Criticising Diablo 3

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 26 Next
There really should be a sticky thread where players can make suggestions and/or constructive criticism of the game. Honestly, I think the fact that Vaeflare is engaging in dialogue is a positive step forward. Now that the players know that Blizz is actually reading posts like the OP's, I would think that you will see more people submit more creative and interesting ways to make the game better.

Without such open dialogue, many of the creative people may just quit posting their ideas and the forum will devolve into trolling matches for and against the game.

I would be perfectly happy with such a thread, even if it is highly regulated by deleting posts that openly criticize for the sake of it or troll another player's input.
The biggest Problem in the (today) Gaming Industry and Publishing is...the Game Designers continue to remove the Customers, the loyal Gamers, the Fans from the Process in Creating Games. The People who actually play the Games no longer have influence in the Creating Process. Our voices are not heard. Thats where the big Depression is coming from. Its not only here in Diablo3 the case, its everywhere...with all the big AAA Publisher Releases.

I spend the last 10 Hours watching Kickstarter Projects and Videos, Crowdfunding is currently rising so massivly in popularity the big Publishers will in the Future get massive Problems if it continues like that.
If you dont know what Kickstarter or Crowdfunding is... basicly you spend whatever you like on a new Project, it gets funded that way without the need for big Publishers or DRM or anything else...and when the Project is done, it gets released on Digital distribution Plattforms like Greenlight on Steam, and for the Amount you spend you get actually something in Return...like a free Digital Copy or even more cool Stuff.
If they collect more Money over the set Goal, they realize Stretch Goals... meaning, they use that Money to make the Game even better...adding more Content etc.

I gonna give you a few Examples of Projects i am really Hyped about...

Star Citizen... from the Creater who done "Wing Commander" :
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen?ref=bw6yy7

Double Fine Adventure... a new Point & Click Adventure from the People who originally created Maniac Mansion, Zak Mc Cracken, Indiana Jones and such:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure?ref=bw6yy7

Wasteland2.... omfg all i can say :-)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2?ref=bw6yy7

Shadowrun Returns....
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns?ref=bw6yy7

Planetary Annihilation... this looks so friggen awsome, its incredible !!!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts?ref=bw6yy7

Project Eternity... from the Makers of Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity?ref=bw6yy7

War of the Overlord... just got funded... A NEW DUNGEON KEEPER !!!
https://subterraneangames.com/

Thats just a few, and they all follow the same Philosophy :
WORKING ALONGSIDE GAMERS !!!

If you ask me, this is the future of Gaming and i am totally thrilled for the Games to come.
Shadowrun Returns....

YES! I had no idea this was in the works. I will absolutely buy this as soon as it is released. Thanks for the heads up!!
01/08/2013 06:28 PMPosted by Vaeflare
What's she's really saying is "Be glad we did anything for you. Regardless of what you may think, the changes were great and the game is big fun. Item choices are interesting, stat allocation is spot on, and if you can't see that then.. well, you're just not doing it right."

Yeah it’s… not really cool to try and paraphrase my words in order to twist the sentiment of my post. :-/

Design decisions are made with a lot in mind, and it’s an ongoing development process that often involves a lot of people. While I can try to offer insight into why we’ve made or are considering certain design decisions, at the end of the day, people’s opinions on it will undoubtedly vary from person-to-person, and since the folks here at Blizzard are gamers just like you, you can bet this passionate bunch has some varied opinions about all sorts of things relating to Diablo III.

While there are aspects of the game you’re bound to jive with, there are undoubtedly others that simply might not be your cup of tea (or blood, since we’re talking about slaying demons here). If you’ve noticed something that you think could be improved, we truly do want to hear about it, but bear in mind that while a lot of feedback we receive sounds really neat (and believe me, I’ve seen some incredibly awesome ideas floating around here), that doesn’t mean we have the bandwidth to do it all, nor that we necessarily believe that certain ideas are best for Diablo III. But as I’ve said before, we’re down to continue to improve it and make it the best game we possibly can.

