11 Options to fix Reflects Damage

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
I currently have 2 choices:

1.) Get an impossible amount of EHP

2.) Lower my dps on purpose (I already traded 42k dps to get lifesteal on weapon, 5k life every hit doesn't help when you can do 200k to yourself)

Its funny that when I swap to my 900dps weapon, I never die to reflects damage, so yeah:

If I strict downgrade my weapon by 400dps I'm suddenly a balanced character who doesn't die and no longer newb

How the !@#$ does this make any sense to any of you?
I currently have 2 choices:

1.) Get an impossible amount of EHP

2.) Lower my dps on purpose

Its funny that when I swap to my 900dps weapon, I never die to reflects damage, so yeah:

If I strict downgrade my weapon by 400dps I'm suddenly a balanced character who doesn't die and no longer newb

How the !@#$ does this make any sense to any of you?

how easy your dps doesn't outpace your mitigation, amazing concept!!
12/08/2012 08:32 PMPosted by Stormz

Perfect defense gear doesn't outpace the dps. So you're forced to give yourself a dps cap.

Find a better weapon (like I did) but not allowed to use it because you'll kill yourself. Yeah that makes no sense.
Once your dps is high enough, reflects damage cannot be outgeared.

Anyone saying reflects damage is fine is just trying to make you mad.

No one believes reflects damage is balanced with the rest of the game.

I can push 1 million effective sustained DPS and I think it's fine. Normal LS weapon with a little bit of LOH mixed in with some decent defenses and you're good.

Only a very badly designed RPG would allow you to build a one-dimensional character without some drawback.

EDIT:
OP, you have 188k EHP and 220k DPS. If you really think that something is wrong with the game that's making RD hard on you...I just don't know what to tell you.
If I drop a meteor on a group of RD minions and it crits for a million my 40K HP, 5000 Armor, and 800 Resist isn't going to save me. It's not an issue of being a glass cannon.

Oh, and my lifesteal? That procs AFTER RD.
Quick fix for OP that cost 0 gold. Try perma gloom build and not use large AOE on RD mob. Use Boar pet. You don't need more DPS than your sustained defense like all res, armor, lifesteal. Change your passives to defensive ones.
12/08/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Tidus
Quick fix for OP that cost 0 gold. Try perma gloom build and not use large AOE on RD mob. Use Boar pet. You don't need more DPS than your sustained defense like all res, armor, lifesteal. Change your passives to defensive ones.

I cast gloom before fighting an elite everytime i see an elite.

I accidentally hit elites I didn't see and instantly die. (no chance to pop gloom)

OP, you have 188k EHP and 220k DPS. If you really think that something is wrong with the game that's making RD hard on you...I just don't know what to tell you.

You must of looked up the wrong profile:

EHP Unbuffed: 396,138
world: 50K+ (dh: 15741)
Americas: 50K+ (dh: 7183)

Wheres the limit? How much billions of gold do I need to spend before I lose the lable " glass cannon" ??

I have gear (also expensive) in the stash to get over 800k EHP (sacrificing dps of course) and reflects damage still kills within 1 second.

Here is my optimal combination of equipment:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x316/fatyblob/EfficientUbers.png

63k hit points (most demon hunters have less)
4,200 armor (most demon hunters have less
682 resistance (most demon hunters have less)
649 life regen
2.8 life steal (steals over 5,000hp per hit, so getting life on hit is not practical with high dps)

Good luck being able to afford better mitigation than that on a demon hunter without losing a truck-load of dps.

I've purchased tons of gear for my character, and a great deal of thought has been put into it. It is absolutely frustrating to see no amount of mitigation can keep up with reflects damage at high dps.
12/08/2012 08:34 PMPosted by Chillaxin

Perfect defense gear doesn't outpace the dps. So you're forced to give yourself a dps cap.

Find a better weapon (like I did) but not allowed to use it because you'll kill yourself. Yeah that makes no sense.
it makes sense because there are ways around it, you may not like them but they are there.
12/08/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Stormz
it makes sense because there are ways around it, you may not like them but they are there.

Sell the better weapon and keep the weaker one. With the better weapon you risk 1-shoting yourself from hitting monsters off-screen.
I seriously don't see how could you die to RD packs. I don't find those a problem for me. Unless you're doing it wrong.
RD would be fine if DPS wouldnt outscale defense so hard; it just doesnt make sense that u get less fighting power (dps multiplied with ehp) if you are focussing on defense which barely influences your farming speed than if u would just go for the glascannon build
I say take the current damage and double it. Then add the affix to gobs and bosses.
Q_Q
Try swapping Sharpshooter for Perfectionist?

I don't have a lot of time on my DH but as 500+ hour archon Wiz beginning to make the swap to DH I think your problem isn't your gear or mitigation, but rather the fact that you hit the entire RD mob at once with critical strikes.

That was always a problem I had on my Wiz, I so desperately wanted to make Arcane Destruction (Explode for 1600%) work.. I loved that !@#$, any other mob would get cut down, instantly. I was one-shotting Cydaea and Azmodan in MP3, but any time I ran into an RD mob, I'd pop Archon and hit the ENTIRE mob for 3M+

(Death).

And while 350K EHP is nice, it can't handle that kind of destruction. The only thing that would save me is if RD spawned with Illusionist, because the deaths of the clones would restore my life (at the time I had like 8K life per kill).

What I ended up doing for my wiz was upgrading the dps OVER TIME slightly instead of going for nuking in the beginning. I swapped Arcane Destruction for Improved Archon (25% Damage for Archon Skills), and dropped into it before I engaged the mob, while trying to single out monsters from the pack, instead of blasting all the way through the pack.

Remember, if you're hitting two monsters with RD, you're taking twice the damage from RD.

Also, since the beginning consequently or subsequently, I've focused a lot on Physical Resist over any other resist, mainly because we're "Glass Cannons". I wanted to be strong against trash melee attackers while destroying more difficult opponents from further away, but thinking about it now, I remember reading that RD is returned as physical damage. That might be another way to go. Or maybe both?

Or try focusing on gameplay, break the mob apart and focus on one monster at a time, if you don't already. Much easier to mitigate that way. It's pretty easy with Vault too, if you keep kiting in one direction, I've noticed mobs split up very easily.
Also, instead of Focused Mind on Preparation, maybe Battle Scars?

That's saved my life more than a handful of times.
Two quick things:

1) We're looking to redesign how the Reflects Damage affix works, as well as make it so that pet damage will no longer reflect back on the player. I went into a bit more detail here. (I believe the buff while active will have some sort of visual indicator, too.)

2) After seeing a number of posts from players about RD dealing what they felt to be TOO much damage (especially from minions), we did some additional testing and discovered that Rare minions with the affix were in fact doing more damage than intended. This is an issue we have scheduled to fix in an upcoming patch.

I'm not sure if these points would change your opinions at all on the subject, but I felt the information was worth pointing out. :)
The quickest and easiest solution Lylirra is to just give ranged a 30% damage reduction to ranged attacks which would include RD.

I have yet to ever see any barb or monk complain about it, it's always been ranged.