Gold pick up radius should be revised.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 16 Next
The people whining about having to run over gold to pick it up must be new to Diablo. I remember having to click on every single pile of gold to pick it up, whether it be 1 piece of gold, or 10000 pieces of gold. I don't remember complaining even once.

Where is this generation of "gamers" going? Seriously. It's really getting quite pathetic with all the complaining that goes around when the majority of features in this game are really quite simple and make it much easier for you, the player. The option is there to get pick-up radius on one or two pieces of gear, but instead you would rather come to the forums and complain about something that is already easily fixed by swapping out one piece of gear while you are farming that would really not decrease your stats by that much if you knew what you were looking for.

Stop being such whining little ignoramuses. It really isn't very appealing when you whine to get things your way.

You know continuous improvement is never ignorant. There is always ways to improve things. Just being an angry gamer... calling people's whiney and pathetic .. is ignorent and pathetic and a little whiney however.
As a few players have pointed out in this thread, there are quite a range of appealing affixes that items can have. By choosing items that increase your pickup radius, you are making a decision that the value of that stat matters to you, and that you’re willing to trade other stats in order to have it. Having these sorts of compelling choices helps offer different itemization choices, and we like that players often have to weigh their options when comparing gear in order to be the most efficient, to have the greatest DPS, to find the best loot, etc.

We also like knowing when you feel that improvements can be made, though, so thank you for the feedback (seriously). We'll make sure it gets passed along to our developers.

Oh dear, Vaeflare. Oh dear, oh dear!

There appears to be something quite not right here. I can ponder the possible reasons..

1) You are under the wrong assumption that we can actually choose which affixes roll on items.
2) You are under the wrong assumption that we can swap affixes on items.
3) You are under the wrong assumption that we can remove unwanted affixes from items.
4) You are not aware of Blizzard stating many times that the AHs are optional and it is entirely feasible to progress through drops.
5) The above statements from Blizzard about AHs and progression were corporate BS.

There's a bit of a pattern here.
Promoting choice when in actual fact you have no choice.
A bit like build diversity when you are locked to the build with NV.
Like trying to move away from unrewarding, mindless, repetitive grind by introducing the Infernal Machine which is even less rewarding, mindless, hugely repetitive grind. That unsurprisingly suffers even more as a model by locking you into builds again throughout and taking away a choice of encounters.

I get that in D2 you had to click gold, I get that it took inventory space, I get that you wanted to improve on that design.
But what happened?
Why the requirement for an affix?
Why the 0 yard base pickup?
Why do I have to run over a pile several times before just giving up and leaving it?
It would actually be BETTER to be able to click on it.

But most of all, what on earth were you thinking by tying gold pickup with globe pickup, and on an affix that you have no control over if it rolls on an otherwise usable piece or not?
Even by avoiding the affix, letting otherwise usable items go and not soaking up globes as they drop, GOLD IS STILL HARDER TO PICK UP THAN IN D2.
Or by taking the absolute minimum pickup and making gold a non-issue, I THEN SOAK UP EVERY GLOBE AS IT DROPS AS A MELEE, making strategic use for self heals, follower heals or party heals impossible.

Was there no communication at Blizz HQ when designing the health globe mechanic, gold improvement and the dual pickup affix?
Because the affix completely goes against the design philosophy of health globes and melee combat.
Even Thorns (what on earth were you thinking of here) doesn't actually negatively affect me, or rolling 50 regen, or 11 AR, even lvl reduced, they may be of little use but all they do is take up an affix, not take up an affix AND effectively remove globes from the game.

Seriously, guys, is it so hard to see how this one single and solitary affix in game which actually has a negative to certain melee play styles was an ill thought out idea?

Then to go and attempt to explain it, even defend it by completely dismissing the existence of no AH play, is quite frankly mind boggling.

With respect, your statement is almost on par with that of another CM who famously declared 'obviously everyone wants the best gear possible as soon as possible', like why on earth would I, when the actual time finding that gear is the core of the bloody game?

No doubt I'll be taking another forum vacation for this post, but come on, it was a bad idea, bad design, it has been told to you for 6 months already, don't try to defend it and dig a deeper hole.
Fix it.

See you in a week or two, forums. o/
i think p/u radious should be tied to a very basic auto loot system then i think i would consider it more when choseing gear.
after all if u can pick up globes and gold at 20 yards why not gewms and items too
As a few players have pointed out in this thread, there are quite a range of appealing affixes that items can have. By choosing items that increase your pickup radius, you are making a decision that the value of that stat matters to you, and that you’re willing to trade other stats in order to have it. Having these sorts of compelling choices helps offer different itemization choices, and we like that players often have to weigh their options when comparing gear in order to be the most efficient, to have the greatest DPS, to find the best loot, etc.

