DH Sentry Demolitions Guide (HARDCORE build)

Demon Hunter
Hello fellow Demon Hunters,

I'd like to share a build that I've discovered in Hardcore to be extremely effective. It is absolutely doable in Softcore as well, but I think it's special for HC because it has the potential to allow you to run up to mp1 and potentially higher very safely and with significantly cheaper gear than other demon hunter builds most people use in HC.

Demolitions Build
Video overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd0CzFmO-9w&feature=youtube

Primary attack: stun grenades
Secondary attack: spike trap (echoing blast)

Sentry - guardian shield
Companion - boar (for hc)
Smoke Screen - any rune
Preparation - 60% heal rune (for hc)

Passive 1 - custom engineering
Passive 2 - numbing traps
Passive 3 - Perfectionist (for hc)

Gear: As much attack speed and dex as you can stack, and around 1k life on hit. The life on hit requirement can be achieved with Dawn or a similar 1 handed weapon (doesn't even have to be a ranged weapon!), but it needs to be fast because you want your attacks per second around 2.5. No crit or crit damage gear is needed at all. Having resists above 500 and life above 50k are standard requirements for HC.

The basic premise is that with high attack speed your stun grenades will stun packs for a large portion of the fight, sometimes outright stunlocking them the whole time if their hitbox is big enough or the positioning allows you to hit them with all 3 grenades. Throw down 3 sentries asap as they do ridiculous damage, and spam spike trap on the stunned champs to use your hatred, which is also generated very rapidly due to your high ias. With around 1k loh you are very tanky and can pretty much facetank all but the nastiest packs. Numbing traps and the guardian shield keep you from taking too much spike damage from big hits, providing a combined 35% damage reduction. For packs you may not feel comfortable facetanking, you can preemptively set down and pull them into 3 sentries and 6 traps. In group play it's also nice since you are dishing out great DPS while providing free DR. Virtually no kiting is required.

You can see an example here on my profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mondo-1150/hero/28087217

Achieving 25k dps with only attack speed and dex gear means Sentry is taking nearly full advantage of your damage, and having 3 Sentries out that do 175% damage each will bring their total dps to around 130k.
nice one. My Budget DH build is also closely similar to yours.

http://humblegamers.blogspot.com/
Great build! I was leveling using echoing blast because of the ridiculous dps it does, same with sentry... now I'm 58 and was looking up if custom engineering was viable in inferno, and apparently it's quite viable. Thanks!
How about swapping to a 2 hand bow and go with archery for the extra dps ?
Nice build for lower end of the dps spectrum, i'ts a shame sentry doesn't scale with cc/cd
11/07/2012 12:46 AMPosted by Gomer

Also viable, but you'd have to work a little harder to get your attack speed high enough to stunlock since bows are typically 1.4 compared to 1H xbows being 1.6. For hardcore, I think a shield is best for this build since you are close to the mobs.
11/07/2012 04:08 AMPosted by Mondo

Also viable, but you'd have to work a little harder to get your attack speed high enough to stunlock since bows are typically 1.4 compared to 1H xbows being 1.6. For hardcore, I think a shield is best for this build since you are close to the mobs.
Not necessarily. I'm hovering around 2.1-2.2 APS and I have no problems stunlocking mobs with Bola Shot/Thunderball. In fact, ditch the Spike Trap and go Marked for Death/Grim Reaper. Tag the elite, Gloom and spam Bola Shot to stunlock and mass AOE. It's a fun new thing I've been doing :)

I still feel that Hungering Arrow/Devouring and Nether Tentacles are better but it's fun to change things around from time to time. I've been using the core of this build since PTR so it's been quite a while since I changed anything.
11/07/2012 05:47 AMPosted by speedforce

Not necessarily. I'm hovering around 2.1-2.2 APS and I have no problems stunlocking mobs with Bola Shot/Thunderball. In fact, ditch the Spike Trap and go Marked for Death/Grim Reaper. Tag the elite, Gloom and spam Bola Shot to stunlock and mass AOE. It's a fun new thing I've been doing :)

I still feel that Hungering Arrow/Devouring and Nether Tentacles are better but it's fun to change things around from time to time. I've been using the core of this build since PTR so it's been quite a while since I changed anything.

Bola shot thunderball only stuns the primary target doesn't it though? The thing about stun grenades is that you can stunlock the whole pack pretty easily. Spike trap with echoing blast does a LOT of damage, way more than having the extra bit from marked for death. Especially considering you can throw 6 down with the custom engineering passive, so I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Using gloom with this build would probably eat up your disc too fast as you have no crits to get it back with night stalker.

I do like bola shot a lot though post 1.05, I use it on my other dh with a more standard gloom build.
does the stun from grenades still stuns for 1.5 secs on inferno? or does it has DR?
wow, you have the similar build as me, i like your build too, will try the stun.

my recently play
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004017714
11/13/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Jeff
does the stun from grenades still stuns for 1.5 secs on inferno? or does it has DR?

It still stuns for 1.5 seconds at least on the first cast for champs and all the time for non elites. It probably suffers from diminishing returns so after a few casts maybe it's only stunning for 1 sec on champs, it's hard to tell. Generally you can keep champs stunlocked for ~75% of the fight if they are clumped up right(see video), which is more than enough. It makes bosses pretty trivial, for example sometimes when killing Diablo I can keep him from spawning any clones after the first phase due to being stunlocked.
wow, you have the similar build as me, i like your build too, will try the stun.

my recently play

looks pretty cool! I had thought about using shuriken cloud but had read the proc coefficient was only 0.125 and the dmg seemed a bit low.... does it give enough loh procs for you?

my recently play

looks pretty cool! I had thought about using shuriken cloud but had read the proc coefficient was only 0.125 and the dmg seemed a bit low.... does it give enough loh procs for you?

I like it provide some additional healing when i m freezed.
Im digging the new echoing blast myself.
Got lucky and snagged a cheap SOJ ring with 11% spike trap dmg and 6% poison dmg bonus.

That with the other 11% spike trap bonus on my embrace, and the combined elite bonuses make it a serious damage dealer.
Bumping to find this thread later.
I don't think echoing blast is the type of skill to use in HC? :/

it does ridiculous damage only if targets stand still and well... there's only 1 way to force them to stand still and it's such an HC-unfriendly way lol
EDIT: nvm, know the answer.

Just curious, by why smoke screen over vault?
I don't think echoing blast is the type of skill to use in HC? :/

it does ridiculous damage only if targets stand still and well... there's only 1 way to force them to stand still and it's such an HC-unfriendly way lol

It works well with this build because with stun grenades they are stunned for quite a few seconds in one place, allowing you to get several echoing blast traps on them. Also, for most packs since you have such high loh you can pretty much facetank them and therefore put the traps right in front of you. As I said before for harder packs being able to preemptively set 6 of these and then pull the mobs into them will do some serious damage as well.
Hey Mondo!

Id like to thank you for providing this build along with the youtube video. After seeing your post I planned to use it since i started my DH on HC. When I got to inferno I beat the game without too much trouble. Feels good. Im currently farming cash on MP1 act 1 inferno.

Anyhow, whats the next challenge? What did you go for when you beat the game? Just farming cash tends to get a bit boring in the long run, and going for infernal machine on HC seems a bit .. too much risk for a smaller reward.

I mean, the demon hunter is supposed to be the hardest class to beat HC I guess?

Cheers from Sweden
i've use this build and find my DH ehp is 3.5m :D

not seen in my profile now cause changing to dps gear..

but my comment on you is GREAT JOB to stay alive until para 40+

not an easy job.. keep on bro! :D