Well, if anything substantial were EVER done and you didn't keep the community completely in the dark you might not get responses like that. You would think you guys would've learned by now. I realize it's out of your hands but you guys should be shoving this down your bosses throats every day. MAKE THEM SEE THEY'RE WRONG OR DON'T POST ON THE FORUMS UNDER YOUR CM.
For someone that refuses to play anymore, you sure wrote a lot of garbage that no one important would really pay attention too..
TLDR to be honest..

The only thing that I find disappointing about the game is Legendaries and Rares, and the fact that some Legendaries are completely worthless..

Also, I don't think stats like int should be on things like Mighty weapons, cloaks and 1h xbows.. stats completely useless to the classes that those items are directed at..

But, Blizzard has acknowledged that they product is not yet finished and I'm sure they're working hard to make it better.. Diablo 2 wasn't up to scratch on release either, it took a year and an expansion to actually get it right, so before you start preaching about how much of an awesome hardcore fan you are.. you'll need to take a look at D2s state when it was released..

But for those that have actually quit, and aren't spending their time trolling the forums.. well, they'll be back once PvP is actually out, and all it'll take is a simple phrase from someone that
is still actually playing it..

"I bet my character can beat yours"

Unless they're actually finished with the game and can't be bothered anymore
01/08/2013 06:28 PMPosted by Vaeflare
What's she's really saying is "Be glad we did anything for you. Regardless of what you may think, the changes were great and the game is big fun. Item choices are interesting, stat allocation is spot on, and if you can't see that then.. well, you're just not doing it right."

Yeah it’s… not really cool to try and paraphrase my words in order to twist the sentiment of my post. :-/

Design decisions are made with a lot in mind, and it’s an ongoing development process that often involves a lot of people. While I can try to offer insight into why we’ve made or are considering certain design decisions, at the end of the day, people’s opinions on it will undoubtedly vary from person-to-person, and since the folks here at Blizzard are gamers just like you, you can bet this passionate bunch has some varied opinions about all sorts of things relating to Diablo III.

While there are aspects of the game you’re bound to jive with, there are undoubtedly others that simply might not be your cup of tea (or blood, since we’re talking about slaying demons here). If you’ve noticed something that you think could be improved, we truly do want to hear about it, but bear in mind that while a lot of feedback we receive sounds really neat (and believe me, I’ve seen some incredibly awesome ideas floating around here), that doesn’t mean we have the bandwidth to do it all, nor that we necessarily believe that certain ideas are best for Diablo III. But as I’ve said before, we’re down to continue to improve it and make it the best game we possibly can.

I can only hope meetings and conferences don't get in the way of design, so many of those will just distract creativity with too much management. Diablo 3 admittedly isn't too much my cup of tea CURRENTLY, but with future additions I can see it becoming a game I'll come and play every so often. There's just not enough content right now to keep me filled, and it's too monotone in terms of game-play. Feels like an arcade machine.

Don't take it to heart/be offended that everyone's angry or stating wild things about development or your posts and such, it's just the disappointment & passion spilling through, it gets contagious among all players, myself included. In fact anger is what drove me to write the first post to begin with and to such lengths. I really do want Diablo 3 to be a good game, I want it to compete with other games out there just to drive other games to make better games and continue that spiral upwards not the other way around. With that competition mindset only new things will arise and everyone wins.

has it ever occurred to you that maybe YOU are the one who is not grasping their design decisions? she's right about stat points and skill trees ... they are archaic and ultimately pointless.

because game companies can't improve stat systems in 12 years. It is nothing more than a dumbing down of the game to sell to younger and less intelligent people. blizzard treats its audience like we are stupid and some people seem okay with this.

but I can agree with being able to allocate your own stats doesn't fit in diablo 3 because the stats themselves are shallow and dull. So allocating your own stats isn't pointless its the shallow design by blizzard that makes it pointless. They chose to go one way but don't tell me being able to allocate your stats is archaic, we just need a dev team that will take the time to come up with a system that is deeper than the one we got in diablo 3.

and honestly i don't think blizzard knows what their design decisions for diablo 3 are anymore. too much flip flopping on almost everything. Old Diablo 2 things making their way back into the game. PVP being scrapped after 2+ years of "testing"(why does it take 2+ years to figure out that TDM isn't working or good? Why?). There just seems to be a lack of direction, vision and focus on what they want diablo 3 to be. They keep saying one thing and doing another.

