What really happened to Deckard Cain?

General Discussion
Something else has to be going on here. Let's be honest. Deckard is way to BA to get killed by butterflies.

My theory is, it was all a set up, and its going to turn out sending him to Hell made him crazy powerful, and the next expansion he will be the boss. He'll prolly be called "the primeiest evil".

After 20 years of fighting off Evil and helping champions down Diablo and Baal, he got no credit. Where would Diablo 1 champions be if he wasn't there to identify things for them? Where would Diablo 2 champions be if he hadn't told them every little thing they needed to do every step of the way. But did he get a thank you? NO! We never even gave him any of our loot, and just 'expected' him to keep on identifying items for free and guiding us through the journey while taking all the glory for ourselves.

He had enough. It was time for Deckard Cain to get his.

After all, if he was really a good guy, wouldn't his name be Deckard Abel?

Think about it.
01/21/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Clëan
It almost sounded like he was jealous of him...

"Everyone listens to Deckard Cain, why won't they listen to me!? We'll I'll have the last laugh! BWAHAHAHAHA"
Wilson killed him for no good reason. It almost sounded like he was jealous of him... now our Deckard is gone... can you believe it? Diablo is female, deckard is gone.... don't even want to get started...

Its like he was saying everything you like about Diablo is wrong, now you have to like it my way. And double it.
Wilson killed him for no good reason. It almost sounded like he was jealous of him... now our Deckard is gone... can you believe it? Diablo is female, deckard is gone.... don't even want to get started...

Wait, i thought Metzen was behind the story? Granted I never bothered to see who was officially behind it, I just heard Metzen's name come up in the past when referring to Diablo 3's story.
Something else has to be going on here. Let's be honest. Deckard is way to BA to get killed by butterflies.

My theory is, it was all a set up, and its going to turn out sending him to Hell made him crazy powerful, and the next expansion he will be the boss. He'll prolly be called "the primeiest evil".

After 20 years of fighting off Evil and helping champions down Diablo and Baal, he got no credit. Where would Diablo 1 champions be if he wasn't there to identify things for them? Where would Diablo 2 champions be if he hadn't told them every little thing they needed to do every step of the way. But did he get a thank you? NO! We never even gave him any of our loot, and just 'expected' him to keep on identifying items for free and guiding us through the journey while taking all the glory for ourselves.

He had enough. It was time for Deckard Cain to get his.

After all, if he was really a good guy, wouldn't his name be Deckard Abel?

Think about it.

What is this I don't even...
It wasn't obvious enough that Adria will be the boss
of the expansion and is possibly Baal or Mephisto or something?
It wasn't obvious enough that Adria will be the boss
of the expansion and is possibly Baal or Mephisto or something?

Did you expect Cain to get killed by a butterfly? No. This story is just chock full of surprises!
Cain took a butterfly to the knee...

I was hoping for a Cain angel towards the end with ID ALL and give me a shiny cube to stick mah goodies in..
Think about it Cain is the single toughest person in the entire Diablo series. He just sits around identifying you items while hell itself is on the loose in Diablo 1 around him like it's no big deal. In Diablo 2 he is just left in a cage in Tristram surrounded by demons and undead presumably because they're all too afraid to get close enough to try and kill him. When you go get him he just walks out and opens a portal like there no reason he couldn't have done it before and all the monsters around are too afraid to stop him anyway. If for some reason you decide not to "rescue" him from the cage that is keeping the demons safe from him he just shows up in act 2 ready to ID some items like the cage was some sort of vacation for him. He's also the last of the Horadrim Tyreal's own personal team of the most powerful mages. In D3 he survives some huge explosion and falling down like 5 floors and being hunted by the skeleton king. So I put forth that he had to die otherwise it wouldn't make sense why he didn't just go kill all the demons himself and it had to be butterflies from something out of a fairy tale to get him to let his guard down otherwise he would have just karate chopped something actually threatening in half with his old man fists of fury.
Jay Wilson didn't like how his voice was, so he killed him. Now I spend 1/4th of my time playing Diablo identifying items. Thanks jay. If there was any question why you were the most hated man alive when diablo 3 came out, look no further for an explanation.
when wilson kill deckard kill all the saga
01/21/2013 08:06 PMPosted by smitacus
In Diablo 2 he is just left in a cage in Tristram surrounded by demons and undead presumably because they're all too afraid to get close enough to try and kill him.

Perhaps this is when he hatched his plan and made a pact with the demons! Its all coming together.
With all the outcry, I bet Cain returns in an expansion. Maybe an angel (they're dead afterall, right?)
All Cain ever wanted was for us to "Stay awhile, and listen." It took his death for us to realize how important he was!

If he's not really dead, and those butterflies couldn't really kill him, I'll spend some time listening to his stories in the expansion!!!
Cain took a butterfly to the knee...

I used to be a Vault Hunter like you...
then i took a bullet to the knee!
BorderRim 2
BorderRim 2

One of the guys in Sanctuary (ironically enough)
from Borderlands 2 actually says:

I used to be a Vault Hunter like you...then i took a bullet to the knee!

That wasn't me trying to act like i'm cool or something.