5 GREAT IMPROVEMENTS that take 5 mins to code

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
Item duping solved with 5 lines of code

Gem duping not solved, but who cares if the gem market tanks?
It's obvious that these changes would do nothing but enhance the game experience. I can't believe the number of people who want to nitpick the OP and argue that adding an additional affix to DOA legendaries will, to paraphrase, "significantly alter the balance of the game".

Furthermore, how can anyone argue that the additional bonuses earned from non-main stat attributes would be a problem too? It's almost like you people want our characters to be weak little turds or something. Ultimately I would prefer an alternate advancement system on top of something like this (the paragon system is terribly unimaginative and boring) but this change would be a "quick" fix as the OP pointed out.

Increased mob density in act 1? Sign me up.

I think the duping issue is a bit more complicated so I won't say anything about that one.

Anyone who wants to argue about the technicalities behind these changes is missing the point. The point is that they are simple, and as a direct result of their simplicity they make the game much better.
Item duping solved with 5 lines of code

Gem duping not solved, but who cares if the gem market tanks?

Exactly -- I don't like the gem market tanking, but if the item market tanks, I will quit the game and never re-install it.
+1

Liked 1 and 2.

Bliz doesnt know how much I love Azure before 1.04. I wished them could buff this amazing sword, and it ended up to be a piece of ****. Totally disappointed. Wish they could increase the variations and choices of legendary for next patch.
+1

Liked 1 and 2.

Bliz doesnt know how much I love Azure before 1.04. I wished them could buff this amazing sword, and it ended up to be a piece of ****. Totally disappointed. Wish they could increase the variations and choices of legendary for next patch.

If Azurewrath had a socket and high damage, I'd use it as an offhand -- that would be amazing.
Hire this guy blizzard.
agreed with basically the whole thing, good post
3) Add new benefits for non-main item stats. Ones that people can get excited about.

Here's an example...

For Barbarians, make it so that Intelligence increases your max fury, magic find, and slightly reduces your skill recharge times. Make it so that Dexterity slightly increases your attack speed and slightly increases your movement speed.

Every 100 points of Dex could equal +1% Attack Speed and +1% Movement Speed.

Every 100 points of Intelligence could equal +10 Max Fury, +10 Magic Find, and -5% recharge time for skills.

That wouldn't be enough for you to stack Dex or Int as your primary goal, but it WOULD make you feel a whole lot better when your otherwise-godly sword rolls a +239 Dexterity or when your godly Litany of the Undaunted shows up as Intelligence instead of Strength.

One of the best ideas in a long time.
As a software engineer, it is hard for me to turn off my 'coding' hat when I play this game. And even though I liked a lot of changes in 1.04 and 1.05, they seemed to require a ton of game development to execute. It took a lot of people a lot of time to create the Hellfire plot and then bring it to life.

It would take Blizzard literally five minutes to put in a line of code that searches the AH to see if your item already exists on it. If an item with the same name and stats is on there, you can't put it up. In theory, they should have unique item ID's for everything in their database, but regardless, this will also go a long way to combating the problem.

And while they're at it, take another five minutes to put that same line of code in your inventory and stash. If an item is placed in either -- and an identical item exists -- it deletes both. Wow. That would take literally five minutes to code. So do it. A 'false positive' is mathematically impossible, so there are no risks really.

You must think they are using SQL Server which then that comment would be easy. I'm in software as well and I am sure one of us could come up with the query so no items would have the same stats. Actually it's very easy. Select * from items where dex="", CC="",CD="",MinDamage = "", etc. etc.
Anyone with have a brain with SQL could write the query.

It doesn't seem like they are using SQL why would they, they should granted their items table would be massive with a lot of columns. If they did duping could be stopped very easily just write the code so no items with exactly the same stats can not be made, or dropped. Granted every time and item dropped or was crafted and query would run so the server would have to be extremely good and fast.
You must think they are using SQL Server which then that comment would be easy. I'm in software as well and I am sure one of us could come up with the query so no items would have the same stats. Actually it's very easy. Select * from items where dex="", CC="",CD="",MinDamage = "", etc. etc.

