Seven Years in Sanctuary

Blizzard Archive
Prev 1 185 186 187 225 Next
Well i don't like the trend on "online social platforms" to flame/insult/what ever almost everyone in the internet for everything.

But i must admit, that the frustration about some serious problems in Diablo 3 is very understandable at some points.

Face it:
- Diablo 3 was (and still is) an unfinished product which is (was?) NOT typical for Blizzard-Games before...
- there are so many features still missing that were promised and/or cut out during beta
- the itemization/drop/loot/etc system is one big epic fail and as long as you refuse to fix (read: redesign it from scratch) the people wont stop flaming about the AH/RMAH issue
Playing/farming for hours/days/weeks results in ZERO "good" items. Even with medicore gear. I quited playing after i realized that even after hours of gameplay and hundrets of yellow drops i do not even get ONE single item that i could use my self or at least sell in the AH. You are FORCED to use the AH/RMAH in order to gear up.
- many people (me included) still don't understand why it is not possible to switch through acts at will via waypoints just as it was possible in Diablo 2 and D2:LOD. the "quest system" of Diablo 3 with its restrictions just sucks (after you have reached level 60)

What i can say for sure is that you (Blizzard) lost me as a customer on the Diablo franchise. I will not bother buying any D3 related addons as long as D3 stays in its current state (see issues mentioned above).
Ulathar, you right.

01/21/2013 05:52 AMPosted by Ulathar
I will not bother buying any D3 related addons as long as D3 stays in its current state (see issues mentioned above).
01/21/2013 04:47 AMPosted by quorthan
Bliz ruins one of the best lore in game history.

This is a good game, good replayability. But its pink. And people expected an epic game with endless replayability. And it was to be Dark and Violent like D1 and D2.

Story and theme..... Go make popcorn and watch old D2 cinematics if you cant remember. You tube has them.

In D3 we have...
Pink cartoons, Butterfly attack. GOGOGOGO.

My little pony. I have no words for the magnitude of this particular fail. Just kno that is immense beyond description.

This is meant to be a Fantasy-Horror RPG.
Could you guys not have given us Tal Rasha's Tomb to raid rather? U dont think that would be more fitting than a rainbow and ponyland?

Honestly, when i first saw links of the ponyland i thought it was an attempt to make the game look bad. "Lol this is an obvious fake" Thats wht i thought.

When i order salami and i get given chicken............ I dont care if its the best Chicken in the world. Fact is i wanted Salami.

Why could you guys not have done the same as SC2 did and continue the legacy?

SC2 is basically SC1 with upgraded graphics. And people love it for that. Why deviate soo far from the original?
D2 was well loved and going strong for 10 years. Why change everything soo dramatically?

At least the music and sound are extremely pleasant. Got that one right.
Mr. Pardo....After reading your post, I have still not changed my mind. In fact, I hold you additionally responsible for the snail's pace progression this game has taken. By making the statement you did with the "buck stops here", perhaps you should also consider what's best for the game.

Do you realize that 8 months after release that there are still achievements that cannot be obtained? Why is this?!?

The lines of communication in my opinion are horrible. We truly have no idea what you are working on or planning. This goes beyond the standard Bliz secrecy about future promises and the trademark Soon. I'm actually ok with "Soon". I'm not ok with, "...its on our to-do list and we're working through the numerous other issues that you're not aware of."

I really think y'all need some additional help on this project. I'm an outsider, I know. But, this slow turnover of issues stinks of lack of manpower to me. I'd bet you have top of the line folks - but I think you need to consider a literal Act III type swarm of people you contract out to blow through the chaff so that you can work on the progression of the game. All this Activision Bureaucracy has got to be a major PITA. Pre-Bliz was leaner and didn't have all these hoops to jump through. (again just my opinion)

Its also my opinion that you pull in some additional Bliz North folks. They seem to be much more connected with what the community wants. I don't want Diablo II all over again. But, the map randomization it had made each game unique to me. Now, I know where to go for everything and if I don't, I can just look it up on a wiki. As a matter of fact, I've gotta head to the Oasis and farm to that Staff of Herding drop.
If Mr. Pardo wants blame...so be it: you hired the wrong guy for the task. (actually wrote a long message in a nice fashion but of course it timed out...I wonder if I can purchase more time from the RMAH).

