Please buff lower grade rubies too

General Discussion
Instead of just adding Marquise rubies whose damage is a wild jump from Radiant Star rubies (+20 to +150), please increase the damage of lower grade rubies as well. Considering the costs entailed in making a Marquise ruby there are a lot of players who will never have the disposable income to get even one. I for one really favor attack-speed based characters over CC and CD-based characters, and I'd love to be able to take advantage of rubies for that. As it stands even the second-best ruby rank (Radiant Star) is utterly useless, and buying just one of those would cost something like half my total gold.
Okay, I just thought this was a given that they were improving ALL rubies, so I didn't even question it. If indeed they are only improving the new class of ruby, I'm sad to say that it's one more blow diminishing my confidence in this dev team. I love this game, but WHY do you keep making some of these decisions? If you recognize rubies in general are underwhelming, why wouldn't you improve them ALL, instead of doing everything in illogical piecemeal?

Hopefully the improvement will be across the board.
Anyone have information on this? I assumed as well all ruby gem are getting upgrade, just spent alot of gold to make a Radiant Star Ruby, better not have been for nothing QQ
From what I can tell it seems like this is the case. I certainly hope it isn't.
Okay, I just thought this was a given that they were improving ALL rubies, so I didn't even question it. If indeed they are only improving the new class of ruby, I'm sad to say that it's one more blow diminishing my confidence in this dev team. I love this game, but WHY do you keep making some of these decisions? If you recognize rubies in general are underwhelming, why wouldn't you improve them ALL, instead of doing everything in illogical piecemeal?

Hopefully the improvement will be across the board.

Obviously they don't care anymore. Sad I was hoping they would redeem themselves with this patch after how many months :(.
01/25/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Gooftroop
Anyone have information on this? I assumed as well all ruby gem are getting upgrade, just spent alot of gold to make a Radiant Star Ruby, better not have been for nothing QQ

Don't worry, it won't be for nothing. Now you just need to make 2 more... :)
Wow this was one of the only reasons I was going to return and have fun on my barb was the ruby change, there is no possible way for me to make the top tier gem as im too poor but wanted to make a build around attack speed and damage for fun rather than crit/crit dmg

Can someone on the PTR confirm the only rubys getting love is the highest tier so I can decide never to log in once the patch comes
agreed. All rubies need a buff. As is there is no point in using them in weapons.
Right now on ptr there is no buff to the existing classes of rubies. The argument I see most often is for lower level characters the ruby is already the clear choice and would render the weapons useless unless they have a socket. I think that's a bit of a cop out by people trying to preserve their emerald builds and not let a new idea into the game though. The amount of time spent getting to level 60 is tiny compared to the time after going to 100 paragon and the ruby should be built to reflect that for the majority of players who are not able to afford a marquise class gem. As is it looks like you should be hanging onto your emeralds for now.
I know that I'm planning on asking this in the upcoming 1.0.7 Q&A with the devs, and I'm sure many other people will be asking the question.

The only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to make lower level weapons with sockets completely OP for leveling characters, but even the relatively modest DPS buffs from existing rubies make socketed weapons pretty OP for leveling, so I don't really think that argument holds much water.
man......stop complaining....waw unbelievable..
If they're worried about it skewing low-level gameplay they could just buff the ones you have to craft that don't drop (perfect squares and up).
Aren't marquis lvl gems BoA? And that's the reason they are so buffed up?
01/25/2013 05:46 PMPosted by HITMANFX
man......stop complaining....waw unbelievable..

He's not complaining, he's asking a question, and it's a logical one. Why wouldn't they improve all of the rubies to offer more socketing variety? That's some bad trolling there sir.
01/25/2013 06:45 PMPosted by Wooginator
If they're worried about it skewing low-level gameplay they could just buff the ones you have to craft that don't drop (perfect squares and up).

yeah right, because when you socket a radiant star into level 15 weapon/armor its not already way op :)
what they should have done from the beginning is for each gem tier to have its own level requirement. so if you socket a radiant star (level 60) into a level 15 item, its level requirement becomes 60 until the gem is removed.
its obvious ruby gets a buff, otherwise it would be just another huge facepalm, a buff from radiant to marquise ruby to 1250% while emerald just gets a buff to 110%..... unrealistic, even acc bount, og my, face... palm
gonna keep this on the front page for attention...
01/25/2013 07:25 PMPosted by Grave

yeah right, because when you socket a radiant star into level 15 weapon/armor its not already way op :)
what they should have done from the beginning is for each gem tier to have its own level requirement. so if you socket a radiant star (level 60) into a level 15 item, its level requirement becomes 60 until the gem is removed.

hmmm where have i seen that before... oh right diablo 2.
Yeah, that would be the obvious way to do it. Or they could admit that once you level your first character 1-60 becomes meaningless and getting it done a little bit faster has almost no impact on the gameplay.
Nobody plays 1-60 anyway, and it is already a 1-shot fest by Spectrum and reduced level weapons.