Giving Build Advice

Demon Hunter
Prev 1 11 12 13 25 Next
Hey genesis firstly great work in taking your own time to help us all out as the dh can be difficult to work out at times. Just looking for a bit of advise on getting upto 200k. Nats ring is obvious for the dex bonus but with crit chance very expensive. I have the money after recently selling a witching out for 100mill just would like know where to spend. Thanks heaps.
Hey Genesis, its really great that somebody like you takes time to help other players. My char has 1700 LOH and 1200 life regen to handle reflect but I dont know how to go about to increase my dps to probably around 200k if possible. I have like 8mil gold but I do farm regularly. Can you help me so that I could farm higher MP levels. Many thanks in advance and looking forward to your reply.
@HAQattaq

You've got a pretty solid build. Your eHP is pretty good (275k), so I'd say it's DPS time. First thing I would do is get a high dex mempo. That will increase your eHP substantially without reducing your DPS (may even increase is). With that, you'll want to change your jewellery around. Look for things that have both CD and CC on them. I suggest staying away from trifectas for a while. They are very expensive (particularly the rings and ammies) for a lot of people to be able to afford ones good enough to top a difecta (I still don't know if that's a word…). At some point in time, you'll want to get innas pants and belt too. That will give you a great DPS boost. Consider looking into nats some time too. Get a 3 piece set (no helm) as it will give you a great DPS boost without really effecting your eHP.

@SpectorV

Fair enough with the AR comment. I'd suggest putting your build in the build calculator I linked in the first post to simulate what the actual loss is (be sure to expand the eHP section on the right side to see the value with dodge). I don't really see anywhere you can add some CD. I wouldn't worry though; you're at 415% unbuffed now. Last time I checked you, I think you were somewhere around 300? Obviously more is better, but as you pointed out, that basically needs to come from nats ring which is costly (or your gems which are also costly).

Before you start purely upgrading dex, consider working your build to get 2 piece innas and a mempo in there. Those 3 items could add somewhere around 200-250 dex without spending a fortune (and will also add attack speed, CC, holy damage and movement speed). You'd probably get over 25k DPS from those items.

@Rockonman

Firs thing I would do is get nats boots and ditch your nats sight for a mempo. It will net you an eHP, DPS and movement speed gain. Also look into a DML. You can get high dex ones (similar to yours) just with higher CC and atatck speed. Also, look into getting CD on your gloves. I would definitely upgrade your manticore to either a high damage 2 soc or very high damage 1 soc. From a DPS perspective, innas 2 piece would give you quite an edge too. Also consider upgrading your bracers. That 18 AR counts for nothing really, so make sure you either make that higher or ditch it entirely and get way better dex and vit on there.

@Cerberus

I honestly don't know what it's worth haha. I generally don't ever look at manticores like that. The build calculator I use is linked in the first post. It's a great one - I highly suggest using it. For eHP values, be sure to check the dodge value. That's actually the useful one (it's not like dodge just doesn't happen or something).

@Oracle

Looks pretty good. I don't know much about hand crossbows though, so I find it hard to comment. Higher DPS on the calamity would be better, but I hear that gets expensive in a hurry. I would suggest getting CD and CC on both your gloves and ammy. Attack speed is less important, particularly when you shoot as fast as you do. As for the mempo comment, you don't need CC for it to be a great DPS and eHP boost. You'd get at least another 100 dex on there plus attack speed, so you'd come out way ahead on the damage front. It's worth looking into. Build looks good though!

@MORG

Congrats! 100k is a great milestone. Thanks for those words of encouragement; I'm glad some people are finding this helpful.

I would suggest looking into getting a WF with a socket to boost your CD. WF users are already disadvantaged in that department right out of the gates, so that's definitely something I feel you need. I'd also suggest looking into a belt with AR on there if you aren't going to use inna's. Also try grabbing higher dex and vit on your shoulders while keeping the AR. Overall your build is looking pretty good!

@Deathree

I'm not a WF user myself, but I've heard some people really love the knockback. If you find that a vital part of the bow, then keep it. If you don't care, go for the DPS. You could consider knockback a form of survivability I guess, so really keep that in mind.

