Suggestions for WD Skills 1.0.2

Witch Doctor
Prev 1 7 8 9 17 Next
Oh i almost forgot!
Please fix the dog's AI when the foe is stunned/frozen. They do not attack!

03/12/2013 12:15 AMPosted by JangBahadur
Pets should definitely focus monsters who are attacking you, first. That would be a great AI change!

All of this. Pets are so stupid right now.

03/16/2013 08:38 PMPosted by JangBahadur
I think Haunt works at max of 3 stacks, any higher and it is in the OP range. IStacking solves the problem of accidentally casting Haunt on Haunted targets when they are amongst a crowd. Also three casts is a good number for showing the stacks visually; it goes from dull, semi-bright to ultra-bright.

Love the idea. Stacking haunt would make it much more useful in all encounters.
I think Big Toad should be able to eat a Hexed Elite.
They need to make Hungry Bats better. Well of Souls beat it in any way and fashion. WoS can go through any obstacle and the main soul can be directed and damage is way higher.

Hungry Bats is very random, smaller range, less damage.

One thing they can do is when the monster dies, you see that "fire explosion" and maybe they can let it do a Small Explosion damage when the monster dies? That will make Hungry Bats a bit more AoE friendly.
Imo,
Make hungry bats have an AoE splash with each hit. On kill is not going to work at higher MPs.
Make it target who you click on, always. Right now it's semi random, with the first hit going at the target but the rest seem to go to random enemies.
Increase LoH proc to something like 300% on the main target and then AoE can be much smaller proc rate, I dunno, 25%/enemy? (Depends on the max range of the AoE splash)
wow!!! WD's get blue posts!!!! if only one of them could find the Monk forum someday... seriously, i do not think there's ever been a blue post in the monk side since launch day...
1. Agree with OP's spirit doctor ideas, apart from WoS, nothing is worth casting, and just doesn't seem powerful enough to bother casting.

Gargantuan
2. I would love to have a new run to replace the Wrathful protector...make it similar to the D2 version where you'd sacrifice a good item and the Garg would have its stats.
Reason: With current itemization for shields being next to useless for all classes, this would actually give WD's a reason to keep shields, use them to make a 'tanky' Garg rather than a dps buff pet, surely that might open doors for new builds?

3. Sycophants.
I love these little guys, I wish there was either:
a) Keep them the same, slightly up their survivability but significantly reduce their cooldown.
b) give us permanent or semi-permanent syco's that do less damage but they're there to distract rather than kill.
i.e. different viable pet builds rather than 0 dogs would be awesome.

4. Hex. - Make them hex all mobs? regardless of rune.
Why are there certain mobs that he cannot Hex? e.g. the entombed hulk etc.
Other classes' CC skills apply for these mobs, ours should too
adding to this that Hex would be too powerful to use on bosses obviously but other classes CC works on some bosses. Please please fix this.
oh! oh! i have a suggestion:

can we please have a bigger damage radius for Cloud of Bats? i'm pretty sure Wiz's Sleet Storm is just a touch bigger. make us like that.
==================================================
1.0.2 Changes
==================================================
ABC0 - Spirit Doctor improvements
ABC1 - Spirit Barrage - Reword Phantasm tootip to indicate the cap + Mana cost should be 130
ABC4 - Haunt - overall buff + Consuming Spirit + Lingering Spirit redesign
ABC5 - Mass Confusion - various changes across the board
ABC6 - Rush of Essene - spirit skills buff

BCD0 - Fetish General improvements
BCD4 - Poison Dart - buff Numbing Dart and Snake
BCD5 - Big Bad Voodoo - Jungle Drums redesign and Boogie Man

Removed the suggestion to allow GotD - Death if Life, MC- Devolution and BBV - Boogie Man to summon Fetishes as well. I think the spells that summon Fetishes ought to be kept separate from those that summon Dogs.

CDE0 - Skills that require serious attention
CDE2 - Toad of Hugeness - unnecessary HP removed
CDE3 - Locust Swarm - buff skill overall, + other stuff
CDE4 - Acid Cloud - allow DoT to stack + buff KoD and Corpse Bomb
CDE5 - Wall of Zombies - different changes to each rune
Dead Rush is moved to this section

DEF0 - Single runes that need love
DEF3 - Fire Pit - increase proc chance
DEF6 - Unstable Form - increase damage and radius

also added a section for Passives
EFG0 - Passives that must be asserted
EFG - Circle of Life - Decaying Dogs

=================================================

Well, let me know what you think about the changes. Firebat suggestions have yet to be added. Some new ideas are coming in with recent posts that I think are worthy of discussion i.e. Iron Gargantuan. ;)
Thanks for the hard work!
Thank you JangBahadur for updating the opening post! Thanks for the time spent.

01/15/2013 03:47 AMPosted by JangBahadur
ZeMickey and many others feel that the damage should be doubled maybe to 720% weapon damage over 8 seconds.