It doesn't seem like they are using SQL why would they, they should granted their items table would be massive with a lot of columns. If they did duping could be stopped very easily just write the code so no items with exactly the same stats can not be made, or dropped. Granted every time and item dropped or was crafted and query would run so the server would have to be extremely good and fast.

Agree that with SQL it's easy -- but this database isn't THAT big. Not like Walmart's inventory database or American AIrlines flight and passenger travel database...

I mean, if a user can search the entire AH very quickly with five filters in place, then why can't they run a similar search every time you put an item on it (which happens far less frequently than a search).
number 3 i like, very nice

Agree that with SQL it's easy -- but this database isn't THAT big. Not like Walmart's inventory database or American AIrlines flight and passenger travel database...

I mean, if a user can search the entire AH very quickly with five filters in place, then why can't they run a similar search every time you put an item on it (which happens far less frequently than a search).

The query would have to run when items drop and are crafted so no dupes are made period. I've gotten drops very very similar in stats. They are probably using some weird database like Universe, or something else.
Walmart and American Airlines are probably still mainframes I know Bed, Bath, and Beyond is. Most retail use mainframes.
I don't normally like player suggestions but these are great! Well done OP. The 5th one won't solve much though, infact it will make it harder to spot a dupe but dupes will still be sold.

I hope someone at blizzard passes these suggestions on to the developers.
As a software engineer, it is hard for me to turn off my 'coding' hat when I play this game. And even though I liked a lot of changes in 1.04 and 1.05, they seemed to require a ton of game development to execute. It took a lot of people a lot of time to create the Hellfire plot and then bring it to life.

So, here's a list of five very very simple changes that Blizzard could make with very little effort that -- in my opinion -- would make the game significantly more fun and playable for the long run...

They could make them all tomorrow and it would take barely any engineering time...

1) Fix the dead legendaries by giving them an additional affix.

This one is a no-brainer. How annoying is it when you pick up a lvl63 legendary weapon, only to realize that it is cannot possibly roll anything good. Take the Azurewrath for example. No respectable barb would use this weapon, not even as an offhand. Blizzard spent all this time developing a cool weapon, but it's basically DOA. Now, what if you got an Azurewrath with a +1 affix, and that affix was a socket? That would change everything. Thousands of people would use it as an offhand and totally build around it. Same with Skysplitter and many others. If they had just one more affix, they could be godly. But as it stands now, it is a guaranteed losing roll.

2) Add more monster density to Act 1 and Act 2.

This one is also super simple and would make the game so much more lasting. Most good D3 players have spent the last four months farming Act 3, and we would love to change scenery by doing Act 1 more often. But the monster density is too low to get the XP and drops we need. The halls of the dungeons feel empty. Double the number of skeletons and the problem goes away. Super simple. Just do it.

3) Add new benefits for non-main item stats. Ones that people can get excited about.

Here's an example...

For Barbarians, make it so that Intelligence increases your max fury, magic find, and slightly reduces your skill recharge times. Make it so that Dexterity slightly increases your attack speed and slightly increases your movement speed.

Every 100 points of Intelligence could equal +10 Max Fury, +10 Magic Find, and -5% recharge time for skills.

That wouldn't be enough for you to stack Dex or Int as your primary goal, but it WOULD make you feel a whole lot better when your otherwise-godly sword rolls a +239 Dexterity or when your godly Litany of the Undaunted shows up as Intelligence instead of Strength.

These changes could lead to a lot more dynamic character builds, and create value for weapons and armor that are otherwise useless to a player. Unlike the others, this change would take a few days to sketch out and implement, but could be done in a week or less. It would literally make the game twice as good in one swoop.

4) Make the sorceress shut up.

Seriously. For the love of God. Make it an option menu check box or something. I literally can't play when my girlfriend is home because if she hears the enchantress she will think less of me.

5) Never allow two identical items on the AH at once...

There are more and more reports of duping, and while it's not an epidemic yet, it is the ONE thing that can totally ruin Diablo. Heck, I quit D1 and D2 when duping became a problem. So why are multiple of the exact same item on the AH at once?

