10 to 1 armor ratio is Stupid

General Discussion
It's simple really, you can either spend hundreds of millions like I pointed out in my demonstration stubbornly getting AR on every piece of gear by some weird quota that no longer exists in the game (pre inferno nerf) unless you are farming Mp10 RIGHT NOW. Or you can save hundreds of millions and get armor + vit on that gear and essentially get the same EHP.

Your choice. I have 385k EHP, 60% CC and 2.85 aps all to run my build optimally all on gear costing me a hella lot less than others with the same EHP values cuz of their low armor / hps.

The word for what you are doing is called "reification." Hint: it isn't a good thing.

EHP is a tool, nothing more and nothing less. There is a big qualitative difference in substituting Vitality for AR or armor when actually playing the game.
1 res is worth 10 armor. If you can get res easier than armor then get res. Someone mistakenly thought your armor and res totals should be 1:10.
11/28/2012 04:25 PMPosted by Borderline
when ppl say 10 to 1, it doesn't mean intentionally gimp yourself on AR and armor just so that its close to 10 to 1. it means... if you have a choice between something like 50 AR and 300 armor, you can make the decision based on how much AR and armor you currently have and calculating which one gives you more dmg mitigation.

So when people say 10 to 1, it means something that has absolutely nothing to do with a 10 to 1 ratio? Instead people should individually compare pieces to see what gives the best mitigation, regardless of what that gives them for an armor:resists ratio? Just like what the OP said?
Master Jay, are you still advocating intentionally getting strength on items? If it's there, yay, and I consider it in my mitigation. But even INSANELY imbalanced 100 strength is only 150 int in terms of mitigation. And for an int class it's 0 int in terms of damage... 100 strength is equal to 15 allres in the extremes of reasonable cases... Anything over 100 strength is getting into barb gear territory, and thus more expensive...

I am never ever ever going to put strength in the search in the AH for my WD, that's just ridiculous.

As I said, get the parts you need, buy decent AR if you can afford it, on pieces you can't, compare item by item.

Like I said in the opening post, it always comes down to comparing items on a case by case basis.

No one high end is at 10:1 ratio, I'm not talking about getting 10:1 ratio here - I am just saying the closer you are the better. It's not that realistic to get 10:1 ratio with high end gearing. You'd have to have like 7k armor and 700 AR unbuffed, that's just not feasible.

I am talking about the ones that blindly just get AR and completely ignore armor. That is stupid, not the 10:1 thing. Then they complain 'oh man I got 3.5k armor but 900 AR, derp derp - armor is dumb, 10:1 dumb herrr'' Yah I have 3k intel and 100 STR'. when they could have done it a lot smarter.

They're doing what's easy then complaining about it and that my friend is stupid as trying to maintain 10:1 perfectly.

i guess my char has done the impossible then, because i have 700+ resists and 7k armor unbuffed... kept an easy 10:1 ratio without buying any +armor pieces. also, your own ehp is only 385k...

No one high end is at 10:1 ratio, I'm not talking about getting 10:1 ratio here - I am just saying the closer you are the better. It's not that realistic to get 10:1 ratio with high end gearing. You'd have to have like 7k armor and 700 AR unbuffed, that's just not feasible.

I am talking about the ones that blindly just get AR and completely ignore armor. That is stupid, not the 10:1 thing. Then they complain 'oh man I got 3.5k armor but 900 AR, derp derp - armor is dumb, 10:1 dumb herrr'' Yah I have 3k intel and 100 STR'. when they could have done it a lot smarter.

They're doing what's easy then complaining about it and that my friend is stupid as trying to maintain 10:1 perfectly.

i guess my char has done the impossible then, because i have 700+ resists and 7k armor unbuffed... kept an easy 10:1 ratio without buying any +armor pieces. also, your own ehp is only 385k...

1) You're a barb, mitigations and EHP come to you by design
2) Not discounting the fact that you've done well
3) I have never spent more than 100M on any piece of gear, I now have 400k just needs to update (gained 65 vit). For my build and what I have to prioritize I'd say I did pretty damn well, infact I know I did better than most of the same build/class that spent twice as much as me and it's because they've ignored armor and have no strength / dex while massing INT/AR and gaining less effective overall EHP.

My point is sure piece for piece 75 AR > 300 armor, but when you keep adding that 75 AR, no armor. 75 AR no armor. INT for more AR, no str, INT for more AR, no dex it ends up gimping you on EHP in the end to what you could have balanced close to 10:1 with LESS income spent and more EHP gained as a total. If you keep going 75 AR with no armor you hit severe diminishing returns to where armor takes over as just better so something like 150+ armor / 45 AR would be superior.

That's is just a fact.
Master Jay, are you still advocating intentionally getting strength on items? If it's there, yay, and I consider it in my mitigation. But even INSANELY imbalanced 100 strength is only 150 int in terms of mitigation. And for an int class it's 0 int in terms of damage... 100 strength is equal to 15 allres in the extremes of reasonable cases... Anything over 100 strength is getting into barb gear territory, and thus more expensive...

I am never ever ever going to put strength in the search in the AH for my WD, that's just ridiculous.

As I said, get the parts you need, buy decent AR if you can afford it, on pieces you can't, compare item by item.

