Improving itemization; legends revamp

General Discussion
Great ideas dont think blizz would ever listen tho

there does need to be more variety and it needs to be a head scratcher when deciding what item set to use

definitely! I mean take twohand builds. Its a WHOLE build which is so limited in its choices, its not funny anymore.

There is basically a skorn and skorn, another skorn ... and skorn. The rest of the lvl63 twohand legendary/set items arent even worth anything.
It always bothered me on how the set mighty belt always rolled life steal, but the monk's set spirit stone doesn't roll spirit regen guaranteed, only rarely. There could be a lot done for the balance of set bonuses across all the class sets as well.
Blizzard's focus on the non-existent market for Yet Another Item Game is how we got here. If they intend to save this franchise, then they have no choice but to make this a PvP game.
I'm just happy you guys don't work on the dev team.
I am not trying to rain on your parade, but even though you no doubt worked hard. There is one thing you will never be able to overcome. There will always be a BiS gear. Sure you might make a few alternatives that are close to the BiS gear.

BiS is something that is based on math. So it is mathematically the best piece of gear in that slot. Just like cookie cutter builds (mathematically the best build) cannot be gotten rid of.
promise of glory should have a chance to roll over mf/gf caps say 35/35 giving good rolls a chance to sell better than razorspikes

you fix BiS item rule by giving players MORE choices and better rolls instead of a selected few. This DOES bring overall market prices down when there's more variety and choices hence Blizzard would be reluctant to do this :p
some 2H's revised, no nerf for Skorn - buff for the rest:

Immortal King's Boulder Breaker BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/immortal-kings-boulder-breaker
making it usefull while not going the high crit dmg way

One of 4 Magic Properties (varies)
Increases Critical Hit Chance of Overpower by 5-13% (increased from 2-8%)
Increases Critical Hit Chance of Whirlwind by 5-13% (from 2-8%)
Increases Critical Hit Chance of Seismic Slam by 5-13% (2-8%)
Reduces resource cost of Hammer of the Ancients by 3-10 Fury (from 1-5)

add one more guaranted affix:
empty socket

The Grandfather BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-grandfather
going for survability but sacrificing high dps from Skorn

Defiance Aura on equip - increases armor by 10%, active for all party members

now +2 Random Magic Properties instead of 1

Warmonger BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/warmonger
let's go hp regen way

dps range increased to 847.4–1439.0

Healing Aura on equip, active for all party members - 434-772 Life per Second

+15-16% Life

Heart Slaughter redesigned to ilvl63 BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/heart-slaughter
let's go for damage - but in a different way than Skorn

dps range increased to 710.4–1391.1

Chance to double the damage of your Critical Hits

Schaefers's Hammer BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/schaeferss-hammer
straight adjustment to dps range

dps range increased to 910.8–1457.9

Maximus BIS: Skorn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/maximus
once again damage - but in a different way than Skorn

now +10-25% Damage to Demons

Increases Damage Against Elites by 6-10%
12/29/2012 09:29 PMPosted by ShadowAegis
I am not trying to rain on your parade, but even though you no doubt worked hard. There is one thing you will never be able to overcome. There will always be a BiS gear. Sure you might make a few alternatives that are close to the BiS gear.

the more variety, the better - even if it's just closing the gap, you'd have much more options in different price regions; all players running with lacunis and vile ward, or Skorn for 2h builds, are really boring. at least i feel that way : -)

thx for the feedback guys! if you like the idea please, bump it from time to time, like it, request sticky - would be grateful to share this with more people.
definitely! I mean take twohand builds. Its a WHOLE build which is so limited in its choices, its not funny anymore.There is basically a skorn and skorn, another skorn ... and skorn. The rest of the lvl63 twohand legendary/set items arent even worth anything.

Couldn't agree more, +1 to OP as well. Any blue post regarding passing this to developers?
12/31/2012 10:58 AMPosted by MayheM
definitely! I mean take twohand builds. Its a WHOLE build which is so limited in its choices, its not funny anymore.There is basically a skorn and skorn, another skorn ... and skorn. The rest of the lvl63 twohand legendary/set items arent even worth anything.