WIth your eHP, you might be able to afford siwtching to 2 piece innas. That would give you a huge DPS boost. If that doesn't put you over 100k, I'm pretty sure replacing one of your rings with nats would. Also, you DEFINITELY need to upgrade your DML. You can get another 9% AS on that (18% is good enough if that saves you a chunk of gold). That should add on a ton of DPS right away.

@Tipozzo

Try looking into a calamity that has lower damage but a socket. Simulate it and see what the damage difference is. I'd also suggest changing your left ring for one that has higher dex, CC and CD. Something to consider is dropping your helm for a mempo. That would boost your eHP, HP and DPS all in one go (at the cost of disc, but you've got plenty). By doing that, you'll want to replace tactical advantage with night stalker. Since your HP is kind of low, try finding an ammy with similar stats as your current one, just with vit on there too. With that vit upgrade, you could replace the vit gem in your armour with a dex gem. Also look into dropping your witching hour for 2 piece innas. Simulate it to see what the DPS gain would be (don't test it in game, they don't factor in the set bonus). Use the calculator I have in the first post.

@Trueblood

I would replace your right ring with nats ring. That would give you a big DPS boost (of course at the cost of the exp boost). Your pants and belt combo seem to be giving you some eHP, so changing those would require some fiddling. If you want to change those, get innas 2 piece and then get a mempo. I feel like the mempo will offset the eHP loiss while increasing DPS by a lot. Also upgrade your DML. Your AS could be like 5 higher.

@xfearlz

Looks pretty good. I'd suggest you look into getting difectas on your rings, ammy and gloves. With gloves, I mean to drop the AS for dex and vit - it will probably net you an upgrade in all departments, but simulate it. Look fofr CD and CC since your AS is already good. You may want to look into 3 piece nats at this stage, and probably innas 2 piece too. Your witching hour is deceiving; a cheap inna's belt would probably add more DPS, and definitely would if you pair it with innas pants. Looks good overall though!

@ximperiusxx

Your DML has low attack speed, so see what you can do to make that closer to 20. Look into getting nats ring too. That would give you a great DPS boost over your hellfire. I'd also suggest replacing your AS/CC difectas with CC/CD. I am of the opinion that innas, a DML and nats ring adds adequate AS to warrant dropping it everywhere else for CD and CC. Other than that, just keep working on dex and eHP. You're in good shape!

@BEV

Getting from where you are to 200k is a pretty tough spot. It's expensive! The things that will push you over that mark ARE upgrades like nats ring with a second trifecta, Something I see you definitely need to upgrade is your DML. Other than that, I don't see anything vitally wrong. For pure DPS, a higher dex andys (no soc) would be better. Just keep working on your dex, as that is basically all that's left (and nats ring of course).

@CableCruiser

I don't mean to get your hopes down, but 200k is miles away. 8m won't get you anywhere near that sadly. The sample build I made cost 75m and got about half way (but it gets more expensive the higher you get). Blackthorne's isn't really a DH set, so I would suggest changing it out. Understand that your LPS and LOH would basically be pounded to the ground, so you need gloom. Take a look at my sample build to see what I would put in place of those items. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask me!

@Deathree

I'm not a WF user myself, but I've heard some people really love the knockback. If you find that a vital part of the bow, then keep it. If you don't care, go for the DPS. You could consider knockback a form of survivability I guess, so really keep that in mind.

WIth your eHP, you might be able to afford siwtching to 2 piece innas. That would give you a huge DPS boost. If that doesn't put you over 100k, I'm pretty sure replacing one of your rings with nats would. Also, you DEFINITELY need to upgrade your DML. You can get another 9% AS on that (18% is good enough if that saves you a chunk of gold). That should add on a ton of DPS right away.