Like I said in the opening post, it always comes down to comparing items on a case by case basis.

Nope sorry dude I almost never compare case by case for mitigations, I look at my total overall stats from pieces and budget from there. Take this positive aspect from this piece and cover up it's negative with another piece. Forward thinking man, not just 'OH it's not all green, not upgrade can't get'. That's why I say blindly upgrade and that's why most pay tens of hundreds of millions more for the same effect I can get by compromising a pieces stat while adding in something else positive and doing the opposite on the other piece so that it all comes out as a benefit in the total gearing.

I haven't looked for STR in a long time besides on my source because Blackthorne's and mara's now sets me up with that, i'm good - I'd rather have single resists, vita or something. Once I get A good tasker's and theo's I'll absolutely have enough str..plus they're highest armor gloves in the game. Vile wards just make sense to STR stack, most of them roll STR and you can get it cheap in combination with a good amount of main stat. Start adding some vitality and it gets expensive. So what did I do now? Got both. 150 STR + 65 vit + 40 more INT. Same goes for witching hour. You are not paying anything extra for this STR, you are staying away from barb territory. #WINNING

Once I get Apoc Chantodo's source my STR drops (armor) from my source but then by that time my armor will raise cuz I'll have a Mempo hat. Plan plan plan, save save save. It's not to hard.

Nope sorry dude I almost never compare case by case for mitigations, I look at my total overall stats from pieces and budget from there. Take this positive aspect from this piece and cover up it's negative with another piece. Forward thinking man, not just 'OH it's not all green, not upgrade can't get'. That's why I say blindly upgrade and that's why most pay tens of hundreds of millions more for the same effect I can get by compromising a pieces stat while adding in something else positive and doing the opposite on the other piece so that it all comes out as a benefit in the total gearing.

I haven't looked for STR in a long time besides on my source because Blackthorne's and mara's now sets me up with that, i'm good - I'd rather have single resists, vita or something. Once I get A good tasker's and theo's I'll absolutely have enough str..plus they're highest armor gloves in the game. Vile wards just make sense to STR stack, most of them roll STR and you can get it cheap in combination with a good amount of main stat. Start adding some vitality and it gets expensive. So what did I do now? Got both. 150 STR + 65 vit + 40 more INT. #WINNING

Once I get Apoc Chantodo's source my STR drops (armor) from my source but then by that time my armor will raise cuz I'll have a Mempo hat. Plan plan plan, save save save. It's not to hard.

I only read your first post, but you got a pretty big mouth for someone with so little EHP.
Not sure where you're spending the money from those 40k elite kills.
I only read your first post, but you got a pretty big mouth for someone with so little EHP.
Not sure where you're spending the money from those 40k elite kills.

Spending it on making my build work Mr. archon. Roll with my build for a day and find out where the money goes :) I make a 185K archon so I've done my part reversing the roles and I'd stack vit all day too in archon form and your safe little energy armor and hold mouse button down and all, but that's not my style - sorry. Elite kills? Weak argument only used by rookie toons created in the last month or so. Sorry I been around the block killing elites when they were meaningless to kill and dropped non-stop garb in 1.01-1.03. I apologize for my old schoolness.

But if you have a problem reading my top 5 it comes out to:

60% CC
2.85 APS
5.2k armor
650 AR (3 singles, 720 cold)

all unbuffed, I repeat unbuffed since your profile pretty much has no sense of the meaning.

Go find out how much those stats cost in the wizard forum then you'll know where some of it went if you're that curious.

1) You're a barb, mitigations and EHP come to you by design
2) Not discounting the fact that you've done well
3) I have never spent more than 100M on any piece of gear, I now have 400k just needs to update (gained 65 vit). For my build and what I have to prioritize I'd say I did pretty damn well, infact I know I did better than most of the same build/class that spent twice as much as me and it's because they've ignored armor and have no strength / dex while massing INT/AR and gaining less effective overall EHP.

My point is sure piece for piece 75 AR > 300 armor, but when you keep adding that 75 AR, no armor. 75 AR no armor. INT for more AR, no str, INT for more AR, no dex it ends up gimping you on EHP in the end to what you could have balanced close to 10:1 with LESS income spent and more EHP gained as a total. If you keep going 75 AR with no armor you hit severe diminishing returns to where armor takes over as just better so something like 150+ armor / 45 AR would be superior.

That's is just a fact.

I like how you finish with "That's just a fact." Did you read the opening post? I PROVED that with 3573 armor and 700 allres (pretty **** imbalanced) that armor is STILL only 1.5* as good. So no, dropping 30 AR for 150 armor will NEVER EVER be better than just keeping the AR. At about 3k armor (almost base armor for reasonable iLvl gear) you would need to have about 950 AR for armor to be TWICE as good, at which point your statement is STILL not true, it's just equal. I've tried your method, and you know what? 40 AR is pretty much ALWAYS cheaper than 200 armor on a piece anyway. As for grabbing more int for AR? People don't do that, no one does. You get int for damage for main stat. Dex is tempting, because up to 500 dex you get **** tons of dodge from that, but then you remember that dodge doesn't work on arcane, molten, desecrator, plagued, RD mallet lords (pretty much any **** thing in the game that's actually scary) and you say **** dex and **** dodge.