Bug: Monk's Dashing Strike/Barbarian's Charge

Bug Report
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
They're probably fixing it by changing the skill. I assume it will allow you to dash to the mouse cursor in the future.
11/13/2012 12:25 PMPosted by MOOT
They're probably fixing it by changing the skill. I assume it will allow you to dash to the mouse cursor in the future.

That would be great if they choose that solution :-D
the problem is the same as rubberbanding. in this case the server and client disagree on where you are. the server says another position and the client resets to it. by that time the server thinks you are elsewhere and perpetually tries to refix your location. the client already 'fixed' you and you remain stuck. each time you move the server is like "no, i said here" 'ok, i reset there now i want to move' "no, go back to here first", infinite loop.

there are other variations of this that basically make you invulnerable and not stuck. you can't attack anything but sweeping wind stays up forever and you just run around aoeing them down. really annoying. least you don't die so i guess hc could exploit around it. haven't tried it in mp10 but in theory you could farm it with crap gear and pure mf and suffer no ill effects if you were just really patient.
Throwing in my bump to get this resolved. Very frustrating. 60(20) US Barbarian. Happened 2 games in a row, both with 5 stacks and searching the Fields of Misery for the Keymaster.

*Edit: Proof that it doesn't have to involve desecrator: http://i.imgur.com/oyVOU.jpg
Any updates?

This happens a little too often and it has, in my experience been on while facing elits. The affix on the elits aren't causing this. I've experienced it on many different affixed elits.
This happened to me every other run. I am sooo sick of diablo being almost out a year, and have such a bad bug that should not have passed the QA system in the first place.

Do you guys even run some kind of test suite before shipping software?
Any updates?

This happens a little too often and it has, in my experience been on while facing elits. The affix on the elits aren't causing this. I've experienced it on many different affixed elits.

No updates... they're working silently, too much silently... Would be good to have another response about what they intend to do about this issue.

As I have said in other posts it doesn't only happen when facing elites, facing trashmobs could make that bug happen.

By the way I would like to know something from Barbarians : Does Leap "unstuck" your character like Seven-Sided Strike does for Monks?
glad to hear your working on it... i just figured out this bug existed the hard way

http://www.imagebam.com/image/118d56220659937

heres a pic of my death in hc. no body.
I dashed into some mobs and just got stuck and rubber banded like crazy..

womp womp
I get this bug nearly every day. I use the Quicksilver Rune.

http://i.imgur.com/xIOw1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qFmZo.jpg

Very frustrating.

Thank you for looking into it.
11/02/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Vasadan
Thanks guys, we're working on it.

Thanks! This has begun happening so frequently to me and has been so frustrating that I decided to write a formal bug report in the hopes that it might help the developers arrive at a solution more quickly.

Video: http://youtu.be/4KIUCqv3khs

Summary: Using the skill "Furious Charge" occasionally causes the Barbarian character to become invincible, but stuck in place.

Priority: Game Blocker - in order to fix the bug on their own, the player must log out losing all valor stacks. This also resets act progress.

Frequency: High - This bug happens about once per night while playing single player Barbarian games and doesn't take long to repro.

Version: 1.05
Date: Nov 15th
Difficulty: Inferno MP4
Acts: All, including Whimsyshire
Character: Barbarian
Level: 60 Paragon 22
Server: Americas
Single Player Game
Follower: Enchantress
Link to consolidated bug reports: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006892777
Searching for "stuck" in the Blizzard Bug forums also reveals 233 pages reporting similar issues: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?f=post&forum=5386229&page=1&q=stuck