Short and sweet is more my style anyway. :)
Goodbye. You've ruined Diablo
He's being booed off stage. That's part of working in the entertainment industry. When you screw up in the spotlight it hurts your reputation and career, and this guy played a key part in a lot of the Diablo III mistakes.
The change may come with a better direction for Diablo III so naturally fans are going to be happy about it. I'm not normally the sort of person who insists people grow a thicker skin but this comes with the job (although he probably already has since he's not the one responding here).
Games, movies, TV, music, etc are not above criticism just because they're made by people. When you make a sequel to a popular work you go in knowing that fans can have this sort of response, especially with an epic franchise like Diablo. You may not like how that feedback looks when things go this badly on this scale but it's important that it's there so Blizzard can learn from it for their next game.

If I were him I'd accept that I screwed up, stay off the forums and try to avoid the same mistakes on my next project. I understand a lot of these mistakes were out of his hands, but next time he's getting pressured to do that sort of stuff he just has to point at the forums and say 'this is the response we got last time it happened, I think doing it [this way] will get a better result'.
thanks mate and good luck bud

Posted in this thread on page 106 by the Chief Creative Officer, Rob Pardo.

This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.

I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise.

I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.

If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

OK! great, you mr. senior exec at least are taking personal accountability. Positive step in the right direction!

From my extensive IT project experience (15 years) seriously consider the following:

--> Provide a high level plan, road map, view, of what you and the D3 team intend to implement over the next 12 months.

That shows planning, a statement of direction, commitment!

Or will there be continued general statements like "we have many plans for D3" with no substance?

Prove to the community that you, as the CCO, can manage the expectations!

Now, let us see if and how you respond :)

D3 remains my game of choice!

All of the best........
01/21/2013 06:23 AMPosted by cristi47
Goodbye. You've ruined Diablo

/signed. You won't be missed Jay, you killed an unkillable game series.
If Mr. Pardo wants blame...so be it: you hired the wrong guy for the task. (actually wrote a long message in a nice fashion but of course it timed out...I wonder if I can purchase more time from the RMAH).

Short and sweet is more my style anyway. :)

It won't matter what Mr. Pardo says. Hell, even Mike Morhaime tried to draw the heat several months ago. The flames still gunned for JW.

In the end, this was probably the best and only move for both Blizzard and JW.
Even Tim over at Ctrl-Alt-Del thinks this isn't a true sequel:

I'm on of the people who enjoyed Diablo 3 for a while, for what it was. I never felt like it was really a true sequel to Diablo 2, but I had fun with it for a bit

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/

OK! great, you mr. senior exec at least are taking personal accountability. Positive step in the right direction!

From my extensive IT project experience (15 years) seriously consider the following:

--> Provide a high level plan, road map, view, of what you and the D3 team intend to implement over the next 12 months.

Or will there be continued general statements like "we have many plans for D3" with no substance?

All of the best........

We should all stick to doing what were good at. So, please take your jaded vague business logic elsewhere and leave the development to the Engineers. The Blizzard development team consists of highly trained individuals with expertise pertaining to their field and don't need help from some silly IT guy.
01/21/2013 03:33 AMPosted by Mushimushi
Neither are fanbois. At least the "haters" recognize the good parts of the game. The fanbois refuse to acknowledge any flaws at all.

Agreed on the 'fanbois' part. However: the completely ridiculous hate and flame going on here on these forums is truly mindblowingly astonishing. What is the point of bashing a person (and it doesn't really matter who) completely into the ground? And more annoying: it doesn't stop for god's sake. It's already going on for 10 months.

