killing myself on reflect damage

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 26 Next
I think reflect mobs should work the same way they do now, but just decrease the amount of returned damage by a significant amount. There is absolutely no reason I should 1 or even 2 shot kill myself for just trying to kill mobs.

The way it is now is just an annoyance. It makes it so you have to either have specific gear for the occasion or have one or two skills be mandatory so you don't kill yourself when fighting them.

Looking at your profile, it is clear you don't produce enough damage to even notice reflect like i do. Its no wonder why you don't feel the reflect. To elaborate further, "learn to play" doesn't' apply to me as i have many hours into the game already and i know how to play.

When you get up around 200-300k dps and you hit a reflect mob with what ever attack, i feel it. Even with 3-6% Life steal, and some LoH. Its even worse when i don't use whirl wind and i switch to Hammer of the Ancients and i see a 1 million crit. I don't think by me changing my build around so i have 1,000 Life on hit, and 9% Life steal will that help with reflect damage. I would still produce a 1 million crit and still take considerable damage from a monster with the reflect affix. For what ever reason, its more noticeable at a higher monster power due to the increased life and the increased damage out put from the monsters.

Looking at your profile, you have chosen to go without lifesteal on two slots. You could have 6% more and laugh at RD if you'd give up some DPS, but of course you'd rather whine on the forums. I'm sure it'll just cripple your kill speed to have to give up 20-30k of your 220k DPS for more lifesteal.

Your hours in game have evidently not taught you how to play.

So you just proved the point that many of us have made already. My equipment is very adequate for the battles with every monster type out there, except 1, reflect damage.

Am i to re-gear or have gear swaps just for 1 particular affix? I've seen many barbs ditch sprint now because of the reflect and go for Blood Lust on Rend skill. So there are ways to avoid taking that damage, i just think that something is wrong with reflect to have so many players discussing this openly in forums and in game. Am i supposed to be dropping my damage per second and not kill at a good pace just because of one affix? Seems like reflect needs to change some how or get lowered in the higher mp's.
11/02/2012 01:18 PMPosted by terenceloar
we'll be making it so that damage dealt by pets will no longer reflect back to the player.

Will this be true for the Hydra too?

CM already answered this.

"- Hydra and Sentry are technically "pets" (so to speak), so whenever we make the change to no longer allow pet damage to reflect back to the player, they'll be included too.
"
RD does seem like its stronger since the patch.. But alot of people are doing more dmg because of being able to find/afford better gear. My problem is to many packs spawn with RD.

I done a act 3 run earlier today and out of about 16 packs 2 spawned WITHOUT reflect dmg.

I have 115k dps... I switch to my 35k dps lifesteal, LoH crossbow for reflect mobs.... FAIL. I do what I do to beat reflect... As I have been trying to tell you. But you put your fingers in your ears and go "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!

"WAHHH!! Why cant I hit a reflect mob for bajillions of damage and not die???!?!?!?!? WHY?!?!!?"

Sorry, gotta call you out on this.

Blizzard does not like "Item Swap" for Magic Find so why would they agree to Item Swap for a weaker weapon with better life leeching just to beat Reflect?

You are finding an excuse to beat a poorly designed Affix. What they are proposing is to actually make Reflect interesting and exciting.

Riiiiiiiight. So now swapping out 300% crit damage for 1k loh, lifesteal and less damage = MF suit swapping. Wow you will argue any stupid point in a fail attempt cheese your way through the game.

First it was, "You only have 30k dps shut up."

Beat that stupid rebuttal so now you chime in with, "Swapping 1 weapon = swapping your entire suit to cheese the MF system." Just give up dude. Accept the fact that you are bad, get a reflect wep. Or cry. The choice is yours.
Couple of follow ups:

- Hydra and Sentry are technically "pets" (so to speak), so whenever we make the change to no longer allow pet damage to reflect back to the player, they'll be included too.

- If we do elect to move forward with having Reflects Damage be a duration-based affix, we'd also want to add a new visual for whenever RD is active.

Thank you so much for confirming.
Really? Yeah, you're dumb. Unless you can facetank mortars from 5 monsters, you absolutely have to stop shooting to dodge them. You are not worth my time.

I'm going to stop arguing with you idiots now, it'll get nerfed just like everything else has.

Bingo! You can DODGE them! And you can shoot away if you're outside or inside of the mortar range. Works magics in team games. Is it the same for RD?
Didn't think so.

Run away all you want, it's not like you have anything of value to say. It's only right that Blizzard will listen to logical reasoning and will improve the game accordingly.
I think reflect mobs should work the same way they do now, but just decrease the amount of returned damage by a significant amount. There is absolutely no reason I should 1 or even 2 shot kill myself for just trying to kill mobs.

The way it is now is just an annoyance. It makes it so you have to either have specific gear for the occasion or have one or two skills be mandatory so you don't kill yourself when fighting them.

How do you expect Blizzard to challenge glass cannon people that hide behind tanks? Please explain.

Drop your hundreds of crit dam for 1 freakin fight. Common guys its not that hard. You can wait till it becomes a toggle affix and cheese your way through it with your crit damage. Until then you are just crying.
RD does seem like its stronger since the patch.. But alot of people are doing more dmg because of being able to find/afford better gear. My problem is to many packs spawn with RD.

