Patch 1.0.5a causes sound lag/stuttering

Mac Technical Support
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if you are asking me if any other game is suffering from this, the answer is no.

It's only with D3 that I'm having this issue, and only after patch 1.0.5a, nothing before that.

Thanks, :)
I've tried replacing D3Prefs with my old one (before patch) but it didn't help.

I think it's strange that there isn't anyone else reporting about this since I've seen others having this problem on other sites and a colleague at work is also having the same problem (but he also suffers from rubber banding).

Maybe there just aren't many OSX ML users out there or else they are having bigger issues.

It's playable, but it's getting VERY annoying. It's not fun to play D3 like this...

I've also been having the issue with D3 using the HD4000 instead of 650M again, so I forced it (in the the powersaving options) to use the 650M. I've never had this problem before, and all my other games are working fine (i.e. Borderlands, Trine 2, Doom 3, Rage, Portal 2).

So either Apple did some "secret update" or it's the 1.0.5a that is causing this.

Looking forward for a solution. :)
@Chairten

Perhaps OS X gamers have a higher threshold for poor gaming performance. I don't know why people aren't clamoring for fixes either, it's not like I'm running an ancient Mac. In fact it's quite powerful and runs (albeit less demandingly so) titles like Starcraft 2/Counter-Strike: GO flawlessly.

You hit the nail on the head, it's playable but not fun.
I have the same issue on an i7 MacBook Pro Retina. It started with 1.05a, and I got fed up with the quality of gameplay and stopped playing right after the update. I've been less than active in keeping my eye on the forums and responding (partly because I don't feel like troubleshooting for hours to get to the same answers that others seem to be finding: it don't work).

Like Ghostpos said, maybe there are more users out there experiencing this, but are either tolerating it (I don't know how they are, I can't), or they're taking my approach: quit until the next patch and see if it works then.
I guess we have to wait and hope Blizzard knows about the problem and get a fix out in 1.0.5b or something...

It's rather annoying since it's been working fine for me until this patch, I've rarely seen any rubber banding (I'm on EU-servers) and have good latency (pending between 60 - 90ms).

Tried playing some this weekend but it was so annoying so I just quit... :(
Created a support ticket.
Still looking into these types of reports.

Thanks for hanging in there. I'll try to get more information and see if anything is found.

Now I've tried with reinstalling OS X 10.8.0 (didn't do a clean reinstall, just installed it over existing version from my USB stick).

After installing 10.8.0 I started D3 and the stutter was there, then I installed the updates (10.8.2) and the stutter was still there.
I've also tried some longer gaming session and eventually I'll get a lot of these entrys in the d3debug.txt:

a3dun_Bridge_Interior_Random01...
2012.11.07 19:47:15.586103461 Disposing UI for World
2012.11.07 19:48:09.726048202 Disposing UI for World
2012.11.07 19:48:09.975918440 FMOD Error sound not ready in 200ms
2012.11.07 19:48:09.976067345 FMOD Error during 'FMOD_Sound_SetDefaults': Operation could not be performed because specified sound/DSP connection is not ready.
2012.11.07 19:48:09.977643032 FMOD Memory - total: 100663296
2012.11.07 19:48:09.977732884 FMOD Memory - allocated: 72710744, - max allocated:

Sometimes when I change zones I get like 4fps and if I wait for 10-15 seconds the frame rate goes up to normal again (capped it at 32fps). This happens most often if I use the town portal, but it has also happened when I just changed zone.

It really seems like it all has something to do with the sound in D3. As I said earlier, I have no problems with other games or with iTunes/Spotify/Skype.
Tried disabling the sound (options/sound) but still get the stutter and "Disposing sound subsystem..." in the D3debug.txt.
Good news!

Found a workaround. :)

The thing that is causing this is that AirPlay on my rMBP is redetecting the "Airserver" (an AirPlay server connected to my TV) and since AirPlay is presented as audio device D3 gets kind of confused when it suddenly has a new sound device and therefore resets the sound.

The workaround is to shutdown the Airserver/ATV so my rMPB won't detect any AirPlay device on the network.

So it's not entirely D3's fault that this is happening, but partly, because no other game or application is having this issue.

Strange thing is that this happened right after 1.0.5a, but maybe that was a coincidence or maybe something that has to do with hardware detection was changed in the patch?

This would explain why so few is having this issue, since they need to have an AirPlay enabled Mac and also an AirPlay server/ATV running on their network. I don't own a ATV so I don't know if this problem is isolated to "AirServer" or if it effects ATV's too.
I am having the same symptoms. How do I shut down airserver?

Edit* just realized its an airserver running on somebody else's computer on my campus network, so it seems like there's nothing I can do, unless there's a way to disable my laptop from attempting to find airservers
so i think the "sound device caps" I'm getting in my debug reports are similar to yours. However I don't follow on how I can apply your solution to my situation. I do use a personal secure wifi, but I don't know about airserver/atv on my mac mini. I don't think I have one but I am getting similar low fps issues.

more info on my op
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435532

not meaning to re-direct. But I feel this is an issue preventing me enjoying the game as I once had.
I am having the same symptoms. How do I shut down airserver?

Edit* just realized its an airserver running on somebody else's computer on my campus network, so it seems like there's nothing I can do, unless there's a way to disable my laptop from attempting to find airservers

That's why Blizz need to take a look at this, because something is wrong with the audio detection (or similar).

so i think the "sound device caps" I'm getting in my debug reports are similar to yours. However I don't follow on how I can apply your solution to my situation. I do use a personal secure wifi, but I don't know about airserver/atv on my mac mini. I don't think I have one but I am getting similar low fps issues.

more info on my op
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7005435532

not meaning to re-direct. But I feel this is an issue preventing me enjoying the game as I once had.

If you don't know if you have "AirServer" or an "AppleTV" then you probably don't have one, but maybe you have an AirPort Express? AirPort Express also has AirPlay (audio only).

I don't think it's Airplay that is causing your problem, but it might be the same bug in D3 that is causing both our problems since you are also getting some sound errors.
11/12/2012 07:44 AMPosted by Chairten
That's why Blizz need to take a look at this, because something is wrong with the audio detection (or similar).
Confirmed! I have same problem - sound issue, but im use windows 8 x64 with creative x-fi titanium hd (latest drivers). i cant get 5.1 just stereo. Debug file: FMOD Error sound not ready in 200ms
FMOD Error during 'FMOD_Sound_SetDefaults': Operation could not be performed because specified sound/DSP connection is not ready.
FMOD Memory - total: 121634816
FMOD Memory - allocated: 96033560, - max allocated: 96061224

BLIZZARD, HELP !!! Game is unplayable !!!