[Guide] Gearing tips from Sir Piffle

Monk
Prev 1 10 11 12 14 Next
Thank you for your suggestions on my upgrade path, Piffle. I guess there are no significant yet cheap DPS boosts that I can pick up if I want to retain two LS weaps and continue to use BT pants.

Ive been mulling over the innas belt + double black weapon combo. Will try to find similar weapons that are black damage before buying the belt.

Will also try to spring for some trifecta gloves within the 20m range. I saw a great deal on one the other day but was short on cash lol.

Also looking at some WHs with dex but nice ones are expensive and hard to find. Will also try to tradeup my BT chest for one with more stats since I got it for cheap anyway. I was initially going to buy BT pants with sockets but they were too expensive for my budget.
Yep, just knighted myself.
I spent 20Mil tonight including the gems and followed your guide. I was able to do MP5 without any issues. See my profile.

MP3 was a walk in the park. Thanks for a great guide. Monks are a good change of pace from Witch Doctors.
Glad it helped!

Also to people who send me friend requests - while I am happy to offer personalized advice, I don't always have time to play every night. If you have gear questions, they might get answered more quickly if you simply post here.
Hey Piffle great guide though I wish I had read it a bit earlier as I had already bought alot of my monk gear prior to reading it. I was just wondering if you had a moment to look over my gear and give me a few suggestions on upgrades to get me to around 100k dps without losing survivability, as i'm terrible with math and figuring this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance :)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shogun-1510/hero/1362707
Well, not sure what your budget is ... but it looks like you've done a pretty solid job so far.

I think if I were in your shoes, I'd upgrade bracers first. Even though you've got 2x resist on them, the AR is pretty low so I think you could probably end up with similar resist just from a high Arcane roll. Try and get ones with higher dex and higher crit.

I like your amulet, but CD instead of XX-XX dmg would provide a bump in dmg. Of course, if you've got enough scratch, a trifecta type would be ideal.

I also like your gloves, but the CD is low, and AS would be ideal.

I'd also be curious to see how you handled LS on just one weapon. You could get a nice dmg jump from replacing your MH, but I dunno if that would cut your sustain too much for you to be comfortable with.

Obviously there are also legendary/set items to look into if your budget is high enough. Vile Ward, Witching Hour, Nats combo, etc.

Outside of that, you're kind of just in a place where you need higher rolls on your gear.
Thanks Piffle going to work on those things, atm my budget isnt all that great and I've been debating whether or not to throw some real $ into my monk as to save some time farming.

I work 60-80 hour weeks generally and in game it'd take me weeks and/or a ton of luck to gather up 100 mill gold but less then an hour in rl to make the 27$ for it on rmah.

Appreciate your time looking over my profile :) have a good one
People tend to undervalue Dex on weapons and overvalue DPS & sockets. This is particularly true for dual wielders and people below the 100K DPS mark. The truth is that it's likely your gear doesn't yet support any gems larger than star. I see a lot of inefficienices in the Monk weapon market and I think maybe a mini-guide for just weapons is in order.

Anyway Shogun, using you as an example (not trying to single you out, your just here right now), you have a gem worth 2.8 million or so in your main hand, yet you can find a better weapon on the market for less than that. For example, I just saw the following axe on the AH and bought it for 1m:

848 DPS
+61 Str
+241 Dex
96% CD
2.6% LS

It should be an upgrade, yet it costs less than the gem in your weapon. The gem in your ring right now represents you paying 2m for +4 Dex. Selling that gem, you could get a chest right now for 1.7million that is:

505 Armor (including str)
+173 Dex
+238 Vit
59 Arcane Res.

Again, no sockets. Sell those gems and that's another 1.6m you make. Now you can buy better shoulders. I found some for 1m.

Anyway, I plus these new gear into d3up and you have 3000 more DPS, 5000 more HP, and more mitigation. Total cost: 0 gold (actually, I think you have gold left over).

The point of all this agin: gems really aren't worth it. You can't really treat a socket as if it's worth +80% CD dex, for example, because it's costing you money to fill those sockets. (You need to treat them like significantly less CD, or treat the weapon as being more expensive.)

However, working 60-80 hours, I know you really don't want to be spending time searching the AH, unless you find that sort of thing fun. I'm one of the weirdo's that likes combing through the AH for deals and can spend hours trying to get a feel for the current state of the D3 economy.

There's no shame in saying you'd rather be playing the actual game and just buying stuff. I've seen people spend more on facebook games. It' a game. use it however you'd get the most fun out of it.

Anyway, sorry for making you my example, Shogun. Hit me up with a friend request and I'll let you have this gear for what I paid. Consider me you personal shopper. If you don't actually have 3.7m, don't worry about it, I can still hook you up (for example, I'll buy the gems you don't need at market value, as if you sold them to the AH).

(If not interested in the gear, no biggie. I just sell the stuff back to the AH.)
@Demiwraith -- I can see what you are saying about gems, but I think there is a part of the gem cost that would be undeniable - which would be its portability from one weapon to the next. There is value on that, but I do not know how to put a gold value on that.

FWIW, my general rule of thumb is that if I were to plug in the extra 10% ChD on my monk and see the DPS difference, and look for an equivalent increase in DPS in gear or weapon and see what the cost is. If they are anywhere close to equivalent, I upgrade my gems. Otherwise, I try to upgrade elsewhere until such a time that my gear can support the extra 10% ChD increase in my gem. Of course, this is all with the philosophy that I don't sacrifice too much (if any) defensively in my upgrades, and an understanding that a big dex upgrade can give you a nice DPS boost as well as small bump in EHP as well. As you can see, all I have are 90% emeralds now, and an equivalent DPS upgrade for the 10% dex is not yet worth it for me to go there. Likewise, upgrades in my gems in my armor aren't worth the cost yet - until I accumulate enough emeralds & tomes that I find in my games to craft the upgrades... not worth buying them out in the AH for me yet.

