S&B QA Part 3

Barbarian
Prev 1 2 3 25 Next
The main problem I have with the five piece IK set is that the bonus doesn't generate fury involuntarily, but via your hits and incoming hits. In addition, I really don't think that the Immortal King's Helm or Strides are BIS any more -- it's the Mempo of Twilight and Ice Climbers.

Fury generation is an issue, but I was talking to another well known Barbarian about some of the passives and instead of say, Juggernaut, he went with Superstition. It generates a great deal of fury off elemental damage from Witch Doctors, Monks, Wizards; it's a great passive in place of Unforgiving because the Barb can take so much damage (providing he doesn't stand still).

Thanks for your inputs man, most of us here have our mempo's and ice climbers in our stash for future use. cheers

Nike

Yeah I was wondering the same as well, when I put my 5 set on it seems the fury regen has a glitch in it and I wana say i regen .5 fury per second without unforgiving. It does generate fury, just isnt as noticable as unforgiving, maybe this is something we can bring up as a bug or is it intended that way? Because the way I read it is, that you generate 2 additional fury.. i.e the same as unforgiving. The weird thing is even doing nothing, you will get fury regen from the IK set, so it should be the same as unforgiving, right?
I currently use a 24% block 8% crit ss. Should I get a 10% crit one even if the block is only 22%?

34% is more of a later goal :).

Edit: Was being indecisive looking at the ss with 22% Block and 10% crit for 12m... ended up not buying it and now i regret.

edit #2: 10 mins later i find this for 17m http://i45.tinypic.com/2z6wnso.jpg Seemed like a good buy

Dont sacrafice all that block for 10 CC. I think as long as your getting 9 CC you should be fine. I think an important stat to look at when finding a good SS is the strength amount and elite reduction amount as well. Shoot for 190 strength and 7 elite reduction.

I.E. a 9CC shield with 196 strength is better than a 10CC with 170 Strength.

28% block is probably the lowest block I would ever suggest, but would definetly shoot for 30+
Im about to drop 1.2-1.5bil into my SNB. I hope to defeat mp10 ubers.

Any advice would be appreciated :P

I got a nice sword I am selling if you're interested. :)

28% block is probably the lowest block I would ever suggest, but would definetly shoot for 30+

Is the one in my screenshot decent enough to last me for a while?
@vict3r damn bro.. nice ms ice climbers!

id say invest in a good StormShield.. higher end cc (9+) and 30+ block chance.. u will lose some vit but u can afford it im sure.. the reduce damage stats should counter that somewhat anyway..

as for the rest of ur gear.. these guys have a better idea how to setup gear than i.. wait for more advise from them :)

Thanks! I like my rare shield because the added vit and str usually out weights 10% more block on the ehp calculators I've tried. You'll notice my shield also has melee dam reduce. Although I'm not opposed to upgrading my shield I think and upgrade to my weapon or jewelry or armor is better

1 - Weapon - Shoot for a wep with higher dps and CD. If you can find similiar stats then that would be preferred, but you should forget about trying to get life steal on your wep. Use you wep for massive DPS.

2 - Belt - Need high AR on your belt., 70+. I would suggest the IK Belt, as you will be giving up LS on your weapon for the higher DPS. But if you like the witching hour then go for one with 60/70+ AR. This will free up your ammy from having to have AR.

3 - Pants - Higher AR and 2 Socket.

4 - Ammy - Think you can craft a better one, wouldnt buy one.

5 - Helm - Try to get an IK helm with 60+ AR or a mempo if you end up getting an IK belt.

6 - Shield - Up to you, I do think once you can get some more vit in other areas, you will be able to get a very nice SS and be comfortable.

7 - Rest - Slow upgrades over time, you have a very nice gear build going on, just going to be the little things like a little AR here, little strength here, ect.

Suggestion - If your not going to get an IK 5 Set, I would suggest getting BT Chest and Pants to increase your vit and overall HP/EHP. Getting as many set bonus as possible really helps.... in your case IK 2 or 3 Set and BT 2 set.

Dont look at my profiile, I am better with my BT Chest on, because I am getting more than one set bonus, I just have the IK Chest for PVP set up and am trying it out.

