Why Strafe?

Demon Hunter
Over Multishot?

I've been playing with a few multishot and strafe builds lately through mp0-mp3. They're both fun in their own way and are obviously aimed for speed and mass murder. But I personally find multishot to be far more reliable in damage, efficient in hatred (with Fire at Will rune), as well as a quicker killer. Especially in Act III where most of us spend our time grinding. Enemies are almost always lined up so the piercing effect of multishot really shines. Combined with stutter stepping between shots I feel it's just as, or nearly as mobile as strafe.

Granted I know this all comes down to play style too. I have to admit, sometimes i enjoy a lazy game of just holding the strafe button indefinitely while I never stop moving and !@#$ just falls over dead.

Thoughts?
I'm with you. I enjoy using one of the strafe builds every once in a while, but I always go back to my multi-shot build.
It goes better with a 12 pack of beer for leveling, simple as that my man.
So I can get 100m exp/hour.

TBH it's probably possible with good enough gear to get those exp rates with a multishot build as well (I don't have the gear to test it). But even then, it'll be a hell of a lot harder to play then just strafing.

As much as I like stutter stepping for challenging content (I stutter-stepped so hard back when I cleared inferno the week the game came out), I really don't feel like it's a worthy playstyle for the overly easy direction that D3 has gone. I love challenges, but TBH I feel that blizzard should be the ones making the challenges for us.
You make some good points TianZi but I'm a little confused on the gear comment. My gear is far from best of the best but it feels like multishot puts out more damage with less gear. In that case, it would be a better choice for the undergeared or frugal players who don't have 100 mil to drop in gear.

And I 100% agree that Blizzard should be the ones creating the challenges.
You make some good points TianZi but I'm a little confused on the gear comment. My gear is far from best of the best but it feels like multishot puts out more damage with less gear. In that case, it would be a better choice for the undergeared or frugal players who don't have 100 mil to drop in gear.

And I 100% agree that Blizzard should be the ones creating the challenges.

I think for a new DH (starting with no gear) they could pretty much pick either route as long as they have about 10 million gold to buy some gear and gems. I've tried playing Strafe on a under 10m gold budget (total cost of all gear, follower gear, and gems aside from hellfire ring) and can consistently get over 50m exp/hour wearing that.

The real difference is that Strafe is benefits more from eHP for mp0 farming, while BL/MS builds are more DPS focused in low MP. So gearing for strafe with a very low budget would take stats like AR or Vit over crit damage and attack speed up to the point where the player has something like ~400 AR and 40k HP. For a super low end build, strafe build really just needs about 80k DPS unbuffed to be able to not run into a hatred-wall.

If I was just starting a new DH with no gear at pretty much any budget, I'd personally gear for Strafe rather then for MS.

-----

The only thing I really like about builds like MS and BL is that they play like the way most people expected a DH to play before they actually played the class. It's really the classic "hunter" feeling that made many players (myself included) play a DH over other classes. However, in terms of ease and efficiency it just seems to me that playing Strafe is a superior choice for leveling/farming as a DH.
Multishot/ ball lightning builds are great. However, if you're working your toon to higher paragon levels, strafe is the better option in IMO as the gruesome, endless grinding seemingly becomes the best time to be lazy. :D
Multishot/ ball lightning builds are great. However, if you're working your toon to higher paragon levels, strafe is the better option in IMO as the gruesome, endless grinding seemingly becomes the best time to be lazy. :D

I don't think so, Tim.
Why multi-shot when you can BL?

I like strafe better then MS mainly because I can get higher monster kills with it. MS seems to miss a lot of mobs, especially ones behind me, or right beside me.

Skeleton = s me
Multi-shot = s/\s
ssssss

Ball lightning and strafe gets errybody! I think my highest kill-streak was with strafe at 230 or something. Prob not much (idk what other people get) but it seemed easiest to get a high kill-streak with Strafe then any other.

Multishot kills a bunch of trash mobs in a blink of the eye.
01/10/2013 10:37 AMPosted by kruncho

boring and slow
BL is faster than strafe, well at least for me it is. it's also more fun since you have to be active. but strafe is fun when you want to relax and just hold down the button. anyone want to challenge?
BL + FoK = fastest lvling spec for me, huge damage and you never run out of hatred. Strafe and MS requires certain gears to be effective while BL/FoK build just need vegeance rune to keep going.
Just had to say that as soon as I read through this thread I thought I was transported back to Diablo 2 forums and the arguments of what was better Strafe or Multishot :)

I prefer strafe with the grenades rune. I like it for the auto aim (sort of with grenades) and the AoE damage.

I switch it up to multishot every once in a while but I just love being able to move while attacking with strafe.