Seven Years in Sanctuary

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 124 125 126 225 Next
I wish nothing but the best for Mr. Wilson. He will only grow and get better as a result of this experience.

My fundamental issue with the game as it stands today is the direction taken with its in-game economy. Making gold the currency I believe undermines the game in many ways, some of which quite subtle.

To Mr. Pardo, please read this 'Dev Diary' post by Grinding Gear Game's Chris Wilson (no relation to Jay Wilson) on the "Rethinking Gold as a Currency". I found it fascinating and insightful, and I think you will too. This article, in my opinion, speaks to the issues that I believe are keeping D3 from becoming a truly great game.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55102

What ever you next decision is, I wish you luck and great success. I am eager to see how D3 evolves and matures. At some point, I will probably come back to the franchise, but I'm still waiting and watching for more compelling game-play incentives.
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

LOL

The Diablo community has been waiting for D3 for years yet you guys removed features that are important and loved by the community, and also killed a character that the fans were expecting to stay in D3 (or loved, at least give him an epic death scene for Christ's sake?) .

Why have you guys shunned away from the formula that Blizzard North used for Diablo 2? A formula that was working for more than 10 years.

And seriously why are you guys so obsessed on creating on your OWN Diablo that is so far from the Diablo 2 that the community loved and enjoyed playing for years. Did your team created Diablo 3 and stripped all the features/classes from Diablo 2 just for your pride against David Brevik's team? Or maybe just to generate more money? Seriously? You can't stop the blame here, the community have been loud and vocal on the suggestions even before beta, have you tried listening to us? Where have you been all this time?
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Excellent post. Don't worry too much about the people on this forum.

I pretty much hate Diablo 3 compared to the previous two games. Don't get me wrong though, its a great game and far better than the previous two games in many ways. It just just a dying genre and no amount of changes will make people enjoy something they want to play due to nostalgia.

This game is excellent and everyone on the team should be proud of the work they put into it. Including Jay. Endless RNG and grinding is just not fun gameplay for the majority of modern gamers.
01/18/2013 08:14 PMPosted by Starblazer
Delete that stupid, embarrassing whimsyshire level.

It was meant to be a joke. It's not even a part of the official Diablo 3 story or game. If you don't like it, simply don't play it. It's amazing how so many people got so mad over Whimsyshire (sp?). It was like the Cow Level in Diablo 2. It's entirely optional, and basically just a cute feature that you can completely ignore if you want to.

I was also shocked to see how many forum members were so furious at Jay Wilson. Diablo 3 is a good game, but even if you don't like it, it still isn't justified to personally attack one of the game developers. If you must, bash the game, but don't attack real world people.

I know it was meant as a joke, and I know it's like the cow level from D2, a game i've been playing since its release. It's still stupid and embarrassing.

D3 is NOT a good game. It's all about endlessly farming gold and buying gear from the auction houses, which completely defeats of the purpose of playing Diablo, a fact that JW and Rob seems to not care about. That's just one of the many painful problems with this game.
01/18/2013 08:56 PMPosted by Murderin
I pretty much hate Diablo 3 compared to the previous two games.

01/18/2013 08:56 PMPosted by Murderin
Don't get me wrong though, its a great game and far better than the previous two games.

Hypocite much?
I'm still waiting for the game that was demo'd in, what, 2007? "These new axes are enchanted with frost and electricity, enhancing their damage and allowing them to stun and freeze enemies." Yes, I watched the video so much I know these words from memory.

Five years spent so excited I barely kept my head on straight through grad school and this is what we get. Garbage. Yes, I'm bitter, and sad, and probably overly critical. And yeah I might be an internet tough guy and a jerk and a loser.

But this game has so much potential, it just wastes it. Hopefully whoever is hired to replace JW will have some good ideas.

Good luck, sir. /salute
I pretty much hate Diablo 3 compared to the previous two games.

Don't get me wrong though, its a great game and far better than the previous two games.

Hypocite much?

Its not hypocrisy. The game is excellent, but the genre is dead and not fun anymore. Im pretty bad at wording things.
01/18/2013 08:57 PMPosted by Paganblade

It was meant to be a joke. It's not even a part of the official Diablo 3 story or game. If you don't like it, simply don't play it. It's amazing how so many people got so mad over Whimsyshire (sp?). It was like the Cow Level in Diablo 2. It's entirely optional, and basically just a cute feature that you can completely ignore if you want to.

I was also shocked to see how many forum members were so furious at Jay Wilson. Diablo 3 is a good game, but even if you don't like it, it still isn't justified to personally attack one of the game developers. If you must, bash the game, but don't attack real world people.

I know it was meant as a joke, and I know it's like the cow level from D2, a game i've been playing since its release. It's still stupid and embarrassing.

D3 is NOT a good game. It's all about endlessly farming gold and buying gear from the auction houses, which completely defeats of the purpose of playing Diablo, a fact that JW and Rob seems to not care about. That's just one of the many painful problems with this game.

Quit whining and play hardcore then; it'll fix a lot of your issues.
I hope people are happy now. Anyway, thank you for the game sir and good luck.
01/18/2013 08:16 PMPosted by vexorian
Delete that stupid, embarrassing whimsyshire level.
Why would it be embarassing? You don't feel manly when playing it? lol.
Couldn't blizzard leave it there , buff it maybe. So that people who might like it would play it? You would not *have* to play it. They could then add a new secret level with raining skeletons and decapitated pigs to honor your testosterone.

no i don't feel manly being in a surreal nightmare episode of my little pony. I want to kill cows marching at me with halberds and going MOOO! moooooo! MoOoOoO!!

Just the fact that whimsyshire exists is an affront to everything that was great about Diablo.
It was a waste of development time.

Quit whining and play hardcore then; it'll fix a lot of your issues.

From what I hear, hardcore is a bigger problem because you end up losing everything you gained to constant server lag.
Empires rise, Empires fall.

6 Stages:

1. Pioneers
2. Conquest
3. Commerce
4. Affluence
5. Intellect
6. Decadence

You decide where Blizzard currently is ;)
It wasn't a joke. It was meant to be a "look at what I can do" slap in the face to diablo fans who criticized the graphical direction the dev team were taking, and a COLOSSAL waste of development time & resources.Know how Act 4 seems incomplete? The time would have been better spent there, or in numerous other areas of the game. IMO

agree 100%
thats how seriously critical feedback was taken by dev team...