...now I am a noob all over (HC)
Any pointers from some veterans?
I take it a shield is needed, true?
What skills do you prefer?
Dashing Strike a must?
Near Death Experience?

Please share your wisdom
Let's do it azakiah. Add me

I need a partner for HC... I'm lvl 32 but have come in a few close calls due to lag spikes. Stopped playing it because it got too dangerous..

Yes, a shield is needed for solo play. You want enough mitigation to survive 15 seconds of lag/disconnect/dropout..

I'm only lvl 32 and my most important passive is transcendence. Saved me so many times..
You can copy my build for HC, it's fairly standard. High vit, resists, armor, etc...once you clear Inferno, you can go more offensive or stick with your defensive build.

If you search the HC forums, you'll find a lot of info on gearing/build for monks. The HC guys will help you out if you needed help, although they can be a bit intolerant of SC guys. They are an interesting group.

Edit: In inferno, if you DC, most likely you are dead. Shield isn't going to help with DC. You can gear your enchantress with a Maximus and use mystic ally, they may prevent your demise if you DC, but it's unlikely since you usually DC fighting elites with arcane, molten, etc...
I like my build. It's a dual wield build though. Not for everyone, but it's probably the safest dual wield build I've ever seen.
Scrap, add me man, ledoit
HC is easy as a Monk. :3 Got a Monk to 60 first try in like 3 days.

I geared and set skills to where I could basically one shot everything till like late hell. Than I got a little more serious.

I haven't touched my HC char in a while though <_< I got it to 60 than kind of stopped.

Its kind of obvious what stats you want for a HC Character.
i am actually really good at hardcore, heres what you need to know: you need to make the game your !@#$%

if at any point the game is harder than farming mp0 on your godly sc monk, go back and farm or drop the mp, because you will die.

You can use whatever build you want (as long as it is strong), because the game is going to be your ^-*!@. as was noted, a shield won't help against your one true enemy: d/c

The AH is healthy, it's never an issue to make money off of drops so you can always make sure you are well geared.

There are a few parts in the game where difficulty spikes with absolutely no notice and you should use care when first entering these areas: the southern highlands, the halls of agony, and the desolate sands. Additionally, please watch out for blazing guardians, fallen maniacs, succubi, corrupted angels and morlu incinerators. These "trash" enemies will more than likely be your demise if you are not careful.

Source: my room mate only plays HC and i have spent a good deal of time watching him play and playing his characters. after the WW barb nerf, we agree that the WD is best class for hc, followed by the monk. WD op, because your pets just tank for you while you kill everything, and safety is #1
12/12/2012 07:52 PMPosted by jco310
Edit: In inferno, if you DC, most likely you are dead. Shield isn't going to help with DC. You can gear your enchantress with a Maximus and use mystic ally, they may prevent your demise if you DC, but it's unlikely since you usually DC fighting elites with arcane, molten, etc...

A lot of monks could benefit from the Enchantress-Maximus-Ally trifecta in SC, too. It's like the mobs don't even pay attention to you half the time. This is my current setup (testing Ally on MP5). It's pretty damn fantastic, and more or less better than Blazing Wrath.
On the subject of difficulty spikes: Butcher, Belial, and Ghom. Probably Azmodan, too.
Until you hit inferno, HC is fairly easy. Once in inferno, just take it slow. You will want to clear an area of monsters before going into unexplored territory in case you run into an elite pack and need to retreat. Since you get one life (two with NDE), you've got to take things slow. Quite a few guys steamroll through normal-hell and then use the same playstyle in inferno, which will get you killed. Watch out for fallen maniacs in keep depths 2 and the warden in A4. The most difficult area is usually A4, just take your time.
i have two HC monks both diffrent builds one for a bit more damage and farming and the other one just for beefing up my eHP. Both can clear Inferno mp0 just dont play reckless when you think its going to get tough step back and try not to get surrounded.