D3 Linux Locked Account

Technical Support
Not sure why this happened but yesterday I switched from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu 12.10) and upon first login I received a message that my login parameters were different Blizzard requires a unlock of my account. Blue can you check with Devs and see why my account was flagged in this regard? Is it due to PlayonLinux, or Wine? I would hate to get my account flagged for doing something wrong when all I did was switch operating systems. Since you adamantly decree you are not banning legit players for using Linux I find it weird my account received this message on first login.

I do login from work to check the forums and such but the game is done from home.
I think you just triggered the safety thingamajigger. Did you try updating your password to refresh the account?

It may have locked it automatically because it thinks another pc is trying to access your account, it's unfortunate but a required measure.
According to Blizzard (i read this somewhere) running the game on a linux box is not supported and it is considered as using a third party program; so you might be banned
I know several people that play fine using Wine on linux, no bans ever. However, linux is a popular platform for using 3rd party cheat software in D3. It just works better and Blizzard will ban if they detect that cheating is going on.
Well that's the thing im moving away from Windows as Linux is free and frankly when configured properly runs better then a Windows OS does. I understand the fear of botting, however since Blizzard has addressed the Linux banning issue, I want to be sure I have not been flagged based off just installing the OS which is all I have done at this point.

I have always said the day Linux can do everything i personally need it to I would dump Windows. As of a few days ago for me it does this.
Valinor,

I'm not seeing anything in your account info indicating any sort of restriction at all. If the system had detected anything unusual in your logon pattern, it would have temporarily locked the account and sent you a password reset email with instructions and I'm not seeing any indication of that happening.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using Linux to play but as we've said many, many times, we do not support its use. That simply means we can't offer any help if you encounter problems. We do not ban people for using Linux. This does not mean people using Linux are immune to being detected using cheats and hacks in our games and if that happens, they'll be subject to the same account restrictions and closures any other user would be subject to as well, regardless of the operating system.
Valinor,

I'm not seeing anything in your account info indicating any sort of restriction at all. If the system had detected anything unusual in your logon pattern, it would have temporarily locked the account and sent you a password reset email with instructions and I'm not seeing any indication of that happening.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using Linux to play but as we've said many, many times, we do not support its use. That simply means we can't offer any help if you encounter problems. We do not ban people for using Linux. This does not mean people using Linux are immune to being detected using cheats and hacks in our games and if that happens, they'll be subject to the same account restrictions and closures any other user would be subject to as well, regardless of the operating system.

Thank you for the response and clarification, while the system did not send me an email in game it did give me the option to answer my security question now, or have an email sent. I am sure you can understand after spending 100 dollars on a collectors edition, no matter the state or my opinion of the game, I would not want my investment lost had there been a false positive.

I am not sure why the cheats and hacks subject keeps coming up with every post here even with yours Blue, as i have stated before numerous times I do not use cheats or hacks to play as you can see I am only Paragon 19, 2 days ago was my first time logging in for a week, and I have friends who swap drops with me so that each of our characters can be geared up together.

Is the cheats on Linux thing a common case of the few giving the many a bad name? I am just curious here as there seems to be a pattern emerging here.
You misunderstand what the Blue was trying to say. He was not talking about YOU being invoked in hacks/cheats. What he is referring to is a very persistent rumor that using Linux will get you banned. He is making sure to verify that using Linux alone will not cause issues. Others will read this thread and need to see that information. This is especially important given the title of your post which could lead people to think there is a relationship between that OS and bans/locks.