Yes I did suggest this, in case the main fix I suggest (eg make it stack!) is not selected ;-)

01/15/2013 03:47 AMPosted by JangBahadur
Acid Rain is already liked for it's wide radius, survivability boost and epic feel. So allow the DoT to only stack on Slow Burn, the individual Lob Blobs and Kiss of Death.

No!! Please don't indirectly nerf acid rain!
The DoT should stack on acid rain as well, since the radius only applies to the initial cast only!
The radius of the DoT is the exact same of slow burn, but reduced to 3s instead of the 6s (which make them even since slow burn will be more efficient in terms of proc chance in the pool).
Haha yeah you did I totally messed that up. But hmm I am not sure whether it is a good idea for Locusts to stack. I'd rather only cast them once, except for cloud of insects.

since the radius only applies to the initial cast only!

That initial cast gives Acid Rain a much better proc than SB and LBB thus more survivability. Also Acid Rain is used so much more than SB and LBB because it feels stronger. I think it's fine as it is. It has a good place even in a world where every other AC DoTs stack.

thoughts?
03/21/2013 09:11 AMPosted by JangBahadur
That initial cast gives Acid Rain a much better proc than SB

It gives 200% LoH on its center, decreasing with radius. But that is not stackable as much as SB. Thus you may select one or the other depending on you playstyle: acid rain for more burst LoH, SB for more overall procs.
My point: it is not because people 'feels' acid rain being more stronger, that it actually is. They are basically the same, each just suits a certain playstyle.

03/21/2013 09:11 AMPosted by JangBahadur
It has a good place even in a world where every other AC DoTs stack.

The day SB stacks damage (over 6s!!!), acid rain will see no more use.
Because SB will be at a top of ASx6x50% per second (say for example 510% damage per second on DoTs for a mere 1.7 AS) while AR will be stuck at 50%. So yeah 10 times the damage, choice will be solved fast.
Ok point taken. I will change it.

I think this is how the AC runes should specialize:
AR - survivability, larger aoe
LBB - ?
SB - ?
KoD - more proc chance and dmg
CB - burst damage

What roles do see LBB and SB fulfilling? How are they different? It seems that 3 Blobs, 250 ea, is doing max 750% damage where as SB does max 510% (at 2 ias it does 600%). LBB seems superior to SB.
Imo,
Make hungry bats have an AoE splash with each hit. On kill is not going to work at higher MPs.
Make it target who you click on, always. Right now it's semi random, with the first hit going at the target but the rest seem to go to random enemies.
Increase LoH proc to something like 300% on the main target and then AoE can be much smaller proc rate, I dunno, 25%/enemy? (Depends on the max range of the AoE splash)

Yeah, Hungry Bats needs SOMETHING. The aoe on kill is the idea I got from the explosion graphic.

They can go for AoE on critical hit or a tiny 6' radius AoE Splash. Both shouldn't be overpowering as the Bats are quite random. I can deal with the randomness but the damage is just beyond terrible for a group of monsters. It is even not that good against 3 Champions.
As for Zombie Charger, I believe it is actually one of the worst Designed Skill for WD because one rune completely dominates the other. It's not even close.

The other 4 runes either don't stand out or make little sense.

Leperous Zombie

The Poison Cloud is leaves behind is just too small. I can barely tell what it does. For Poison Cloud type of thing to work, the Zombie needs to walk further, think of it as Fire Wall type. I am not really a fan of DoT damage to be honest as 240% over 3s is still only 80% weapon damage that you can't stack. The duration is so short that it's unlikely somebody would cast Leperious once every 3s just to get the DoT portion. The main zombie is only 205%.

If the goal is to make it more like Fire Wall type of rune, then Zombie needs to Travel Further, causes Bigger Poison Cloud and increases DoT damage to 100% per second.
-------------------

Undeath

Death "proc" is usually meant for farming easier monsters so the proc happens often but honestly, with Zombie's walking speed and traveling distance, this Death Proc simply doesn't work well.

If the goal is to make it a good farming skill, Traveling Distance, Speed needs to be greatly increased. I would even up the damage a bit to 230%.

----------------

Wave of Zombies

I actually have used this rune quite a bit because I love the idea behind it. I've always associated Zombies in "Waves", big numbers of them. The problem, AGAIN, is the walking distance and damage. To get "good" damage, I have to stand very very close to the monster so all 3 zombies can hit the same target. At that distance, I believe Zombie Bear is simply better doing 236% EACH and if two Bears hit, it easily beats 3 Zombies by a very large margin.

We need to correct this.

I believe Waves of Zombie is easier to use as you can sort of predict where the 3 zombies come out. It is a bit easier to line up. To make them more attractive, Traveling Distance need to be larger and damage needs to be way higher than 115%. If only one zombie hits, it does way less damage than even a Primary like Splinter.

