Sweeping Wind snapshot mechanics guide

Monk
01/02/2013 10:45 PMPosted by Elcarim
Does SW snapshot capture special effects on gear like Sledge fist's 40% chance to stun?

No, its proc coefficient is 0, so even if it did, it wouldn't matter. Sweeping wind doesn't trigger any on-hit effects.
I've taken advantage of SW mechanics for a long time, and agree it needs to be fixed, but extensively using macros (and violating service terms) to push it to another level is another story. no respect

Hope you and all the scrubs you're encouraging to abuse the mechanics by utilizing macros gets banned.

28s mp10 azmo is pathetic for switching 3 sets of gear and using macros. lol.

Last time I checked I did mp10 azmo in 16s - no macros, 2 sets (not even), same routine/setup I use to farm with. cheers
I've taken advantage of SW mechanics for a long time, and agree it needs to be fixed, but extensively using macros (and violating service terms) to push it to another level is another story. no respect

Hope you and all the scrubs you're encouraging to abuse the mechanics by utilizing macros gets banned.

Last time I checked I did mp10 azmo in 16s - no macros, 2 sets (not even), same routine/setup I use to farm with. cheers

+1

Good for you. My gear probably isn't as good. I'm relatively new compared to your crew, only really found out about all this a month ago. I'm not posting to brag - people were just looking for info and rehashing a lot of the same (partially bad) info on Reddit, Neogaf and others.

Was your 16 seconds in an Inna's set? Using a mempo/witching hour for the kill would obviously be faster but not so practical for farming. Same story for Flying Dragon.

Do you see any incorrect info in the guide? Worth a shot asking. You made claims like that in other threads but never really backed it up. No reason to doubt it's true, but no one can learn much from that.
I read the guide, but i'm still confused on how your supposed to do this? How can I make a macro to switch between 3 sets of gear? Can anyone give me some inisight? =p

Also if I don't want to switch between 3 sets of gear, what should I switch to give me the maximum benefit of TR rushing?
I read the guide, but i'm still confused on how your supposed to do this? How can I make a macro to switch between 3 sets of gear? Can anyone give me some inisight? =p

Also if I don't want to switch between 3 sets of gear, what should I switch to give me the maximum benefit of TR rushing?
here add me and we meet in game, i will give you a link, than you install a program when it give you a pop up. and.....lol
The macro part is overkill, and really hard to set up. You can get a big chunk of the benefit from a few items.

High attack speed builds benefit from it the most - in that case, it comes from the crossover of high weapon damage snapshot to high attack speed combat.

For perma-Tempest Rush, casting with a life steal skorn and then switching to a really high DPS skorn would help a lot on its own.
Do I need a life steal skorn? They are so expensive as !@#$. What few items would be the biggest help? Yeah the macro part seems to be super hard to set up and I wouldn't know how to do it without a macro. Swapping 3 knids of gear in a spam of 3 seconds is ridicolous!
01/03/2013 07:02 PMPosted by Crazyeight
What few items would be the biggest help?

Rings and amulet with average damage, dex and crit damage. This would help a lot for the sweeping wind portion. If you can get attack speed on them as well, that's nice, but that's just for the blinding flash part (relatively less overall impact for the big price jump).
Thanks so much for the informative guide Raticus!--I've come to find out I've been swapping wrong this whole time!

So here's my question: is the extra buff (24/48 or whatever it is) from the first few seconds of overawe also captured in either snapshot?
What are your thoughts on Witching hour vs Inna's belt for the snapshot? I have both already, should I swap them after flash or after SW?

For the guy above me, overawe is a debuff on enemies rather than a buff on yourself, so it doesn't apply to the snapshot.
since SW snapshots life steal, what if you snap shot the life steal (6%) then switch to 2 other weapons with life steal (3 each)? does it add on top of the life steal already snapped which a total of 12%??
No. You would only have 6% from the original snapshot. You can however snap LS then switch to LOH and you will gain the benefits from both.
01/06/2013 01:23 PMPosted by AyChrono
since SW snapshots life steal, what if you snap shot the life steal (6%) then switch to 2 other weapons with life steal (3 each)? does it add on top of the life steal already snapped which a total of 12%??
with ppl using macro to exploit the skill, it will get fix soon.
Macros of this sort are against the terms of service. It's that simple.

Yes, they are. Blizzard doesn't appear to be choosing to enforce it in this case, since there are many who openly admit to doing it since release (either for this or magic find swap). So, it's a judgement call. What I'm trying to say is that mechanics that drive this sort of behaviour should be fixed where possible.

The same concepts apply when swapping a few items manually. Once you know how it all works, there's that drive to "do more" for power gamers, which isn't a good kind of conflict to have.

Just getting the information out there, since it's obvious people are trying to retain an advantage by burying it.

maybe because its not against the ToU that they seem to not be doing anything. automation software is specifically called out as "bots". item swap macros are not bots.

as far as the item swapping itself.. blizzard doesnt care. they have stated in the past (MF gear swapping) that they are not against the practice.

edit:
if they wanted to fix it to work differently it wouldnt be hard at all. they would just have to change it to a non-refreshable buff and make it 120s duration. look at demon hunter Chakram:Shuriken Cloud for a good example of this. it snapshots your gear, but if you cast it again then it snapshots your gear again.
using macro to swap gears is automated from the mouse, lol. its an exploit now since macro is found using with SW.
01/03/2013 07:02 PMPosted by Crazyeight
Do I need a life steal skorn? They are so expensive as !@#$.

you can do it cheaper like me whitout the LS skorn
hint: flying dragon/LOH = )
^edited the above ..

this wil most likely get nerf in one way or another though since everyone is crying over it ... don't know why since I crit for 1Mill dmg per HoTA hit (in non WoTB mode so 2 Mil with it?) .... just not fair to monks = (
These mechanics are exactly the same as demon hunter's "shadow power" skill, except the difference is a lot more obvious, but much more tedious to take advantage of (within Blizz ToS) lol

I've been complaining about this mechanic (for shadow power, I just learned about sweeping wind) since a couple weeks after release, but it still hasn't been changed

so I think it might stay for a while unless these threads get too much attention/rage. Besides, just convert 100mil gold (<1 item flip) to $ and buy the Diablo 3 mouse and you're good to go
Damn, messed around with this last night and its tough to pull off in its fullest effect since the FD proc only lasts for a few seconds (anyone know exactly how many?) and is unpredictable as to when it will proc. This alone wouldn't be such a problem but when collapsed into the 3 second time window that combo strike is active, !@#$ gets really difficult. you have 30 on DR which is not a problem but trying to reliably get the fd to proc with the 3 sec combo strike zone can take far to long too be practicl on higher mps since you have to be hitting mobs the whole time for CS to proc.

Anyone have any advice on how to simplify this procedure?
4 pc Inna is what's lame!

Oh wait, I use it.