Is the one in my screenshot decent enough to last me for a while?

Yes, that is nice SS for sure. Will last you a very long time. Not perfect, but I dont think perfect is within your budget right now, so go for it!
Alright, thanks for the help!
Im about to drop 1.2-1.5bil into my SNB. I hope to defeat mp10 ubers.

Any advice would be appreciated :P

Drop big buys in the following spots.

Weapon - Spend around 500 on the best one you can get, need big investment here, nice weapons dont come cheap. Shoot for 1200+ DPS, OS, CD, any other stat whether vit or strength is a bonus.

Chest - Spend about 400 here, see Nike's new chest, he got it for 400.

Helm - Spend around 300 here for a nice AR IK Helm

SOJ - Get one with a Skill you actually use, probably dont need to go above 50 here for a pretty decent one. Dont worry about Cold Dmg, you dont "need" it since your a SnB.

Any extra get some IK gloves with either AIS (8+) or CD (30+)

I am only suggesting these, because I think you need to go big or go home in these areas, as it will set your barb to the next level and are the "Building Block" areas for barbarians.

My suggestions are with the thoughts you want to keep IK 5 Set. Correct?
How do you guys think my sword and board is coming along?

any suggestions? really my left ring and gloves r pretty cheap scraps under 1 mill each so will be replacing.

just out of interest what do you guys think my 600 stat shield is worth?
@Taross

I think you went overboard on EHP. You can safely replace all vit gems with str gems since you have 105k life.

1) Weapon is fine
2) Shield has garbage block and no AR despite great str/vit. You should replace with a 30+ block SS with 9+CC.
3) Helm is weak. I think you can easily get 170+str and 6cc if you want to stick with IK. Get AR if you can afford it, but it's not a necessity since you have plenty elsewhere.
4) Gloves and left ring should be replaced as you pointed out.
5) Shoulders are fine
6) Amulet is a little weak. You can definitely get more cc/cd on it.
7) Chest is ok for now, but eventually you want to upgrade to a higher str chest with equiv life (high vit or med vit with life%)
8) Bracers/Boots/Belt are individually fine, but ideally you'd like at least 1 and preferably 2 MS items in these slots. My preference is MS IC/Lacuni/good rare with high str/vit/ar/armor/2 OS, but I understand that it can be very expensive.
9) Since you have LS on weapon, you can either go good IK belt or WH here. Either would be superior to your rare belt.
10) Right ring is ok for now.

Hope that helps.
Now i could be wrong so dont quote me but from what read somewhere barbs have inherent -2 fury generation so if you just wear 5 piece ik it brings your passive regeneration to 0 meaning you dont loose or gain fury. Now unforgiving gives 2 fury but the passive also says that you no longer degenerate fury taking care of the -2 part of our degen.

So since you no longer degen the -2 thanks to unforgiving you are gaining 4 fury per sec thanks to the 2 which is about 20 fury over 5 seconds which just so happens to be the fury cost and the duration of sprint allowing 100% uptime on sprint marathon.
@Taross

I think you went overboard on EHP. You can safely replace all vit gems with str gems since you have 105k life.

1) Weapon is fine
2) Shield has garbage block and no AR despite great str/vit. You should replace with a 30+ block SS with 9+CC.
3) Helm is weak. I think you can easily get 170+str and 6cc if you want to stick with IK. Get AR if you can afford it, but it's not a necessity since you have plenty elsewhere.
4) Gloves and left ring should be replaced as you pointed out.
5) Shoulders are fine
6) Amulet is a little weak. You can definitely get more cc/cd on it.
7) Chest is ok for now, but eventually you want to upgrade to a higher str chest with equiv life (high vit or med vit with life%)
8) Bracers/Boots/Belt are individually fine, but ideally you'd like at least 1 and preferably 2 MS items in these slots. My preference is MS IC/Lacuni/good rare with high str/vit/ar/armor/2 OS, but I understand that it can be very expensive.
9) Since you have LS on weapon, you can either go good IK belt or WH here. Either would be superior to your rare belt.
10) Right ring is ok for now.

Hope that helps.

