gem update wasn't quite what I was hoping for

General Discussion
Ahhh, the good old days.
Is the new RUBY really going to compete with EMERALDS in weapons?
01/12/2013 07:33 AMPosted by Dirk
Is the new RUBY really going to compete with EMERALDS in weapons?

yah, really.
Too early to tell.

Stop assuming.

:P
I think Blizzard has the right idea adding a new gem to the game, I just believe this is the wrong way to do it. Instead of another tier of gem, what we need is this;

1.) New categories of gems that add new abilities or modify your character in some unique way. I personally think these gems should be drops, but there are a lot of ways you could handle this, I suppose.

2.) more gem slots, and in more gear. I think it's too small as is, and I feel like if you open this up more, you could seriously expand on the customization if you integrate idea 1.

Blizzard needs to expand their thinking but it doenst seem to be happening.

Now that may be because they don't want to overshadow a future expansion.
I'd rather have 2-3 extra options, or at least have the current options properly balanced (unlike the stupidly overpowered emerald on weapons) instead of an additional tier i can't afford for not playing AH tycoon.
01/12/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Blashyrkh
I'd rather have 2-3 extra options, or at least have the current options properly balanced (unlike the stupidly overpowered emerald on weapons) instead of an additional tier i can't afford for not playing AH tycoon.

They actually changed the Ruby for attack speed, but unless i'ts a huge amount I can hardly see it competing with crit damage.
01/12/2013 12:28 PMPosted by Mist3rHyde
They actually changed the Ruby for attack speed, but unless i'ts a huge amount I can hardly see it competing with crit damage.

No, a Ruby will not get Attack Speed, it will get increased Damage, the affix it already has.
01/12/2013 12:39 PMPosted by Vresiberba

No, a Ruby will not get Attack Speed, it will get increased Damage, the affix it already has.

Hmmm you might be right, my bad. It's gotta be a big buff though. The best thing would be for Blizzard to make a % damage buff, instead of raw numbers.