1.0.7. - HUGE nerf to monks, even further kill diversit

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
01/16/2013 01:10 AMPosted by AdHoc
Come back when you'll play your monk for more than 5 hours. Thanks.

Only thing you can mean is the snapshot which is an exploitative mechanic which got fixed, so you can't use your bonus %dmg from skills runes like Blinding Flash's Faith in the Light Permanently. Instead they will work with your sweeping wind while they are active as intended... Sounds to me like you just wanted to keep up the exploit.
I think the OP is referring to the Blinding Flash Buff that lasts only 3 seconds.
With the snapshot system it would buff SW indefinetly.

To me, though, getting rid of this mechanic is actually a good thing.
At the moment I need to make sure all of my buffs are up before I cast SW or I will waste half of my spirit, with 1.0.7 I will be able to buff myself even after casting SW and it will reflect my actual DPS.
Lets give the PTR more time and people a chance to do some testing and number crunching before assuming anything too drastic.

I didn't use blinding light for high mp, but did for TR farming. I would imagine the TR buff and SW buff would compensate enough for this, plus there's more xp per mp level, so that should be ok. As for higher mp, like I said, I never used BF, but still was getting 250k buffed before conviction and sweeping wind on mp10, which was plenty, and I'm not even godly geared I don't think.

I think your concern is valid, but lets wait and see what people have to say once they've tested it more.
I think the OP is referring to the Blinding Flash Buff that lasts only 3 seconds.
With the snapshot system it would buff SW indefinetly.

To me, though, getting rid of this mechanic is actually a good thing.
At the moment I need to make sure all of my buffs are up before I cast SW or I will waste half of my spirit, with 1.0.7 I will be able to buff myself even after casting SW and it will reflect my actual DPS.

I agree with you, removing this system is great, if it only wouldn't nerf our eDPS SO MUCH.

Lets give the PTR more time and people a chance to do some testing and number crunching before assuming anything too drastic.

I didn't use blinding light for high mp, but did for TR farming. I would imagine the TR buff and SW buff would compensate enough for this, plus there's more xp per mp level, so that should be ok. As for higher mp, like I said, I never used BF, but still was getting 250k buffed before conviction and sweeping wind on mp10, which was plenty, and I'm not even godly geared I don't think.

I think your concern is valid, but lets wait and see what people have to say once they've tested it more.

I've been crumbling these numbers all morning and I must say ... it doesn't look good. Either that or I made a terrible mistake in my calculations, but I doubt it is the latter.

EDIT: On the other hand, monks will now be really good exp farmers. Even better than before. But that doesn't mean anything to me, I already have a monk at para 100 and in long term it shouldn't matter as much to any monk either, because sooner or later we will all be in this end-game position.
I think the OP is referring to the Blinding Flash Buff that lasts only 3 seconds.With the snapshot system it would buff SW indefinetly.

Exactly. He was making it out to be something else. 50% and
01/16/2013 01:06 AMPosted by AdHoc
Snapshot system =/= gear swap system

But really it was the same thing. Using certain gear to get the increased dps snapshot is the same thing as using the skills.. lol
BUFF our healing mechanism through LPSS (so it scales like LS) and spirit regeneration capabilities, so we wouldn't have to gear up like barbs any more-add a good and new passive, since we're the only class that have this little

I agree with this completely though, thought I would mention that at least so we can have a better discussion about what should be changed.
01/16/2013 01:21 AMPosted by AdHoc
I agree with you, removing this system is great, if it only wouldn't nerf our eDPS SO MUCH
That's because you relied on that system too much.

To me it's actually a burden because I can keep up my buffs virtually indefinetly.
So the future patch will bring only positive changes to people like me who never used that system to inflate artificial eDPS, as you call them.
01/16/2013 01:28 AMPosted by Deus
I agree with you, removing this system is great, if it only wouldn't nerf our eDPS SO MUCH
That's because you relied on that system too much.

To me it's actually a burden because I can keep up my buffs virtually indefinetly.
So the future patch will bring only positive changes to people like me who never used that system to inflate artificial eDPS, as you call them.

OK, great. So you now have a build that will output about the same DPS as the one with snapshotting cyclones, right? If you don't, then 1.0.7. is a nerf to monks. Which means the title of this topic is correct. Or?
what is this snapshot thingy?
TBH, I agree with AdHoc here. as a monk player, am somewhat happy the snapshot mechanic has gone. but tbh, I only used it with the blinding flash and/or Breath of Heaven. It's only recently that it got attention due to the use of macros.

Ideally I would have like them to keep the snapshot with skills only and then dynamically change with gear swap ...or easier, just cancel SW on a gear swap.

Lasty, passives need to be worked on and the cost of skills is still too high on some.
01/16/2013 01:30 AMPosted by Xuu

as far as i understand it works like this (i dont actually use this exploit so please let me know if any of this is incorrect)

basically, when sweeping wind is cast, whatever your DPS is at the time, is how much damage your cyclones will do, so players equip say.. a skorn with huge damage + 300% crit, use all there skill buffs, like blinding flash, blazing wrath, then cast sweeping wind... then switch weapons to a high attack speed weapon.. because obviously cyclones wont spawn at a fast rate with a slow weapon.

you end up with monks spawning insane amounts of cyclones a due to the high attack speed of the weapon they are now using, and the cyclones are doing the damage based off the skorn + skill buffs. effectively doing millions of damage a second, thats why you see monks owning mp10 with a 15 dps, 1.8 attack speed dagger.

as long as you have the inna's set, which reduces the spirit cost of sweeping wind to 5 or 10? spirit.. you can keep recasting sweeping wind before it runs out. which keeps it up for long periods of time.

its an unintended exploit / bug.. and noobs that use it are QQing because its being fixed this patch.
Weegee, most monks agree with this anyway. Protests are barbs and wizards mostly.