I think most agree that Itemization is the main problem with diablo 3. (i could be wrong) but i haven't seen this addressed at all(legendaries aside but we all know it should have never had to be fixed in the first place).

Stat/skill point allocation is archaic. Anybody who played D2 in the beginning knows how crappy it was to realize they put too many skill points into a skill they weren't going to use later on and wasted A LOT of time on a toon. Once builds came out that were good, people would save skill points for level upon level waiting for a certain skill to unlock. Does this not sound a little stupid to you? I'm sure you will say something like it gave us freedom, no it didn't grandpa. All it did was punish people for not putting skills exactly the way they needed to be to fully optimize a build. It was a stupid old way of doing things and I'm glad they have the current system in place so I can actually mess around with all the skills instead of regretting putting a point in a useless skill every step of the way to paragon level 100.
Regarding that last part I'm glad to hear you're socially active among the venues that most people check and see, but the forums here are equally as important, if not even more. It's quite disheartening to see these threads & many other things go without any response for pretty much half a month each time.

I know you all have to attend meetings conferences design shakedowns and whatnot, I'm not oblivious to that for sure, but it'd nice to get a check-in from you and the other CMs maybe once a week, daily is just asking too much. I've seen Blizzard's studio and HQ(pretty bold statement I guess), seen development teams and gone through development cycles, game design classes & studios and I know that job is extremely demanding from customers(i.e the players) and highly stressful with crazy crunch time and OT during certain phases of milestones and the like. But a simple drop-in weekly would be nice rather than silence for half a month to something else.

Maybe even just rumor debunking would be nice, or small tidbits of why the blog posts are delayed or something. Not asking for miracles or lies here just some communication.

With the exception of our holiday break and whatever time each of us take off for events or vacations throughout the year, we’re here, and we’re busy. Each week we have numerous blogs that go up concerning a variety of topics, and pretty much every weekday one or more of us are actively posting updates to our social media sites as and posting here on the forums. While what we post on might not always be the issue that concerns you most, I can assure you we don’t go months without posting (I’ve posted about a half a dozen times here today, and Lylirra is very active as well). But when time and schedule allows, I’m personally trying to squeeze in more time to post here and elsewhere on the “interwebs.” :)

As I said though, we’re definitely interested on continuing to improve communication with the community. One of the things we’re looking into is a better method to make sure that important “Blue” posts are highlighted, since I suspect many inadvertently are overlooked (which explains some of the repeat questions I see so often).
01/08/2013 06:53 PMPosted by Mendacium
There really should be a sticky thread where players can make suggestions and/or constructive criticism of the game. Honestly, I think the fact that Vaeflare is engaging in dialogue is a positive step forward. Now that the players know that Blizz is actually reading posts like the OP's, I would think that you will see more people submit more creative and interesting ways to make the game better.

There should be a forum dedicated to feedback like the PTR feedback forum that actually has a blue presence. Nobody posts suggestions for classes, hardcore or crafting in the forums dedicated to them because they feel it will never be seen by a blue.

The reason everyone posts everything in general is they know blues read it.
diablo 3 was the biggest disappointment of 2012.

probably the biggest disappointment of any pc game in history.

these forums and its mixed playerbase from worldofwarcraft, are the only thing left keeping this game alive.

how many threads were created on average on a single day shortly after launch, than the next few months after, and how about today? population = dying.

rip blizzard north.
Shadowrun Returns....

YES! I had no idea this was in the works. I will absolutely buy this as soon as it is released. Thanks for the heads up!!

