[Mac] Unable to use 1080p again :(

Mac Technical Support
It appears that right alongside the World of Warcraft 5.2 PTR client, the Diablo 3 1.0.7 PTR client is also unable to use 1920x1080p, despite the new resolutions model being in use under Mac OS X. Unfortunately, SwitchResX's redirect feature, which normally lets me redirect any calls to 1080i into 1080p instead, is unable to compensate for this client's display mode handling, and as such, the display is a headache inducing blurry mess.

Note: Because the OS X client now uses hardcoded resolution scaling instead of either VESA or EDID timing information from the monitor/TV, switching to a lower resolution and then back to the native resolution of 1080p does not work, nor does using CMD-M to toggle screen modes.

This issue persists regardless of whether or not Diablo 3 is started when the desktop resolution is already 1080p.

Sorry S4d1k, but it looks like we're going to have to get this working again. :(

Machkhan, is it intended that all Mac specific bugs for the PTR client get redirected here? If so, a sticky noting that the poster should post their Mac OS X PTR client bugs here using the [PTR] tag in their thread title would be greatly appreciated.

If it is not intended that actual PTR client bugs (Mac or otherwise) are redirected, please let Vasadan know that. :)

Thank you!

It is more or less unofficial that post Mac PTR Bugs here. I'd say yes, as I can gather direct data for the team. Like right meow.

Tia, can you post your full system specs, including the make/model for your display? We need more infoz to help you out.

1. Launch Diablo III.
    2. Put Diablo III into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i49.tinypic.com/33njnzn.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)
Silly sheep, I already have a profile ready for ya. I keep it around for just such an occasion. :D

Hardware Overview:

• Model Name: Mac Pro
  • Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
  • Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  • Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
  • Number Of Processors: 2
  • Total Number Of Cores: 4
  • L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
  • Memory: 7 GB
  • Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
  • Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
  • SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

ATI Radeon HD 5870:

• Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5870
  • Type: GPU
  • Bus: PCIe
  • Slot: Slot-1
  • PCIe Lane Width: x16
  • VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
  • Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
  • Device ID: 0x6898
  • Revision ID: 0x0000
  • ROM Revision: 113-C0780C-194
  • EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436
  • Displays:
    • SAMSUNG:
      • Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
      • Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
      • Main Display: Yes
      • Mirror: Off
      • Online: Yes
      • Rotation: Supported
      • Television: Yes
    • Display Connector:
    • Display Connector:

System Software Overview:

• System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
  • Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
  • Boot Mode: Normal
  • Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
  • 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
  • Modem: Motorola SB6141
  • Router: Netgear N900 (WNDR4500) Firmware V1.0.1.6_1.0.24
  • ISP: Comcast

I've also checked this on my Lion partition as well (10.7.5) and the results are identical. 10.8.2 also exhibits this issue as well (yes, I have that installed too, despite being on a Mac Pro 1,1). I always check to see if any issues I find persist between OS versions to try and rule out a specific OS version being the problem. Thankfully in this case, the resolutions handling between OSes hasn't changed since the initial screwup by Apple switching from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

The last thing keeping me from either Lion or (preferrably) Mountain Lion is finding an elegant solution to killing OS X's mouse acceleration. Apple disabled the terminal command after Snow Leopard and trying to play games with it on just doesn't work for me.

Edit: Silly me, I forgot my profile didn't include the exact make/model of the TV I use.

My TV is the Samsung UN32C6500 32" TV, firmware version 1022.

same problem here! No more glorious 1080p - Lower resolution and even slower/laggy mouse play... Please Fix!

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63b)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 1 day14:23

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MM51.0077.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.75f0

Graphics/Displays:

AMD Radeon HD 6630M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6630M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0171H-561
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.561
Displays:
LG TV:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Thanks. We're tracking this issue. We'll provide updates as they come along. Did you try what Tia suggested?
TheTias... Glad (but not glad) to see you have the same issues as me... Thought I was crazy. My mouse acceleration sucks too. The poor, fuzzy resolutions and mouse lag make the new patch unplayable for me. So upset! I didnt see any suggestions for correcting this problem on my own. Any tips how to fix before Blizzard steps in would be greatly appreciated.... Cheers!
Do you know if doing what Tia suggest resolved the issue?
Machkhan...
thanks for quick response. i dont see any suggestion from TheTias. Maybe Im missing it and no doubt im a rookie, If there is a suggestion by you or Tia, please repeat. Very much hoping to get back into the game and so far, everything i do, the game rez is still low and the mouse is very slow (to the point that i cant even pick up an item without serious effort). Thanks much for your efforts...
I did try TheTia's suggestion writing his line in Terminal app, sadly with no luck. I have been playing with game Windowed, which seems to work. When I toggle Fullcreen, it works for about one seconds then flashes over to lower rez (not 1080p) and mouse lags. Plz post any other fixes.
Problem solved! I did everything you suggested except I began game windowed and then switched to fullscreeen. Now starting in fullscreen after your terminal line works! Thanks tons!