Echoing Fury sold for 7,500 euros

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 16 Next
7 str short of the perfect?
Eww, brimstone that !@#$.

But on a serious note, I don't give a %^-* if someone buy that for 12k$.
They can buy a full suit for all their character for a million $ if they feel like it, I don't care, and neither should you.

11/30/2012 02:11 PMPosted by acrimonious
Pay to win. Going to be difficult to find much fun in competing against players with a lot more disposable income than the rest of us.

You won't compete against them. It's an Elo system.
If they are much better than you, they'll raise up the ranking while you stay down, so you'll never fight them again. You'll fight against people who have a ( gear x skill ) similar to yours.

That being said, I really really really reallllllllllllllllllly hope someone buy a suit for like $100k and then Blizzard release PVP items that are all BiS over that $100k suit, rendering them obsolete for PVP, and also significantly reducing their worth ( due to people wanting items for PVP ).
Its amazing how much ppl are willing to spend on there char, i wonder if the barb can actually be in top 10 for DPS, with a wep like that could be possible

11/30/2012 11:00 PMPosted by blood
That being said, I really really really reallllllllllllllllllly hope someone buy a suit for like $100k and then Blizzard release PVP items that are all BiS over that $100k suit, rendering them obsolete for PVP, and also significantly reducing their worth ( due to people wanting items for PVP ).

Diablo3 Open Q&A Panel at BlizzCon 2010:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZcJbpnhtfU

@ 11:25 Jay Wilson clearly states the following:
"Um, we're not gonna have PvP gear. Um, PvP is not..." and he get's interrupted by clapping, to which he then says:
"Thank you very much, we appreciate your support!"
Isnt the personal gold cap like 3b?

How do people get payed more than that then, tons of radiant star gems?

There is no personal gold cap...

Topic really confuses me. Not sure how this relates to pay to win at all. These items are overpriced like hell due to getting perfect rolls while giving minimal improvements compared to items that are a fraction of their cost. The trade wasn't even done using the RMAH so uh.... what's your point.

"Um, we're not gonna have PvP gear. Um, PvP is not..." and he get's interrupted by clapping, to which he then says:

lol.. are you trolling?
2010?
You do realise that he twitted like 6 hours ago or wtv that "'no specific PVP gear, only gear good for PVP depending on your build'"
?

Completely disregarding the first part of the sentence, I call what he describe in the 2nd part 'PVP gear'.
To me, he might as well have said 'There will be no PVP gear, just PVP gear'.
that's pretty sad

They can buy a full suit for all their character for a million $ if they feel like it, I don't care, and neither should you.

Pay to win. Going to be difficult to find much fun in competing against players with a lot more disposable income than the rest of us.

If they are much better than you, they'll raise up the ranking while you stay down, so you'll never fight them again. You'll fight against people who have a ( gear x skill ) similar to yours.

In theory yes this works.. but..

There isn't enough people playing D3 for this system to work. You either have a bunch of people on the top end with similar gear, or a few people on the lower end who can't make ends meet.

Combine that with not everybody wanting to do PvP, and a system that does not encourage people to come back in any way shape or form, your left with a system that doesn't work.

What your going to have (as many have predicted), people sitting in a cue for hours on end waiting for an opponent. Completely useless and discouraging.

People seem to be under the false assumption that a ton of people still play this game. Completely disregarding the amount of bots that make up the total numbers; how many people are still pissed off about the lack of class balance and the skill system..

How many in the end are really going to plunk themselves in the cue outside of those that grind on a regular basis for items trying to get some sort of advantage over some random opponent.

All one really has to do is look back in the threads and take note about how many people are complaining about the class balance, useless skills, and if players are actually going to be using the gear they're finding, to see what type of ratio for those who are in favor it.

Just a wee hint.. not many are in favor of it.

In theory yes this works.. but..

There isn't enough people playing D3 for this system to work. You either have a bunch of people on the top end with similar gear, or a few people on the lower end who can't make ends meet.

Combine that with not everybody wanting to do PvP, and a system that does not encourage people to come back in any way shape or form, your left with a system that doesn't work.

What your going to have (as many have predicted), people sitting in a cue for hours on end waiting for an opponent. Completely useless and discouraging.

People seem to be under the false assumption that a ton of people still play this game. Completely disregarding the amount of bots that make up the total numbers; how many people are still pissed off about the lack of class balance and the skill system..

How many in the end are really going to plunk themselves in the cue outside of those that grind on a regular basis for items trying to get some sort of advantage over some random opponent.

All one really has to do is look back in the threads and take note about how many people are complaining about the class balance, useless skills, and if players are actually going to be using the gear they're finding, to see what type of ratio for those who are in favor it.

Just a wee hint.. not many are in favor of it.

You are very wrong, it's quite the opposite if you are in favor of specific PvP gear rendering PvE gears obsolete. And please, back up your information by sources. How do you know that there isn't enough people playing D3 for that system to work?
"People think that paying "real money" in a video game is a huge leap from paying in gold or from grinding for an item. What people don't realize is that currencies are only a numerical representation of value. As soon as there is a collective demand for goods, both virtual and "real," value is created. Humans developed currencies to represent this value in a tangible way, and to make the exchange of these goods more liquid.