Couldn't agree more, +1 to OP as well. Any blue post regarding passing this to developers?

thank you very much, glad you like the idea - hopefully more people will reply and add opinions. since blue commented on topic in another thread ( http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6160439019#19 ), there's a chance that developers will actually change things around.

new things added:

Wizardspike
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/wizardspike
making a rival for chantodo - trade off between all res and chantodo's set bonus

dps range increased from 658.1–1030.6 to 658.1–1155.6

+1 Random Magic Properties

The Traveler's Pledge
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-travelers-pledge
making it useful - since set bonus give crit damage, let's focus on a chance to do those critical hits

Critical Hit Chance Increased by 9-10%

The Compass Rose
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-compass-rose

Attack Speed Increased by 8-9%

set bonus to Endless Path revised:
since set is designed around mf rather than dps, lets give it a boost

+100 Vitality
Critical Hit Damage Increased by 50%

40% Better Chance of Finding Magical Items

Last Breath
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/last-breath
to benefit from "Slain enemies rest in pieces" lets add ls

2.20-3.00% of Damage Dealt Is Converted to Life
sharing this with more people, great stuff.
12/29/2012 09:32 PMPosted by Hak
you fix BiS item rule by giving players MORE choices and better rolls instead of a selected few. This DOES bring overall market prices down when there's more variety and choices hence Blizzard would be reluctant to do this :p

i believe they wanted players to use a different builds and different items, heard it numerous times from devs. i hope you're wrong on that one :-).
There will always be a BIS for a specific build.
Excellent idea, but mempo is probably the worst example you can think of. IMO it's one of the few items that is ALWAYS good, and has pre-determined affixes totally in-line with the ideas you are proposing.

Every single one rolls with at least 8 IAS, 10% life, 70 AR and a socket. The crappiest mempo I ever picked up still sold for a sweet 18M.
Excellent idea, but mempo is probably the worst example you can think of. IMO it's one of the few items that is ALWAYS good, and has pre-determined affixes totally in-line with the ideas you are proposing.

Every single one rolls with at least 8 IAS, 10% life, 70 AR and a socket. The crappiest mempo I ever picked up still sold for a sweet 18M.

yep, I agree, totally forgot about that one.

from the eu forum:

It saddens me to see troll/rage/rant posts getting thousands of hits and marvels of engineering and benevolence such as this one barely scoring hundreds...

thank you very much, i really appreciate that! hopefully more people will share this topic and leave a comment.

Flying Dragon needs a buff as well. You can't get socket, cd and ls on it, hence Skorn will always beat it as it is now. And the attack speed bonus happens way too infrequently to be of real use.

Seven Sins are still too bad. Now you can't even max out all res at 80.

there are many items that still needs attention, can't do all of them unfortunately, you can post your own suggestions too. seven sins is a "starter" item that can be crafted and is designed for new guys, those who just reach inferno.

I'm gonna bump this thread because I agree with everything in it. I don't like how everyone has exactly the same items at an end game stage. (And since we are unable to due legendary items, everybody looks exactly the same as well!!)

I do very much enjoy the thought of being able to use another class's skill/rune as an effect on one of the items you wear.

everyone loves on hit effects, auras and feeling of uniqueness to the items. i wish we could have more of that!

there is NO SUCH BEAST AS BIS. there are preferred items such as vile ward but BIS does not exist here.

you can call it "preffered items", then.

The chance to move faster attribute would be pretty much pointless.

When you equip your hero with movement speed items, you get them two items with +12% movement speed on them, giving them a constant +24% movement speed.

chance to get additional +12% ms from Slave Bonds would work just like "fleet footed" monks passive, so no problem with that. also it would be too powerful if the buff was constant, and even with my original design, it would improve speed farming for some guys.

I think it's something that should be done and would greatly enhance item diversity.

i'm all about adding variety and diversity, whether you consider items, builds or skills :-)
so finally, to add cherry on the top, the one and only (can't be crafted anymore):

The Helm of Command - BIS: Mempo of Twilight
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/the-helm-of-command

+184-189 Vitality
+8% Chance to Block
+40 Physical Resistance
+61-80 Resistance to All Elements

