how often does nightstalker procs?

Demon Hunter
And with what %crit is it worth it?
anyone knows?
I don't have any official evidence to back this up, but previous posts on the forum have stated that the proc rate is based on the skill, and that the skill proc coefficient is the same as that used for Life on Hit. The following coefficients are based on patch 1.0.3 and are a little out of date:

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/06/diablo-3-demon-hunter-life-on-hit.html

Patch 1.0.4 changed the proc coefficient of gas grenades from 0.5 to 0.165, and caltrops jagged spkes no longer procs.

So the proc rate for Nightstalker is the combination of the skill proc rate and your crit chance. As for what level of crit chance makes it worth it, I think that's purely subjective. If you have a lower crit chance, you might consider using skills with high proc coefficients such as Hungering Cinder Arrow or Entangling Shock Collar.
It procced enough for me with 50%+ crit that I could maintain full gloom uptime with a Manticore. Now that I'm using Calamity and have 60%+ crit I have enough discipline for full gloom uptime and an occasional vault and almost never have disc issues.

However, my EHP and build allow me to stand and tank and I use AE skills so I am constantly hitting and critting targets. If you are kiting or running around it won't be possible to keep 100% uptime with gloom because you only regen disc when you are hitting and critting. In other words, nightstalker is terrible with a glass cannon build.
I don't know about how proc coefficients effect nightstalker, but that makes sense. However, I'm using Bola and Spike Traps and I gain plenty of disc from nightstalker.
I don't have an official number -- all I do know is that from playtesting it, even with moderate crit chance (around 25%) it does a good job of keeping Discipline topped up over long battles at MP 5-8, including Ubers. I'm satisfied with the skill and it's definitely worth it for a lot of DH builds.

At higher crit chance, say approaching 50%, I'm sure it would allow you to seriously spam Vaults or Shadow Power.
i play HC so a tank build is a must, and discipline is what keeps dh alive that is why nightstalker seems worth it
I can't tell if cinder arrow crits and the DOT procs NS anymore - I'm not seeing yellow numbers and not seeing too much of a return on my disc regen over runes like devouring arrow and shatter shot..
I don't have any official evidence to back this up, but previous posts on the forum have stated that the proc rate is based on the skill, and that the skill proc coefficient is the same as that used for Life on Hit. The following coefficients are based on patch 1.0.3 and are a little out of date:

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/06/diablo-3-demon-hunter-life-on-hit.html

Patch 1.0.4 changed the proc coefficient of gas grenades from 0.5 to 0.165, and caltrops jagged spkes no longer procs.

So the proc rate for Nightstalker is the combination of the skill proc rate and your crit chance. As for what level of crit chance makes it worth it, I think that's purely subjective. If you have a lower crit chance, you might consider using skills with high proc coefficients such as Hungering Cinder Arrow or Entangling Shock Collar.

I find that HA/Spray of teeth works wonders with NS, especially when it explodes on crit which happens if you are at least at 50% CHC. I started using the combo at around 37% and it was still effective albeit marginal compared to having 50%+.

In general, and feel free to correct me if I am off-base in my assumption, to really gain any effectiveness with crit-triggered abilities, CHC needs to be at least 50%. Anything after that is gravy. My CHC is 54.5% and for the most part NS triggers a lot. Only times I run into Disc issues is when a fight goes too long or I accidentally trigger disc-based powers in the heat of the fight.