My very first Diablo game

General Discussion
So just wanted to drop in and say a quick hello.

This is my very first Diablo game. I actually have no experience of any of the previous games or even the franchise itself. It is also a first game in this genre. I've played MMOs and that to its only been WoW but this is something totally new.

I have been reading a lot of negativity about the game but am taking it a bit slow.

Is there any advice someone could give me for a game of Diablo's size or anything I should keep in mind?

Cheers.
The Diablo franchise has always been about repetitive gameplay. Basically, you're grinding the same stuff in hopes of good loot to drop.

It's actually quite fun and addicting :)
01/24/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Ebonheart
Is there any advice someone could give me for a game of Diablo's size or anything I should keep in mind?

I wouldn't even visit the forums until you play the game yourself, you don't want a bias opinion from a bitter little kid on these forums trying to get you to be miserable and not enjoy the game like him.
^^^
this-
i am of the same ilk,
Never played naythign til wow and now diablo 3 for something a little different and not so friggin massivley intense and overwhelming (even though it is a blast)
This game is great- repetitive to only those to play too much.
enjoy yourself, most of us do with D3.
the few that don't are always on here whining- don't spend too much if any time in general chat- take a look at class discussions- they arent as bad
have fun!
Advice to you is to stay away from the General Discussion Forums if you don't want to read about Negativity(it's full of Hateful Noobs/Scrubs/Trolls/Elitist Jerks and so on). . .

Better to drop by the Classes Forums for whichever class you are going to play, also Hardcore Forums is much more friendly there, or some other unofficial forums.
I'm in the same boat as you OP, and I'm around 500-600h in and still having fun. The most negatives ones tend to be those that played the earlier games in the franchise, and/or other games of this genre and had specific expectations for it. I didn't know what to expect, nor did I have anything to compare it to, and I'm more than satisfied.

My pieces of advice would be a) don't come to these forums again, or the negativity will start rubbing off you, and b) avoid the auction houses for as long as possible. If you either end up getting stuck, or simply end up clearing the content, then start looking online for theorycrafting and specific directions.
Play 2 first its a ton more fun and you can see what they left out from this game.
I've decided on the Demon Hunter cause its always been one of the classes I've wanted in WoW.

I've played the starter edition till around level 8 and quite enjoyed the class.

However, is there anything I should keep in mind regarding Demon Hunters.

Like what kind of stats should I focus on and what type of gear am I looking at?
01/24/2013 02:10 PMPosted by VitaminEZ

I wouldn't even visit the forums until you play the game yourself, you don't want a bias opinion from a bitter little kid on these forums trying to get you to be miserable and not enjoy the game like him.

^ this
01/24/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Duragan
Play 2 first its a ton more fun and you can see what they left out from this game.

Couldn't agree more. The biggest problem with D3 is what they left behind in D2 LOD.
So just wanted to drop in and say a quick hello.

This is my very first Diablo game. I actually have no experience of any of the previous games or even the franchise itself. It is also a first game in this genre. I've played MMOs and that to its only been WoW but this is something totally new.

I have been reading a lot of negativity about the game but am taking it a bit slow.

Cheers.

if this is your first diablo game than you should have alot of fun with it. just take your time, don't buy gold or use the ah while leveling to 60 (save it or invest in your stash size, use stuff you found. it'll get you alot more time out of leveling)

also when you hit 60 on a character try the other classes. theres all pretty fun to level and for the most part play pretty different.

you can easily get 20+ hours out of getting 1 character to 60. which is about the samde as you get out of other 60 dollar games. if you level all 5 of them to level 60 you'll get more than your moneys worth.

the reason why we all bag on this game is the former game director had a very shady way of going about things. and was taking the franchise away from its roots, and not being open about his plans. the entire community would ask for something and he'd just throw out the opposite. if you've been a long time diablo fan than there are alot of small things that would disapoint you. but as a first time player you should have alot of fun.

once your level 60 things become all about your gear. so farming gets really repetitive. but it has a slot machine kind of allure to it.you'll get excited when you first see that pillar of light on a legendary item. (although to a decently geared player 95% of legendaries are useless) just seeing them drop always gives me a rush.

so welcome to the community! here on the forums 90% of the people here are hostile. but don't let that deter you. alot of the people you meet with usually be pretty good company in game.

I've decided on the Demon Hunter cause its always been one of the classes I've wanted in WoW.

I've played the starter edition till around level 8 and quite enjoyed the class.

However, is there anything I should keep in mind regarding Demon Hunters.

Like what kind of stats should I focus on and what type of gear am I looking at?

typically demon hunters tend to be the squishiest class. but also on average put out the most damage. there are obviously alot of exceptions to this, as you can gear either way. with the right skills and passives demon hunters are very very mobile and are good at not getting trapped. I used to play demon hunter around the games launch but got frustrated with the constant getting 1 shotted in inferno (this was due to the game being new and not alot of gear avilible/inferno difficulty higher/ not knowing how to correctly gear) so I played other classes.

if you look at my profile you can see demon hunter is my 3rd highest played class (ignore the gear as its all bad stuff I just threw on there cuz it wasn't worth selling) with barb being 2nd and wizard being first

I would offer to add you in game and help, but I am on a temporary hiatus from the game so as to raise my gpa in college, I'll return at the end of the quarter. so if your still playing maybe we can be friends then :D

I just stick to the forums for now lol

Sure I would like that. I'll leave my Battletag here. You can add me whenever you log back in.

It is Ebonheart #1733

By the way I know what you mean about Demon Hunters. They are quite squishy. What other class would you suggest I level first?
Suggestion, stay out of the forums and just play. Do what is fun. Come back after you pass level 60 and enter Inferno and wonder what you need to do to improve your Hero.
I would suggest starting off with a barbarian just because of the survivability. You will be able to get a good feel for the game without dying to much. Monks also have fairly good survivability, but get extremely expensive end game
01/24/2013 05:36 PMPosted by RichardWood
I would suggest starting off with a barbarian just because of the survivability. You will be able to get a good feel for the game without dying to much. Monks also have fairly good survivability, but get extremely expensive end game

01/24/2013 05:36 PMPosted by RichardWood

I went ahead with a Demon Hunter since like I said always wanted to play the class in WoW, however I spent like 3 hours getting to the Skeleton King dying once. She was just too squishy. The slows helped. Her damage was good, but I had a very very hard time to the King; I didn't die there died on trash a bit earlier at the 4 pillars. I was overwhelmed quickly and ran out of resources.

However, you are right. I went ahead and started a barb and I blew through really quickly. I love the AOE damage and survivability and its quicker getting the red globes so I am constantly regening health. Also it took me like an hour and a few minutes to get to the SKeleton King. He didn't give me a hard time at all. I was able to burn the skeletons pretty quickly.

I actually find the barb to have a really fun play style too. Also I noted on my DH that I was getting a lot of 1-H/2-Hs and swords to drop with a really low drop rate for bows/crossbows. Its the same on my Barb so I am constantly getting frequent upgrades which I like.
OP - I suggest trying to get all 5 classes through Skeleton King. You'll get a pretty good sense of playstyles at that point. At that point, pick your favorite 1 or 2 classes you wouldn't mind sinking some serious hours into... have fun!

I made the mistake of not playing Witch Doctor until much later in game... big mistake. They are lots of fun, but I'm just too invested at this point in other characters to want to backtrack.