[3]Uberjager's thread on Ubergearing WW Barbs

Barbarian
Prev 1 7 8 9 13 Next
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with my Barb gear? Just got back into the game, haven't played since release... LOTS of things seem to have changed as far as gear goes. I found a few random guides on google and dropped about 5m on my current gear. I steamroll everything in mp0/1 but I get oneshot as soon as I step into mp2. I was hoping to be able to farm at least mp5 or so. I have a budget of maybe 15m gold remaining to work with, plus whatever I can sell my current gear for.
Looking at your current gear, I am guessing you mean that by having LS on your EF OH, then you can afford to get a cheaper MH with high DPS/STR/Crit Damage because otherwise you have to get a MH with high DPS/STR/Crit Damage AND LS which would make the price go through the roof, and EF with crit damage also goes through the roof?

Exactly....tacking life steal onto my current weapon would double it's price, and crit damage open socket EF's aren't cheap either.

If I had life steal on my main hand though, I wouldn;t have to have it on my off hand, and I could get a crit dmg + open socket EF for a potential increase of 100% crit damage that I am currently not utilizing.

Actually, I have one other question as I think more about this :P

From a WW perspective, is it correct to say it is still optimal to have high DPS MH and lower DPS OH with high IAS?

I thought that with WW, the ticks damage depends on the MH, and the number of ticks depends on APS of both MH and OH (as well as good crit chance).

The issue with using the high DPS MH and EF as OH I was thinking was that I certainly achieve more sheet DPS, but I achieve generally lower APS. Here is my comparison on APS (lets assume 45% IAS bonus from 5pc of gear):

1) High DPS MH, EF as OH

For the MH, we generally go Axe/Mace becasue we want the crit chance bonus, so that implies that weapon speed is 1.30.

MH APS = (1.30+0.25)*(1.45+0.15+0.25) = 2.87
OH APS = 1.45*(1.45+0.15+0.25) = 2.68

2) EF with high DPS MH, sword weapon for OH

MH APS = 1.45*(1.45+0.15+0.25) = 2.68
OH APS = (1.40+0.25)*(1.45+0.15+0.25) = 3.05

So basically, Echo Fury APS always the same, but if you use EF as your MH, then you have more flexibility using a dagger/sword for the offhand (and therefore higher APS overall).

I think im starting to confuse myself more....

P.S. I am ignoring the fear on hit factor of EF in MH for now!
Hi Wayne/Uber!

I've got 300mil gold and also a 28% vs e/5%cold/6%cc to overpower SoJ (which will probably replace my crappy hellfire ring, unless I can get a better roll before 1.07 hits).

I'm looking at upgrading my gear with patch 1.07 in mind.

Currently farming MP3 due to the clearing-speed offering a decent amount of exp and chance for drops. Once the patch hits I'm hoping to move up to higher MPs, with the very long-term goal being efficient/quick MP7 clears. Obviously my gear has a long way to go from that, just mentioning it. Aside from that, my only long run thoughts are:

1) IK belt over WH, simply due to value for money and being easier to gear around. WH is fantastic dps, but having to balance EHP and sustain in weapons and other slots (or even having to swap in an IK when facing thought affixes such as RD) is a bit too bothersome for me.

2) Not going to use this gear for PvP at all, or dip into HOTA/other builds. WW barb all the way for me! :)

With the above in mind, I'm thinking of getting a mace/axe with a high dmg range (around 650-1200) + high CD (80% or more) + socket and pairing it with an .24aps EF with str+LS+socket. No STR on the MH due to price considerations.

Another alternative I'm looking at would be to go Sun Keeper MH (losing dmg range but gaining bonus vs elites) and the same EF in the OH.

Looking at this combo since it would "settle" my weapons for the foreseeable future and allow me to have a bit more freedom to play with other slots.