You can buy it right now.
If you Pledge $15 right now, you get a Free Digital Downloadable copy of the game when it comes out.
and thats not all... your 15 Bucks count toward the next Stretch Goal, so when that is reached...they gonna put in something new / awsome.
Stat/skill point allocation is archaic. Anybody who played D2 in the beginning knows how crappy it was to realize they put too many skill points into a skill they weren't going to use later on and wasted A LOT of time on a toon. Once builds came out that were good, people would save stat points for level upon level waiting for a certain skill to unlock. Does this not sound a little stupid to you? I'm sure you will say something like it gave us freedom, no it didn't grandpa. All it did was punish people for not putting skills exactly the way they needed to be to fully optimize a build. It was a stupid old way of doing things and I'm glad they have the current system in place so I can actually mess around with all the skills instead of regretting it every step of the way to paragon level 100.

That's why newer games should offer a small-respec, that's a mistake of 12 years ago, you'll still be committed to your build but if you want to experiment your newer skills or get rid of your old ones you'll be given a small respec to reconsider your choices a little and not be so rigid. A full complete respec can be argued exactly the same as having none; Now you don't have to commit to anything and no one's unique at all.

To get a full re-spec I actually approved of the idea beforehand during D3's beta that it should only be able to be changed when you're in town and thought they might go further with that somewhere along the way but instead just enabled full respec at anywhere... kinda made me wonder why there's a Cooldown timer on switching skills in inferno being so lengthy when on normal it's only a few seconds.

A better system is more like small respec for a small price or something or just for free & full respec given upon achieving challenging tasks so you won't have to re-roll your entire char and gather equip or change names or whatever or re-customize whatever you got already.
HOWEVER Diablo 3 can't adopt this, or well it could but it'd take an insane amount of work and time just to change that and have it balanced in a way to make it playable to redo the whole thing.

I'm just hoping the way Diablo 3 is going will be well attuned for its future expansions and systems that they have implemented currently. They clearly have a vision and idea where they're going with it so I'm sure it's not going to suddenly do an overhaul... unless they want to shock me a second time like from beta to release D:
Why would a company make a better game than it's current cash cow? Just be real with us Blues. Everyone would quit WoW if Diablo 3 was better. That's the way I see it. D3's dominance in this genre is slipping, PoE might be able to take it if it was more appealing to the masses.
I’ve seen some incredibly awesome ideas floating around here), that doesn’t mean we have the bandwidth to do it all, nor that we necessarily believe that certain ideas are best for Diablo III.

If this is not the online only game, this problem would never happen.

Anyway, glad that Reflect Damage(RD+Minion) is being fixed and the meaningless Death Timer is removed.

I like to point out to those defending about having Death Timer for Single Player.

If this game is about diversity/customization/personification of builds, play-style, gears then it means that players will try difficult things and see how it works for them.

1. If you die, means the builds not viable, if not all is well. How does the death timer helps in any sense? In fact it PUNISHES those who TRIES. If you have whole load of gears in their BIS form, with different feature/specialty than I'll understand they you won't die in game while testing.

2. If you are not supposed to die, shouldn't you play hardcore instead? We test builds in SC so that we can have our very own 'best' build in HC. Again, Death Timer doesn't help in any sense.

3. If death timer would have any purpose, it is to punish players for dying, death zergling bypassing monsters for loots. However, in Single Player, there's no way to do that since you'll respawn back at the entry point without any 'friend's to wrap to.
Regarding that last part I'm glad to hear you're socially active among the venues that most people check and see, but the forums here are equally as important, if not even more. It's quite disheartening to see these threads & many other things go without any response for pretty much half a month each time.

I know you all have to attend meetings conferences design shakedowns and whatnot, I'm not oblivious to that for sure, but it'd nice to get a check-in from you and the other CMs maybe once a week, daily is just asking too much. I've seen Blizzard's studio and HQ(pretty bold statement I guess), seen development teams and gone through development cycles, game design classes & studios and I know that job is extremely demanding from customers(i.e the players) and highly stressful with crazy crunch time and OT during certain phases of milestones and the like. But a simple drop-in weekly would be nice rather than silence for half a month to something else.

Maybe even just rumor debunking would be nice, or small tidbits of why the blog posts are delayed or something. Not asking for miracles or lies here just some communication.