Im a rend kite barb. im shooting for another 20 k life and 40k dps. i dont agree about your shield suggestions as i think a pair of gloves with 50+ ar is plenty ar to go for. The massive hp gains alone from my 600 stat shield greatly outway losing 300 vit to get a ss 34% block shield which in effect only negates 3-4k damage. since i run over 70% life which will be 90% life once im done. so that 300 vit shield will give even more life ar from ss doesn't give a whole lot more options. I will have 1 in my stash but only for very few occasions.

Agree about most of the other things you have said. my main source of movement speed when i need it will be sprint marathon so really only gonna add 12 ms on my boots shortly.

really only going to get another 50+ ar on the gloves and going to leave ar where it is at.

trying to find shoulders atm close to what i have with an extra 10% life.

agree about the helm

dont agree about the ammy it is a good source of ehp.

When im done i hopefully wanna be at 3 mill ehp 140k dps rend kite barb. Wont take much more till i get there.

Should be fun:)

looking at ur barb u r more dps based i am more ehp based but when im done i will have mass live 120k+ and 140k + dps
Now i could be wrong so dont quote me but from what read somewhere barbs have inherent -2 fury generation so if you just wear 5 piece ik it brings your passive regeneration to 0 meaning you dont loose or gain fury. Now unforgiving gives 2 fury but the passive also says that you no longer degenerate fury taking care of the -2 part of our degen.

So since you no longer degen the -2 thanks to unforgiving you are gaining 4 fury per sec thanks to the 2 which is about 20 fury over 5 seconds which just so happens to be the fury cost and the duration of sprint allowing 100% uptime on sprint marathon.

You are correct. I use unforgiving with 5 piece IK for mp1 farming and i basically never run out of fury eventhough everything dies when I run through them.
@Taross

I'd like to point out that D3 requires a balance of mitigation and ehp to be most effective. Your 300+ vit from the shield is inefficient compared to the block/ar/armor of a SS. My ehp is almost the same as yours with much less life because I have much better mitigation due to higher armor/ar/block. And higher mitigation/lower life makes your sustain (loh/ls/regen) much more effective.

Incidentally once I mug Baller and steal his sword, I'll add 41k dps to my barb. :P
@Taross

I'd like to point out that D3 requires a balance of mitigation and ehp to be most effective. Your 300+ vit from the shield is inefficient compared to the block/ar/armor of a SS. My ehp is almost the same as yours with much less life because I have much better mitigation due to higher armor/ar/block. And higher mitigation/lower life makes your sustain (loh/ls/regen) much more effective.

Incidentally once I mug Baller and steal his sword, I'll add 41k dps to my barb. :P

your talking about 2 different things. with my build having 120+k life is better due to the life regen and mass life pool. Im not gonna sit and trade with you or any char. with an extra 50 ar on my gloves ar is fine where it is. Any more is diminishing returns compared to the extra life pool i can possibly get. Which is why a 600 stat shield is so much better regardless of the block. block % isn't like it was in d2 when a block if it lands stops all damage.

i would much rather having double your life at 60k especially in the current state of pvp atm.
@Taross

your talking about 2 different things. with my build having 120+k life is better due to the life regen and mass life pool. Im not gonna sit and trade with you or any char. with an extra 50 ar on my gloves ar is fine where it is. Any more is diminishing returns compared to the extra life pool i can possibly get. Which is why a 600 stat shield is so much better regardless of the block. block % isn't like it was in d2 when a block if it lands stops all damage.

i would much rather having double your life at 60k especially in the current state of pvp atm.

Well this is what is cool about the PVP at the moment, you can pick and choose your strategy.

I personally found the SS to be very effective today with the elite reduction working again, but I can certainly see how the extra life can benefit you with a regen strategy.... you need a lot of DPS to kill a nice regen barb. However, regen working much more effective with more mitigation. My regen was like 2500 or so, but due to my high level of mitigation, I am able to hang in there with some very high EHP barbs and even better against other high dps classes.

