6 figure damage, no decimals needed

Wizard
So! How does one get those ultra high damage stats? I've been using the AH (but not RMAH yet) and still don't see progress above 30-40k damage. Sure would appreciate advice on best weapon/combos to dramatically increase damage. I use archon, find success with meteors too. Build has been VERY random, just using what I can find/afford, after making some blunders in the AH at first. Thanks to this group!
Easiest way to get massive budget DPS is to go for a non-lifesteal weapon. Honestly, lifesteal is SO overrated right now, especially with PvP around the corner. Of course, lifesteal is best-in-slot attribute for archon weapon, but its just not worth the sacrifice in DPS in my opinion.

Grab a double crit weapon possibly with intelligence and find an ammy with 2000 life on kill. Bliz already mentioned they are changing how life-on-kill works in group play with next big patch, so grab them while they are cheap.Then use blood magic when you do your runs.

With 400K buffed DPS, 2000+ life on kill, and 1.5% lifesteal from blood magic I have no problem with farming fast with good survivability up to MP5/MP6 if I really want to push it for fun. With the exception of the insane reflect damage elites, for which I sometimes have to switch to my 6% skorn to finish them off.

You can use the weapon and ammy in my profile as a guide if u want to go that route.
Thanks this is great info!
i dont know ur budget but some cheap gear for dps, get:
1. helm with 250+ int with 4+% cc or 200+int with 6% cc, etc
2. shoulders with 250+ int
3. tr chest with 130+ int n use int gems
4. gloves with 120+ int, 7+% ias, 35+% cd
5. tr ammy with dmg + high int
6. inna's pants with 50+ int
7. int witching hour
8. int lacuni
9. zuni boots with 170+ int
10. get high dps black weapon(1000-1100+ with 1.35+ ias) with os, or base cd + int
11. trium with ~80-350dmg, 200+ int
12. rings with int, 6+% ias, 20+% cd, 3+% cc
these should get you 100+k dps easily :D

i have some high dps int gear for sale atm, but probably out of ur budget.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7320002395

Easiest way to get massive budget DPS is to go for a non-lifesteal weapon. Honestly, lifesteal is SO overrated right now, especially with PvP around the corner. Of course, lifesteal is best-in-slot attribute for archon weapon, but its just not worth the sacrifice in DPS in my opinion.

Grab a double crit weapon possibly with intelligence and find an ammy with 2000 life on kill. Bliz already mentioned they are changing how life-on-kill works in group play with next big patch, so grab them while they are cheap.Then use blood magic when you do your runs.

With 400K buffed DPS, 2000+ life on kill, and 1.5% lifesteal from blood magic I have no problem with farming fast with good survivability up to MP5/MP6 if I really want to push it for fun. With the exception of the insane reflect damage elites, for which I sometimes have to switch to my 6% skorn to finish them off.

You can use the weapon and ammy in my profile as a guide if u want to go that route.

im gonna disagree cos op isn't looking for any highend gear, n extra 2+% from ls can help heaps on archon especially if u r new at it.
highend ls weapon = very exp, low to med end ls weapon = affordable
but op probably wont need ls weapon unless hes goin for archon build.
I wouldn't play Archon without LS. Once your damage gets to the 6 digit mark, you'll just end up one-shotting yourself every time you encounter a RD pack.

Getting a socket for your weapon helps a lot. Stack enough crit chance and attack speed and a good emerald can give insane boost to dps. Using dps boosting skills like magic weapon and familiar-sparkflint help, too.

Looking at your gear I see you have a ton of vit and life% but not much AR. AR will greatly diminish the amount of damage you take from things like desecrator pools, fire chains, etc. Taking less damage is better than having more health because it means that your healing effects (lifesteal, regen, potions, etc.) become much more powerful. Getting that mitigation would let you change out your amethysts for topaz, boosting dps.

I would look at swapping out the following pieces of gear asap:
Helm. Either a socketed helm with 4.5+ crit chance, 150+ int, and all res, or possibly an andareal's visage (socketed if you can afford it) with single digit fire damage debuff.
Gloves: Ditch the magic and gold fine. Gloves are a great source of dps as they can come with crit chance, crit damage, and attack speed bonuses. Look for a pair of gloves with at least 2 of the above, along with some all res and int.
Sword: That sword is doing nothing for you. It doesn't have a socket so no crit dmg bonus from emerald. It doesn't have lifesteal or life on hit so no survivability. The bulk of hte damage is elemental so no love from triumvirate (look up "black weapon" if you don't know why I'm saying this).
Amulet: Like gloves, amulets can have crit chance, crit damage, and attack speed. Yours has none of the above. Try to get 2 out of three or else get a low end tal rasha's allegience (comes with high crit dmg + elemental dmg bonus and int).

Not as important as the above, but still weak are:
The bracers: Getting bracers with cc, decent int, and high AR shouldn't be very expensive.
Shoulders: High vit and low int + no AR? Go for high int + high AR + medium vit instead.

I started a thread a few days ago offering free gear for players just breaking into inferno. My stuff has been picked over a bit, but I still have a few pieces that should be an upgrade for you. If you are interested, send me a invite anytime and I'll be happy to unload a bit on you.
@ Qynchou:

Your gear advice is spot on but I think the criticism is unfair. This is obviously the first char he's gotten to inferno and his equipment is completely inadequate for farming or leveling. And without good farming/high p levels, scrounging up a few hundred k gold is a daunting prospect. I remember when finding things that would sell for 30k+ was rare and exciting. It also doesn't help that the rules for selling on AH change once you hit level 60. Figuring out what is valuable and what isn't takes time (I'm still learning what is valuable to other classes).
if you want to just see some big !@# numbers get put up match Critical hit and Critical damage on your items. Also you need a weapon with a socket and a critical damage gem

Thats will bump you up in damage like crazy. Its all about how your skills/stats interact with eachother.

Look at your passive skills. Theyre all over the place focus on one main thing and run with the theme. Fire skills/cold skills/etc
Wow......this is incredible help. Don't know what to say....just thanks thanks thanks. This forum rox. I will go back to my cave and try again....best to you all.
Wow......this is incredible help. Don't know what to say....just thanks thanks thanks. This forum rox. I will go back to my cave and try again....best to you all.

@Zorton add me in game and I just might have a few items that will help you out.....

Should be on around 5:30ish EST
As the best wizard in the game by far, I will give you the advice you need. First, you will have to give up some of your magic find gear. If you get your crit chance up to 40% and you get much higher critical hit damage, you will hit 100k. It's really that easy. Also use pinpoint barrier. It helps.

Nice life by the way... You aren't a tank though.
12/06/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Alkabeth
As the best wizard in the game by far, I will give you the advice you need

Is this self proclaimed?
12/06/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Thanatos
As the best wizard in the game by far, I will give you the advice you need

Is this self proclaimed?

Well if he only plays single player, technically he is the only wizard, and hence best wizard in game. Same concept as how my Dovahkiin is the best Dovahkiin in my game. Best wizard on server, forum or in the world is highly unlikely though.

As for OP's question, damage is calculated by this formula:

Int/100 x Weapon DPS x (1 + attack speed bonus) x (1 + Critical chance x Critical damage)

You are too focus on int and have little of anything else.

1. Trade your weapon with a black rare with lifesteal and at least 80% CD (via CD or socket).
2. Trade helmet for Andarial
3. Amulet with at least two of the three: CC, attack speed or CD. All three at the same time is also possible on budget but you will take a hit on the int part.
4. What is with those bacers??? Get int ones.
5. Change armor to Tal Rashas

I once made a 100K (buffed) DPS wizard on a 350K budget. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004446617