bad medicine

Witch Doctor
yesterday a few of us wd's got into a discussion about whether bad medicine procs with zuni boots. my thought (based on a few older threads) was that since my boots add 7% damage as poison, that means all of my attacks would proc bad medicine. someone chimed in and said the skills you use essentially override your damage with whatever element is posted. in other words, if you have +7% arcane damage, but you're using something like blazing spiders, that damage is basically converted into fire damage when it hits the target, UNLESS the damage type was physical. in the case of physical damage, they said, you would in fact do poison damage on top of whatever else.

i'll save you all the suspense and say my results were more confusing than conclusive. the numbers i got were really strange, and i'd really like to know if anyone else has tested this passive and gotten similar results.

i tested in mp2, where i simply let an enemy attack me without fighting back, then while spamming them with poison darts, then blazing spiders (fire), then when they were standing in grasp of the dead (physical). i did this with my boots on and off to compare the %damage received during all scenarios, and these were the numbers i got back:

http://imgur.com/05tuc

so is this passive busted or what? these numbers all over the place. the most confusing of the lot was the inexplicable increase when they were in my grasp of the dead. can anyone shed a little light? is there something about the way i tested this that's incorrect or inconsistent?
bump
bump
bump
Sample size isnt large enough to give any conclusive results, and is likely the reason for the numbers being all over the place.

IE in your first sample, poison darts appears to reduce the damage by 15% however only recording 10 hits, would leave a fairly large margin of error which would likely make up for the 5% variance.

Of course, the above explanation doesnt explain why one would take on average more damage when the mob was in grasp. Just some random though off the top of my head, but what if grasp somehow modifies their attack speed, but not their DPS. IE they attack less often, but do more damage per attack? (sounds completely ridiculous but stranger things have happened).
Sample size isnt large enough to give any conclusive results, and is likely the reason for the numbers being all over the place.

IE in your first sample, poison darts appears to reduce the damage by 15% however only recording 10 hits, would leave a fairly large margin of error which would likely make up for the 5% variance.

Of course, the above explanation doesnt explain why one would take on average more damage when the mob was in grasp. Just some random though off the top of my head, but what if grasp somehow modifies their attack speed, but not their DPS. IE they attack less often, but do more damage per attack? (sounds completely ridiculous but stranger things have happened).

yeah sample size is really small. i'll need more time to do something more thorough. but still, even with a high margin of error the numbers seem really out of whack. i'm guessing someone else has done a more rigorous test for this, just trying to lure them out.
bump
BTW if your doing additional testing I would suggest doing one sample without BM, but using the same attacks,

That way you have a baseline for incoming damage.
Blizz should really fix those elemental damages....

OP, you should try the Manajuma's Set - Surrounded by a poison cloud :)
I know for certain that this will proc bad medicine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOUtsybozjg
BTW if your doing additional testing I would suggest doing one sample without BM, but using the same attacks,

That way you have a baseline for incoming damage.

good call, need a control. again, when i get a little bit of time i'll try to do a more in depth test.

Blizz should really fix those elemental damages....

OP, you should try the Manajuma's Set - Surrounded by a poison cloud :)

unfortunately my build (not equipped) is dependent on having a string of skull for my zuni set. sure would be nice though. maybe when i hit the lottery i'll get a socketed mana's carving knife.
I know for certain that this will proc bad medicine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOUtsybozjg

what you did there...... i see it.
another random thought: does anyone know if bad medicine stacks with multiple WD's in a party?
11/14/2012 07:55 AMPosted by EindacorDS
another random thought: does anyone know if bad medicine stacks with multiple WD's in a party?

/BUMP

google has no answer for me too :(
Poison Dmg from Zuni boots won't proc bad medicine unless you are holding a black weapon and your skill dmg is decribed as deal XX% weapon dmg as physical. Cannot be other element like CoB, etc.

And of course, bears and plague bats proc bad medicine, but those are from the skill dmg.