We also like knowing when you feel that improvements can be made, though, so thank you for the feedback (seriously). We'll make sure it gets passed along to our developers.

the biggest issue i have with PuR isnt the fact that i have to collect it on gear. its the fact that default PuR is 0. this makes it so the object has to be right at your feet to pick it up. as we all know (even in RL) this wouldnt be the case. you could easily pick something up if it was a short distance from you.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/8320/title/diablo-3-distance-map/cat/
if you look at this distance map you can see what the ranges are. i would expect where it says "4" on the distance map to be your default PuR. it requires you to still run close to things but its a more realistic range then "0" is and would be far less frustrating as an added bonus.
12/10/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Cory
I understand this... but some affixes are completely pointless and should never be logically chosen over others. For instance I would never choose pick up radius over any DPS or EHP advantage. Only way i get it is if it just happens to be on piece i got for another reason. Therefore a waste of the roll
Just because YOU prioritize EHP/DPS over literally every other gameplay mechanic means you want the rest of us to be denied that choice?

Seriously just taking your personal preference and believing the entire game should be wrapped around it without a care in the world for those who actually enjoy these tradeoffs. Best of all your use of the word "logic" to cover up your terrible hidden assumption and make it seem like you're coming from a rational place.
I think increasing the default PUR to 1 yard is a good idea. It's not like all the gold on the ground is going to be magically picked up, you'd still need to make an effort to run over it. As the system is right now, even if you take the effort to run over piles of gold it's difficult to pick up certain stacks even when the animation shows you running right over them.
wow you are all retarded... gold pick up = goldfarmers... thats why its used thats why its expensive...also good for leveling
no it should not be revised because its fine the way it is
All you need is about 6 pickup radius. If you believe it is more efficient to have run right over the gold in order to get a minor stat increase that is your decision. It is indeed a compelling decision as this thread proves because so many people in this thread desperately want the stat but refuse to take even one slot of it.
12/10/2012 06:00 PMPosted by SoapBox
Even if every 10 lvls or so you get 1 yard radius i'd be happy with.

This right here ^^
I must've said it 50 times. I don't see why it wasn't implemented in the 1st place. Even in D2 you got light radius when you leveled (if I'm remembering it correctly). Level 10= 1 pick-up radius all the way up to level 60 equaling 6 yard pick-up radius. You really don't need any more than that unless you're using the WD mega pick-up radius spec. And I believe they have an off hand for that. The Thing of the Deep.

With the running back and forth trying to pick up gold 3 or 4 times, that's frustrating. They might as well put the "click to pick up gold" back in from D2. It would be faster.

Why isn't the same logic applied to skill trees then? Why are affixes special in the respect that you want variety?

This is completely opposite of how you handle skill trees.
12/11/2012 12:06 PMPosted by Diablomoney
All you need is about 6 pickup radius. If you believe it is more efficient to have run right over the gold in order to get a minor stat increase that is your decision. It is indeed a compelling decision as this thread proves because so many people in this thread desperately want the stat but refuse to take even one slot of it.

And thus completely remove the point of health globes as a melee.

It's alright saying it's fine, when it is fine for you, but it doesn't work like that.
There should be a working solution for everybody.

A 0 yrd base gold pickup with no added radius doesn't work for everybody.
Because there are issues with picking up gold even running over it several times.

Getting the minimum pickup on 1 item doesn't work for everybody.
Because the minimum pickup, while solving the gold issue completely negates the design philosophy of health globes as a stationary melee character, they literally get soaked up as soon as they drop. You can't pick them off to heal yourself, your follower or your team when needed, they have gone, soaked up when you didn't need them.

Then there is the issue of finding a nice upgrade (this supposed to be a loot find game, remember, not AHonline) which has radius on and because you don't want to soak up globes as they drop, that piece is ruined.

Why these (gold and globe) were ever put together just does not make sense in the design philosophy of health globes and of improving gold collection as it was in D2, they do not compliment each other as being a one size fits all take it or leave it affix.
I would never leave home without my pickup radius. I was able to make room for it, so can you.
Please don't do anything to pick up radius. It's fine.

If something HAD to be done, let everyone have 1 yard radius maximum to alleviate the frustrating situation of not being able to pick up gold.
---

*If anything Could be done, please let us choose more item types we can automatically pick up, thereby boosting the value of pickup radius. This option will scale with +pickup radius, and is chosen by the player.

For example, in the Options, let us choose, say, Gold + Health Globes + Flawless Square Emeralds + Legendaries + Archon Gloves. It could be like an auction house drop-down menu. So we can walk over and auto-pickup.
---

For me, pickup radius is awesome, and I gear carefully if I want pieces with them. Please don't destroy this value.

Also, pickup radius is not desired by all players (ex. those who want to save health globes strategically). So please do not put it with paragon levels.

If you agree, please like this post so Blizz can see it and implement this way!
While I appreciate not having to click on gold to pick it up a la D2, the amount of gold in the game makes it necessary to pick it all up to be able to accumulate any. Get a WD and a Thing of Deep and see how much that improves your gameplay. I won't unequip it on my WD for anything. Or they could lower the amount of gold that drops so making an effort to pick it up is worth while. I'm not against that as I feel like they really over did the drop rate and forced the AHs much higher because of it.