Is D3 a good game?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
The issue with people here, is that when diablo 2 came out, people hissed and screeched at it for going to far from the original diablo, and then came to like it over time.
Now diablo 2 is the NEW standard and people are mad that diablo 3 isn't close enough to the original.
Sorry to say, but if it was close to d2 as people want it to be, it would just be like a COD remake, same game, new paint job.
Diablo 3 IS a NEW GAME. Plain and simple. Accept it, and stop living in the past.
This game is a great successor, and in time will be greater than d2 ever could be.
i'm honored you quoted me.

i still stand by my statement. them keeping fans in the dark really doesn't help with matters. i think they know pvp is going to fail. i'm hoping we can atleast get experience for pvping.

they probably scrapped most of the features to add for an expansion. they're basically milking the rmah. if the game recieved...

true random maps
better itemization
perma skip cutscenes
glare or something to let us know cooldowns are up
build diversity
lobby
clans
personal games
socket quest
crafting quest
accessible ah in game

i could go on and on. if the game were named something else it might have been ok. as of right now it doesn't deserve to be called diablo.
Diablo 3 IS a NEW GAME. Plain and simple. Accept it, and stop living in the past.
This game is a great successor, and in time will be greater than d2 ever could be.

Only idiots will believe that Diablo 3 is a new game. Diablo 3 is a sequel for Diablo series.

Using the title Diablo for a game entails that this game should be at least half as good as earlier diablo games. Diablo 3 still failed to achieve that.
12/08/2012 07:07 PMPosted by ShadowAegis

Hellgate: London was essentially ex-Blizzard North's attempt to make Diablo 3 without Blizzard, and it was terrible.

I do not think so, the ones that failed the game was Flagship Studios. The game was a good game and it is back here in the States as you should already know.

Um... Flagship Studios = ex-Blizzard North. Or didn't you know? After the company sank (ha!), the game was bought and substantially improved by a Korean developer before being rereleased, but make no mistake, Hellgate: London under Flagship was a failure of epic proportions.

The short version is that Blizzard North's original plan was to make Diablo 3 an MMO, but that conflicted with Blizzard HQ because they were hard at work on World of WarCraft, so Blizzard North was asked to make some changes. Rather than complying, they sent a letter to the president of Vivendi and said, "Either give us more say in the overall direction of the company, or we'll resign." The president of Vivendi shrewdly called their bluff and said, "In that case, I accept your resignations."

Basically, they talked themselves out of a job. They then went on to create Hellgate: London, which was a terrible game by all accounts, and none of the former heads of Blizzard North have really done anything notable since with the exception of the Schaefer Bros. who were lucky enough to hitch their wagon to Travis Baldree at Runic.

Shrewdly called their bluff? Mm, ditching people who made by far the most loved ARPG in the world, defs "shrewd". Might want to look up the definition of the word.

We're all well aware of why Hellgate: London failed. That's another thing you might want to lock up.

It was a shrewd move because the heads of Blizzard North had clearly gotten too big for their britches, and considering that Blizzard has been stupendously successful without them, no harm done, right?

And I know exactly why Hellgate: London failed. I was there from the very beginning to the bitter/hilarious (depending on your perspective) end. It became painfully clear that the ex-Blizzard North crew didn't have a clue how to manage a company or competently design a game without Blizzard's oversight. For instance, game design meetings were frequently interrupted by the bosses flipping through luxury catalogs and bragging about all the stuff they were going to buy with the millions they were sure to earn from Hellgate: London. They also spent untold millions on extravagant marketing gimmicks like a fleet of custom painted Hummers, a massive replica of a castle that they hauled around to trade shows, and full-size statues of monsters and character classes instead of pouring that money into game design.

The results were fairly predictable in hindsight, Hellgate: London was a mess when it was released with a very poorly optimized graphics engine that chugged even on bleeding edge computers, glitches and bugs were so common they were practically features, there were several obvious instances of unfinished content appearing in the final game (for instance, your character sheet had a place for faction reputation which didn't do a blasted thing in the game because that feature had been pulled at the last minute, but the stat remained as well as a notice helpfully informing that your reputation with a particular faction had increased), and the overall game design and gameplay concepts were just generally poor. Oh, and Bill Roper's attempts at PR didn't help matters any when he effectively told the many disgruntled customers that they were idiots for not liking his game.

Being on the "inside", as it were, and watching the train wreck happen up close and personal was exceedingly satisfying.
Good game, it's still not diablo

Only idiots will believe that Diablo 3 is a new game. Diablo 3 is a sequel for Diablo series.

Using the title Diablo for a game entails that this game should be at least half as good as earlier diablo games. Diablo 3 still failed to achieve that.

So having a different opinion = idiot ... well I'm sorry to tell you that my opinion differs from yours. Diablo 3 is much better than D1 and D2. They made a different game, because if you want an exact clone of D2, you should just go play D2.

It's obvious they still need to iron a few things, but overall it's still better than D2.