One question for ur dev team

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 20 Next
1) Weekly updates, 2) dev blogs, 3) publicly visible bug tracking (for user-reported issues at least,) a 4) public idea board... these things will make the difference.

I added numbers in the quote above. #1 and #2 are being done to some extent. Doing #3 and #4 would be phenomenal.
I love this game,jsyk.
One statement I’ve seen over and over on these forums and elsewhere are proposals for “easy” fixes and overarching assumptions about how long implementation for a variety of changes “should” take.

The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it. There are also multiple steps in the pipeline for each and every proposed change and bug fix, no matter how minor, and what issues are being worked on in what order and by who can and do change as new matters arise. Sometimes extra testing is also needed for bugs that come back broken and need to be retested, because we didn't want them to go live with a bad fix.

While there may indeed be a list of known issues and bugs that run alongside some patches, for every one you are aware of, there can be dozens or hundreds being worked on behind-the-scenes that you likely never be aware of. We do things just as quickly as we can, but even then, it’s a process that takes time.

Players complained about hardcore achievement / rare/named mobs. since the game came out. might take long to fix the monster, but removing it would be pretty fast and now we have waited half a year and its still not fixed and looks like achievements will still be bugged in patch 1.07.

But all the changes have been good and I think you do a great job I love the game, but saying it would take half a year or even more to remove a name from an achievement is bull!@#$.
01/21/2013 09:00 AMPosted by Gardrell
My advice, Vaeflare, is to be more open about it. I work in an IT company bigger than Blizzard, Activision or even Vivendi. I kick-started a project for a customer whose IT budget alone exceeds Activision's net income. Yet we meet with them twice a week, and give them a live demo and a build every two weeks. This move alone has helped defuse a C-level escalation down to a partner-level relationship (in that area anyway, we're already strategic partners.) Transparency goes a long way. Regardless of what progress you make, keeping your customers up to date and directly involved can only be a positive move. I have never, ever in my professional experience had that backfire against me or my employer, and I've had to deal with the biggest fish in the sea.

With programmers like this guy and companies with such transparency as the one he works for, no wonder the dev's rarely check the forums. If this were my competition, I'd hide with my tail between my legs too.

Because his company is 'large' and deals with 'big budget' companies, doesn't mean he's working for a video game company where the client isn't a 'strategic partner', it's a 12 year old snot faced kid who wants a 1440dps weapon and he wants it now.

This partner is probably a company that has end users, but the partnership means company a is doing business for company b. So of course company a needs to keep company b up to date, that's good business. Company a does not need to have the same transparency with the end user (user of company b product or service) as they do with the strategic partner.
01/18/2013 06:13 PMPosted by Xort
The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it.

So the many years of development before release wasn't enough...?

That's the hilarity of it all really. Having read Jay's blog he was director of D3 for seven, count em', seven years. That's a long time. Now, Path of Exiles (I know, I know) has had a little over half that time and will actually release with end game AND pvp tournaments. I've played it and found it decently more entertaining than D3 (I'm not going to be like the majority of the complainers and say omgwtfbbq d3 worst game ever! because it isn't, just terribly underwhelming and leaving much to be desired). I just don't get it. I do know one thing though. They should have reversed releasing the RMAH/GAH with end game content and PvP. The amount of capital (money, programming, iteration, etc.) to make the former must have been rather significant but seeing as how poor itemization was getting decent gear would have otherwise been too unrewarding/undesirable so it was in a sense a necessity as opposed to end-game content and pvp.

Players complained about hardcore achievement / rare/named mobs. since the game came out. might take long to fix the monster, but removing it would be pretty fast and now we have waited half a year and its still not fixed and looks like achievements will still be bugged in patch 1.07.

But all the changes have been good and I think you do a great job I love the game, but saying it would take half a year or even more to remove a name from an achievement is bull!@#$.

while im sure some bugged things are annoying, especially when it comes to achievements, blizz needs to figure out which bugs are more important than others. just because something is known doesnt mean its important enough to be fixed right away. while removing something that doesnt work is always a possibility, im sure there are things not working right they want to be kept in the game so they do not remove it and would rather wait until they can fix it.
sitting back sippin on some lemonade LOl
I'm having trouble trying to express just how dumb this post is.
1) Your an $8.1 billion company. If you wanted something done, you have the money to get it done if not now, really *soon*.
2) You should have attracted at least some of the top talent from around the world given your previous games popularity.
3) Let's look at your previous posts: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794319883?page=32#629
Remember this one?
This was in October. You said you'd be fixing monks. Instead, you guys just literally DOUBLED some of the spirit spenders. In short, you guys hardly follow up on anything. Even after 4 months, you haven't done anything significant.

I thought this was a great catch. Does noone else find this hilarious?

"We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement, and we have plans to make more changes to the monk after 1.0.5. The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though."

X months later, monk buffing/fixing patch gets number tweaks. Literally. No actual mechanic or skill changes mentioned. It's nothing but number changes. Almost 100% of the useless skills remain useless because of what they do, not how much of what they did before changed.

Did you guys try to come up with good solutions all these months and then a few weeks ago said f**k it and slapped some numbers around as yet another bandaid?
I'm having trouble trying to express just how dumb this post is.
1) Your an $8.1 billion company. If you wanted something done, you have the money to get it done if not now, really *soon*.
2) You should have attracted at least some of the top talent from around the world given your previous games popularity.
3) Let's look at your previous posts: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794319883?page=32#629
Remember this one?
This was in October. You said you'd be fixing monks. Instead, you guys just literally DOUBLED some of the spirit spenders. In short, you guys hardly follow up on anything. Even after 4 months, you haven't done anything significant.

Ouch! If this is true then the truth certainly hurts.... I heard a saying once, "If the truth hurts, then you aren't living right."
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/8443371/
That link above is for you to post all the ideas your little brains can come up with!
Get after it!
Make a difference!
Show blizz who's boss!
LOL

+1 Thanks for the reminder :)
01/18/2013 07:12 PMPosted by vexorian

You are of course, referring to D3 at launch? :p

edit: i r gud wit engrish
Launch was 8 months ago. Get over it.

For that matter, if TL2 or PoE would ever have as many users in their servers as back when D3 was released, their puny servers would melt.

Yes, and that was because of a misconception that the game would actually live up to the Diablo franchise.

Look how many people are on the servers now... See how many people quit? It happens when customer satisfaction is not met. That's what Blizzard delivered. A game that hyped everyone out, a ton of people bought it, then we all find out it's junk.
Another productive thread ruined by idiots. These forums aren't even funny anymore.
01/18/2013 06:13 PMPosted by Xort
The reality is, game development is a hugely iterative and time-consuming process, with many people involved along the way. Design takes time, Coding takes time, art takes time, QA takes time: you name it.

So the many years of development before release wasn't enough...?

What's the point of being rude to a blue commentator who is trying to help and is talking to us?

Keep this up and they'll never respond. THINK PEOPLE THINK!