I done a act 3 run earlier today and out of about 16 packs 2 spawned WITHOUT reflect dmg.

This is true also, i wonder if the game isn't random, and selects packs to counter your build. I noticed that since i have lower fire resist, i see a lot of mortar and molten affix. I have high dps and usually the mobs are becoming reflect damage too. When i run with a party of high damage people, reflect shows up so much. But when i run with low damage party, reflect isn't as apparent at all. Its a clear distinction.
11/02/2012 01:18 PMPosted by terenceloar
Will this be true for the Hydra too?

It's already mentioned in the before notes. Yes.
Hex, you dont do enough damage to notice. Save your comments to issues you have some relevence to..

you are the weakess link...goodbye
Really? Yeah, you're dumb. Unless you can facetank mortars from 5 monsters, you absolutely have to stop shooting to dodge them. You are not worth my time.

I'm going to stop arguing with you idiots now, it'll get nerfed just like everything else has.

Bingo! You can DODGE them! And you can shoot away if you're outside or inside of the mortar range. Works magics in team games. Is it the same for RD?
Didn't think so.

Run away all you want, it's not like you have anything of value to say. It's only right that Blizzard will listen to logical reasoning and will improve the game accordingly.

How to prevent (dodge) reflect damage. Stop attacking and heal in many of the ways the game allows you to heal. (potions, prep - battle scars, healing orbs, health fountains, HP regen per sec)

I guess you want to get rid of boss enrage timers too then. Once they enrage you take unavoidable damage if you want to be close enough to hurt them.

If they simply reduce Reflect to an "almost no impact" level, then they might as well take out the whole Affix.

That's not the correct way to do it.

The correct way is to test your awareness/knowledge of the behavior of Elite just like all other Affixes.

I hope they are going to make it a strong Reflect but it comes up periodically just like Shield. You need to actually pay attention to it and then you HAVE A CHOICE! You can stop attacking, change target or simply fight through the pain. The current Reflect is ALWAYS there and it hurts you when you have better dps. An Affix should never punish you just because you deal more damage.
How do you expect Blizzard to challenge glass cannon people that hide behind tanks? Please explain.

Drop your hundreds of crit dam for 1 freakin fight. Common guys its not that hard. You can wait till it becomes a toggle affix and cheese your way through it with your crit damage. Until then you are just crying.

Why the f..k do I need to be challenged if I'm hiding behind a tank? He's a tank and I'm DPS and we work well together. What is wrong with that? Why does the tank should feel like he needs another tank help him out because RD shuts down damage dealers?

Also, how does Blizzard challenge that tank in front of me that sits there holding left mouse button down?

This is true also, i wonder if the game isn't random, and selects packs to counter your build. I noticed that since i have lower fire resist, i see a lot of mortar and molten affix. I have high dps and usually the mobs are becoming reflect damage too. When i run with a party of high damage people, reflect shows up so much. But when i run with low damage party, reflect isn't as apparent at all. Its a clear distinction.

Im pretty sure the game does do this. When I solo act 3 on my DH about 3/5 or 4/5 (depending on the day I guess) have reflect damage. My monk friend NEVER gets reflect damage mobs. But when I am in his games about 1/3rd to 1/2 of them are reflect (depending on the day or run I guess)

How to prevent (dodge) reflect damage. Stop attacking and heal in many of the ways the game allows you to heal. (potions, prep - battle scars, healing orbs, health fountains, HP regen per sec)

That means you are FORCED to take runes with healing. Not good and not fair to those that took Preparation for Backup Plan or Shadow Power for speed rune.

I don't agree people who take all 6 offensive powers and I do believe people do take one or even two healing because Reflect IS NOT THE ONLY damage you are taking. Elites are still beating you.

This is why the current Reflect is a bad design. It hurts build diversity, and forces people to use certain gear.

If they simply reduce Reflect to an "almost no impact" level, then they might as well take out the whole Affix.

That's not the correct way to do it.

The correct way is to test your awareness/knowledge of the behavior of Elite just like all other Affixes.

I hope they are going to make it a strong Reflect but it comes up periodically just like Shield. You need to actually pay attention to it and then you HAVE A CHOICE! You can stop attacking, change target or simply fight through the pain. The current Reflect is ALWAYS there and it hurts you when you have better dps. An Affix should never punish you just because you deal more damage.

Thats like saying "You shouldnt hurt your hand the harder you punch metal."

Reflect is MEANT to punish high dps people that are spamtards. Period, plain and simple.

Couple of follow ups:

- Hydra and Sentry are technically "pets" (so to speak), so whenever we make the change to no longer allow pet damage to reflect back to the player, they'll be included too.

- If we do elect to move forward with having Reflects Damage be a duration-based affix, we'd also want to add a new visual for whenever RD is active.

Good! There are a lot of directions you can go with it but I think I'd like a duration-based affix (like shielding is) over just nerfing it so that it doesn't hurt anybody. It SHOULD hurt...it shouldn't force you to spec your character specifically to beat the affix like it is now though.