Thanks a lot for the advice :), just got a couple more questions for ya :)

i was trying to upgrade my DML, what do u feel about the skill damage% increase, because i have heard rumors thats the best way to increase actual damage dealt but it wont affect ur dps # on the spreadsheet? because i did look into some high AS ones, but the ones with elemental arrow or hungering arrow damage increase cost wayy too much >.<, took ur advice got a 17% as DML with bola damage, any higher costs too much for me at this point, i also switched windforce with a cheap regular bow to test out, my dps increased to 103k, so whats next for me, how do i begin my journey to 150k?

for innas two piece should i go for cheap dps upgrade (just dex), or save up for some good ones with vit and other important defensive stats(armor)?

im sitting at around 8mil~
@Oracle

Looks pretty good. I don't know much about hand crossbows though, so I find it hard to comment. Higher DPS on the calamity would be better, but I hear that gets expensive in a hurry. I would suggest getting CD and CC on both your gloves and ammy. Attack speed is less important, particularly when you shoot as fast as you do. As for the mempo comment, you don't need CC for it to be a great DPS and eHP boost. You'd get at least another 100 dex on there plus attack speed, so you'd come out way ahead on the damage front. It's worth looking into. Build looks good though!

Yeah...I'm paying through the nose for mediocre gear in the name of aesthetics for DW. LOL. I just like the look and speed, though I may end up switching over sometime if I find an OK DML or if I get closer to upgrading everything that I want and buy one from AH. I've definitely been looking at CC and CD on gloves and amulet, but haven't found anything that excited me yet. For the mempo, yeah, doing a quick rough estimate 100 dex and 8 IAS would give me a 2k+ boost to DPS. Would also help my EHP, obviously, since my AR is a little on the low side. I've scratched up 15 mil gold right now, so I'm mostly looking for deals on these things and saving up nowadays.
@hmk21

Well…. your profile is telling me you've got 9.19 DPS while fully geared. You, sir, need to improve your DPS.

That was a joke.

Serious time. Your build looks pretty good, especially considering a bunch of the gear came from a monk. Your andys concerns me a bit though. I'm always tentative with them, particularly when they have high fire damage. That 22% there is going to be pretty deadly. You might consider getting a mempo. You'll lose some DPS, but make up HUGE ground on the eHP front (and get yourself a nice socket for extra exp or life). Shoulders could be upgraded to have higher vit, but that's not crucial (I'd look into rares if you wanted to do that). Your CD is MEGA low though. 161% is really not going to cut it. A huge source of damage for a DH comes from critting often and for large amounts. While your attack speed is probably ridiculous, that DPS doesn't translate to damage per hit but rather number of hits. I kinda see it analogous to chucking pencils really fast at someone vs. chucking fist sized stones at someone slightly slower. Both will suck and kill them eventually, but the rocks will end it faster. Other than that, great build. You're definitely on the right track (assuming your eHP is reasonable. I don't have a fricken clue what it is).

thanks for the feedback, i dropped andy's... and picked up a new hood and new shoulders in lieu of vile wards (cant stand the look) and found a decent ring last night that bumped my crit damage up some 44%. im going to replace my bracers with 5+% crit chance, 150+ dex 150 vit, and some all resists.

thx :D
@Genesis, thanks for including the process you use to evaluate the DH. I appreciate (and I am sure many others do as well). I think I am at the point where any upgrades will be "costly!" I did however pick up an Andarial's Visage last night on the AH for 533K. My question is regarding a stat on the helm, the 22% more fire damage taken. Does this stat mean that if I use a skill (or weapon) that delivers "fire" damage will be increased by 22% (22% added to the overall damage as fire)? Thanks again for your post!
Hey Genesis - would love some advice - i know i need a better amulet - that will just be luck. Also a ring with CC. but where else to go...i am not really all too sure..
I'd definitely like a little advice! I really need it lol, so far I found the Xbow im using and basing my build off of SS. Can't upgrade really cause the money is a huge issue, gotta get lucky it seems to make your first few millions then find lucky deals on the AH
The build calculator I use is linked in the first post.

D'oh. Thanks. Actually, I've tried this one before but when I had used it the simulate/compare function wasn't working. Now it does! Awesome~
Great topic!

I just hit 60 not too long ago and just started farming for newer gear. As I only have about 500k gold at the moment to buy new gear from the AH. I know my guy could use a lot of help but I am not sure where to start.
I love the glass cannon aspect of the class and would love any input you could give as to where I should upgrade my gear next to reach the highest DPS I can while staying alive. Also if you can, what MP/ACT I could farm to try and get the gear.