Both work, different way to skin a cat.... I think the SS looks cool :) and I think 4K dmg block is nice, makes regen better.
your talking about 2 different things. with my build having 120+k life is better due to the life regen and mass life pool. Im not gonna sit and trade with you or any char. with an extra 50 ar on my gloves ar is fine where it is. Any more is diminishing returns compared to the extra life pool i can possibly get. Which is why a 600 stat shield is so much better regardless of the block. block % isn't like it was in d2 when a block if it lands stops all damage.i would much rather having double your life at 60k especially in the current state of pvp atm.

If we have roughly the same ehp but you have more life, regen is less efficient for you. One life regenerated for me does the work of almost 1.7 life for you. High life needs to be backed up by high mitigation as well, otherwise it becomes ineffective. If we both have inspiring presence, your paper regen is higher but mine does the same work, and my regen from other sources such as Vile Wards are better than your regen from other sources.

You are also making the mistake of looking at only block%. A SS also provides higher armor and huge amounts of AR that your shield doesn't provide as well as elite and melee damage reduction. 13% in my case which is HUGE.

Thanks! I like my rare shield because the added vit and str usually out weights 10% more block on the ehp calculators I've tried. You'll notice my shield also has melee dam reduce. Although I'm not opposed to upgrading my shield I think and upgrade to my weapon or jewelry or armor is better

1 - Weapon - Shoot for a wep with higher dps and CD. If you can find similiar stats then that would be preferred, but you should forget about trying to get life steal on your wep. Use you wep for massive DPS.

2 - Belt - Need high AR on your belt., 70+. I would suggest the IK Belt, as you will be giving up LS on your weapon for the higher DPS. But if you like the witching hour then go for one with 60/70+ AR. This will free up your ammy from having to have AR.

3 - Pants - Higher AR and 2 Socket.

4 - Ammy - Think you can craft a better one, wouldnt buy one.

5 - Helm - Try to get an IK helm with 60+ AR or a mempo if you end up getting an IK belt.

6 - Shield - Up to you, I do think once you can get some more vit in other areas, you will be able to get a very nice SS and be comfortable.

7 - Rest - Slow upgrades over time, you have a very nice gear build going on, just going to be the little things like a little AR here, little strength here, ect.

Suggestion - If your not going to get an IK 5 Set, I would suggest getting BT Chest and Pants to increase your vit and overall HP/EHP. Getting as many set bonus as possible really helps.... in your case IK 2 or 3 Set and BT 2 set.

Dont look at my profiile, I am better with my BT Chest on, because I am getting more than one set bonus, I just have the IK Chest for PVP set up and am trying it out.

Thx BALLER!
I will definelty work on your suggestions. My question was more about bringing my dps up since I'm comfortable with my current ehp. However you answered my question about my weapon. So I'm gonna try and find one without life steal and get life steal on belt instead. It just sucks cause witching hour brings up my dps quite a bit.
01/24/2013 06:41 AMPosted by Celanian
your talking about 2 different things. with my build having 120+k life is better due to the life regen and mass life pool. Im not gonna sit and trade with you or any char. with an extra 50 ar on my gloves ar is fine where it is. Any more is diminishing returns compared to the extra life pool i can possibly get. Which is why a 600 stat shield is so much better regardless of the block. block % isn't like it was in d2 when a block if it lands stops all damage.i would much rather having double your life at 60k especially in the current state of pvp atm.

If we have roughly the same ehp but you have more life, regen is less efficient for you. One life regenerated for me does the work of almost 1.7 life for you. High life needs to be backed up by high mitigation as well, otherwise it becomes ineffective. If we both have inspiring presence, your paper regen is higher but mine does the same work, and my regen from other sources such as Vile Wards are better than your regen from other sources.

You are also making the mistake of looking at only block%. A SS also provides higher armor and huge amounts of AR that your shield doesn't provide as well as elite and melee damage reduction. 13% in my case which is HUGE.

last time i checked 300 str each 300 defence and 300 vit equals the same with the right passive nerves of steel. agree about the ar but really with my build 75 does not equal 300 vit 300 defence extra.

we still dont know if when 1.07 goes live if the % damage reduction to elites will apply to other players or not. 6% reduction for melee is great but i only will have issues with casters the majority of the time so will only need it every now and then when i swap ss on.
I thought it was confirmed that players are considered elites in next patch? Guess i heard wrong?