Socket adding used to be in game?

General Discussion
Not trying to be an Jerk. But it's basic economics. Most Items value is trash bc they are missing sockets. This prevents many items to be nowhere close to being BiS. This is common sense, add socket feature would remedy the worthless items nobody is buying. How is this difficult to grasp? Windforce can roll 100% or a Socket. Not both. Imagine all the Windforces that have 100% crit with 1200 damage, add Socket just made it be able to get 200% crit damage. Now people are buying this all up because they blog stated that they are including an +socket feature. This is how the economy works.

I'm not the one who you have to convince. It's those people at Blizzard who know what is fun for us. That's who you need to tell. I'm 100% for socketing. I'm presenting you with the reason Blizzard will NOT do it, that's all! :)

I know how economies work and am full to the brim with common sense.

'Economies' do not belong in games of this ilk. The 'economy' is the thing holding back potential great additions to D3 like socketing
'Economies' do not belong in games of this ilk. The 'economy' is the thing holding back potential great additions to D3 like socketing
The real chore is making radiant star gems from flawless squares! Sockets no problem.. be nice to just choose the level gem you want to make and it consume the resources you have.
A chore, that's funny considering this whole game feels like a job.
This would make the game more exciting, a socket quest at least!
12/15/2012 01:27 PMPosted by DeadRu

Had one in D2 it was exploited to death, that is why I believe D3 does not have one.

Exploit...

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/4500000/The-Princess-Bride-the-princess-bride-4563982-1280-720.jpg
12/15/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Shockwave
The real chore is making radiant star gems from flawless squares! Sockets no problem.. be nice to just choose the level gem you want to make and it consume the resources you have.

I second that. Batch crafting would be awesome!!

Drog

Had one in D2 it was exploited to death, that is why I believe D3 does not have one.

It was exploited to death because it was so easy to do.

Make the quest in the last act of the game, make it obtainable only if a certain monster is killed, make that monster drop a certain item that can only be dropped with 5 NV, and make it obtainable in all difficulties. That way, each toon would only be able to do it once they reached lvl 60, but were rewarded with the fact that they could complete the quest 4 times, to socket 4 different items. If people wanted to power lvl toons to lvl 60 for that, more power to them. But here is the kicker, make the socketed item account bound. Account bound = ZERO Exploit, because no one would be able to AH the items that they socketed. Just my 2 cents.

Drog
12/14/2012 09:35 AMPosted by Dwelve
What's funny, is the reason was it being a chore to have to go back to town every time you find an upgrade.Lool, I'm willing to go back to town and run through the entire 4 acts naked every time I find an upgrade.

And is that really so much better than just giving you the socket right away? How about you find an upgrade but you can´t equip it, simply because it´s a better item. So you have to replay normal,nightmare and hell difficulty to "unlock" the item. Is that really an improvement to the game?

You make it a craft that takes another item with a socket as a mat (mat gets destroyed) and set the percentage for success to less than 100%. Maybe even set a VERY small chance to destroy the item you're trying to add the socket to. Gold sink + item sink + a little risk involved if there is a chance to lose the item. I think people would go for it.
You know chores are actually a good thing in video games because it give us something to do.
Whatever happened to the feature in RPGs where you can add enhancements to a certain level safely, but after that there was a chance to destroy the item completely? I think a socket NPC/Alchemist would really spice up game play. Today, there were at least 10 really sick rares that could have used an augmentation/socket and I would have gladly been willing to devote the time into working on it. Emphasis on time/task, not so much gold in the billions.

On that idea, why not let us break white items into "diamond dust" where the blacksmith can then condense the material into some sort of "diamond nail" that can pierce even the mightiest of weapons? I feel like then at least the maps wouldn't be so littered with no-use gear and it would be the first of many changes toward leveling out the economy for the weekend warriors. A gold price on it would just be tasteless and tired.

I remember playing KAL online in it's beta and seeing the top level chars with their +12 nasty weapons thinking, "what a lucky son of a gun to not have broken that, already GG weapon."
There are different aspects of loot lust than simply finding the drop.

Tons of really entertaining ideas on this forum, keep it up :]