Hybrid Archon Guide

Wizard
Prev 1 11 12 13 17 Next

AS is definitely key to resetting Archon faster. I lost 9% going to Storm Crow, but gained 10 APOC allowing me to spam WW and resetting it faster than with LL and the 9%AS.

The LOH is why I can get my Deep Freeze off without using a skill slot on Diamond Skin. Before i switched to Storm Crow I was using Healing Blades instead of LL.

Won't you also lose DPS going to storm crow? I have one with 10 APOC and 400+LoH. May be i will try it today and see if the loss in DPS is bad enough. With my current setup (pinpoint, prism, mistrel breeze), i never need any APOC to reset archon though .. particularly in Act 3 with high mob density.
I really wouldn't suggest going Storm Crow over Mempo.

Mempo offers a lot of good compared to the Storm Crow for Archon users.

The problem is affording the Mempo that is worth it.....Storm Crow would be more of a budget Hybrid spec, but losing 70-80 Ar plus about 100 int(10 AR) is hard to recover on other gear.
I go from 309k dps buffed with Andariels to 300k buffed with Stormcrow, but I take 12%less fire damage, do 4% more dmg to elites, can reset Archon in seconds under 2.0 aps due to the apoc, can survive out of Archon without an LS weapon due to LOH etc.

I would go Mempo in a heartbeat, as soon as I can afford one, its BIS. I just think for my setup right now Stormcrow is more useful to me than Andariels.
I go from 309k dps buffed with Andariels to 300k buffed with Stormcrow, but I take 12%less fire damage, do 4% more dmg to elites, can reset Archon in seconds under 2.0 aps due to the apoc, can survive out of Archon without an LS weapon due to LOH etc.

I would go Mempo in a heartbeat, as soon as I can afford one, its BIS. I just think for my setup right now Stormcrow is more useful to me than Andariels.

What is your EHP? I am still debating whether to run it with glass canon. I am too squishy so often i run without glass canon .. and even using pinpoint, my DPS will be below 300k. May be i can try with glass canon & switch to my stormcrow. That would be very similar to your set up.

Right now i am running with mistrel breeze to save on AP. If i wear a stormcrow, may be i can try WW instead.

So many variations. So many decisions. And it is just one build.

What is your EHP? I am still debating whether to run it with glass canon. I am too squishy so often i run without glass canon .. and even using pinpoint, my DPS will be below 300k. May be i can try with glass canon & switch to my stormcrow. That would be very similar to your set up.

Right now i am running with mistrel breeze to save on AP. If i wear a stormcrow, may be i can try WW instead.

So many variations. So many decisions. And it is just one build.

347k EHP, I stacked armor so I could run Glass Canon on higher MP. I only lose 8k EHP running GC but gain 33k DMG, unless diabloprogess is calculating wrong, but I think it makes sense, roughly 60AR and 600Armor difference accounting for a 10% reduction.
I am sharing this experience and my apologies if this has been discussed before.

I wanted to use WW without APOC with fast refresh for the cooldown for archon and with a limited cast of WW since I would run out of AP fast. My aim is that the cooldown should be within 10-15 seconds with just 1 mob with limited WW cast. The main purpose of this is in uber when there is little or no mass mob for fast refresh of archon. I find LL casting for archon refresh to be too slow when there is only 1-2 mobs.

For lower cc: I ran with cc48 without pinpoint and I find that I can't really cooldown fast enough. Also, there are gaps in the freeze cycle if I do not use cold snap. My dps is around 280k with GC, magic weapon and sparkflint and 230k with just magic weapon. My AS is 2.03.

For higher cc: I use a nat set for the cc bonus (with a corresponding drop in dps as it replaced my zuni set). My cc is 57 + 3 from the scoundrel buff. Without using pinpoint, I find that I can really freeze very well (almost, but not quite to the point of freeze-lock). Also reset from single mob is pretty decent (around 15s). My dps is only around 210+k with just magic weapon. My AS is 2.17.

I run at MP6,7, 8 and 10.

My experience shows that at high MP levels (8 and 10), archon refresh and freeze is more important than higher dps. I can survive reasonably well and play reasonably well with 210kdps and cc60 at MP8 and 10 compared to cc48 and 280k dps. In fact, I prefer this build at MP8 and 10. At MP 6 and 7, the higher dps makes mob killing faster though.

Does anyone else feel that in high MP levels using WW only to refresh cc is more important that dps? Anyone else tried the same thing? The aim, I would to remind forummers, is to refresh and freeze mobs with very limited number of monsters.

My profile is in asian server (and in korean): http://kr.battle.net/d3/ko/profile/LUCSAMI-6650/hero/14926109
First:

@LUCSASMI

I like to pair LL and WW together on higher MP levels and just run DS. If not, then I still prefer using LL over WW as this build is based on no APoC gear. For Mp 9-10 Nova/DS still trumps and I'd rather go with LL as I just said. I am glad you have found success with WW, but it's a matter of preference at that point and what you're comfortable with.