If you have any criticism or warnings about the line of thought / ideas above.. please do share!

edit: I've read your guide on weapons, and I would also like to ask:
1) mace/axe with 1700dmg range+LS+socket MH and str LS+socket EF OH = losing a tonne of CD, which means having to put it in rings/WH?
2) any ballpark budget you'd look for in the LS+OS+dmg range MH you mention in your guide? It's tempting to keep going up in dmg range, but it quickly goes into ...100s of millions of gold
01/23/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Bankai

Exactly....tacking life steal onto my current weapon would double it's price, and crit damage open socket EF's aren't cheap either.

If I had life steal on my main hand though, I wouldn;t have to have it on my off hand, and I could get a crit dmg + open socket EF for a potential increase of 100% crit damage that I am currently not utilizing.

Actually, I have one other question as I think more about this :P

From a WW perspective, is it correct to say it is still optimal to have high DPS MH and lower DPS OH with high IAS?

I thought that with WW, the ticks damage depends on the MH, and the number of ticks depends on APS of both MH and OH (as well as good crit chance).

The issue with using the high DPS MH and EF as OH I was thinking was that I certainly achieve more sheet DPS, but I achieve generally lower APS. Here is my comparison on APS (lets assume 45% IAS bonus from 5pc of gear):

1) High DPS MH, EF as OH

For the MH, we generally go Axe/Mace becasue we want the crit chance bonus, so that implies that weapon speed is 1.30.

MH APS = (1.30+0.25)*(1.45+0.15+0.25) = 2.87
OH APS = 1.45*(1.45+0.15+0.25) = 2.68

2) EF with high DPS MH, sword weapon for OH

MH APS = 1.45*(1.45+0.15+0.25) = 2.68
OH APS = (1.40+0.25)*(1.45+0.15+0.25) = 3.05

So basically, Echo Fury APS always the same, but if you use EF as your MH, then you have more flexibility using a dagger/sword for the offhand (and therefore higher APS overall).

I think im starting to confuse myself more....

P.S. I am ignoring the fear on hit factor of EF in MH for now!

Take note.

EF usually has low damage ranges as opposed to rare maces.

Secondly, having weapons of larger APS differences doesn't necessarily transfer you to a higher breakpoint.

On Paper, yes, you deal more damage because you assume your OH is the last weapon swung, in actuality however you can't tell which is the last weapon swung.

Because of this, its actually better to gear in such a way that your MH and OH are both of similar APS, with both of them hitting higher breakpoints.
Hi Wayne/Uber!

I've got 300mil gold and also a 28% vs e/5%cold/6%cc to overpower SoJ (which will probably replace my crappy hellfire ring, unless I can get a better roll before 1.07 hits).

I'm looking at upgrading my gear with patch 1.07 in mind.

Currently farming MP3 due to the clearing-speed offering a decent amount of exp and chance for drops. Once the patch hits I'm hoping to move up to higher MPs, with the very long-term goal being efficient/quick MP7 clears. Obviously my gear has a long way to go from that, just mentioning it. Aside from that, my only long run thoughts are:

1) IK belt over WH, simply due to value for money and being easier to gear around. WH is fantastic dps, but having to balance EHP and sustain in weapons and other slots (or even having to swap in an IK when facing thought affixes such as RD) is a bit too bothersome for me.

2) Not going to use this gear for PvP at all, or dip into HOTA/other builds. WW barb all the way for me! :)

With the above in mind, I'm thinking of getting a mace/axe with a high dmg range (around 650-1200) + high CD (80% or more) + socket and pairing it with an .24aps EF with str+LS+socket. No STR on the MH due to price considerations.

Another alternative I'm looking at would be to go Sun Keeper MH (losing dmg range but gaining bonus vs elites) and the same EF in the OH.

Looking at this combo since it would "settle" my weapons for the foreseeable future and allow me to have a bit more freedom to play with other slots.