I would also love to see snapshot mechanic removed but not by costing us so much DPS :/ Gear swap cancel would be a really good solution and many of us suggested it, but of course that wasn't implemented. Implemented was probably the worst solution to this "problem".

Next patch: nerf of OWE. Is there anything really left of monk as a class then? Gear will be exactly the same to barbs, except stack dex instead of STR and use inna's instead of immortals.

How is this a positive thing to anyone? I'm really trying to build a synergetic monk and not a barb - meaning high attack speed for spirit regen and LPSS, but I'm crippling myself, buying top rolled gear that is not even remotely optimal just so I wouldn't have to build like all other classes do. Is this really what Blizzard wants with classes?

01/16/2013 01:45 AMPosted by brenzA

as far as i understand it works like this (i dont actually use this exploit so please let me know if any of this is incorrect)

basically, when sweeping wind is cast, whatever your DPS is at the time, is how much damage your cyclones will do, so players equip say.. a skorn with huge damage + 300% crit, use all there skill buffs, like blinding flash, blazing wrath, then cast sweeping wind... then switch weapons to a high attack speed weapon.. because obviously cyclones wont spawn at a fast rate with a slow weapon.

you end up with monks spawning insane amounts of cyclones a due to the high attack speed of the weapon they are now using, and the cyclones are doing the damage based off the skorn + skill buffs. effectively doing millions of damage a second, thats why you see monks owning mp10 with a 15 dps, 1.8 attack speed dagger.

as long as you have the inna's set, which reduces the spirit cost of sweeping wind to 5 or 10? spirit.. you can keep recasting sweeping wind before it runs out. which keeps it up for long periods of time.

Roughly, this is correct. There are two ways to use snapshot, though - not switch gear, just simply buff yourself through skills and activate cyclones. This is something most monks would like to see unchanged. Second way was with gear swap as you wrote above and most monks agree it's an exploit that needed fixing. Mostly, even the barbs I've discussed this with, agree that solution to this problem by cancelling snapshot when gear changes is an appropriate fix.

I'm sure even more monks would like to see this mechanic COMPLETELY removed, but not by gimping our dps so much.
Yeah... Monks were nerfed so bad that they're getting owned in pvp duel.
Now seriously, stop complaining. Monks were buffed a lot.
I'm with you buddy! I was so disappointed when they nerfed the invulnerable Wizard build from casting Archon and Teleport at the same time. I relied on it so much and it was perfectly balanced and legitimate, I don't see why they had to go and nerf it.
01/15/2013 11:48 PMPosted by AdHoc
I think you're forgetting that every single class in this game has skills to buff their CC/CHD/AS except monks.

OP's thought - "Barb, wiz, DH and of course monk. Check, all classes."
Yeah... Monks were nerfed so bad that they're getting owned in pvp duel.
Now seriously, stop complaining. Monks were buffed a lot.

That's the whole point, monks got NERFED not BUFFED. Things are not as simple as they seem, you can't just read patch notes and assume from that.
01/16/2013 01:49 AMPosted by TheMaster627
I'm with you buddy! I was so disappointed when they nerfed the invulnerable Wizard build from casting Archon and Teleport at the same time. I relied on it so much and it was perfectly balanced and legitimate, I don't see why they had to go and nerf it.

Ohhh you don't know jack about monks and thought it would be funny to post oh I get it. You're one of those people who love to comment on things they have no idea about.

I think you're forgetting that every single class in this game has skills to buff their CC/CHD/AS except monks.

OP's thought - "Barb, wiz, DH and of course monk. Check, all classes."

WD has voodoo. Your point?
Dude @#!#%%!%%!? I checked your profile, from a plvl 100 monk i was expecting something else than you wrote.

1. We got way more skills to buff our dmg (even if it is for a short time)
- Deadly Reach : Foresight
- Way of the Hundred Fists : Blazing Fists
- Blinding Flash : Faith in the Light
- Breath of Heaven : Blazing Wrath
- Combination Strike

2. It was good that the snapshot system has been fixed.

I don't think that my dps will fall. Instead of Blinding Flash i am gonna use Breath of Heaven now and the dmg from SW and Cyclone Rune has been buffed.
________________________________________________________________________________
Acronyms and their meaning: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7004698754
The new way of making every Legendary viable: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7199033719
Idea: White/Blue Items and Crafting Fix: http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/7167576791
Monk Build: The Dual Wielded Lawn Mower: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415641623
Phew, got trolled there for a sec.
I thought they'd nerfed the monks,but they just removed an exploit for people using buff loopholes to have more dps than they actually have :)

Your problem OP is thinking there's any real diversity to start with. This game is based on cookie cutter templates for characters and defined se tof items to use for each class with a slight change in weapons depending on dualwield, board and sword or 2H.

I gave up expecting anything for this game a long time ago, its the equivalent of playing the pokies now. I jump on for a run or two every second night on the hopes of finding something to put on RMAH.

That is the extent of my enjoyment of the game.