What D2 had that D3 does not.

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 15 Next
01/13/2013 07:27 PMPosted by TheSaint
put in more then half

As to be expected.

They did have previous stuff to work with. 10 years to dream stuff.

Although, they could have put in a little more over 10 years :/ oh well, why do we have patches in first place?

(patching)
Oh, and damage didn't matter in Diablo II Low Level Duelers, like Diablo III, it was about the mods on the weapon -- like Crit, Attack Speed, and Crishing blow, etc...
Posted by Fingerling
I think the biggest difference between D2 and D3 is that D3 is missing David Brevik, Matt Uelmen and Blizzard North.

agree 1000 times
one word. It had:

Fun
d2 had 0 account-bound items
Yea, D2 was good after it had all its updates and patches and expansion. But hey only the Bosses had a chance to possibly drop the "great gear" that everyone touts on about. People whine that doing the Alkaiser run is boring how fun is killing only the bosses to get possibly decent loot? In D3 you have a chance to get good loot other than the end zone of each act. If I wanna try a new skill combo out I don't have to play a whole new char from scratch, and then if I don't like it, all the time was just wasted. Yeah that's fun! NOT. this is just another QQ thread.

WAAAAHHHH!!!!! Go play D2 then with your duped gear and your map hacks.
Pro D2 and D3. Both games have/had pro's and con's IMO. There is always room for improvement for D3 but that will take time as all good things do. I hope they bring charms and runes to D3 though, just for a bit more diversity in character customization. Nothing to major, but I did always like using that helmet runeword in D2:LOD that turned you into a frog. LOLZ :D
Are people totally insane?

D2 was so infected with cheating, duping and botting, runewords were created as a joke. It was impossible for anyone to legitly find Ber Ist Jah. I found 7 High Runes in YEARS of playing. And never found 1 Death Fathom or Tyreals, or freaking half of the Paladin set.

And then there was stat allocation. Everyone knows you just had enough STR for you gear and the rest in VIT or else you were a nOOb.

The only exception was Dex Zon's, Max Block pallys, and E-Shield Sorcs.

Everyone had the same basic end game gear. Pefect shako, Perfect !@# or CoH, Perfect anni, ect..

Edit: LOL clearly you cannot shorten up Enigma. Nice filter

Quoted for Truth.
I mean really there wasn't that much diversity in d2.
For any class there were maybe 1 or 2 useful builds. Things got
even more restrictive if you were playing at a higher level of competition.

Sure you can derp around with a handful of cute little builds
(like a friend of mine who made a bow sorc without enchant or anything
and beat diablo with white damage arrows and defensive spells before LoD came out)
but I mean... If you want to farm properly or win duels, you really only
have a couple options for your builds in D2. Not to mention how correct
this guy is about the lack of choice for stat points. Straight up, it was enough str for gear
then all vit. Real !@#$in diverse guys. Seriously.
I'll take a remastered Diablo 2 any day over this game.

Act 4 is about 20 minutes if you want to do it quickly, what a shame.
I can do each act in less than 15 minutes (got the achievement).

Is that in normal difficulty mode with your lvl 60 character?
D2's game director didn't give up his position within one year after the game released. I guess that's the most different thing between D2 and D3. It's not that hard to figure out which game is greater during its age of time with this hint.
They did learn from D2.

- No more silly bossruns that are boring
- Items drop everywhere now, no more pointless grinding at Countess, Mephi or Baal with always the same maps
- You can now actually trade ingame much easier and dont need to trade through 3rd party "criminals"
- chat lobby is gone and games will always fill up. At D2 you could sit in your ancients run for hours and nobody came or search an ancients game yourself and find none
- + skill system is finally gone, at D2 only items with +2 skills were good, nobody did use an item which didnt had any kind of + skill
- Runewords that you cant get legit are gone
- no more stupid skill tree´s that made build diversity non existend, everyone had the same spec
- quest´s cant be stolen from you anymore
- set´s and legs drop more often, at D2 you could play 10 years and never get a IK armor - at D3 I found 2 allready

etc....

I definately think they improved the weak points of D2 a lot, sadly they forgot the socket quest and some other minor things, but they definately did listen to our concerns when they designed the game.
As a true D2 player you would know this, the battle net was full of our concerns.

Lets just make a list of all epic things in D2, and call em "lame".

You surely win the cookie for the most retarded post.

Please explain to me whats so "epic" about,

- not finding players for your quest´s, playing alone as nobody joins
- not finding HR´s
- not beeing able to complete IK, Tal, Gris, Mavina set´s because of missing atleast 1 super rare set piece
- spamming the trade channel for days to sell a item you found
- running the same boss all day, just because it had the highest drop chance for your desired item
- to be stuck in a game because some high lvl player did kill meph or andy, someone talked to cain etc.
- to be stuck at ancients, Anya, travi as you were alone in your game and the mobs were immun
- to lose items as there was no shared stash
- to skip 90% of the maps, just because they didnt drop items or offered a quest

D2 had so many things that were bad, the battle net was full of complaints back then. Do you really think that Blizz came up with the idea to remove boss runs, add shared stash, add more variety in specs, having a auto join for group etc. all by themselfs?

No it was us, we as Diablo community did request those things and as always Blizz does listen to people who voice their opinion and are in a majority.

Maybe if you manage to complain as loud as we did once, they make D4 like D2 was - maybe. But so far, D3 has a lot what we once demanded - a few things are missing, like the sockets but also the crafting & gambling or the companions etc. but a lot is just like we wanted it.

Please explain to me whats so "epic" about,

- not finding players for your quest´s, playing alone as nobody joins

Then you must be doing something wrong. I usually have no problem filling games. Just last week I was doing tons of Baals runs. I remember back in the day, hosting boss runs that would hit almost 1000 remakes.