With all that said, if someone has already put gold into the gem upgrades, I wouldn't sell it, especially since there will come a day in the future you'd eventually buy that gem back anyway. It's a case of eating your gearing "mistake" with your premature upgrade and just churning out more gold through drops to purchase more upgrades.

That's my 2c anyway.
Nah. You only really lose small amounts of money through AH fees, since you generally sell your old gear back. Since I usually only buy gear that is worth more than I pay, I usually actually make money when making small upgrades. Generally, I don't see any reason to do anything but build the most effective possible character for the gold you're spending. You can always buy green gems back later.

The way to put a gold value on portablility, if you needed one, is 15% of the cost of the gems: the AH fee. Generally, the prices are fairly stable over the short term.

Actually, though, green gems seem to be a premium right now. I don't know why they shot up in value, but now would be the time to sell, if you ask me. The one's you find on the ground are going for over 7K. Flawles stars are over 2.8m. Haven't seen that in a while. If you're going to sell at all, nows the time, I think. Especially if doing so improves your character.
Thanks Demi really appreciate the feedback and dont mind at all being made an example of :)

Your absolutely right that working so much the time I do get to spend playing I'd much rather be playing then browsing the ah, though I do see the draw to it if I only had more free time.

Gotta log for the night but I'll get you gold for those items next time I see you online.

Thanks again
i just got this monk to 60 yesterday, man i have alot to work on, on top of the other 2 classes lol
Nah. You only really lose small amounts of money through AH fees, since you generally sell your old gear back. Since I usually only buy gear that is worth more than I pay, I usually actually make money when making small upgrades. Generally, I don't see any reason to do anything but build the most effective possible character for the gold you're spending. You can always buy green gems back later.

The way to put a gold value on portablility, if you needed one, is 15% of the cost of the gems: the AH fee. Generally, the prices are fairly stable over the short term.

Actually, though, green gems seem to be a premium right now. I don't know why they shot up in value, but now would be the time to sell, if you ask me. The one's you find on the ground are going for over 7K. Flawles stars are over 2.8m. Haven't seen that in a while. If you're going to sell at all, nows the time, I think. Especially if doing so improves your character.

They've actually been like that for a while (or at least, high 6k). Everyone uses green gems. That's why they're so expensive.

I tend to agree with Nameless about selling gems. Since gem prices are relatively stable, the chances of you having bought at a much lower price are fairly small. If you sell off gems now, you lose 15% of what you paid ... only to end up buying them back later on. Of course, if you've got the 90% cd gems in all your armor (forget what they're called) and your gear is garbage then you might be better off selling a couple of those.

Either way though, I do agree with you that gems are not an efficient way of getting upgrades.
What would one do with a 315 million budget to build a monk to farm high MP levels for keys/ubers only? :P
01/11/2013 11:22 AMPosted by Burgatron
What would one do with a 315 million budget to build a monk to farm high MP levels for keys/ubers only? :P

I guess this partially depends on whether you want to use OwE or not. Given that I'm not the most familiar with not using OwE, and that I think it's cheaper TO use it ... this is what I would do:

2x Inna (hat, pants)
2x Nats (ring, boots)
Vile Ward
Witching Hour
Echoing Fury

Rest rares.

100% cd gems in weapons, 46-50 dex gems in armor.

They've actually been like that for a while (or at least, high 6k). Everyone uses green gems. That's why they're so expensive.

I tend to agree with Nameless about selling gems. Since gem prices are relatively stable, the chances of you having bought at a much lower price are fairly small. If you sell off gems now, you lose 15% of what you paid ... only to end up buying them back later on. Of course, if you've got the 90% cd gems in all your armor (forget what they're called) and your gear is garbage then you might be better off selling a couple of those.

Either way though, I do agree with you that gems are not an efficient way of getting upgrades.

Hi, Yeah gems are actually the higher right now than they have ever been. They peaked at ~23.5-24m in early July and at the end of August.. right now they are up around 27m? I was lucky and bought a bunch at the end of the October when they were going for 4-4.5mil a piece.

Hi, Yeah gems are actually the higher right now than they have ever been. They peaked at ~23.5-24m in early July and at the end of August.. right now they are up around 27m? I was lucky and bought a bunch at the end of the October when they were going for 4-4.5mil a piece.

Ugh, yea. Totally depressed I missed out on that. They got down to 4.5 mill, and I was (stupidly) waiting for them to get to 4 mill ... then Blizz fixed whatever exploit caused them to drop and they rapidly went back up in price.
So I've been in Inferno for a few weeks now and have been slowly gearing myself out. As I am I rarely die on MP1 but higher MP is not so lucky. I've been gearing out just with drops instead of going to the AH cause thats just my style but this guide will help me a lot in choosing whether to keep or replace stuff in the future.

Thanks for making it!
Np. Hope it helps!
My first post! Thanks for the guide, Piffle. Reaching 60 and reading this has really helped me improve w/o spending a lot of money. I probably spent an average of 50k on most items with the exception of the Inna's helm which was a 350k buyout. I can certainly feel the difference so far, as it seems I tear thru mobs and elites like a lawnmower.

So...anyone care to take a look and tell me what I should start focusing on next? I realize I don't have double stacked resistances on everything, but my AR is like 730 I think, so it seems that's good?

http://d3up.com/b/233261 <- is my monk on d3up if anyone cares to look at that sheet.