It would take Blizzard literally five minutes to put in a line of code that searches the AH to see if your item already exists on it. If an item with the same name and stats is on there, you can't put it up. In theory, they should have unique item ID's for everything in their database, but regardless, this will also go a long way to combating the problem.

And while they're at it, take another five minutes to put that same line of code in your inventory and stash. If an item is placed in either -- and an identical item exists -- it deletes both. Wow. That would take literally five minutes to code. So do it. A 'false positive' is mathematically impossible, so there are no risks really.

You are making it sound like these changes would require ZERO testing to discover just how these change would affect the rest of the game. You'd be wrong. Every change to the game impacts another part of the game in positive or negative ways. Unless you coded the game (or figured out how to hack it so you can see the code), you have no idea what it takes to code this game much less how to affect changes that wouldn't be detrimental to the game itself. Go away.
10/31/2012 05:46 PMPosted by briarben
You are making it sound like these changes would require ZERO testing to discover just how these change would affect the rest of the game. You'd be wrong. Every change to the game impacts another part of the game in positive or negative ways. Unless you coded the game (or figured out how to hack it so you can see the code), you have no idea what it takes to code this game much less how to affect changes that wouldn't be detrimental to the game itself. Go away.

Hogwash.

Making it so that a sword with 150 Dexterity gives the player an extra 1.5% attack speed will not change the ecosystem, nor will it wreak havoc on the codebase.

Just another poster who came into this thread looking to be critical for the sake of it.

So, here's a list of five very very simple changes that Blizzard could make with very little effort that -- in my opinion -- would make the game significantly more fun and playable for the long run...

They could make them all tomorrow and it would take barely any engineering time...

1) Fix the dead legendaries by giving them an additional affix.

This one is a no-brainer. How annoying is it when you pick up a lvl63 legendary weapon, only to realize that it is cannot possibly roll anything good. Take the Azurewrath for example. No respectable barb would use this weapon, not even as an offhand. Blizzard spent all this time developing a cool weapon, but it's basically DOA. Now, what if you got an Azurewrath with a +1 affix, and that affix was a socket? That would change everything. Thousands of people would use it as an offhand and totally build around it. Same with Skysplitter and many others. If they had just one more affix, they could be godly. But as it stands now, it is a guaranteed losing roll.

2) Add more monster density to Act 1 and Act 2.

This one is also super simple and would make the game so much more lasting. Most good D3 players have spent the last four months farming Act 3, and we would love to change scenery by doing Act 1 more often. But the monster density is too low to get the XP and drops we need. The halls of the dungeons feel empty. Double the number of skeletons and the problem goes away. Super simple. Just do it.

Here's an example...

These changes could lead to a lot more dynamic character builds, and create value for weapons and armor that are otherwise useless to a player. Unlike the others, this change would take a few days to sketch out and implement, but could be done in a week or less. It would literally make the game twice as good in one swoop.

4) Make the sorceress shut up.

Seriously. For the love of God. Make it an option menu check box or something. I literally can't play when my girlfriend is home because if she hears the enchantress she will think less of me.

5) Never allow two identical items on the AH at once...

There are more and more reports of duping, and while it's not an epidemic yet, it is the ONE thing that can totally ruin Diablo. Heck, I quit D1 and D2 when duping became a problem. So why are multiple of the exact same item on the AH at once?

Your and idiot most of these changes can be made in the database structure some simple procs, triggers, and schema changes. After effective database changes are done then code from there.
i agree with everything but your last idea.

this will wreak havoc on the players that purchased duped items.... Imagine wasting 500m on an item only to have it deleted becauise it was a dupe which you had no idea about.

Well, to be fair, it would not have that big an impact on the player...

1) It would not be auto-deleted unless he already had the same item in his stash or on his person, which we assume would not be the case if he bought it legitimately on the AH.

2) He would probably be forbidden from selling it on the AH if it already existed... but, to be honest, this isn't the most terrible problem to have. If you buy a godly Echoing Fury for a billion gold, and then find out a few others have it too.. then oh well.. at least you can still use it. But, no, you can't keep selling it and flood the AH with ten godly EF's.
+1
I love your ideas hope Bliz takes some of these ideas