I forgot to equip my Quiver when I logged off and will do so when in about an hour.
Hi Genesis. Thanks for giving advice. I read this thread daily on building up my DH. Extremely helpful. Would like some advice on my build. Struggling at the moment with not much gold to improve my build. What would you recommend I upgrade next. Thanks!
Help me, sir :)

I think I've hit a bit of a gear wall. I'm debating just stashing Legacy Nat's and try finding pieces of new Nats for the higher eHP and DPS
Hey guys. I've got a !@#$ton of work to do (engineering student life...). I don't have time right now to go through everyone who has posted, so basically just let this be me letting you know I will get to it when I can. Until then, I suggest you thoroughly read the first post, take a look at my sample build, and read some other advice I've given out. A lot of it is the same advice just flavoured slightly differently (generally it comes down to increasing CC/CD/eHP). Often I suggest getting 3 piece nats, 2 piece innas and a mempo.

Time will be getting tighter for me as finals get closer, so I would really prefer it if you guys could post asking for specific advice. I've posted a guideline (and my thought process) in the first post to help you walk through it. After reading and thinking about all that, feel free to ask specific questions and I'll help you. When someone asks for a complete evaluation, more often than not it takes me 10 minutes to think about what I would suggest. With all these posts, it's HOURS!

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to help. Just try to help yourselves as per my guidelines and ask me anything you don't understand. Great questions I like to see is "should I use this item instead of that?", or "if I do this and that, do you think that would work?". Hopefully you all understand. I will still be here, but my time is so limited that long answers can't happen frequently.
Take my word for it, there are a lot of people just reading these posts and learning a lot. I remember going from act one inferno to act two, slam brick wall. Thought I had a fairly good build, not. Some tweeking was necessary, but where to find out what to change to improve? Ah......the Genesis Demon Hunter gear guide! Priceless.
For anyone curious, I'm pretty sure that with the way prices have been dropping lately, my sample build would cost maybe 50m now. Getting that kind of DPS is becoming even more achievable!

@Deathree

It's true and false at the same time. Attack speed will increase your DPS for everything, whereas the DML bonus will increase your DPS for that particular skill (I'm sure you knew that). Obviously having both high AS and a useful bonus is good, I use different attacks for different things so overall DPS is what I look for generally. I use bola to take out elites, which is why I have that bonus on my DML. White trash dies fast enough without elemental arrow damage needed, and elites are a clear bottleneck for efficiency, so that type of DML (the one you just bought) is what I would go for. Good call imo.

For you to get to next level DPS, you need to get a bow that has CD on it. While your rare bow has high base damage, that isn't enough when you're being shortchanged the CD. If you're set on a bow, see if you can find one with natural CD on it. If you are indifferent, look into a manticore. You'll have lower attack speed, but your damage will shoot right up. I've tried using my scoundrel's WF for !@#$s and giggles (no CD on it, but I'm still at around what you are) and I found it too painful and slow to deal with. It's worth a thought at least.

I'd suggest ditching one of your rings for a nats reflection. Without simulating, I can't be 100% sure, but my gut tells me the way higher dex (set bonus) and attack speed bonus would boost your DPS quite a bit. Also, getting inna's 2 piece is a HUGE way to boost DPS. You get CC, attack speed, 7-8% holy damage, and sockets for dex (plus the set bonus). It's just extremely stacked in the DPS department without requiring you to sell your sister to buy it. Short of that, there isn't much more I can see to change. It will basically come down to upgrading dex/CD/CC/AS on each piece as you can to upgrade.

For your budget, stick to cheaper inna's I'd say. It gets pricey pretty quickly when you look for vit. If you can work your gear around so that you don't need vit on that slot, then you're golden for now and will be in even better shape when you can afford to upgrade it.

@Oracle

Yeah, I bet you are haha. Some people love it though, so stick with it if you do. As for the mempo comment, you can do much better than 100 dex. If you don't look for vit on it (AS is always on a mempo), you can get 200+ dex pretty cheaply. So basically I would suggest taking the mempo for two of its basic, yet essential aspects; the AR, %life and socket for eHP, and it's massive potential for dex and attack speed bonus. I'm seeing 180+ dex mempos for as low as 4.5m, so that's definitely a big DPS upgrade.

@hmk21

That's a pretty decent helm. It ranks right up there with the mempo (no %life, but oh well). Looks like you're still on the right track!