With the exception of our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8163086/Happy_Holidays-12_21_2012"]holiday break[/url] and whatever time each of us take off for events or vacations throughout the year, we’re here, and we’re busy. Each week we have [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/"]numerous blogs[/url] that go up concerning a variety of topics, and pretty much every weekday one or more of us are actively posting updates to our social media sites as and posting here on the forums. While what we post on might not always be the issue that concerns you most, I can assure you we don’t go months without posting (I’ve posted about a half a dozen times here today, and Lylirra is very active as well). But when time and schedule allows, I’m personally trying to squeeze in more time to post here and [url="https://twitter.com/Vaeflare"]elsewhere[/url] on the “interwebs.” :)

As I said though, we’re definitely interested on continuing to improve communication with the community. One of the things we’re looking into is a better method to make sure that important “Blue” posts are highlighted, since I suspect many inadvertently are overlooked (which explains some of the repeat questions I see so often).

I have to disagree you guys vanished.. All that social media stuff should come 2nd to forums..

Your player base is here.. they come for help, questions and complaints..

Posting today does not make up for the lack of silence... I think this is part of the biggest issues the community has.. the lack of communication..

See how many responses this thread alone got since someone from bliz actually talked to us.. I know you got other stuff to do but make some time to answer questions.. or heck Do a live chat thing.. anything...
01/08/2013 07:20 PMPosted by HachiKumo
If this is not the online only game, this problem would never happen.

This is a term of art in project management/development. It means that the dev team does not have the resources (i.e. time in man-hours, money, etc) to work on/perfect those features. It is not the technical definition of "bandwidth" relating to server ability and such.

Just wanted to clarify that for you.
With the exception of our holiday break and whatever time each of us take off for events or vacations throughout the year, we’re here, and we’re busy. Each week we have numerous blogs that go up concerning a variety of topics, and pretty much every weekday one or more of us are actively posting updates to our social media sites as and posting here on the forums. While what we post on might not always be the issue that concerns you most, I can assure you we don’t go months without posting (I’ve posted about a half a dozen times here today, and Lylirra is very active as well). But when time and schedule allows, I’m personally trying to squeeze in more time to post here and elsewhere on the “interwebs.” :)

Oh right forgot about the holidays completely :/ that's what 50 hours of school do to you + a part time job on the weekend heh, makes you forget everything in life zz.

Fair enough you guys/girls do post within a month, I'm just asking if it could be at least once a week if not... guess I'll just suck it up buttercup o_o; not that I have very much time myself to come and look. It's just nice to read and see what's happening. The polls and things are a nice sign of activity. I noticed those being made last night & a few days ago.

I do applaud the effort and the amount of activity being presented here right now, just wish it happened more often with many other players. Not to the extent where you address everything obviously but within reason. You stated that you even see multiple questions of the same type& issue appearing repeatedly.

I'll just follow you on there(there being your elsewhere link.) then.

And thanks again for engaging the community albeit most of us are still raging(not me) behind the monitor and posting :D. Very brave, but not unnoticed... by me anyways.
01/08/2013 05:45 PMPosted by atom428
We feel that as the game has evolved and stands now, there are sufficient penalties associated with character death, so the incrementing death timer it doesn’t feel necessary anymore.

I was playing a wizard and i loved the balance the had. Now my wizard dies too much, so i roll a barb because i can not tolerate laying on the ground dead for 30 seconds, 300+ hours of game play later you state that you plan on removing this feature. removing... devolution.. had i know three hundred hours ago this was coming i would have rolled a hardcore barb or soft core demon hunter. As I stated, please, pick a direction and stick with it. The constant alteration to game mechanics makes build diversity hardly an option. The only option at the moment is to pick the skills and or class that are over powered and follow suit. Please tell the developer that wrote a piece of script just to see it deleted in a future patch that I am sorry to see his or her hard work deleted due to a lack of direction. Although this matter does upset me please understand that I am trying to be constructive in this post.

They're removing a death timer, stop acting like a drama queen. jeebus!!!