One of 25 Magic Properties (varies):
Reduces cooldown of Call of the Ancients by 10-20 seconds. (Barbarian Only)
Reduces cooldown of Earthquake by 10-20 seconds. (Barbarian Only)
Reduces cooldown of Wrath of the Berserker by 10-20 seconds. (Barbarian Only)
Reduces resource cost of Rage Skills by 25-50 Fury. (Barbarian Only)
+13-15 Maximum Fury (Barbarian Only)
Reduces cooldown of Rain of Vengeance by 3-9 seconds. (Demon Hunter Only)
Reduces resource cost of Secondary Skills by 12-20%. (Demon Hunter Only)
Increases Attack Speed of Archery Skills by 12-20%. (Demon Hunter Only)
Reduces cooldown of Preparation by 6-10 seconds. (Demon Hunter Only)
+9-10 Maximum Discipline (Demon Hunter Only)
Reduces resource cost of Cyclone Strike by 20 Spirit. (Monk Only)
Reduces resource cost of Sweeping Wind by 25 Spirit. (Monk Only)
Increases Mystic Ally Damage by 35-50%. (Monk Only)
Reduces cooldown of Seven-Sided Strike by 3-9 seconds. (Monk Only)
Increases Spirit Regeneration by 1.00-2.33 per Second (Monk Only)
Reduces cooldown of Summon Zombie Dogs by 3-9 seconds. (Witch Doctor Only)
Reduces cooldown of Fetish Army by 10-20 seconds. (Witch Doctor Only)
Reduces cooldown of Big Bad Voodoo by 10-20 seconds. (Witch Doctor Only)
Increases Mana Regeneration by 11-15 per second. (Witch Doctor Only)
+155–169 Maximum Mana (Witch Doctor Only)
Reduces resource cost of Secondary Skills by 4-6 Arcane Power. (Wizard Only)
Reduces cooldown of Archon by 10-20 seconds. (Wizard Only)
Reduces cooldown of Teleport by 4-6 seconds. (Wizard Only)
Increases Life of Mirror Images by 35-50%. (Wizard Only)
+13-15 Maximum Arcane Power (Wizard Only)

Critical Hit Chance Increased by 3–6%
empty socket
So much work and passion to make this game a bit better, yet almost no attention.
bump for more opinions.
from the EU forum:

+1

Make all legendaries worth it to some extent. Less random properties, and at least one affix on the legend which is a better roll than possible on a rare.

I want to find a level 63 legend, and know that the possibility is good that it will replace one of my rares (unless the rare is godly, which none of mine are).

You really have nice ideas and some of those would be great, just adding dps affixes wouldnt work. Need more diversity(not just ehp/dps) and this is doing opposite.

PPS. Above helm is good example what we need more :P

i agree, but only to some point - actually we need both. there should be more items with resource regen / reduced cooldowns, boosting certain skills / builds and more items with dps affixes, since the game is heavily based on them - only that would vastly increase diversity.

there should be valid options like improved frostburn gauntlets, magefist and that redesigned helm of command, but you need to balance that with some critical hit chance and damage on other items, unless you'll drastically change the game mechanics (and you know, that it won't happen).

Also, the skills should be improved more by reducing cooldowns and resource cost, increasing duration, rather than just boosting the damage. We need this in order to encourage less focus on DPS and more focus on a specific build. This way we would improve not only gear diversity, but also build diversity.

good point, but this is all a matter of balance, just as i stated in reply above. for example, this would be extremely problematic and difficult to implement in a proper way:

1) Giving the Wizard's Critical Mass passive to certain skills. Example: "Each critical hit has a chance to reduce the cooldown of Call of the Ancients by 1 second"

2) Seeing as how important and desirable lifesteal is, we could also give that to some skills. Example: "Way of the hundred fists converts 2% of dmg to life."

that wizard perk is a major problem and reason why proc rates of wizard skills are so low. it would bring a very serious balancing issues and i wouldn't recommend it - there are other ways to buff skills that aren't usable atm - you can check this topic for more info: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6083128442

life steal is already here and there, and i've adressed lack of it in certain builds / classes by adding holy belts for monks and gladiator gauntlets for other classes. please read the first post for additional info, it is powerful affix so you need to be careful not to put it everywhere.

Another thing that always bugged me and would like to see is having all the special effects of legendaries SCALE WITH your DPS. As far as I know most legendary effects (if not ALL) currently don't scale with dps. And this is bad, because it makes them usable only when you're a fresh level 60, sometimes not even then.
I really like the "haunting" effect of Band of Hollow Whispers, the "earth-splitting" effect of Cataclysm, the fiery footsteps on Fire Walkers, the lightning of Schaeffer's Hammer, the "repel" effect on Azurewrath etc .. but as if it wasn't enough that all these items are hopelessly outmatched by other (BiS) items, the special effects they have also don't scale with dps... yet another nail in their coffin.

this is exactly what i'm thinking. we all love on hit effects and those should be buffed in one way or another; i've even tweaked few in my main post. what is more, we could even have flexible item level, so you could actually play with Cataclysm on any difficulty (would roll adjusted stats). i've proposed that here: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5848176597

thx for your feedback guys!
01/08/2013 08:02 AMPosted by Greymateria
There will always be a BIS for a specific build.

Yes, but currently it's for all the classes no matter the build.
Which one is better ?