@XxMOOSExX

What that bonus on andy's means is that you actually become more vulnerable to fire. That is, every fire attack done against you will do 22% more damage. For that reason, if you are absolutely convinced that andy's is what you want, you want one with somewhere around 5% fire damage (5 is the lowest). Up to 10 would be acceptable I guess, but 20+ is definitely not going to be good.

By the look of your gear, it seems that you might be able to afford a decent helm. Look into a mempo. While the are expensive with CC on them, even a high dex mempo would probably give you comparable DPS. I'm seeing mempos with 240 dex for around 27m, going up to 278 (wouldn't bother going for anything more expensive than that, since you'll eventually want CC on it). But as an intermediate piece, high dex mempos are pretty great. Slap a little vit on there if you need it, but that increases the cost by a lot and will reduce your ability to get high dex.

@Winterus

I see a bunch of room for DPS on your DML. Your attack speed could be up to 5% higher, and I would personally try to get a DML with 250+ dex and 190 ish vit rather than the reverse. Your andys also should be changed out imo. Yours has high fire damage on it and not much else going for it. Look into a mempo. As I suggested to xxmoosexx, high dex mempos would probably give you comparable DPS and would increase your eHP significantly. Your hellfire is pretty bad honestly (I've got the same luck), so hopefully that is just an exp ring or something. Your proper ring should have high dex, CC and CD on it.

@Se7enbelow

Looks like a pretty good start to a DH. You're right though - money is holding back your DH. Keep working at getting some more gold and then you'll be in better shape! Take a look at my sample build. It will give you a good direction to go in the future.

@Cerberus

Haha. I did kinda stick it at the bottom of a huge wall of text, so I don't blame you. It's a great calculator. Everyone should be using it (or something like it) before buying any gear.

@Sygfreed

Thanks! I'd really really REALLY suggest not considering glass canons. Particularly now with MP, glass canons are not effective. The point of them is to be able to nuke everything before they can get to you. That just won't happen in higher MP levels, so you have to be able to take some hits. With a 500k budget, I don't even know where I would begin honestly. Try to get some more gold if you can. Keep farming and you'll get there.

@trashken

Thanks! I'm glad you're finding it helpful. If you're struggling with gold, that could be a problem, but I'll point out where I would first invest upon having some gold.

First and foremost is your bow. Yours has incredibly low DPS to be honest. I'm looking at some 1175+ DPS manticores with over 180 dex for 5m or less right now. That's where you need to be. Your gloves could use some dex on them, but I understand that is costly. Your bracers should definitely have CC on them. Yours is too low, so you should work on that where you can. Your DML could also have much higher attack speed, so see what you can with that. Consider raplacing one of your rings with nats reflection. They are unbelievably cheap right now, and I feel like even one of the cheapest ones would give you a DPS boost over your current rings. I don't see anything critically wrong with your build though, so good job!

@Puzzlebox

I've never used leg nats before, but from what I have heard, it's one of those things you need a good set for it to be truly worth it. New nats is definitely a great way to increase your DPS and eHP. I love mine and don't find disc an issue while using night stalker. If you switch out your leg nats for 3 piece new nats, a mempo and innas belt, your DPS will jump massively. The rest of your gear is all excellent - I can't think of anything (other than your ring) that I would change - only upgrade over time. Great job!

@MORG

Thank you! I'm seriously happy that people find this useful. I remember when I first started as DH, I didn't really understand what I needed to do. I watched a bunch of videos and read some things, but even that didn't really teach me what I needed to know. I asked for some help and I got garbage advice, so I figured that I might be able to alleviate the confusion and frustration that some of you might be dealing with.
Did I kill interest entirely? I'm still open for questions and suggestions!
what would i need to upgrade next? thanks
11/17/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Light
what would i need to upgrade next? thanks

The weakest link in your gear is the DML with the 16% attack speed, but that isn't really a big deal... That is a really good set of gear you've got there. Consider looking into a high dex mempo with CC. That would boost your DPS and eHP, but your nats set clearly isn't hindering your damage or anything else. Seriously a great set of gear.
I'm glad this thread exists, because I need the help. I need more EHp, I know, but I can't seem to find anything that isn't hundreds of millions of gold on the AH. Any Advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!