1.07 crafting gear - Not what I thought

General Discussion
So I was thinking that the 1.07 Archon armor from crafting wouldn't be the same as the Archon armor that drops from everything in inferno, but I was wrong. The change just let's us make random rolled bind on account versions of the gear that already drops constantly in inferno. Made about 40 Archon chest armors, all terrible rolls. I'd like the amulet pattern and that might be useful if I can finally get a bi/trifecta, but not much to see here.

In fact! It's really just a way of getting welfare 63 gear if you just walked into inferno. Might be good in hardcore, but don't get too excited about it in softcore.
nobody else sees this?
I agree. Unless I'm missing something here, I can find better on the ground for free than what I can craft at a cost.
What you are missing is that this one is guaranteed to have 6 properties, one of them being a primary stat of your choice.

I'd take that over trying to find an Archon Armor off a mob with only 4 properties 90% of the time any day.

Not to mention, Chest is one of the most useless slots in terms of rare items.. most legendaries cover this slot far better than a rare can.

I think the best craftables will be Amulets, Gloves, and maybe bracers cause rare bracers still sell quite well.
Good call Taintedh, but it stinks we can't sell any of the gear we make. It's all bind on account.
I stand corrected. I was overlooking the 6 property guarantee, thanks for reminding me. I will try it out on some gloves and amulets. I can see where these could be pretty amazing.
I think shoulders have a good shot at replacing some vile wards if they roll 250+ main stat with vite, %life & resists. I know I'd replace mine. But ya he about covered it. Gloves ammy's and bracers are really the only thing worth doing, and maybe throw a few shoulders in there to mix it up.
God I hope I can replace my vile ward. I hate how it looks and it's on all my characters
This is very disappointing, I was under the impression that the new crafting recipes were set items. Not just !@#$ty RNG Rares... this was the part of the patch i was most excited for. This patch no longer means anything to me lol
Today I got 199 str, 197 vit, 75 ar, 76 dex and 2 soc. Archon Armor is terrible.

Only 2 patterns are valuable: hands and neck. Made 10 amu: 3 good and 7 terrible, 0 awesome. Good amu i mean: 320 str, 199 vit, 79 ar, 212 hp/s, 35% gf. Or something close to it.

Plz look at http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592402101 and comment, what you think about my changes.
01/16/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Gus2Bone
This is very disappointing, I was under the impression that the new crafting recipes were set items. Not just !@#$ty RNG Rares... this was the part of the patch i was most excited for. This patch no longer means anything to me lol

I figured this much from the patch notes (that new craft items were just rares). I was wondering what the AH Tycoons were QQing about, but I guess some read it differently.
That is disappointing. I wouldnt mind if they made it harder to get, if when it was crafted you know it was going to be within this range. As papacrusher pointed out, some items would be worth it, but not all.
The idea behind making these BoA craftables was entirely for newer players entering inferno. Given that they're entirely random, the idea isn't to implement a surefire way to get BiS items, but to introduce a method for new and poorer players to to obtain decent gear that can help them be efficient at lower levels, then start farming from there.
it stinks we can't sell any of the gear we make. It's all bind on account.

I think the reason for that is there is enough dropped stuff being sold on the AH that meets peoples' needs as it is. You want a piece of gear that has five properties with exact rolls? Chances are, you can find it on the AH right this second.

Crafted stuff of that caliber should be account bound. The game isn't attempting to make entrepreneurs out of people, and the new patch's crafting plans aren't meant to give people endless streams of income. It's just meant as an extra way of getting potentially better gear from a slightly different avenue than JUST farming or JUST shopping/flipping.

What you are missing is that this one is guaranteed to have 6 properties, one of them being a primary stat of your choice.

I'd take that over trying to find an Archon Armor off a mob with only 4 properties 90% of the time any day.

This is entirely true. Most of the crafting I've done (or tried to do) hasn't been fruitful, mainly because what gear I've crafted only has maybe four random properties tops, very low starting armor, and no guarantee I'll get ANY stats, let alone a stat I want.

On the other hand, crafting a rare Archon Chest with GUARANTEED 100+ stat, GUARANTEED 6 properties, and GUARANTEED base armor of around 400, imagine you get on top of main stat...

+295 Armor
+100 Vitality
+67 All Resist
Critical Chance increases by 8.5%
Critical Damage increases by 75%
Socket

Maybe the chances of getting a combo of affixes like that are pretty slim...or REALLY REALLY slim...and even getting an item like that is far from being epic/godly/endgame/whatever, but at least some combo of those things is guaranteed to be slightly higher with MORE affixes rolling than the plans for lower level rares and magics.

And since a fair amount of dropped rares can only have maybe three or four affixes, guaranteed 6 affixes shouldn't be scoffed at.

Right now, at least a couple of my characters that are using only self-found gear (my Wiz is the only one with AH gear on) have Chest Armor with some main stat (which can roll on ANY other gear), bunch of sockets, maybe some All Resist, high armor, and some non-primary stats. Nothing big or special. Meaning, when the patch officially releases, I'll likely give some serious thought to crafting some higher level Chest Armor for them simply because it gives me more chance to get great stuff in addition to all the farming I'll be doing.

It's an option people can pursue if they'd rather craft a string of their own items instead of just window shop in the AH and farm.

TLDR: More stuff = more chance to get good stuff. Simple math, :-)
01/16/2013 09:07 AMPosted by steakncheese
they have to farm the elites to get the essence, which is the same as farming elites for items.

Right, they're not only killing elites for items and gold and XP, but with the gold they make from vending and flipping, they can craft even MORE items that could potentially be good.
So in synopsis,

The gear is for new 60's to help them acquire useful gear through crafting

There are certain slots that crafting may be useful for partially to mostly geared players

Not being able to sell the gear is not a big issue as the market already has exact rolled items people want

As long as elites are dropping demonic essence, might as well make BoA pieces and fill your less than perfect slots.
So what everyone really wants is an easy mode push button get godly gear and sell for money??? I forgot this was a game where you might actually have to work for some gear and take a few shots before just having the red carpet rolled out for you and the godly gear delivered on a platter???
I feel they should have 2 guaranteed stats.

1) a guaranteed 250-330 primary stat
2) a guaranteed 70-80 all resist roll
3) 4 random properties.

the guaranteed ar roll will definitely eliminate plenty of the QQ issues with RD and so forth. (ie: help reduce the number of glass cannons around).

right now the RNG means you have a near astronomical chance of getting a pri roll + a high pri/vit roll and on amulets, mara can definitely roll > 400 primary stat which this BOA amulet cannot (max roll 230 pri + 150pri/vit)