Repro:
1. Create Barbarian class in non-hardcore mode. Note: non-hardcore mode may be irrelevant.
2. Unlock "Furious Charge" skill. Complete skill and rune selection can be seen in the video.
3. Start Single-Player Game using Enchantress. Note: single-player game type may be unnecessary, but the bug has only been observed in single player games with the Enchantress follower. Complete follower abilities can be seen in the video.
4. Use Furious Charge ability while surrounded by more than 5 enemies. Note: presence of enemies may be unnecessary, but it has only been observed while surrounded by more than five enemies.
5. While using Furious Charge skill, also mash other skill buttons using keyboard shortcuts namely Revenge and Overpower. Note: the mashing of buttons may be unnecessary, but it has only been observed under that condition.
6. Observe that the following bugs are now present:
- Barbarian only appears to damage enemies while health is above 0, but seems sporadic.
- Barbarian no longer dies when health reaches 0.
- Barbarian can no longer move, only turn.
- Player cannot use cursor to pick up any item on the ground, even if it is within pickup range of the Barbarian.
- Player can no longer pick up any items.
- Player can no longer use Town Portal ability
7. Observe that the following correct game behavior continues:
- Enchantress continues to damage enemies and can eventually kill them.
- If the Barbarian has any health remaining when the bug starts, it will deplete accordingly as the Barbarian is struck by enemies or any of their abilities.
- Any health regen abilities on the Barbarian appear to continue to be in effect and if the Barbarian isn't being attacked, then health will regenerate as normal with green text ticks popping up every half-second as normal until health is back at full.
- The Collector's Edition "Angelic Wings" are still clickable from inventory and toggle on/off correctly on the Barbarian.

In-game solution:
1. Leave game; exiting Diablo 3 is unnecessary.
2. Resume game.
3. Observe that Barbarian movement and all other bug effects listed above are resolved.
4. Observe that all valor stacks, if any were previously obtained, are unfortunately now lost and the player has also lost the opportunity to pick up any loot that may have been locked due to the bug.

In-game solution to retain valor stacks:
1. Invite second real player of any class into the game and wait for them to join.
2. Leave game; exiting Diablo 3 is unnecessary.
3. Resume game while other player is still in it.
4. Observe that Barbarian movement and all other bug effects listed above are resolved, the player retains valor stacks and may now pick up loot that was unclickable.
5. Second player may leave the game and solo play with follower may resume.

Thank you for your efforts on resolving this bug. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Yes having someone joining your group is a solution but I hate asking strangers too.
I was thinking like you and I was about to abandon one of the most awesome skill when I realized that I can use a monk's parade a.k.a. Seven-Sided Strike.
So I tried but I wasn't convinced that replacing another skill would worth it, but I replaced Breath of Heaven and I think it was a good choice. It changes a little your gameplay but it's not so bad as I thought, especially when your are stuck and you can get unstuck without loosing your NV stacks and "only" die. Maybe you should try it? Cause it is also a skill with a lot of fun ^^

For the origin of the bug we are in the fuzziness. At first sight it seemed to be related to affixes like Desecration, but the bug has also happened when there were trashmobs...
Then people were starting to think that was happening, like you said, when you're about to die and the game doesn't know what to do with you cause you were using Dashing Strike at this time, but the issue has also happened when some were at more than 70% of their maximum life...
So these two theories doesn't seems to be valid, and it's hard identify what's causing the bug :-s

Already tried it, didn't like having to give up CS or sweeping wind. Need Serenity, mantra and power builder so I just replaced DS with SSS :(

It's a good skill and with good timing the small invulnerable window it gives you is awesome. Always gets my companion killed to which I find hilarious. I might switch from crippling wind to fists of thunder just to get the little TP out of it but we'll see how that goes...
Furious charge barb here, I get stuck when fighting elite packs as well. I counted at least 5 times stuck yesterday playing solo. That's a lot of time and loot lost. I had to remove the skill in order to play.
aaaand i'm stuck paused in HC almost dead with the dashing strike bug...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7179988207?page=1#3
Same thing happened to me with Witch doctor, i was stuck my health went to 0 and i used spirit walk to unstuck and instantly died. Problem is that i was playing on hardcore...
This seems to happen to me when using Monk skill Lashing Tail Kick Hand of Ytar. In act 2 and only started happening after I reached level 60 I guess that is self-explanatory since I am using hand of ytar rune. I have tried to update drivers and lower my video settings within the game and through my video card settings seem to help a little but not much. I also checked my internet speeds and they have not changed. I went back to my old spells and did not see the problem. I seems to happen more when against elite monsters.
Happened to me last night again. I am getting closer to being able to repro this on-demand. Basically all I need to do a few times to get it to happen is:
1. Hover mouse directly over your character
2. Use hotkey to activate revenge assuming it's up
3. Use hotkey to active overpower assuming it's up
4. Finally, without moving the mouse at all, so your mouse is still directly on top of your character, use the hotkey to activate Furious Charge
5. Observe that you will now have essentially asked the Barbarian to charge to nowhere and observe that the Barbarian is now stuck in this bug.