------------------

Explosive Beast

To be honest, this is just a very boring rune. Nothing really stands out. If I want a point-and-click long range Target AoE, I would choose Corpse Bomb over Beast or simply Firebomb. Beast's damage is a bit higher but it can easily get blocked by objects (since it comes out from behind you).

I would re-do this Rune. Make it 2 or 3 Dogs coming out at Single Target, doing Fire Damage. Why mostly Single Target? Because the whole Zombie Charger skill does AoE already. I would rather Dogs doing something more different and unique.

I would go for 3 Dogs running at the target (semi-homing), doing 115% each and explode on contact doing 4' radius Fire AoE damage of maybe 30-40%.

-----------

Another idea for Explosive Beast is turning them into Arcane Orbit. You summon 2-4 Dogs that follow you and they'll go out and attack/explode. This may satisfy "summoner-build" more.
Generally agree with Jibikao -

So much potential with Zombie Charger beyond the current 1 hit wonder.

Look at Monk heavy hitting skills addressed in the last patch: Wave of light has various useful runes. Lightning Tail Kick, while not very popular overall, has various useful runes. With both you can pick between a stun rune, and increased damage rune, and other unique effects.

Even if one is the most efficient rune the others are close enough to throw in for variety when you get bored, and/or have a specific game play element worth using in specific situations such as adding a stun element to uber runs and High MP.
Hi Zuggles!

Guys, just ask yourself this question, if Zombie Charger has no Zombie Bear, would you even use Zombie Charger? I know I won't. Mana cost is high, projectile speed and radius are small and damage isn't that amazing. It is actually a terrible Skill as a whole. Only Bear saves the day.

And really, let's compare Charger with Arcane Orb. Arcane Orb can rune up to 260% on explosion and it goes much further and can rune for a pretty large Piercing Orb or 20' radius explosion and MUCH easier to use and aim.
03/21/2013 10:38 AMPosted by JangBahadur
What roles do see LBB and SB fulfilling? How are they different? It seems that 3 Blobs, 250 ea, is doing max 750% damage where as SB does max 510% (at 2 ias it does 600%). LBB seems superior to SB.

Your calculation is a bit off again.
Considering they both stack (currently don't) AND that we are not limited in blobs (currently limited to 3):
Each blob does 50% per second. As does each SB (Slow Burn). So on a single large target SB could stack up to 600% per second if 2 AS (6s duration, 50% per second). LBB could stack up to 500% with 2 AS (5s duration, 50% per second)

SB, LBB, and AR have all a reason to exists, and are really different. So I don't know why you would want to erase them:
  • SB has a larger but fixed radius compared to LBB. Blobs have a small radius, but in addition they get movement and can serve as meat shields. So both have pros and cons.
  • SB will be better to damage/proc a single target or a non moving group than LBB. LBB is more flexible, will be better on crowd management, may replace pets, will be more of cast and forget, and could be better in dps against moving targets.
  • SB will be close to acid rain (as it is nowadays). SB will defeat AR for maximum potential damage on single non moving target (up to 600% per sec for 2 AS, against 300% for AR) but will be defeated by AR on large crowd due to the large AOE of AR.
  • SB is, and will be better for proc on stun/freeze than AR (and LBB) since you may stack more proc over 6s than on 3s.
  • AR is and will be better than SB or LBB for burst LoH (200% against 100% for SB, and 33% for LBB) but will lack safety against foe's freeze or while kiting (as the 6s duration gives you LoH for a longer period).
  • Regarding Haunt I have an idea. But first some points:

Dots stacking:
    NO! Just... no. Even if it just stack 2 times it will be problematic for pvp later. Let´s not solve a problem creating another. And making it stack will make it compete with Soul Barrage.

Damage upgrade:
    I think this is the last thing we should try to improve in each skill, just when there is no hope for other kind of fix.

Chages:
    The less we change the skill the more the chances we have that our suggestion will be implemented. Also, trying to keep the original concept idea of the skill and of the runes help too.

So, based on that here is what i think:

1) When haunt jumps to another target the skill duration must be reseted. In the beggining it lasted for 12 seconds, but now it only remain for 6 seconds, so it must be refreshed when it jumps to make this feature usefull

2) The main change: apply Lingering Spirit hability to all the runes. So now you could cast haunt when you are alone before entering combat and stack up to 3 haunts on yourself. So when you face a mob the haunt will spread to them and you will have your mana pool full and dont need to waste any atack turn casting it.
    The mana rune can be usefull even without Rush of essence this way.
    For the Lingering Spirit rune to keep it´s original ideia it could upgrade the number of haunts you can stack on yourself or make the haunt of dead enemies come back to you when there are no new targets to wait 10 more seconds for another monster or both of these effects.

With this changes haunt will be a lot more usefull, worth a space on the skill bar, will be different from the others skills and wont cause any new problen to pvp.
    ZeMickey,
    Ok that sounds correct but LBB do not tank.