If you have any criticism or warnings about the line of thought / ideas above.. please do share!

edit: I've read your guide on weapons, and I would also like to ask:
1) mace/axe with 1700dmg range+LS+socket MH and str LS+socket EF OH = losing a tonne of CD, which means having to put it in rings/WH?
2) any ballpark budget you'd look for in the LS+OS+dmg range MH you mention in your guide? It's tempting to keep going up in dmg range, but it quickly goes into ...100s of millions of gold

Your approach is fine. Get a sunkeeper with Str. :/
I'm sort of stuck with what to upgrade next, any advice? I'm sort of reluctant to spend 500m on cc mempo for 8k or so more dmg :/
My pants are innas with 170 vit (may not b showing) and I have a cold soj swap. I'm changing back to ww build.

Thanks guys!
Hey Uber!

I only have a lowly 12 mil for upgrades, do you actually think i can afford anything? If i can't afford much do you think i should move some stats around to different pieces???

Any thoughts are appreciated, cheers!
01/23/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Serejai
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with my Barb gear? Just got back into the game, haven't played since release... LOTS of things seem to have changed as far as gear goes. I found a few random guides on google and dropped about 5m on my current gear. I steamroll everything in mp0/1 but I get oneshot as soon as I step into mp2. I was hoping to be able to farm at least mp5 or so. I have a budget of maybe 15m gold remaining to work with, plus whatever I can sell my current gear for.

Swapped out some of my DPS oriented gear for some more Vita... seems to help at bit but I still can't clear MP2. I am constantly out of Fury so my WW dies and I get oneshot. I know I'm pretty low on AR but I can't find a good way to stack it without losing a LOT of damage in the process and I feel like my damage is already a bit low in MP2.
@Uber - thanks for your advice, understood :)
Hey Uber/wayne.

i only just strolled onto this post since i never come onto forums.
i read your first paige. and to be honest. i still dont know were to go with my barb and its current setup.

i know my rings and gloves should be looked at. but everything i look up goes well into the 250-1bil mark.

was just wondering. which peice of gear i should look at upgrading next. or should swap.

i can do mp5 with ease. ive done mp7 but it takes too long.
i currently farm mp3 cuz its quickest. but id like to move up in the world sometime.

just in a bit of a pinch is all.

thanks
-Rob
I'm sort of stuck with what to upgrade next, any advice? I'm sort of reluctant to spend 500m on cc mempo for 8k or so more dmg :/
My pants are innas with 170 vit (may not b showing) and I have a cold soj swap. I'm changing back to ww build.

Thanks guys!

You main hand EF has a low damage range, you would be best suited to switch it to your offhand and get a high damage range axe/mace depending on your breakpoints with open socket, CD, life steal and str if you can afford it. Go for something with 550-1100 damage range for an axe or 600-1200 for a mace....the higher the better though.

Hey Uber!

I only have a lowly 12 mil for upgrades, do you actually think i can afford anything? If i can't afford much do you think i should move some stats around to different pieces???

Any thoughts are appreciated, cheers!

12 mill can get you a new main hand with a higher damage range, and better stats. Here is Uberjager's write up on stat importance for main hand weapons, but keep in mind you can bypass life steal if you think you already have enough....which it looks like you might:

2G) Weapon choices!

I know most of you have been waiting for this.

Weapon choices is one of the primary reasons why most barbarians waste money. Especially WW barbarians.

First things first. Here's a list of important stats that can roll on weapons (ranked in order of importance):

1. AVG damage.

2. Lifesteal.

3. Socket/Critical Damage (they're essentially the same thing)

4. Strength.

5. Vit.

Reference section 2G for more info

01/23/2013 10:22 PMPosted by Serejai
Swapped out some of my DPS oriented gear for some more Vita... seems to help at bit but I still can't clear MP2. I am constantly out of Fury so my WW dies and I get oneshot. I know I'm pretty low on AR but I can't find a good way to stack it without losing a LOT of damage in the process and I feel like my damage is already a bit low in MP2.