When there is collective demand from real people for an item within a game market, the same value is created as anything else in the world, and you can put a number on it. That number can be different depending on the currency you are using to represent the value. You need a lot more Yen than Euros to represent the same value. The same goes for gold.

Gold is like a foreign currency. It represents value, but only within the specific game world. You can't use gold to buy things in stores in the US, just like you can't use Yen to buy things in those stores. If, however, you can convert that currency to a usable one, it has an "exchange rate." Gold has an exchange rate exactly like a foreign currency has. (Except gold is more easily exchanged than 90% of the currencies in the world) This is why botting should not only be against the rules, it should be illegal. (Korea kinda gets it)

So items are just exchanged at the value that demand sets. Regardless of whether it is in gold or real money. Or even in bartering. People demand, the market supplies.

It will get long, but bear with me.

The concept of "pay to win."

You always pay to win. I just explained how gold and USD are very much the same within a game economy, but there is something even less tangible that is also the same: time. Time is the most valuable currency there is. There is an exchange rate for time to money, but there is no exchange rate back.

Gamers who play within economies create the value of the currency (gold) when they take time to accumulate that currency, and the rarity of an item contributes to the item's value equal to the amount of time a person would have to play to statistically obtain it. This is very similar to any currency and wage labor. (I would love to hear Marx's thoughts on Diablo gold) This is time being converted into a currency. (THIS IS REALLY WHY BOTTING SHOULD BE ILLEGAL Through dilution, bots destroy real value that gamers create by playing.)

You always pay to win because you either pay in time or in a currency. Some people are rich in time, and some people are rich in currency. And anyone who spends more time will also have the skills to back it up. Plus, why not let people with a lot of money give your game time real-world value?

The only problem with Diablo in this regard IMO is that gear is possibly too much of a factor in terms of your heroes ability. Not that it shouldn't be significant, but it should be balanced with skill. This is a difficult balance for a dev team.

With this balance, paying money for the gear is the equivalent of purchasing nice golf clubs, or high tech running/climbing/basketball shoes. It's purchasing gear that gives you an edge on the competition in the game that you play. A thousand dollars for a good set of golf clubs gives you the ability to play the game of golf better than someone of equal skill playing with a $10 garage sale set. It doesn't automatically make you good, but it helps you get there. And if you love that game, then by all means play your best."

(c) some guy at reddit

One of the best post I read on this forum
@ OP, you gotta stop trying to compete so hard in a virtual game..you should be focusing your attention on competing to get top marks in your school lawl. what do you gain from being a "top player" in a game? A greater ego and pride? I think it would be more satisfying to accomplish something more important in REAL life..

GG to the guy who bought that item...he must be so proud of himself.
Honestly, I find this rather disturbing and depressing. I hope you're proud of yourselves, Wilson & Company. Taking the "game" out of games.
It bugs me because it cheapens the experience of grinding in the first place. That is, assuming, if PVP allows us to use our own gear. Otherwise, the grind is pointless and in effect, the game has no real end game.

Many games do not have "end-games". Nothing becomes cheapened, except your own perception of things.

lol.. are you trolling?
2010?
You do realise that he twitted like 6 hours ago or wtv that "'no specific PVP gear, only gear good for PVP depending on your build'"
?

Completely disregarding the first part of the sentence, I call what he describe in the 2nd part 'PVP gear'.
To me, he might as well have said 'There will be no PVP gear, just PVP gear'.

I came to this thread 1st, didn't realize he released that today.

Sounds like he confirmed exactly what i said. There isn't specific gear just for pvp. I was completely right dumbass.

Gear that's good for pvp, isn't 'pvp gear'. People were upset because if they had 'pvp gear' it would be required to be the best at pvp. Making all thier efforts for the last 6 months pointless for pvp. So you can't ignore the 1st part of the sentance because gear that's good for pvp isn't 'pvp gear', according to your logic everyone is using pvp gear already lol. Please dont make me go into further detail how idiotic your post was.
True, there may be no "PvP gear" in the traditional sense (like WoW has), however, if they made some minor changes, most gear would be "useless" for PvP. For instance, if crits were not allowed in PvP, suddenly crit % and crit damage% becomes "useless".

So think about that for a moment.

Delicious whine. The amount of people who spend their lives being angry, envious and jealous of everyone around them is incredible.

P.S You don't need that Echoing Fury to progress in the game, or as you simpletons like to put it "Pay to Win". A !@#$ty echoing fury can help you win
True, there may be no "PvP gear" in the traditional sense (like WoW has), however, if they made some minor changes, most gear would be "useless" for PvP. For instance, if crits were not allowed in PvP, suddenly crit % and crit damage% becomes "useless".

So think about that for a moment.

That's true. Some gear wouldn't be as effective as it is now. But the gear would still exchangeable between pvp and pve.

But if you remove the 1st sentance Jay said, all that left is: we will have gear good for pvp depending on your build.

So....
We won't be fighting naked, gear will be used, some is good for builds and some isn't.
Wake up! It sold for game gold not 12,000. To convert game gold to a money amount and then say that the item sold for the money amount is lame. So some guy that botts and has a lot of gold bought it.

A normal human being would then sell all that gold on the RMAH for real money. And who is talking about bots?

You do realize that there are many people out there, spending $12000 is like spending $12 bucks.