- not finding HR´s

Then stop search for them? Farm the countess and sell rushes for people's hellforge. Doesn't take too long to get a decent number of HR's.

- not being able to complete IK, Tal, Gris, Mavina set´s because of missing atleast 1 super rare set piece

Trag'Oul and IK used to be my favorite sets, and would love to wear them even though they weren't the best.

You know how long it took me to find full IK or Trag by farming? 2-4 days, TOPS. If I decided trade someone, make that a couple hours.

- spamming the trade channel for days to sell a item you found

I'm in agreement here, D2 trading sucks horribly, but ruining the barter system and devaluing items by introducing an auction house was not the solution.

- running the same boss all day, just because it had the highest drop chance for your desired item

It was faster and you knew what you were getting thanks to loot tables. In the time it takes you to find 1 Legendary item in D3, I can find a stash worth of set pieces and Uniques in D2.

-to be stuck in a game because some high lvl player did kill meph or andy, someone talked to cain etc.

You were never stuck in game. If a quest bugged or someone killed a boss before a quest triggered, you could always make a new game.

- to lose items as there was no shared stash

Shared stash is good, agreed.

- to skip 90% of the maps, just because they didnt drop items or offered a quest

You do the same thing in Diablo 3. There are very few good farming areas. Instead of farming bosses in D3, you farm areas with high mob density. Not a big difference.
Are people totally insane?

D2 was so infected with cheating, duping and botting, runewords were created as a joke. It was impossible for anyone to legitly find Ber Ist Jah. I found 7 High Runes in YEARS of playing. And never found 1 Death Fathom or Tyreals, or freaking half of the Paladin set.

And then there was stat allocation. Everyone knows you just had enough STR for you gear and the rest in VIT or else you were a nOOb.

The only exception was Dex Zon's, Max Block pallys, and E-Shield Sorcs.

Everyone had the same basic end game gear. Pefect shako, Perfect !@# or CoH, Perfect anni, ect..

Edit: LOL clearly you cannot shorten up Enigma. Nice filter

Quoted for Truth.
I mean really there wasn't that much diversity in d2.
For any class there were maybe 1 or 2 useful builds. Things got
even more restrictive if you were playing at a higher level of competition.

Sure you can derp around with a handful of cute little builds
(like a friend of mine who made a bow sorc without enchant or anything
and beat diablo with white damage arrows and defensive spells before LoD came out)
but I mean... If you want to farm properly or win duels, you really only
have a couple options for your builds in D2. Not to mention how correct
this guy is about the lack of choice for stat points. Straight up, it was enough str for gear
then all vit. Real !@#$in diverse guys. Seriously.

Still had more diversity than D3 does. There are only a handful of good building in D3 too. The only difference? You can change builds anytime. There is no incentive to remake the same class and there is no uniqueness to your character.

I totally agree that if you wanted to DUEL, then you had very few options in terms of gear or builds. However, if you wanted to be a good PVE-er and farmer, you had TONS of options. I used to have tons of alts with different builds and experiments. I used to have 6 different necros alone. Summoning necro was the bees knees.

D2 had a !@#$load of problems, most definitely, but completely removing the things that were good was a huge mistake. I'm not saying that D3 should add a skill tree, but it needs something to make your character unique, not just gear.

Speaking of gear, MY GOD, the gear in D3 is boring. Needs more unique affixes.
lol fusing low runes? Okay I got some things for you

xfering items - Failed to join game, Mass bot spam in all your games, spam chat etc. Now you can block them.
Set items used to be the best, then uniques, then runewords, then it became a mixture of runewords, and rare items such as the Ethreal Zerker axe with ED etc. It was a mess everything was mass duped you're so bloody retarded not as polished as this game was. Please leave and play d2, theres a reason you're still forum browsing no life its because you don't want to play d2, There I said it.

EDIT: Enjoy your unperm 45lifepcombs with 20/5/20 Small charms.
loot-hunt game is to ignore the central trading mechanism of the game, yes, you have a problem.
4 days ago

If you can't spot the problem there, stop arguing.

I'm leveling a new character. I hit 60. Unless I utterly ignore the AH, I already have enough gold just from vendoring every single piece of gear I've ever looted (since they're all worthless), and can instantly buy enough legendaries to make finding an upgrade almost completely impossible for the next few weeks/months.

I then spend the next few hundreds hours farming many, many useless rares/legendaries to turn into pocket change on the AH so I can afford my next 10 crit dmg upgrade on the AH.

Yeah, it makes it easier. Yeah, it makes droprates less enjoyable. Yeah, it removes one of the main purposes of the game, the loot hunt.

When your only option to enjoy a rewarding loot-hunt game is to ignore the central trading mechanism of the game, yes, you have a problem.

Lol have fun wasting real money going on d2jsp, and getting scammed by all the fakes. Good for you child. Have fun going to a trade game hearing WUG? No newb
lol have fun waiting in a game for 1 month to get a perf zbug fort, you are so pathetic people never acknowledge all of d2's terrible faults, Go back and play it instead of forum browse child. Obviously all of these d2 hos remain on the forums since its such a terrible game lol. *cry on the forums more.
You know you've played Diablo2 alot when
you make a shouts barb for PvP.
I can't remember if i just wasn't geared properly or what,
maybe it just didn't do enough damage.
Occasionally you could stun someone enough to kill them, though,
and it was HILARIOUS!
It's not even that this game is more loot dependent. It's that the loot is extremely boring. The whole itemization system is dull and there's no real synergy between gear and skills. What? 15% more fire damage? That's cool..

That and because your characters are permanent (on SC mode anyway), it is nearly impossible to find top-end gear.