Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower

Monk
Just a footnote: Fists of Fury grants +0.05 attacks per second per stack, not 5% IAS.
12/19/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Vrkhyz
Just a footnote: Fists of Fury grants +0.05 attacks per second per stack, not 5% IAS.

which works out much better... doesn't it? i'm not much of a number cruncher, sorry. i just play by feel most of the time... well, actually i do use d3up to check out upgrades, but can't be bothered to figure out the exact figures of the mechanics of the skills. we leave that for people like you Vrkhyz!
12/20/2012 03:17 AMPosted by MrMojoRisin
which works out much better... doesn't it? i'm not much of a number cruncher, sorry. i just play by feel most of the time... well, actually i do use d3up to check out upgrades, but can't be bothered to figure out the exact figures of the mechanics of the skills. we leave that for people like you Vrkhyz!

Allow me to elaborate, then. IAS modifiers are additive, so the first 5% increase you get is worth just as many attacks per second as the second. If your attack speed is 1.20, a 5% increase boosts your attack speed by 0.06 to 1.20; if you add another 5%, your attack speed is increased by another 0.06 to 1.32.

At 1.00, the bonuses for Focused Mind (+0.03 APS) and Blazing Fists (+0.05 APS per stack) are equivalent to 3% and 5%, respectively. If the attack speed on your weapons is higher than this, it's worth less; if it's lower, it's worth more. For example, 3% of 1.20 is 0.036, but Focused Mind adds only 0.03 attacks per second. Similarly, 5% of 1.20 is 0.06, but Blazing Fists adds only 0.05 APS. As most monks do not use 0.90 APS weapons, and many two-handed monks are using a TR build and thus don't usually pick Blazing Fists, it's not as good to overwhelming majority of monks who might consider it, especially in Combi-Strike builds. The difference isn't huge--like I said, it's a footnote, but it's less than 1%--but it's there. I wrote that note as part of the long campaign to get monks to talk about it as what it is :)
oh... so my high attack speed means it's actually not as much of a boost to me than it would be otherwise?
12/20/2012 05:09 AMPosted by MrMojoRisin
oh... so my high attack speed means it's actually not as much of a boost to me than it would be otherwise?

Correct.
  • If your attack speed is below 1.00, you'd prefer +0.03 APS and +0.05 APS to +3% IAS and +5% IAS.
  • If your attack speed is exactly 1.00, they're identical.
  • If your attack speed is above 1.00, you'd prefer +3% IAS and +5% IAS to +0.03 APS and +0.05 APS.

Also, copy-and-paste is a great feature! :)
I want this.
missing Inna's pants.
Making a note to try this later!
Very cool build, thanks to everyone that contributed with it.

I swapped Fleet Footted passive for Seize the Initiative as I already have 24% speed from gear but my armor/resists are not that great.
I hate my EF sometimes, I really need the teleport latch on due to my fear, sometimes I think it limits my spirit generator choice.

Interesting build OP, might test it once bells are buffed to PTR levels!
Question: would a shield with nice defensive stats and high crit chance be good for this build?

I think I'm lacking in the defensive side of things when dual-wielding. By lacking I mean 700 AR with OWE and 5k armor with STI.