Remove NV from existance

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 15 Next
You contradict yourself here. You say it benefits nobody yet you say you get punished for switching skills, which would imply that you think it's a benefit.

No. The punishment is its function, it has no direct benefit.

I should explain further.

NV itself is aimed at targeting your farm if you switch skills or want to do extreme swift runs. That means, it will "punish" you if you swift skills, and lower your level of farm below the normal level.

It is not made to boost, it i made to impact those two situations.
If there was no NV people would skip elites and just kill trash mobs.
01/09/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Why

I'd personally fight bosses over and over. I just wish we didn't have to keep picking the quest.
01/09/2013 01:15 AMPosted by Nocturnal
- To prevent players from playing quick sessions

This is a good thing about NV. There are still many ways to play 15-minute sessions of this game currently, like a quick Alkaizer run or checking the AH. Especially when you get to the higher paragon levels and have better gear, NV is less noticeable. It's much better than WoW. I'm married and have a laptop, I'm very conscientious of this.

01/09/2013 01:15 AMPosted by Nocturnal
- Skills, punishment for changing them.

This is mostly a good thing, except as it relates to Uber farming:

The 5-stack requirement for key/organ drops should probably be removed, since it is already time-consuming to find the keywardens.

Too many times I will get a 5-stack for ubers to realize that I need a much more offensive or defensive build based on my teammates' capabilities. Now I either need to grind out the ubers with some inefficient deaths, or re-grind 5 NV.

A separate fix to the above problem could be to remove the enrage timer for ubers, so one can err on the defensive side. Overly defensive players will be punished enough for the longer duration it takes to complete the event.
Skills:

Honestly, who cares if someone pulls a 30 sec cooldown skill change,

You do realize that NV stacks were created specifically for players because of the outcry of the D3 skill system that allows skill changes at any time, right?

Players complained that D3 had no permanence, no choices that mean anything. All skills are availible all the time (essentially). Where as in D2, you had to put skill points in certain paths. If you didn't like the character you created, you had to start all over again. D3 doesn't have that, and players missed it.

NV stacks were created to give a bonus to those who picked a set of skills and stuck with it. You ASKED for NV stacks.
Nocturnal may not have stated it perfectly, but he's correct folks. They should simply guarantee certain drops on bosses and elites, like 1 guaranteed random (within act/difficulty appropriate range) legendary per boss for example, and the same thing for elites except with rares, not legendary items. You could still get more, just not guaranteed. If you don't like that, why not just increase the overall drop rate or quality rate over the whole game slightly. Blizzard created NV for money reasons, not to make the players happy. When I get on to play Diablo, I want to be able to choose if I want to play 15 minutes or 15 hours. I don't want to be forced to play a certain set amount of time for prime farming efficiency...

heck the fact that we're arguing on a thread about farming efficiency instead of a thread about how fun PvP or the storyline and extra quests are (but these don't exist) is just sad if you think about it. Do we even have dueling working yet, or what about PvP arena, Blizzard? Is Blizzard really going to make us loyal fans (I bought a collector's edition!) pay for new content in an expansion when the content should have already been there in the first place, the game had made bugs at launch, and there was no PvP at launch??
01/09/2013 12:43 PMPosted by Why

To poster Why:

I would kill both types. Your assumption is not 100% correct.
If this was the case this is a bad form of doing it. Check this idea.

Imagine if Nephalem Valor was no longer an ability for elite packs. Instead it gave you stacks of NV when you killed quest bosses, proper bosses.

This would make the bosses substantially more attractive to kill, and for each stack the next boss would drop even more. This would make it attractive to run acts.

There is a distinct nothingness when you kill bosses in the current D3, they used to drop very well in earlier Diablos. This would help build gradually increasing drops for these bosses, as the reward for playing a longer game. It would not reset between acts,

Keywardens require at least 1 stack before they drop their keys.

Stuff like that, i just feel this NV valor is a hassle big time, its kinda cool in a way, but we dont really need it and it requires your attention.

I'd like to add to this.

Why is it that we cannot go between acts 1, 2, 3 or 4 but have to stay in one act at a time. This game is VERY linear. Yet, as I kill a boss and proceed to the next act certain things get reset and the boss drops nothing spectacular most of the time, so then it feels anti-climatic. So, I play the next act hoping for better with the next boss but it stays about the same the whole game with the exception of elites dropping better if you have NV stacks. Sure one could say this applies to trash mobs or bosses as well, but normal monsters should only randomly drop anything good and bosses should always drop at least one thing that is good. They're bosses, especially for the main bosses...I just feel Diablo 3 design and patching philosophy often contradicts itself... :(
01/09/2013 12:21 PMPosted by Nocturnal
You contradict yourself here. You say it benefits nobody yet you say you get punished for switching skills, which would imply that you think it's a benefit.

No. The punishment is its function, it has no direct benefit.

I should explain further.

NV itself is aimed at targeting your farm if you switch skills or want to do extreme swift runs. That means, it will "punish" you if you swift skills, and lower your level of farm below the normal level.

It is not made to boost, it i made to impact those two situations.

The direct benefit is increased gf, mf, and xp.
It is a BONUS.
If you don't want a BONUS, change your skills at will and don't worry about it.
How is this complicated?
The creators of this and every game these days expect the ones playing to....
1.)have no life.
2.)no job but a credit card.
3.)play 8 or more hours a day with nothing to show fo rit in the end.
4.)im sure there are more.

Do they care that in the process your getting carpaltunnel/arthritis nope.
Nephalem Valor only poses an issue in Act 4. That's the only valid reason why it should be revamped or completely removed.
NV is nothen but a plus in the game change your skills all the time if u want to remove NV from the game.
It doesn't really matter, as JacobsHell already stated, too many things in this game rely on NV, therefore it will never be removed. Revamped? Maybe, but never removed. The players asked for a system or a reason not to change skills, Blizzard gave us what we wanted (kinda) and now we are gonna cry because we got what we wanted? I swear people will always find something new to complain about.
For whoever is reading this,

Neglect the misunderstood comments of people who claim it to be a bonus, for you, as well as i, know that the drops would be adjusted to make players happy if NV was removed. If there doesnt drop enough efter removing it, people will not be happy, and this is not a desireable situation.

So subtract all the comments of fanboys that think i am trying to rob them of a bonus, because they do not understand it or because i have explained it badly.

It doesn't really matter, as JacobsHell already stated, too many things in this game rely on NV, therefore it will never be removed. Revamped? Maybe, but never removed. The players asked for a system or a reason not to change skills, Blizzard gave us what we wanted (kinda) and now we are gonna cry because we got what we wanted? I swear people will always find something new to complain about.

This is incorrect. NV is not a central pillar of diablo, it could be replaced and the bonuses migrated out with ease.