conference to come up the detailed plan. And it takes days to test the result. That's how big companies do things. It's people who think in your way screwed the release of D3 and some of the patches.
Why no improvement on strength? Wizard hats or bow with strength only gives petty armour, giving other benefits to dex and intel means all gears with all sort of stats is beneficial to Barbarian only. While the other 4 classes still fight among themselves for the gears.

Barbarian has a mighty belt thats as good as the witching hour in low level, which no one except the very own class can use, while the 'Witch'ing hour are being used by monks and demon hunters, further increasing the competition.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/pride-of-cassius
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-witching-hour

Stop the Barblo, Its hard to play with barb in the first 2 patch because nobody reaches the end level and don't have as much end game gears. Now everyone in the end game era, see the bias-ness that Barb has? Thanks, toss a penny and watch them fight till the death.
As a programmer, I find it delightful that you can comment with authority on a foreign code base regarding the "ease" and subsequent risks associated with making changes to the code without even looking at the code.

I assume you must work on the NYSE or other global financial systems..........................................................................................................

This needs to be repeated

Yup, when somebody comes up with a novel and outside-the-box idea, the best thing is to shoot it down with technicalities and half-truths.

These changes are VERY easy to implement, and while I can't speak to the red tape and cumbersome nature of Blizzard -- if it even is that way -- I can speak to the technical aspects.

These changes don't require any new designs, environments, audio, and (probably) no data tables... even a non-technical person can see how the Hellfire quests were harder to create than these changes, and these add way more gameplay.

All the naysayers are outvoted 10-to-1 in this thread, and for good reason.
+1 for ideas, definately some must needed stuff here :D
5. idea does not make any sense, you can put ur dube item, sell it, and sell another one of them later? it is dumb to call such fix..
11/01/2012 09:33 PMPosted by Brygo
Yup, when somebody comes up with a novel and outside-the-box idea, the best thing is to shoot it down with technicalities and half-truths.

Nothing wrong with novel ideas. What isn't helpful is the attitude that these are simple things, that will "add way more gameplay" and are simple to implement. They are not simple to implement, and how much gameplay they will add is very subjective. But what the attitude does is bring about the notion that Blizzard developers are all incompetent, don't listen to the players, and are basically sitting around with their thumbs up their butts for not just taking the 5 minutes to implement these very easy changes.

These changes are VERY easy to implement, and while I can't speak to the red tape and cumbersome nature of Blizzard -- if it even is that way -- I can speak to the technical aspects.

You can speculate, but that's all. You don't have access to the code, and you know nothing about the internal procedures involved.

These changes don't require any new designs, environments, audio, and (probably) no data tables...

Maybe you're using the word design in a different context, because these changes require a great deal of planning, brainstorming, tweaking, and balance to get right. I would hope a lot of that is done in what I would call design phase.

even a non-technical person can see how the Hellfire quests were harder to create than these changes, and these add way more gameplay.

Again, the amount of gameplay these changes add is subjective.

All the naysayers are outvoted 10-to-1 in this thread, and for good reason.

Of course. A lot of people who post on these threads, even self admitted software engineers, have no clue how things work at a large, publicly traded company in general, let alone Blizzard specifically. Someone says "here are 5 things that will take 5 minutes and make the game so much better!" and everyone will jump on the bandwagon. It's the very nature of bandwagons.