These 'persons' are the ones who completely destroy the forum without any intention of giving constructive critism. And to be clear: critism can be harsh, but there is no need to wish somebody things like 'Burn in hell'. As far as I'm concerned you're not a human being if you say such things. And yes: I know this is the internet, I understand how it works, but if you're a bit a man (or woman) you say such things into somebody's face and/or without anonimity, then I still don't agree but hey: you don't hide yourself.

And back to the fanbois part: am I a Blizzard fan? Yes. Am I happy with D3 as it is atm? No. But I do see they are really trying to make it better (and slowly succeeding), and that the game has an truly INCREDIBLE potential, but all the hate doesn't help.

And concerning my opinion what should be improved:

- Itemization (this is BY FAR the most important thing that should be adressed)
- Story
- Skills (more skills should be viable for all the classes)
- Crafting ( it has so much potential but it needs a drastic overhaul)
- Farming should feel more rewarding, Paragon levels also have a LOT of potential. (Oh, and concerning farming and 'D2 was better'. Really? Get out! Completely ridiculous. Yeah 10000x Baal is fun..................)

And concerning the AH's: really don't understand the argument that this destroyed Diablo. It's complete nonsense. I have played D2 for over 10 years (still play it) and people want to trade, period. So what's wrong with taking it out of the shady 3rd line parties market and make it official? Hell, I'm even willing to go as far that if there was next to no, or fewer, trading in D2 the AH's in D3 wouldn't even have existed, the players wanted it, Blizz obliged and of course they make money with it, that's what companies do after all. I have no problem whatsoever with it.

Oh, and I really can't help myself: stop with the D2 comparison. If there is one thing I agree completely with Jay Wilson is that "People have a lot of memories about D2 that really never happened". D2 became as it was after the xpac. Before that it wasn't that great. Don't believe me? Play D2 without the xpac, then you will see what I mean.

So let's band together, the ones of us who want to improve this game, let's give ideas and critism and wait for the xpac, then we will see............
The guys at Blizzard make excellent games..Period.

Balancing is an issue that gamers will always whine about.

Keep up the great work Blizzard, and how about teasing TITAN.
good riddance series ruiner

All of the best........

We should all stick to doing what were good at. So, please take your jaded vague business logic elsewhere and leave the development to the Engineers. The Blizzard development team consists of highly trained individuals with expertise pertaining to their field and don't need help from some silly IT guy.

Oh of course, apart from my positive and constructive feedback there is the element of low emotional intelligence and maturity within the midst of this community. That must just plainly be ignored....
LOL the hater-haters miss something.

At least the haters you've seen on this forum interest in D3. Most of my friends have LE package have just quit playing and don't give a !@#$ anymore.

If Rob really thought Jay made it, Jay got promoted. Period.
This thread saddens me greatly. I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III. I am very proud of the Diablo franchise and what the team was able to accomplish with Diablo III. As a gamer I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it. We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise. I’m the only person in this thread who has actually worked with Jay. I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise with his feel for visceral combat, boss battles, and an unparalleled knack for making it fun to smash bad guys. I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games. If you love Diablo as much as we do, then please continue to let us know how you feel we can improve the game. If you still feel the need to dish out blame, then I would prefer you direct it at me. I was the executive producer on the project; I hired Jay and I gave him advice and direction throughout the development process. I was ultimately responsible for the game we released and take full responsibility for the quality of the result.

Be realistic because you're not. The results of this game is very poor and you are saying you're proud of it? You should be shamed. And why does it sadden you that people are lashing out at you because you took their money in exchange for a poor quality game? All justice is rough, not sure where you're from but if you take advantage of people you will have what you deserve coming. Diablo 3 will never be the best game in the franchaise because there's no way your company is willing to improve the game at the cost of profits. I understand you're saying all this becaues you work for Blizzard and you have bills to pay, everyone who has a job knows how that feels. Start applying to another company if things are going down hill for you, but don't make promises you can't keep.