Switch Killing Spree to Crushing Advance and Animosity to Superstition. You have plenty of crit chance to make this build work, and the Mighty weapons should be returning enough fury to you....running out of fury with your set-up sounds like a learn to play issue. Reference my vids in Section 4 of the guide and the 2 that are posted at the beginning of the thread where I do MP10 in less then 1 mill total of gear and see if you can't take something away from the tactics I am using.

(Also, yes, you still need more Vit, your AR should be fine though for the MP you are playing)

Hey Uber/wayne.

i only just strolled onto this post since i never come onto forums.
i read your first paige. and to be honest. i still dont know were to go with my barb and its current setup.

i know my rings and gloves should be looked at. but everything i look up goes well into the 250-1bil mark.

was just wondering. which peice of gear i should look at upgrading next. or should swap.

i can do mp5 with ease. ive done mp7 but it takes too long.
i currently farm mp3 cuz its quickest. but id like to move up in the world sometime.

just in a bit of a pinch is all.

thanks
-Rob

You can upgrade your main hand for less then 250 mill. Look for something with higher average damage. Reference the post above where I talk about weapon selection and see section 2G of the guide for more info.
Uber is your male barb still able to do mp10?

and does it still cost only 1mill to "build"
Just wanted to say thanks Wayneold for the donation! Appreciate it.
Can someone help me decide what to upgrade next? I really want to move my EF to my offhand but I need a new MH if I do that. Just need some advice to get my barb to the next level.
Uber is your male barb still able to do mp10?

and does it still cost only 1mill to "build"

His barb is still able to do MP10 in the right hands....it's dependent on skill, tactics, and runes.

If anything I believe items of comparable quality are less gold now....

01/24/2013 03:21 PMPosted by xxxkan
Just wanted to say thanks Wayneold for the donation! Appreciate it.

Glad you got it, you are welcome.

01/24/2013 03:31 PMPosted by HamburgerBun
Can someone help me decide what to upgrade next? I really want to move my EF to my offhand but I need a new MH if I do that. Just need some advice to get my barb to the next level.

You are right on track, get the EF to your offhand, get a beastly main hand.

Cold SoJ wouldn't hurt either.
I bought new pants finally... found an unid EF earlier which I sold for 19m + the 500k was just enough to cover the amount i was missing for them. Probably should have waited, but oh well. Back to hardcore saving now. What would my next upgrade be?
01/24/2013 06:18 PMPosted by xxxkan
I bought new pants finally... found an unid EF earlier which I sold for 19m + the 500k was just enough to cover the amount i was missing for them. Probably should have waited, but oh well. Back to hardcore saving now. What would my next upgrade be?

You can finally ditch the vit off your offhand without much of an issue....get one with similar stats and crit dmg + socket......it will be expensive, but worth it....ohh, and upgrade your gems....you now have mid-high gear with crap gems in it.....gotta look the part man.

EDIT: Or for a less expensive alternative upgrade that main hand of yours, ditch the vit, get higher average damage, life steal, crit damage, and open socket.

Or go the route I did with my main hand and offhand and get life steal on the EF with a socket....

The choice is yours really....but it's time to pile on the damage now.

EDIT 2: are you doing WW or HoTA build?
I am doing WW build. I was doing ubers earlier so I have HoTA on.

I think I got pretty lucky actually. I was looking at a Cold SoJ with 25% Elite and 3% WW for 20m earlier. If i bought those then I wouldn't have been able to afford these pants.

I was thinking about getting an EF with lifesteal, but that seems to be slightly more expensive than a crit damage, lifesteal, socket mainhand.
Hi again guys,

I'm using an axe for both my MH and OH and I don't remember seeing any of the barb pros doing the same. Is there something wrong about using an axe on both hands?

Thanks
Can someone please help me?I'm stuck at 107k dps and i have 417m to spend.What should i upgrade?