The programmer in my wants to say that it seems like it's some kind of mouse point input for the Furious Charge is receiving null for some reason and bugging the rest of the character after that point. Perhaps either the Revenge or Overpower abilities cause the current mouse point to get set to null briefly and then when Furious Charge looks for it for the Barbarian destination, it cannot be found. Thoughts?

I would very much like this fixed so I can keep playing the game with Furious Charge.
Happened to me last night again. I am getting closer to being able to repro this on-demand. Basically all I need to do a few times to get it to happen is:
1. Hover mouse directly over your character
2. Use hotkey to activate revenge assuming it's up
3. Use hotkey to active overpower assuming it's up
4. Finally, without moving the mouse at all, so your mouse is still directly on top of your character, use the hotkey to activate Furious Charge
5. Observe that you will now have essentially asked the Barbarian to charge to nowhere and observe that the Barbarian is now stuck in this bug.

The programmer in my wants to say that it seems like it's some kind of mouse point input for the Furious Charge is receiving null for some reason and bugging the rest of the character after that point. Perhaps either the Revenge or Overpower abilities cause the current mouse point to get set to null briefly and then when Furious Charge looks for it for the Barbarian destination, it cannot be found. Thoughts?

I would very much like this fixed so I can keep playing the game with Furious Charge.

This is very interesting, I've tried so much to reproduce this bug to find out what was causing it but never succeeded, and by reading your post I think that you may have found what is the problem.
Vasadan his post may be useful to those working on this issue.
i recently started monk on hardcore, and last night i had to call a friend to get on and make a party so i can relog and get the green item that dropped when i bugged, a few days ago 2 friends almost died trying to get orbs and keep me up in the midlle of arcane sentrys (we were on skype but they panicked and ignored my yelling it`s just a bug, ill live), not to mention i almost had a heart attack the first 5-6 times this happened. and as i am starting to do faster runs, more and more often this happends. so what happens when somehow it gets unstuck after my hp gets all the way down (im pretty sure its not a 100% bugged bug..er...whatever...:P) and the first mob that sneezes at me kills me? will i have to wait a week or so to have some1 reply wer`e sorry ur char wasn`t bugged at the time of death, so we cant restore it and therefore loose almost 50 paragon lvls and 200 mil worth of gear? cause at least on mp0 nothing short of a bug can kill me unless i fall asleep on the keyboard or something.
11/02/2012 04:03 PMPosted by Vasadan
Thanks guys, we're working on it.

O...M...G...!

Thanks, OP.

Great work in creating the compilation to show just how longstanding, widespread and up to now completely ignored this issue was.

Looking forward to actually being able to play some higher MP's as a reaction Barb.

(although I guess holding my breath would not be advisable)
I've had this bug happen to me many times. See it in every act, and against elites and non elites. Though more often against elites, however, I suspect this is because I am moving around a lot more.

I don't think it is related to dashing strike, as I have had that on my bar for months and never had a problem. It was only when I put Fist of Thunder with Thunderclap that I started experiencing this bug. Maybe it has to do with a combination of FoT(Thundercalp) and Dashing Strike.

I regularly play with another monk that runs higher dex (dodges more) and Dashing Strike but without FoT and has never had this issue.

I'd also like to see at least a /suicide or /stuck command introduced as a temporary fix, because it seems like this has been around for a while and we haven't gotten an ETA for it to be fixed.