Other things on my mind regarding the patch:

There are talks that black weapons may be receiving a nerf of some kind. I have the math about 5-7% nerf of your current DPS weapon. At 7% it would bring my weapon down to 1094.61. If that is the case, I'd lose 17k dps and drop from 307k unbuffed to 290k. I really hope Blizz wouldn't be as silly as that and issue this nerf to be retroactive. If they do, I am afraid they may lose a ton of top geared players....such as myself.
So Schenko I tried LL/WW with Arcane Dynamo for solo'ing ubers and it kicks !@#. With my 3.0LS wand I just sit there taking all their hits and the fight is over in 30 seconds. Easy farming.
:) success story! It is honestly better than sns if geared correctly.

LS just isn't about handling reflect damage, it's about handling all damage especially on the higher MP levels.
Couchy, what is the stat on your LS weapon and how much you pay for it?

I am in the market for one .. but can't find anything that i can afford and is not a huge downgrade in DPS.
Couchy, what is the stat on your LS weapon and how much you pay for it?

I am in the market for one .. but can't find anything that i can afford and is not a huge downgrade in DPS.

It's a 1032 DPS black wand, 3.0LS, 14 max arcane, open socket, paid 5 mil for it. I only use it for reflect mobs and ubers since it is a big DPS downgrade for me as well.

I am looking for a new weapon with LS/crit dmg/OS to replace my Echoing Fury for regular farming. I bought the EF mainly for pvp, but when i started farming with it and could clear my regular act 3 route without dying I stuck with it. Still not a solution for reflect/ubers/higher MP.
Also 2.03 aps / 47.5% crit makes a big difference using LL/WW without APOC

I got a nice Lacuni drop today so went back to Andariels to push me over 2.0 and my DPS is much higher and the refresh rate, while still not as fast as deep/ww/ with apoc, is still super fast. Will probably look for a new better Andy's with All Res to hold me over until I can make a big Mempo purchase.
Thanks Schenko, this build works great! Little bit of kiting needed now and then when out of archon form, but at just 1.83 AS it beats the ol' frost nova combo hands down.
BTW I tested this build in MP7 and Mp8 Ubers.

Another alternative is to get APoC on whichever item u can squeeze it onto, which increases your twister quantity thus further cutting down the archon cooldown...
@Leonidas

Hey, you're welcome. Glad to see you were able to get decent work out of this build.

I believe I am going to be cashing out for the second time. We will see how it goes.

I got a nice Lacuni drop today so went back to Andariels to push me over 2.0 and my DPS is much higher and the refresh rate, while still not as fast as deep/ww/ with apoc, is still super fast. Will probably look for a new better Andy's with All Res to hold me over until I can make a big Mempo purchase.

Nice. I took your approach and also got a LS wand. A loss of 57k dps but 3% LS does wonder to survivability.

BTW, did the lacuni reduces your EHP much? I am considering buying one too but i can't find one that is not a big hit on EHP.

Nice. I took your approach and also got a LS wand. A loss of 57k dps but 3% LS does wonder to survivability.

BTW, did the lacuni reduces your EHP much? I am considering buying one too but i can't find one that is not a big hit on EHP.

It is a big hit, but I transferred the loss of all res over to my new helm. It's all a juggling act. Now I'm short on vit, so I need to find some new Zuni boots with AR/high vit if I can.

The DPS hit on the LS/non-ls weapon is huge, but don't shy away from weapon swapping frequently. On ubers today I used my EF on maghda/king with no issue, but had to switch to LS for Ghom/Rakh.

It is a big hit, but I transferred the loss of all res over to my new helm. It's all a juggling act. Now I'm short on vit, so I need to find some new Zuni boots with AR/high vit if I can.

The DPS hit on the LS/non-ls weapon is huge, but don't shy away from weapon swapping frequently. On ubers today I used my EF on maghda/king with no issue, but had to switch to LS for Ghom/Rakh.

Yeah .. i swap a lot now. Also, i found that the energy armor rune makes a difference. Even with 4.5% LS (weapon + blood magic), i am losing life if i don't use prismatic. I suppose the hit on res/armor of glass canon is quite a bit. So i am juggling skills too .. i found

GC + prismatic ... ok. If i do uber, or higher MP, i may need to take off GC but probably can use pinpoint then.
Here to stay....decided to not cash out. Sometimes it's better to just take a few days off.
01/24/2013 05:31 AMPosted by Schenko7
Here to stay....decided to not cash out. Sometimes it's better to just take a few days off.

Yea the break I took over christmas really was nice, came back after a couple weeks and had more fun than I had in a while. Also cashed out on some nice gear i had so re-gearing was fun as well.

GC + prismatic ... ok. If i do uber, or higher MP, i may need to take off GC but probably can use pinpoint then.

Definitely don't use GC for ubers, I went the LL/WW/Dynamo route. Get 5 stack for Dynamo on a trash mob anywhere, port back to town, hop in the uber portal and refresh your buffs, then pop Archon and blast away. The highest I could solo ubers was MP6 but it was a hassle, at my DPS MP5 is the sweet spot, made a bunch of dex rings for my monk the other day.

In other news I decided to try Teleport/Scramble in MP5 and it works. Much faster farming. than Improved Archon/Pinpoint. Had to swap to higher EHP bracers, and only use my LS wand... sitting at 740 All Res 4800 armor unbuffed, can face tank reflect and stand on fire.
i just hope they implement that life on kill state for all party members during archon... i cant wait to see 4 wiz archon farming past mp5 XD